2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

Thanks Nine and I must confess that it is really cool to get your perspective on the game. That's something for which I am grateful to WRX.

I was also curious if all your buds were 'naturally good' like you are (since you mentioned once that you were good at a young age) or did any of them learn the game at a late age and through pure hard work got to the level they are now?

I think at some point natural talent, like with all sports, takes over and although hard work can make up for some of it, to play serious competitive golf you have to have talent to excel at it at the higher levels.

We all started playing competitively pretty early.

I confess that seeing an Olympic golfer miss a 2" putt kinda makes me feel a lot better about my own putting.

I really want to know what the tour statistic is for the distance a putt is 100% made. Is it 1"? 1.5"? 0.5"?

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Currently 19 players on Tour with 100% from 3 feet or less.

Ryan Palmer 701 attempts is most attempts. Furyk at 361 is least attempts.

199th is 98.5% 8 misses in 420 attempts.

http://www.pgatour.c...s/stat.341.html

Note: Only, Andrew Landry is 100% from greater that 3' but not more than 4' at 62 attempts - on 3' or less he has missed one of 297 attempts.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Thanks glk!

I'm wondering if there is a distance of 100% make for all players as a whole. I'm talking never ever miss distance.

Registered Bladeocrat

Registered Bladeocrat

I've done that before, but from more like a foot. I wasn't having a great day, I was shaky from drinking the entire bar the night before. Went to "finish" on the 3rd hole, national team qualifier, did what she did. LOL My running joke the rest of the day was "2 putts from 1 foot"

In anticipation of freedom I've received some help to complete my golf gear. Picked up a new driver shaft and 3 wood shaft, gonna re-grip everything so the whole set matches, new putter grip plus I'm extending my putter 2", and a couple pairs of golf shoes. I'm dying here, can't wait to wear the range and course out LOL

I've done that before, but from more like a foot. I wasn't having a great day, I was shaky from drinking the entire bar the night before. Went to "finish" on the 3rd hole, national team qualifier, did what she did. LOL My running joke the rest of the day was "2 putts from 1 foot"

Did you see what Lucas Glover did today at Greenboro? He had i would say a 20 footer on the 18th to shoot 59. Left it about 3 foot short. His next putt he darn near shanked it they showed it on TV he hit it dead in the heel on a Newport Scotty right on the circle T mark. said later on after missing the 59 putt he lost all concentration

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

In anticipation of freedom I've received some help to complete my golf gear. Picked up a new driver shaft and 3 wood shaft, gonna re-grip everything so the whole set matches, new putter grip plus I'm extending my putter 2", and a couple pairs of golf shoes. I'm dying here, can't wait to wear the range and course out LOL

Missing short putts is why a gimme is a ridiculous notion. That never miss stat I was seeking is what I consider the maximum gimme distance.

You are almost free!

Registered Bladeocrat

I had one at < 1 foot. Took a proper stance, nice stroke and jammed my putter in the ground. It rolled forward about 6"......Yayyy.....Tap in! :yahoo:.............. For bogey!

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

I had one at < 1 foot. Took a proper stance, nice stroke and jammed my putter in the ground. It move forward about 6"......Yayyy.....Tap in! :yahoo:

I had one at 1' too. It was wet out and the greens and course were sandy. There was sand stuck on the face of my putter, so when I hit the tap in the ball just didn't come of the face at all and it went no more than 3". Now I always check and wipe the face of my putter when it is wet out. Also I'm known to go through my entire putt routine for a 1' putt. Set up and practice stroke. (NEVER AGAIN!)

Registered Bladeocrat

I missed a 3 inch putt in a tournament one time. Had about a 8 footer for an eagle that would have forced a 4 hole carry over on the skins pot. I pulled the putt and it was straight in too. I was hot as a match because at the time I was a good putter. I sorta jabbed at the 3 incher and actually jabbed so hard it jumped over the cup. I was out of the money in the tournament any how and was more worried about the skins pot. We had the draw of being in the last group so I knew where I stood in both the tournament and the skins pot. Ended up in my pissed off mode and not caring birdied the last 3 holes and ended up last in the money for the tournament. Not a whole lot for a 1 day tournament with 40 players but it did pay my expenses. Sometimes in those little Outlaw non sanctioned events the skins pot paid more than the actual tournament did depending on the number of players etc plus other side action

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I'm in the MKE airport and made the mistake of perusing the latest Golf and Golf Digest crap-azines. I confess that club advertising just chafes my brain.

Registered Bladeocrat

I'm in the MKE airport and made the mistake of perusing the latest Golf and Golf Digest crap-azines. I confess that club advertising just chafes my brain.

Drop anything Golf, and pick up Fishing Adventure crap-azines. Your next purchase will be a brand new (and improved) Bass Boat!

Drop anything Golf, and pick up Fishing Adventure crap-azines. Your next purchase will be a brand new (and improved) Bass Boat!

I love fishing. For every fisherman is one more open tee time!

Registered Bladeocrat

Wishing you the best, Dude.

Enjoy.

Wishing you the best, Dude.

Enjoy.

Thank you very much Sir :hi:

Hit about 400 balls this morning. Gotta get my timing and plane back together.

