2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

In the last week or so I've been to focus on educating my hands/arms. One arm swings both righty and lefty - only going back to P2 or a bit past.

After numerous worm burners you start to learn that you have to get that right shoulder (pardon lefties) down toward the ball or else you straighten that right arm to soon and flatten the right wrist before impact, ie no chance at lag and good chance at flip. Ditto the left hand, you have to learn to be a flat or a bit flexed so when you are at impact and going into left wrist extension you aren't getting yourself cupped. Need to shift pressure with right but you can do the left ones with just a bit of body motion. Put'em together and hit little shots. I use my PW. I can hit about 15-20 yard shots this way with an increasing consistency. You need soft arms, supple wrists, and nice rhythm otherwise it's chunk, blade city. LOL.

[media=]

[/media]

Great video GLK, I like Martin's teaching style a lot. Those drills combined with this one drill I do from p6ish to full finish really help you feel how relaxed you have to be to make crisp contact. Like you were saying, stay soft, good rhythm, proper weight shift = solid contact. Also, these drills will make you a sweet spot hitting machine if you do them enough. For instance, when I get back out on the range someday I'd do these drills for an entire large bucket everyday for the first 2 weeks back. After that, using these drills to warm up or start my range session help keep my swing in check.

His youtube site has plenty of good videos around the area of impact and training your hands/arms/body from just going from p2/p3 thru impact. Reinforces Monte's mantra about learning thru short swings. I plead guilty to have not paid enough attention in the past as to exactly what my arms, hands, body were doing through impact. quite humbling to sit on the range top/thin/chunk balls trying to hit them one handed with even a short swing. Starting to pay off now though. Hit about 30 PW last Saturday between 125-130 after doing these drills - pretty tight cluster and the kid doing the ball picking at the time drove over and gave me a thumbs up and called me a player. It's a CC and they train the employees well. LOL. Since I walk and the weather in July has been 90s/ 70+ dewpoints every day (and looks like August will be a repeat) I have only played 9 and it's been a sweatfest by 2nd tee even in the morning. They send out a assistant at times with cold towels - helps for a couple of holes. Think I'm going to start sucking it up and walking 18 a few times.

I had an hour with Martin a few years ago when he was still in Bend Ore. I think I caught him just before he became renowned and in demand. It was a great lesson. I wish I could do a longer series and see how much I could improve. He knows TGM but keeps it simple for guys like me.

He's definitely pretty good. Before he deregistered from the site, we traded a few things on some threads. Nothing about the swing but whether it's red or green - he went to New Mexico State down in Las Cruces - home of the hatch chile. I think he liked the green - I can do both. I would love to take a lesson from him but doubt I will get to see him in Phoenix - he doesn't do online himself and his clinics are a bit pricey at $2K for 3 days at his course - see he has a one day at Bend this month for only $1K. Yikes. I know his hourly rate is $250 and he isn't interested in booking anything less than a half day.

On another note, a little spot in Albuquerque called Nexus Brewery does a killer Soul Burger with red - it's a neat brewery - the owner is African American and the menu does "upscale" soul found with a New Mexico twist - and the beer is very good too. We pretty much stop everytime when passing thru - my kids always loved it cause of the weird Al song - I threatened them with a BIG bowl of sauerkraut on our month long family vacation of the West in 2001.

So after a week or so with about 4/5 range sessions each starting with one armed shots, I'm finally getting it down. It's really improved my ball flight - combine that with a small change to my pivot/transition with my left knee and I'm starting to hit balls like I know what I'm doing - scary. More work for consistency - to this I owe some of Martin's videos but also Clay Ballard and Robin Symes - I had been working my left knee too much toward my right instead of more out toward the target line. At least for me, the left knee movement has become a key to being able to rotate my hips and get my tailbone going toward the target on the BS then it's the old Snead squat move.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

When we switch to number 13, we need to change the title to Confessions from WRX Hackers #13, :).

Since we're in a little swing flaw chapter, I'll contribute...

I confess, the new tempo work has added a bunch of distance to my swing, but it also contributes to my hips firing too fast and me hitting a blocked cut. I probably need some zipper away work or to slow the transition even more. I shoved everything all over the golf course yesterday and fell victim to the good start bad finish. I had two good par saves early, but then 3-putted, and it was like the whistle blew at the station of the bogey train, and I was "all-aboard!"

