2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Gulbis drops Butch

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard on the Golf Channel while Natalie was putting out that she had dropped Butch and has gone back to her father. I wonder what happened in that relationship....was it because of Phil?

I figured this might start happening, Butch is spending alot of time with Phil. It will be interesting to see if anyone else leaves him because of that.

I doubt it is because of Phil. I would bet it is because of Natalie's father.

The last story I heard (and I'm working off of shakey recollections here, so take them with a grain of salt) was that her father confronted Harmon and blamed him for Natalie's poor start to the season and Harmon wasn't happy about the incident. (I also seem to recall that Gulbis' father made some comments to the media). Gulbis tried to calm the situation by saying she was happy with Harmon.

Maybe Harmon got fed up.

Regardless, I think its a big mistake for her to go back to he father as a coach.

Yeah... Bye Bye Natalie. Biggest blunder since Phil hit driver at Winged Foot! Here is a woman who NEEDS a good coach to help get that first win. She is in serious danger of losing credibility and becoming golf's Anna Kournikova. Too bad she didn't win that playoff last season... I feel a little for her, she really works hard at her game. I hope she comes to her senses soon and gets a "real" coach and tells dad to stay at home!

her dad is not a pro.

my Dad played in a pro-am with her at the Sem-Group Championship. He wasn't really certain who she was....just that she was good looking. So he didn't have any backstory. After their round he had a few comments.....one of them included :

"Her Dad is a total nutjob....she needs to get rid of him."

The rest were pretty interesting.

I saw an episode, the only one I might add, of the Natalie show on Golf Channel where she was in the golf shed with Butch. Thinking I would be able to gleen some free tips, there she was using her cell phone talking with someone while Butch was waiting for her to hang up and start her practice. Butch was a little upset to say the least. Must be an expensive call since Butch's lessons are not cheap.

It is easy to blame the coach, look at other sports. I live in Cincinnati and the Reds stink and it's the coaches fault. I digress, I'm sure that her dad will help her when majors like Annika. Highly unlikely.

I second mkoreiwo and the Anna comment, too bad I didn't write it first.

Since Hollywood has been rewriting old shows and movies (creativity gone by the waste side) and releasing them as new-maybe the Golf Channel could re-release the Beverly Hillbillies staring Natalie's Dad as Golf Coach and Natalie as hot, yet can't win golf pro. The setting would be like some country junk yard where Natalie is hitting balls and the local stray dog is shagging them.......Maybe Butch isn't such a bad guy. Look at Tiger, Phil and Adam Scott.

I've never met either Natalie Gulbis or her father so my comments are purely observations and opinion.

She's been coached almost exclusively by her fateher since childhood, and suceeded in having a decent amateur career, and in finding her way onto the LPGA.

She hasn't won yet, true. But she plays solid - if not electifying - golf on a pretty regular basis.

Her swing's a bit quirky; but so are many others and I don't think her non-pro father can be blamed for that.

As far as I know he's touted as a pretty decent golfer himself (scratch or so I heard) so he presumably has some idea what he's talking about.

Under Harmon, she hasn't had a great start to the season, and perhaps she feels a change is in order. Why not go back to her father?

Incidentally, many of the premier teachers aren't fantastic players themselves - or at least weren't world beaters. many pros have tuition from parents or family. Lee westwood's principal putting coach isn't dave Pelz or Stan Utley for instance. It's his dad, John.

Let's see how she works out before criticising too much. Her father may look a bit 'unconventional' but long hair and a beard don't make him a step in the wrong direction coaching-wise.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I've never met either Natalie Gulbis or her father so my comments are purely observations and opinion.

She's been coached almost exclusively by her fateher since childhood, and suceeded in having a decent amateur career, and in finding her way onto the LPGA.

She hasn't won yet, true. But she plays solid - if not electifying - golf on a pretty regular basis.

Her swing's a bit quirky; but so are many others and I don't think her non-pro father can be blamed for that.

