Scotland in two weeks...looking for recommendations

My buddies and I are heading to Scotland in two weeks for four days of golf and we will be playing 6-7 times. Current itinerary is...

Day 1 - Arrival, Kingsbarns

Day 2 - Carnoustie Burnside, Carnoustie Championship

Day 3 - The Dukes Course, The Old Course(via the ballot)

Day 4 - Crail Balcomie, The Old Course(via the ballot)

We are very hopeful that we are able to get on The Old Course via the ballot, but if that doesn't work out then we are going to get up at the Word not allowed crack of dawn and get in the singles line in hopes of getting out. We may be able to play an additional course on the third or final day. Options to round out the final round are replay of Kingsbarns, New Course, Eden, Jubilee, Fairmont Torrance, Fairmont Kittochs. Thoughts?

To enhance the experience we will have caddies at Kingsbarns, Carnoustie Carnoustie Championship and the Old course. We will get a single caddie/forecaddie at the other courses to show us around.

I've been trying to find everything I can in advance of this trip and there have been many hours spent reading GolfWRX and listening to the Scottish Golf Podcast. Some of the best tips and reminders of things to bring have been...

AC/DC 24V-12V Converter

Trail Mix/Beef Jerky

Bungee Cord to hold the bag on the pull carts

Rain Jacket, Rain Pants, Rain Hat, Rain gloves

warm hat

Plastic Bags

Small towels

Extra Pencils

Sunscreen

DON'T OVERPACK

We will be based in St. Andrews and hope that many a pint are consumed at the Dunvegan and Jigger Inn, and I'm sure we will have more than one basket of fish and chips.

Are there any big things that we need to remember to bring? Are there any tips that we need to keep in mind when heading to any of these courses? Should I bring one pair of shoes or two? Any other final recommendations?

Was over there three years ago... Heading to Ireland in a few weeks....

2 pairs of shoes for sure and extra socks.... Nothing worse than wet or damp feet

Since you are going to base in St Andrews I'd look into the Temporary Membership... I didn't know about it but several people have told me they did this and it was very cool....

Enjoy!!

Consider what you pack in your airpline carry-on bag.

It seems like most times I've gone to Ireland or Scotland, some bags get delayed. It happened to me on a trip to Ireland and it happened to one of our group on the last trip to Scotland. On other trips, I saw golfers in the baggage claim looking for misplaced bags. Fortunately, they have good rental clubs in St. Andrews.

I pack my golf shoes, rain gear, at least one change of clothes, two pair of underwear and socks, and warm clothes for layering in my pilot case. Basically, I want to be able to get off the plane and go to the course with the items in my carry on.

As for courses, the New and Jubilee are good courses. They don't get much play because they are not the old course. If they were in any other town, they would probably be on everyone's must play list. I personally prefer the Jubilee to the New. YMMV.

I used to live in the UK and wrote up this trip review, when we did a solely Scottish trip last: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1110875-wonderful-scotland-golf-trip-reviewinfo/

I'm a big fan of pints and TBH, one session at the Dunvegan was enough. IMHO it's like going to NYC and spending your evenings in Times Square.

Definitely bring a 2nd pair of shoes. And as you point out, don't over pack. You can always pick up extra bits once there.

If you are flying out of Edi, I'd look at whether it's possible to fit North Berwick in and if you are flying out of Glasgow I'd look at seeing whether you could fit Prestwick in. Still regardless what you do, you'll have a fantastic time! :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It seems like most times I've gone to Ireland or Scotland, some bags get delayed. It happened to me on a trip to Ireland and it happened to one of our group on the last trip to Scotland. On other trips, I saw golfers in the baggage claim looking for misplaced bags. Fortunately, they have good rental clubs in St. Andrews.

I pack my golf shoes, rain gear, at least one change of clothes, two pair of underwear and socks, and warm clothes for layering in my pilot case. Basically, I want to be able to get off the plane and go to the course with the items in my carry on.

As for courses, the New and Jubilee are good courses. They don't get much play because they are not the old course. If they were in any other town, they would probably be on everyone's must play list. I personally prefer the Jubilee to the New. YMMV.

We already booked our rounds through Morton Golf Holiday, so the Links ticket wouldn't really help us this time. Thanks for the tip though.

We already booked our rounds through Morton Golf Holiday, so the Links ticket wouldn't really help us this time. Thanks for the tip though.

I wasn't clear in my post. I didn't mean for you to get the Links ticket, I meant if you don't get on the Old Course, certainly play Jubilee or the New Course. They are similar to the Old in feel and play and are worth playing once. Albeit, last time I was in St. andrews, I played two rounds at Kingsbarn. Kingsbarn is a great course--one of my favorites. But it is a more modern links. If you want the experience of the older, more traditional links, try Jubilee or New.

Good luck on the ballot. We did the ballot last time and got on one of three days.

Great tips regarding what to bring in the carry-on. I've been trying to figure out where to pack the stuff that I was going to wear for the round on the day that we arrive. This makes a lot of sense. Good advice. Thanks.

Standard Fife recommendations outside of what you have planned are The Golf House Club (Elie), Lundin, Leven, Scotscraig, Ladybank, St Andys New, Jubilee and Eden

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

My buddies and I are heading to Scotland in two weeks for four days of golf and we will be playing 6-7 times.

AC/DC 24V-12V Converter

Trail Mix/Beef Jerky

warm hat

Plastic Bags

Small towels

Extra Pencils

Sunscreen

DON'T OVERPACK

If you take all that stuff you have already overpacked IMHO.

My buddies and I are heading to Scotland in two weeks for four days of golf and we will be playing 6-7 times.

AC/DC 24V-12V Converter

Trail Mix/Beef Jerky

warm hat

Plastic Bags

Small towels

Extra Pencils

Sunscreen

DON'T OVERPACK

If you take all that stuff you have already overpacked IMHO.

I'm so happy that you just recently joined the site and immediately started providing helpful insight. SMH

• Like 1

I recieved much of that same advice before my first UK trip. That first trip I was seriously overpacked. The most helpful insight I can provide is that you do not need to carry stuff like food and sunscreen that are easily available there. Nor do you need any sort of voltage converter unless you are taking something orher than the usual consumer electronics like phone, rangefinder, etc.

The bungee cord is a very good idea and if you want to carry rain gear beyond the jacket then I'll just give you best wishes and hope you get good weather as I have generally encountered.

It is possible to play golf for a week with only stuff that will fit in a stand bag and a max-size carryon. Not optimum but it can work. It is my advice not to go to that extreme your first time but to keep it to necessary clothes and toiletries plus your clubs/bag. Being in Scotland is much like home once you learn your way around. Eating something other than your favorite brand of jerky is part of the fun.

Check out the "Observation Deck" at the Old Course Hotel. One can buy a beer and watch players hit over the "Shed" on #17. Great views of the course.

As others have said, be sure your carry-on has the essential clothing & shoes. Two pair of golf shoes is a good idea.

You may find that it seems earlier in the evening that it really is. Stays light a long time. I would think it was 6:30 and it really was almost 9pm. Kitchens close and it was hard to find a decent place for dinner sometimes.

Have a great time.