Hard to find the putting surface when you're shoving the ball 25 degrees away from your target. On a positive note the pull has disappeared. All joking aside I seem to be on a good learning curve to figure out how the timing of my hips, shoulders, and arms effects path. Seems early hips = push, late = pull, synced = straight path.

Mattskee,

Glad to hear the new tempo is adding some distance! As for the over aggressive hips, a great drill that I use for that is the old basket between the legs drill. You'll need a range basket (empty) or something else ( playground ball), set up to the golf ball, once in your stance put the basket between your thighs. The goal is to swing, starting the downswing by dropping the basket. That split second dropping the basket allows the knees to separate, gives your upper body time to get in front before the hips rotate hard. I highly suggest this drill, if you want to add another layer to it freeze at the top of the swing, then drop the basket and hit the ball.

I believe I finally found my "aha" as another day hitting produced a better ball flight and faster club head speed. I was NOT about to believe the first monitor (97 MPH 25.5 degree launch on a 6 iron) so I jumped into another bay. Sure enough ... more like 94-95 and 22 degree launch. Not exactly the best launch conditions, but the ball isn't going hard left. At this point I will take it... anything that keeps the ball on (or around) the green is a nice plus.

Next up: Confessions 13: You Break'm, We Debate'm... and Maybe Fix'm.

I believe I finally found my "aha" as another day hitting produced a better ball flight and faster club head speed. I was NOT about to believe the first monitor (97 MPH 25.5 degree launch on a 6 iron) so I jumped into another bay. Sure enough ... more like 94-95 and 22 degree launch. Not exactly the best launch conditions, but the ball isn't going hard left. At this point I will take it... anything that keeps the ball on (or around) the green is a nice plus.

Next up: Confessions 13: You Break'm, We Debate'm... and Maybe Fix'm.

Hate to burst your bubble, but we're 4,000 posts shy from Confessions 13 :secret: :taunt: :cheesy: :rofl:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Mattskee,

Glad to hear the new tempo is adding some distance! As for the over aggressive hips, a great drill that I use for that is the old basket between the legs drill. You'll need a range basket (empty) or something else ( playground ball), set up to the golf ball, once in your stance put the basket between your thighs. The goal is to swing, starting the downswing by dropping the basket. That split second dropping the basket allows the knees to separate, gives your upper body time to get in front before the hips rotate hard. I highly suggest this drill, if you want to add another layer to it freeze at the top of the swing, then drop the basket and hit the ball.

This is a good one. Need to add it to my list of drills to work the squat move. The other one I've started to do for transition, is to put something under my back foot at setup - can use anything that raises the foot a few inches off the ground - preloads weight/pressure on lead foot and after a few swings you get the feel of what a pressure shift to the lead side should be like - then just reproduce that feel without the prop. Zach Allen has a video on this last one.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Today I was having more success using the new tempo. I've got 3 weeks until the big Labor Day tournament and a lot of work to do to gain confidence in this new move.

It's mind blowing what we can accomplish one day at a time. Three weeks is plenty for you to get it down pat.

Confidence comes with practice, as long as you keep it simple (Without overdoing it)

Thursday was my last round. That's becoming my "day" to come in at lunch and get to play a round. I work at least a half of a day on the weekends, so it's not frowned upon, but it's simply going to be difficult to become a once a week type player. Especially with this tournament coming up and no telling right now how work is going to respond to that whole situation. Because the tournament is match play pairing are not decided until the evening before you play. That's part of the fun in it as there are free drinks at the clubhouse for an hour while you wait for the pairings.

Anyways, I talked a friend who's a member where I used to play to come over for a morning round. He's one of my favorite partners. He has a very mellow on-course demeanor but he goes pretty low every round he plays. A bad round is 3 over a great round is 3 under, probably doesn't shoot outside of those numbers 4 or 5 times a year. We get to the course and the greens have been verticut so it's not like anyone is going super low. He agrees to give me 2 a side. I lose a ball on the third hole off the tee and don't play a provisional so my head is out of it although I'm striking the ball well comparatively. On the fourth tee box I ask him if we can switch to match. Considering that's the format of the tourney and I've already blown my two on the front and am still losing I offer that we play straight up. I tied him for the next 15 holes and we would have had to go to extras to finish it. We opted for lunch and beers before work :)

