2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golfmetrics App

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also very interesting in reviews of this. From first glance it seems very technical and not for the casual user. And it costs $80 a year.. But I assume the quality of the stats given is world class. As far as I understand for accurate info this requires lasering every single shot in your round (including short game) to get your exact distances from the pin.

Now considering you can get the game Golf App for free... This provides all the stats of the Game Golf system as far as I can see, except you have to manually select your clubs and track your distances. Which is a lot of work unless you are very dedicated. And it also doubles as a on course GPS. I'm thinking that's the more practical way to go... but I'm assuming not really even close in terms of the amount of analysis you can do with Golfmetrics. But very easy to use with little effort to gather the data in comparison.

So I'm still interested in Golf Metrics... A lot easier than keeping a strokes gained spreadsheet.

Someone must have this up and running?

I downloaded it but paying 80$ without knowing what the app will offer seems crazy!

Also, the look of the app is not particularly nice.

I am sure it must have great features though as Mark Broadie has a lot of data and I assume that all the data that people will introduce in the app will be used by Broadie to calculate new global statistics.

One thing I saw which triggered a question: the app shows your handicap by type (driving, approach, short game, putting). Any idea how this is calculated?

I'm also very interesting in reviews of this. From first glance it seems very technical and not for the casual user. And it costs $80 a year.. But I assume the quality of the stats given is world class. As far as I understand for accurate info this requires lasering every single shot in your round (including short game) to get your exact distances from the pin.

Now considering you can get the game Golf App for free... This provides all the stats of the Game Golf system as far as I can see, except you have to manually select your clubs and track your distances. And it also doubles as a on course GPS. I'm thinking that's the more practical way to go... but I'm assuming not really even close in terms of the amount of analysis you can do with Golfmetrics. But very easy to use with little effort to gather the data.

So I'm still interested in Golf Metrics... A lot easier than keeping a strokes gained spreadsheet.

Someone must have this up and running?

Game Golf calculates strokes gained for you?

So I took the plunge on the Golfmetrics app. I played 2 rounds with it, and also input two rounds I had played in Florida a couple weeks prior. My thoughts:

Pricing: I'm a little unsure as to how I feel about the subscription model they have chosen to follow. I know software companies are moving towards this, but I would think that this kind of app would be more of a buy it and you're done type of thing. Between the fact you have to keep paying for the subscription, along with the price, I would almost think there better be some serious upgrades every so often. Which is promised, so I think the value will be there at some point. As big of a Broadie supporter as I am, it did take me a couple of days to pull the trigger. I can afford the price, but it took me a few days to buy it.

Ease of use: The app took a little bit of getting used to, but once I got the hang of it, it actually was quite easy. I've only had one of the four rounds at a course already in the app, but as promised, the course was already in there. The type of lie, and distance are easy to input, and once you get the hang of when to use "add" vs "Add/Next" it rolls easily.

Reporting: You can go to the results section, and gather a lot of information. There is a "scorecard" that shows you your score, but it will only show the first round (by date). So those screens are good for one round, but skip over them if you are looking for the info for a bunch of rounds. But for whichever grouping of rounds you look at it will then give you your "handicap" for driving, approach, short game and putting. Your strokes gained are shown in total for category, and then breaking down approach, short game and putting by distances. There is also some standard stats calculated. I think this is where the real improvements will come in in future versions. This is a real good start, and I think there will be more to come.

Support: I had an issue when I first signed up, and I emailed Broadie about it. He was tied up in other things, but someone else associated with the app was in touch with me within half an hour, and got it all straightened out quickly. Broadie is open to feedback, and reasonable suggestions do get evaluated, and sometimes implemented.

The app is quite good, and I think it has great potential to really get excellent information into people's hands.

I've corresponded with Broadie and recommended a trial round or two in order to let people get their feet wet before buying, and that is being looked at it. This will be a good app.

So I took the plunge on the Golfmetrics app. I played 2 rounds with it, and also input two rounds I had played in Florida a couple weeks prior. My thoughts:

Pricing: I'm a little unsure as to how I feel about the subscription model they have chosen to follow. I know software companies are moving towards this, but I would think that this kind of app would be more of a buy it and you're done type of thing. Between the fact you have to keep paying for the subscription, along with the price, I would almost think there better be some serious upgrades every so often. Which is promised, so I think the value will be there at some point. As big of a Broadie supporter as I am, it did take me a couple of days to pull the trigger. I can afford the price, but it took me a few days to buy it.

Ease of use: The app took a little bit of getting used to, but once I got the hang of it, it actually was quite easy. I've only had one of the four rounds at a course already in the app, but as promised, the course was already in there. The type of lie, and distance are easy to input, and once you get the hang of when to use "add" vs "Add/Next" it rolls easily.

Reporting: You can go to the results section, and gather a lot of information. There is a "scorecard" that shows you your score, but it will only show the first round (by date). So those screens are good for one round, but skip over them if you are looking for the info for a bunch of rounds. But for whichever grouping of rounds you look at it will then give you your "handicap" for driving, approach, short game and putting. Your strokes gained are shown in total for category, and then breaking down approach, short game and putting by distances. There is also some standard stats calculated. I think this is where the real improvements will come in in future versions. This is a real good start, and I think there will be more to come.

Support: I had an issue when I first signed up, and I emailed Broadie about it. He was tied up in other things, but someone else associated with the app was in touch with me within half an hour, and got it all straightened out quickly. Broadie is open to feedback, and reasonable suggestions do get evaluated, and sometimes implemented.

The app is quite good, and I think it has great potential to really get excellent information into people's hands.

I've corresponded with Broadie and recommended a trial round or two in order to let people get their feet wet before buying, and that is being looked at it. This will be a good app.

On the home screen, when you check the boxes next to all of your rounds, THEN hit results, it will compile your strokes gained averages for everything. Not just one round.

On the home screen, when you check the boxes next to all of your rounds, THEN hit results, it will compile your strokes gained averages for everything. Not just one round.

I thought that is what I said, but I can see how it might have read weird. I was really just talking about the "Scorecard" function that comes up first when you hit results. The rest of the screens do give you data for whatever round(s) you have selected.

I thought that is what I said, but I can see how it might have read weird. I was really just talking about the "Scorecard" function that comes up first when you hit results. The rest of the screens do give you data for whatever round(s) you have selected.

Yup! Sorry ?

If you don't mind, could you share some snapshots of available stats? Many thx.

You aren't missing much IMO, Loki. The screen shots upthread are the entirity of what the app provides. Good stuff as far as it goes but hardly scratches the surface in terms of detailed analysis of the state of your game.

If that's all I got with an app I purchased for $5.99 or $9.99 I'd be somewhat underwhelmed. Having paid $40 for six months of access I feel totally shortchanged. I've not asked for a refund but I was sorely tempted.

This is not ready for prime time as far as I'm concerned.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

And GG don't distinguish between "Rough" and "Obstructed". So every single chip out after a bad drive gets tallied as a good drive and wasted "Approach". If you can't distingush driving from iron plsy and can't track putting there's nothing not much left.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Well hold on here. Yes he has taken longer to get this going than would have been desired. But "this is the entirety of what you get" is very misleading. After all, you get a much easier to use interface to input the data. I can put in a whole round in about 5 minutes. It takes at least 20 with the spreadsheet. And when they update, you won't need to transfer all your data to a new sheet. There is more to come, as well. He wanted to get something out given how far behind it was already.

I've voiced my concerns to Broadie re: the pricing and getting widespread acceptance. You're certainly free to quibble about the price, especially given the fact there wasn't a trial round or two to check it out, but there is more to it than just some bar graphs.

• 11 months later...