As far as I know he's touted as a pretty decent golfer himself (scratch or so I heard) so he presumably has some idea what he's talking about.

Under Harmon, she hasn't had a great start to the season, and perhaps she feels a change is in order. Why not go back to her father?

Incidentally, many of the premier teachers aren't fantastic players themselves - or at least weren't world beaters. many pros have tuition from parents or family. Lee westwood's principal putting coach isn't dave Pelz or Stan Utley for instance. It's his dad, John.

Let's see how she works out before criticising too much. Her father may look a bit 'unconventional' but long hair and a beard don't make him a step in the wrong direction coaching-wise.

Mat-

I could be talking out of my hind-quarters here, but I seem to recall that Natalie switched to a professional coach in her early teens when she started to show some serious talent. Similar to Tiger (IIRC).

I am willing to wait and watch. I agree that sometimes...good players don't need a "real" coach around all the time....hovering. A lot of players stop in to visit coaches every blue moon. Most of them can work out kinks on their own.

But sometimes....players need to realize where the distractions are coming from. In this case...I would be willing to support the notion that John Gulbis is a distraction for Natalie. She would be better served, IMO, if her father did not travel to every tour stop. And most def. not follow her on the course....esp. during practice sessions.

Mat-

I could be talking out of my hind-quarters here, but I seem to recall that Natalie switched to a professional coach in her early teens when she started to show some serious talent. Similar to Tiger (IIRC).

You sound confident, and I could be wrong also.

I know that for the majority of her time on tour (up to the Butch Harmon period) her father is in constant attendance nearby.

The reporting I've seen suggests he gives more than 'fatherly advice' to her, and that he is regularly seen coaching her to some degree.

Regardless, I think it's entirely possible that he could be the change that she needs at the moment.

The only thing I don't like so much is the omnipresence - i.e. practice rounds, practice ground, on the course etc. I would welcome my dad looking over my swing, but I wouldn't want him to scrutinise my every move. That would be too much for me, and I think it must be at least distracting for her.

Then again, I'm not her, so I could be wrong there too!

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Mat-

You sound confident, and I could be wrong also.

I know that for the majority of her time on tour (up to the Butch Harmon period) her father is in constant attendance nearby.

The reporting I've seen suggests he gives more than 'fatherly advice' to her, and that he is regularly seen coaching her to some degree.

Regardless, I think it's entirely possible that he could be the change that she needs at the moment.

The only thing I don't like so much is the omnipresence - i.e. practice rounds, practice ground, on the course etc. I would welcome my dad looking over my swing, but I wouldn't want him to scrutinise my every move. That would be too much for me, and I think it must be at least distracting for her.

Then again, I'm not her, so I could be wrong there too!

No argument on anything you said (except me being confident about my statements - I was typing based only on a foggy recollection.)

Huge mistake. How old is Natalie now, 24? Maybe she could tell her father to stay out of her career from now on. She is well past being a minor.

Her swing was starting to look much better with Butch's help. A lot less head dip and lunge. The action was much smoother. It's not Butch's fault that Natalie would start hitting loose shots under pressure or miss many key putts. It's still up to Natalie to execute when all is said and done.

Butch must be so relieved to be rid of the arrogant, delusional, self absorbed weirdo that is John Gulbis. John overestimates his abilities so much it's hilarious. Does he really think he's a better coach than Butch Harmon? The man who coached Tiger early in his career, and now advises Adam Scott and Phil Michelson among others. Let's get real here John, your daughter didn't perform and that's the reason she hasn't won.

Just to prove my point, Natalie went out and shot 80. What now John?

Huge mistake. How old is Natalie now, 24? Maybe she could tell her father to stay out of her career from now on. She is well past being a minor.

Her swing was starting to look much better with Butch's help. A lot less head dip and lunge. The action was much smoother. It's not Butch's fault that Natalie would start hitting loose shots under pressure or miss many key putts. It's still up to Natalie to execute when all is said and done.