It's was the most fun round I've played in weeks. We didn't have anyone paired with us and all the dew dusters flew off in front of us (7:12 tee time). We did have a two-some behind us that would occasionally wait, but it was clear that was because they weren't putting out and were in a hurry. If it had been any worse I would have let them through as there was no one else around. They would catch us while we were putting and then we wouldn't see them again. We played in about 3:30 but it felt like a super casual pace as a two-some with a lot of putts that really "counted." I stuck three approaches to kick-in range, but one of them was above the hole with a bunch of break and I missed it. I figured I finished at about 81 which was pretty good for the "post-swing-change" rounds. :)

Hopefully our small band of confessioniers are doing well and playing a lot! Congrats to TJ for seeing the end of the tunnel. Hope the Ninja, master Dan, gaucho, MDGboxx, Sixty, glk, seattle scotee, PD, et al are out there playing, lurking, tinkering, looking at themselves swing in the mirror, rigging up swing enhancement inventions, and ultimately enjoying the waning daylight of late summer!

Just as I was thinking, last night, to post a "R.I.P. Confessions Thread" post, you drop by this morning. :yahoo:

No one walked in, over the last four days. I am disappointed, but not surprised. (Enough pouting already)

Relax, your tourney will be fine...Impromptu pairings is what you want. You're going to play outside, not going to suffer at the worst part of your job.

Sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to play a regular round, so far this year. Lack of regular exercise is taking it's toll, and the worse part of it is that, I come on here with the feeling/knowledge that I don't have much to say/add. :help: On the brighter side, I still have until mid-November to go out and play.

Good luck at your tourney. :hi:

Sounds like a fun round there MJ! Hopefully work will allow you to play or you can work something out. I have a really good feeling your gonna do great in that tournament!

And, yes, I will be a free man soon!!!! It's true. Once I have a normal life again I guarantee you I'll have more to add here in Confessions, like you MDG :) , I feel I have nothing to add most of the time too, but that's because my days are basically carbon copies of each other LOL. Wake up at 5am, walk the dog, clean the kitchen, sort my Grandmothers medication, prepare my Grandmothers breakfast, feed the dog, prepare my Grandmother to go to the Senior Center (8-5pm), load my Mom's bags into her car, work on golf swing, 3 hour break, eat lunch, work on golf swing, tidy up the house, work out, prepare dinner for my Grandmother, exercise the dog, eat dinner, prepare my Mom's dinner, work on swing, watch golf on TV, then sleep. This is my day, basically 7 days a week for almost 2 and a half years now LOL SO just knowing that I'll be able to move forward with my life this year is HUGE news for me. I will be taking all of you along with me on my journey to the Asian Tour in 2018, it's going to happen. :D

The Confessions thread will always be very very special to me, you ALL have helped me get through the toughest stretch of my life. I've cried, laughed, and felt like giving up so many times in the last 2 years it's crazy. Many of those days I wasn't feeling strong I was able to get strength from you guys. So I thank you all!

Sounds like a fun round there MJ! Hopefully work will allow you to play or you can work something out. I have a really good feeling your gonna do great in that tournament!

And, yes, I will be a free man soon!!!! It's true. Once I have a normal life again I guarantee you I'll have more to add here in Confessions, like you MDG :) , I feel I have nothing to add most of the time too, but that's because my days are basically carbon copies of each other LOL. Wake up at 5am, walk the dog, clean the kitchen, sort my Grandmothers medication, prepare my Grandmothers breakfast, feed the dog, prepare my Grandmother to go to the Senior Center (8-5pm), load my Mom's bags into her car, work on golf swing, 3 hour break, eat lunch, work on golf swing, tidy up the house, work out, prepare dinner for my Grandmother, exercise the dog, eat dinner, prepare my Mom's dinner, work on swing, watch golf on TV, then sleep. This is my day, basically 7 days a week for almost 2 and a half years now LOL SO just knowing that I'll be able to move forward with my life this year is HUGE news for me. I will be taking all of you along with me on my journey to the Asian Tour in 2018, it's going to happen. :D

The Confessions thread will always be very very special to me, you ALL have helped me get through the toughest stretch of my life. I've cried, laughed, and felt like giving up so many times in the last 2 years it's crazy. Many of those days I wasn't feeling strong I was able to get strength from you guys. So I thank you all!

Good for you, TJ!!

Good for you, TJ!!

Thanks MC!!! I'll finally get to hit that DBD, the thing is a year in my possession and it's still new LOL

Good for you, TJ!!