If you're anything like me, relaxation kicks in after the first 250 or so. Then, you groove the swing. To this day, I still wonder. Is it the swing, or is it tempo?

IMHO, cerebral golf causes the "crooked" swing, TEMPO cures it. The grip comes next, it's like learning from the Green and working my way back to the tee.

How does that make any sense, you ask?

When we go to the range, don't we all begin a session with a wedge? (or short club)

Nice, but don't cram too much before your tourney (Labor Day weekend right??) From what I've been reading from your posts pertaining to your rounds and game, you're there already! I wouldn't worry too much about your swing mechanics, stick to the basics like posture, grip, alignment, timing and rhythm. Of course work that short game. Hit a ton of 4-6 footers. And lastly, I dare you to try the gate drill with the putter :taunt: :taunt:

In other words, your game is good enough, groove it and go out and win the mother f*cker :)

It's been a while since I wished you humongus joy, happiness and tons of success on your journey, so here it is. :fan_1:

We all know you've rested long enough! :rofl:

It's been a while since I wished you humongus joy, happiness and tons of success on your journey, so here it is. :fan_1:

We all know you've rested long enough! :rofl:

Thanks MDG!!! Getting close to the end, I thought I'd be stuck like this forever sometimes. Ready to start the next chapter as a much better man.

Plus I'll have more to share here in Confessions as I start my golf journey.

Hope all is well out your way :)

If you're anything like me, relaxation kicks in after the first 250 or so. Then, you groove the swing. To this day, I still wonder. Is it the swing, or is it tempo?

IMHO, cerebral golf causes the "crooked" swing, TEMPO cures it. The grip comes next, it's like learning from the Green and working my way back to the tee.

When we go to the range, don't we all begin a session with a wedge? (or short club)

I agree with this, tempo and rhythm is where it's at! That's exactly why I start with a wedge too, find my rhythm. Luckily my tempo rarely varies, perhaps it from my 10+ years of drumming lol. But making the "tempo" groove is what I really focus on when warming up. I used to make the mistake of working on my mechanics before a tournament round. Took being taken away from the game these past couple years to realize all the somewhat bonehead things I did on the course, no more.

Btw Matt, hitting 400 balls isn't a bonehead move. I'm referring to my old self thinking I could compete at a high level without putting in the work before hand and trying to find it at the tournament LOL

I agree with this, tempo and rhythm is where it's at! That's exactly why I start with a wedge too, find my rhythm. Luckily my tempo rarely varies, perhaps it from my 10+ years of drumming lol. But making the "tempo" groove is what I really focus on when warming up. I used to make the mistake of working on my mechanics before a tournament round. Took being taken away from the game these past couple years to realize all the somewhat bonehead things I did on the course, no more.

Btw Matt, hitting 400 balls isn't a bonehead move. I'm referring to my old self thinking I could compete at a high level without putting in the work before hand and trying to find it at the tournament LOL

It's all about reducing sources of variability. Tempo is one of them. Repeatable set up and mechanics are tied to a given tempo. Change tempo, then you will need to change mechanics in order to square the club the same as with a different tempo.

Registered Bladeocrat

It's all about reducing sources of variability. Tempo is one of them. Repeatable set up and mechanics are tied to a given tempo. Change tempo, then you will need to change mechanics in order to square the club the same as with a different tempo.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Is it the egg or the chicken???

Ummmmm???

Ummmmm???

It's more like linear algebra or differential equations...multivariable equations to solve...

Registered Bladeocrat

Makes sense to me Ninja. When I set out to reduce my arm overrun in my swing it reduced the overall time of my swing. It felt like my swing was super fast, it set off a chain reaction of things being out of sync, mainly legs/hips. Luckily I've had nothing but time here to fix the small mess that occurred lol. The result is bigger shoulder turn, minimal arm overrun at the top, and more hip turn back and through. Visibly the swing looks shorter, but I was actually able to maintain the same overall rhythm of my swing thankfully. I think that took me 3 months to become "unconscious". With the driver though my swing stops at parallel, I used to go significantly past parallel before. So far past parallel I could see the clubhead at the top of my backswing LOL ala John Daly

Makes sense to me Ninja. When I set out to reduce my arm overrun in my swing it reduced the overall time of my swing. It felt like my swing was super fast, it set off a chain reaction of things being out of sync, mainly legs/hips. Luckily I've had nothing but time here to fix the small mess that occurred lol. The result is bigger shoulder turn, minimal arm overrun at the top, and more hip turn back and through. Visibly the swing looks shorter, but I was actually able to maintain the same overall rhythm of my swing thankfully. I think that took me 3 months to become "unconscious". With the driver though my swing stops at parallel, I used to go significantly past parallel before. So far past parallel I could see the clubhead at the top of my backswing LOL ala John Daly

The swing generates a continually increasing and directionally changing centripetal force that pulls on the golfer in a radial direction away from the golfer along the swing plane. At any given tempo, the body, through mechanics, is counterbalancing against this force in order to stay in balance. And tempo is directly related to the centripetal force. There is no way to avoid the interrelationship between tempo and mechanics. A change in one unequivocally changes the other.

Registered Bladeocrat

Ummmmm???

It's more like linear algebra or differential equations...multivariable equations to solve...

:good: :good: :good: :stinker: :shok: :pardon: