Guitar/guitar players thread

I have 2 Schecters that I play mainly and a seagull S6. Play country and heavy metal mostly. My 6mo loves when I play some parkway drive ;)

Country and metal, you have to be into Staind. Awesome band. And Schecters are very underrated guitars.

Staind is a pretty good band. Aaron Lewis's country side project is pretty good too

I have 2 Schecters that I play mainly and a seagull S6. Play country and heavy metal mostly. My 6mo loves when I play some parkway drive ;)

Country and metal, you have to be into Staind. Awesome band. And Schecters are very underrated guitars.

Staind is a pretty good band. Aaron Lewis's country side project is pretty good too

I gotta give it a listen. He is a great songwriter. I love his shirt that says "Family, Country, Guns"

Having been a drummer and not trained to or have ever played guitar, I cannot say who is or is not technically a great player. But it can say what I like to hear and the style of player with whom I enjoyed jamming and playing. Even with the top groups, it seems at some point the lead guitar player will take off playing rather unrelated rifs that have no true value to the song other than to make noise. To the trained ear, perhaps, its a demonstration of technical ability, but in the relative scheme of things it is just noise. I am reminded of a scene from the movie, Eddie and the Cruisers 2. Eddie and a young guy were jamming together with their guitars, when the young guy starts off on one of those wild rifs. Eddie stops playing and asks the young guy, what are you doing. Yea, it looks good, and people will notice when you are playing, but when they get home, they will forget it. You want to play so that people will remember it. You want your guitar to talk to them, not yell at them. You want to play so that they don't hear it only with their ears, but their hearts and souls as well. And then Eddie played his guitar, the way it should be played. A manner in which I totally understood.

Similarly, I avoided drum solos as much as possible, yea it provided me an opportunity to show off, but had no value beyond that. The only time I played solo was when my band mates stopped playing and I maintained the feeling and beat of the song, where those listening continued with the lyrics or clapped and danced.

• 5 weeks later...

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I think SRV is the greatest guitar player of all time, I really do. Some one more knowledgable chime in and tell me if I'm right or wrong please!!

I don't profess to be overly knowledgeable but I am also a big SRV fan. He's the reason I started playing. However as much as I love his music I have to say there's quite a few that were "better" IMO. I know it's the "standard response," if you will, but personally I would have to give that nod to Jimi.

If this were the gear page, I'd be getting skewered in 3, 2, 1.....

I think SRV is the greatest guitar player of all time, I really do. Some one more knowledgable chime in and tell me if I'm right or wrong please!!

I don't profess to be overly knowledgeable but I am also a big SRV fan. He's the reason I started playing. However as much as I love his music I have to say there's quite a few that were "better" IMO. I know it's the "standard response," if you will, but personally I would have to give that nod to Jimi.

SRV was technically gifted as far as his dexterity and his constant use of the entire fretboard. However like a lot of blues-rock guitarists he was a bit 'stuck' in that mode of music. Clapton is one example of a blues-rock guitarist who crossed over into other styles (although I watched him play with Santana for a few songs and even he kind of pasted his blues phrasing on the Latin sound). I remember before he passed he started to experiment with a more jazz oriented style, but to my ears he couldn't really take that leap of faith into the creative dissonance that characterizes jazz. Also, even in his comfort zone of straight up blues he always had a dozen or so go to phrases that he always used (much like Clapton). Still, his technical ease and speed put him at the top of blues-rock guitarists.

SRV was technically gifted as far as his dexterity and his constant use of the entire fretboard. However like a lot of blues-rock guitarists he was a bit 'stuck' in that mode of music. Clapton is one example of a blues-rock guitarist who crossed over into other styles (although I watched him play with Santana for a few songs and even he kind of pasted his blues phrasing on the Latin sound). I remember before he passed he started to experiment with a more jazz oriented style, but to my ears he couldn't really take that leap of faith into the creative dissonance that characterizes jazz. Also, even in his comfort zone of straight up blues he always had a dozen or so go to phrases that he always used (much like Clapton). Still, his technical ease and speed put him at the top of blues-rock guitarists.

I'm sorry, but Clapton doesn't even compare to SRV, maybe listen to a little more SRV stuff, and see that he has a blues base, but goes SO MUCH BROADER than that genre, saying he doesn't is either pure ignorance, or a massive lack of knowledge when it comes to music and guitar especially

• 1 month later...

The "best" anything is subjective to personal taste/preference. That said, in this performance Prince turns a stage full of legends into fans (@ 3:27)... He could play anything but he considered himself a guitarist and this video substantiates his mark as a great.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

The "best" anything is subjective to personal taste/preference. That said, in this performance Prince turns a stage full of legends into fans (@ 3:27)... He could play anything but he considered himself a guitarist and this video substantiates his mark as a great.

Not trying to flame, but IMO that guitar performance wasn't that great. He used a few tricks like open string hammering to make it sound more flamboyant. If I gave it some effort I could probably reproduce that lead decently. There was nothing that made me go 'wtf did he just do there?'. Everything was right on a major or pentatonic scale.

IMO, one of the marks of great guitarists is when they play things that make you clueless as you what notes they even hit.