Thanks MC!!! I'll finally get to hit that DBD, the thing is a year in my possession and it's still new LOL

I think you'll like it. It does like to be hit in the sweet spot, though!

BTW, Brah, I finally did it! Lmao!

Good for you, TJ!!

I think you'll like it. It does like to be hit in the sweet spot, though!

BTW, Brah, I finally did it! Lmao!

They all do Brahh! LOL :D

Wait,...you found the mythical cli........ I mean, sweet spot :)

C'mon guys,

Let nature take it's due course. When you find the "sweet spot" you'll know from the reaction, feel and noise (not necessarily in that order)

Good hunting!

Happy Trails to you! .......And all that other great stuff.

I confess it was 95 F out the other day after work and I bailed on playing golf. I thought about you, almost reconsidered, but I still wussed out.

You're gonna need a technical advisor in your entourage, and I need a retirement plan. Plus I got the Filipino connections. Have your people call my people and let's do lunch sometime.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I confess it was 95 F out the other day after work and I bailed on playing golf. I thought about you, almost reconsidered, but I still wussed out.

You're gonna need a technical advisor in your entourage, and I need a retirement plan. Plus I got the Filipino connections. Have your people call my people and let's do lunch sometime.

Lol! No worries Brah, high heat is dangerous if your not used to it so you lose no points in my book!

You got it! Well talk numbers LOL And you'll always be my Kuya!! And Salamat for all your help in advance :)

So, tentatively, in 2018 I'm going to do the either the Asian Tour Q School or Philippine Golf Tour Q School depending on how my game progresses. PGT is more likely, I need to get more big tournament experience and I'm going to try to play all the big AM. tournaments in Asia that I can next year, money permitting of course.

I'll have a better idea once I get out to the range and get some rounds under my belt, that will happen this year! Best case next month, worst case Dec. so it's gonna happen! More importantly though, I'm just gonna put in the work everyday and not sweat the timeline. I'll know when I'm ready when I win everything here, and place or win the bigger AM tournaments around the region.

Lol! No worries Brah, high heat is dangerous if your not used to it so you lose no points in my book!

You got it! Well talk numbers LOL And you'll always be my Kuya!! And Salamat for all your help in advance :)

So, tentatively, in 2018 I'm going to do the either the Asian Tour Q School or Philippine Golf Tour Q School depending on how my game progresses. PGT is more likely, I need to get more big tournament experience and I'm going to try to play all the big AM. tournaments in Asia that I can next year, money permitting of course.

I'll have a better idea once I get out to the range and get some rounds under my belt, that will happen this year! Best case next month, worst case Dec. so it's gonna happen! More importantly though, I'm just gonna put in the work everyday and not sweat the timeline. I'll know when I'm ready when I win everything here, and place or win the bigger AM tournaments around the region.

Kaibigan ko, fo' sho'! And I work cheap (kuripot) when friends and golf are involved.

Finally there is light at the end of the tunnel for you! That is fantastic news. In a completely non-bromantic way, here's a soothing tune to see you to the 'end':

Registered Bladeocrat

Been hot, humid and dry for me. 17 days in a row of 90+ 48 days since June 1st and 35 since July 1st. All with dewpoints pretty much at or above 70. Only one day in the 70s - 78 on like June 5th. Otherwise a lot of 88s, 89s, with a few 87, 86 and the rare 85. At most we've gotten around 5 inches of rain since beginning of June - just got about 1/2 inch today so things might break this week and we get some decent rainfall. Was cutting the "grass" every other week - but have gone to every 3 weeks just to start up and run the mower - cut it this am but frankly if was only a few shady spots that really needed mowing and I could have used my trimmer on them.

Walking more golf - been getting in 2/3 rounds a week with maybe 1 or 2 days of practice. Have to be careful though. Last week, I made a mistake - went out at 5 but hadn't eaten since 11 - was fine until 12 when things hit me - by 14 I new it was not good but at far end of course - ended up bunting the ball around to finish. Drank plenty of water but ran completely out of steam. Came back the next day and had no problem - just made sure I had eaten and had snacks.

Wife and I played our first couples golf outing - 9 hole scramble. We won. Whoopee. I provide a lot of the ball striking and the other couple provided some amazing putting - they made 5 putts of at least 10 feet on the last try - 3 by the husband and 2 by the wife.