Butch must be so relieved to be rid of the arrogant, delusional, self absorbed weirdo that is John Gulbis. John overestimates his abilities so much it's hilarious. Does he really think he's a better coach than Butch Harmon? The man who coached Tiger early in his career, and now advises Adam Scott and Phil Michelson among others. Let's get real here John, your daughter didn't perform and that's the reason she hasn't won.

I don't know anything about Natalie Gulbis or her dad, but isn't it possible that Butch Harmon just isn't the right instructor for her? I know he did a great job with Tiger and pretty good for Greg Norman and others. I am sure that he is not for everyone. Natalie has to find someone right for her.

I don't know anything about Natalie Gulbis or her dad, but isn't it possible that Butch Harmon just isn't the right instructor for her? I know he did a great job with Tiger and pretty good for Greg Norman and others. I am sure that he is not for everyone. Natalie has to find someone right for her.

Maybe Butch wasn't the perfect coach for her. But the point is, he is one of the best in the world. And if you are going to fire one of the best, you better replace him with someone of similar teaching ability. That most certainly is not her father.

And quite frankly, I can't see another top teacher working with Natalie if her father continues to meddle to the degree that he does. It just wouldn't be worth the hassle for the guy/gal.

Granted you may not need a coach - I believe Bubba Watson does it ll himself - but its a pretty good bet that the pros, for the most part, employ a qualified coach. I don't care that John Gulbis "may' be a scratch player. He is also her father, and honestly, his relationship with her gives me the willies - but I digress...

As others have said, maybe Butch wasn't ideal for her, but she should have at least shopped around for someone new. Her swing does need some work. Yeah, yeah, who are we to criticize sine we're hacks - but everyone is a critic. If her father is going to just say nice effort, she's doomed. Poor kid.

He is also her father, and honestly, his relationship with her gives me the willies

I thought it was just me...EWW! He gives me the creeps!

But Natalie has so much talent, she'll be around for a while, but she trusts her dad. Her swing is not the main issue with her game. Her putting is getting her into trouble, I feel.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

It appears that she may not be able to make the major, she is having some back problems.

I'm not really surprised especially with that kind of swing. The episode with her on playing with the pros, she mentioned she was ultra something, which meant her body can contort or whatever and that it doesnt hurt. Yeah, now it just seems i'm rambling, but anyways. That lurking and jerking just doesnt look like it can be good for the body no matter how flexible you are.

As for being on the cell phone during sessions, I wouldnt be surprised if Butch dropped her instead of her dropping Butch. He's there to make you better, and that being a distraction to their sessions, I dont see why Butch would keep her as a student. Of course this is all my opinion and what do i really know! :partytime2:

her dad is not a pro.

my Dad played in a pro-am with her at the Sem-Group Championship. He wasn't really certain who she was....just that she was good looking. So he didn't have any backstory. After their round he had a few comments.....one of them included :

"Her Dad is a total nutjob....she needs to get rid of him."

The rest were pretty interesting.

If her Dad is not a pro, then he does not have the credentials to teach her how to swing a club at the LPGA Tour level.

Even I know better not to teach or coach a child who will be better at golf than I am. I have a six year old son who's been playing since he was one. Last year, I hired a PGA Pro to be his coach. He teaches him everything...the grip, setup, swing adjustments, etc. My job is to make sure he does the drills that his PGA Pro tells him to do. Including club grip, swing warm-up, taking him out for practice and rounds of golf. I know my place and role in my son's golf development.

If John Gulbis knows what's good for Natalie, he will do what her new swing coach tells them both to do. John Gulbis needs to know his role.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

parents as coaches can work and it can't. PGA Professional's can be deceiving as well. some are good players and business people....but don't have a solid teaching background. I guess what I am trying to say is that all of them can't be created equally. Try before you buy.

This whole thing with Butch and Natalie could be that it wasn't a good fit...for either of them.

Gulbis' Dad's coaching could've brought her to this level but it's quite possible that he can't take her further. Based on the encounters that my father had with the two of them......I am not sure how they got to the LPGA at all.