Not trying to flame, but IMO that guitar performance wasn't that great. He used a few tricks like open string hammering to make it sound more flamboyant. If I gave it some effort I could probably reproduce that lead decently. There was nothing that made me go 'wtf did he just do there?'. Everything was right on a major or pentatonic scale.

IMO, one of the marks of great guitarists is when they play things that make you clueless as you what notes they even hit.

@TTB, no flame at all... Music is an expression that speaks to each individual audience member differently. That said, there are only 88 keys on the piano... Many of the iconic "rock" axe riffs are routed in some form of the pentatonic shape. He took fundamental theory and flew off the fret board in this performance, IMO. You can see it in the faces of Tom P and Young Dhani Harrison...

I love golf

@TTB, no flame at all... Music is an expression that speaks to each individual audience member differently. That said, there are only 88 keys on the piano... Many of the iconic "rock" axe riffs are routed in some form of the pentatonic shape. He took fundamental theory and flew off the fret board in this performance, IMO. You can see it in the faces of Tom P and Young Dhani Harrison...

I was watching Jimmy Hendrix video's the other day and saw similarities between he and Prince.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

@2putttom, Prince definitely channeled Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana, and James Brown in his guitar playing/show performances but he also brought his own panache to the game.

I love golf

Just ran into a friend I haven't seen in a while. Long story short I started talking about my daughter and how she wants to learn guitar after watching Kubo and the 2 Strings (great movie). He said he has a brand new Fender Starcaster that's still wrapped up. I texted him about it and he's gonna let it go to me for about $100 since he has no use for it. I'm assuming that's a good deal?

Just ran into a friend I haven't seen in a while. Long story short I started talking about my daughter and how she wants to learn guitar after watching Kubo and the 2 Strings (great movie). He said he has a brand new Fender Starcaster that's still wrapped up. I texted him about it and he's gonna let it go to me for about $100 since he has no use for it. I'm assuming that's a good deal?

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_501903_group_shot.jpg this?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I have a few guitars...99 USA Ultra strat with Silver lace sensors, a Big Baby Taylor Acoustic, and a 1978 Takamine classical which I bought off my mother when she decided (on a whim) to take up Irish folk harp.

I love all music but when I was younger I grew up on older country (like George Jones) and the Beatles, and in junior high I was big into Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, and Brooks and Dunn type country. When I was in high school I went into a metal/alternative phase listening to Nirvana, Alice and Chains, Metallica, Sepultura, White Zombie, etc. I even got into a lot of rap when I was younger, NWA, Eazy-E, Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube, and Wu-Tang. And before that old school rap like Fat Boys, Run DMC, and Beastie Boys. So I pretty much listen to everything...

Fast forward to today and I find I'm mellowing out a lot more as I get older, and for the past few years I've been on a massive Reggae kick. Rebulution, Stick Figure, Slightly Stoopid, and probably my favorite band of all time The Dirty Heads. I was always a Marley fan growing up and love this vibe.

I find myself on youtube a lot getting lost in video after video, whether cover bands like Chris "Isto" White, Julien Mueller, or Boyce Avenue, or classical originals like Frederic Mesnier.

I have two little girls that have very different tastes in music, so I find myself having to listen to a lot of Pop radio lately. Which is kind of interesting when you hear Boyce or Julien re-do some of the new stuff (they do it so much better)!

Here are a couple of my favs:

Love the passion that Frederic plays with...

Isto is just amazing to me, as I've always struggled with playing and singing at the same time. Much props to him...

I found Julien recently and he's quite amazing...

Sub'd to this thread. I'll try to get some pics up sometime of the Strat and Takamine.

Cheers

It's really hard to go wrong with a $100 guitar for a budding rocker. For that price your expectations should be relatively minimal assuming everything is in tact and the thing plays when plugged into an amp. In my opinion that's the ideal starter rig. Take it to a guitar shop and spend another $50 to get a proper setup and your daughter will be good to go!!! Throw in another $100 (half if you go used) for a small solid state amp and she'll be ready to rock out!

I love golf

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_501903_group_shot.jpg this?

Or wait I thought this:

0243102506_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

@TTB, I believe Fender also produced a "Strat-like" Starcaster that would compare more with today's Squier Affinity Series guitars. I could be mistaken but those guitars can still be found on the used racks at guitar shops for less than $200.

a1a8430846a512bfd7d06549ef96c7a3.jpg

I love golf

A few pics from my stash:

49636a27c331288d816e34fc7003be6a.jpg

b1965396667660a6ae582837274fe88d.jpg

97d924d57674b1fa7242e6d7b3d07b00.jpg

22fb122f2644e75978dba9d2ce9d5064.jpg

0d2f9c4be482e1530540456cf915e084.jpg

(I recently sold the PRS Zach Myers)

7357d5315a1c15fa1077216805905089.jpg

a13bfb917297106d1877c9d1010641a9.jpg

3f0d4c966e777589e0b4d3df155568ae.jpg

I love golf

Nice stash man. Digging that LP I think it has P-90's?

Thanks! Those would be the pickups!

I love golf