The one hand swings are still coming along. Just how hard this game is, I just noticed that I had fallen back a bit into my old setup of high hands and not enough hip bend - lead to flat shoulder turn and hitting a lot of low balls especially with longer clubs - got out for three holes yesterday (it rained at the course but not at my house) and hit a couple of 250 3ws - felt different but the results were more in line what I was used to prior to losing 2 months in April/May to pulled lat muscle and June to travel - guess I came back and slipped in my setup - just happened to notice while doing some mirror work at home. After a couple of days, I'm starting to feel comfortable again with my setup and resulting BS. Hard game.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Congrats on the win GLK!!! That must have been a good time, I enjoy a good scramble, it allows me to "let my golfing hair down" and just have fun.

Be careful out in that heat, and you definitely gotta make sure you eat!! LOL I know that gassed feeling where even the golf clubs feel heavy. I used to play like that all the time, barely drank water, never had snacks, always hung over, it's amazing I was a scratch golfer to be honest.

I totally agree, golf is hard, but I think that's what makes it so awesome lol. One thing I've learned the past couple years studying the game and planning my road back is you must always make sure posture, grip, and alignment are in check. Also, drills like your one hand drill are great to start every range session with. I never really practiced with much discipline before, I put it the time but it was unfocused time which is basically a waste of time. My new routine includes always laying down alignment rods, have a checklist of fundamentals, using drills to warm up and keep my mechanics in tune, then proceed with working the bag and my routine.

So, a couple guys from my regular group are playing in the US Am this week. Thought I would just toss this out here, and send them a good luck wish. Oakland Hills is around the corner from all of us, so they are psyched to have made it for the hometown event. Brad Bastion with approach to 18. 2013 US Mid Am quarter finalist, and 2015 Michigan Publinx Medal Play Champ, and Anthony Sorentino, 2 time GAM Mid-Am champ and GAM TOC champ.

Oh hai guise.

Awesome, Niner!

I dream of competing at that level.

Hey Matt. I've been away for a bit, hope all is well. It really is an incredible experience for these guys. I'm yet to play in a USGA event. I had to pull out of qualifying prior to the day of the event this year, but if I was honest with myself I wasn't playing well enough to make it anyhow. It was a bummer since it was local. Would have loved to have played. So happy for my buddies though. Really an incredible feat just to make it in the field.

Awesome, Niner!

Hey Matt. I've been away for a bit, hope all is well. It really is an incredible experience for these guys. I'm yet to play in a USGA event. I had to pull out of qualifying prior to the day of the event this year, but if I was honest with myself I wasn't playing well enough to make it anyhow. It was a bummer since it was local. Would have loved to have played. So happy for my buddies though. Really an incredible feat just to make it in the field.

Hey Niner, where do you stand, game-wise vs your buddies that qualified? Are they consistently better than you or are you all about the same skill? Also what specifically to you is not 'playing well enough'?

Just curious as to whether or not what constitutes 'bad golf' is the same for hacks like me as it is for players like you and your buds. Also since you were your club's champion at one point I was wondering how much that differs, if any, from being a US Am tournament player.

Registered Bladeocrat

Awesome, Niner!

Hey Niner, where do you stand, game-wise vs your buddies that qualified? Are they consistently better than you or are you all about the same skill? Also what specifically to you is not 'playing well enough'?

Just curious as to whether or not what constitutes 'bad golf' is the same for hacks like me as it is for players like you and your buds. Also since you were your club's champion at one point I was wondering how much that differs, if any, from being a US Am tournament player.

We all play even. I have a few local wins as well. State match play, Michigan publinx medal play in 2014, which Brad also won in 2015, POTY a couple times. Lost to Anthony in a playoff for the mid am, but beat him in the final of the state match play last year.

Not playing well enough simply means that I haven't had time to practice as much as I would like, so scoring on a set-up like the US Am and Qualifiers has been a little worse due to short game dullness.

I've only played maybe 25 rounds this year.

If I'm not consistently shooting under par, then it feels "bad." When I am playing well, for example last year and 2014, I think I had more rounds in the 60s than the 70s.

Thanks Nine and I must confess that it is really cool to get your perspective on the game. That's something for which I am grateful to WRX.

I was also curious if all your buds were 'naturally good' like you are (since you mentioned once that you were good at a young age) or did any of them learn the game at a late age and through pure hard work got to the level they are now?

I think at some point natural talent, like with all sports, takes over and although hard work can make up for some of it, to play serious competitive golf you have to have talent to excel at it at the higher levels.

Registered Bladeocrat