2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

LOL I just got my ghin update and I confess that I feel a little guilty by considering myself as a 'single digit' index when it is 9.9.

But I'm not losing sleep over it.

BroHamBro, forgive me, too. Last Saturday I flat out quit after 9 holes just 'cause I shot 47 and could not find my swing. I know, bro...quitters never win, and winners never quit...call me a loser fer shur.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

We got 6 inches of rain here in 24 hours according to a wunderground station about a long drive from my chucktown townhouse. Recall last October we received 26 inches in three days. And hermine came thru a week or so ago and dumped on chucktown too. There is rain then there is rain. Last fall and winter chucktown was on the receiving end of 40+ inches of rain about 5 months. Already at 10 for September. Hope no repeat of last year.

Papa did you actually play this am? I figured it to still be raining but looks like Julia decided to move more north and out to sea than predicted.

i did not. even with the rain stopping, the place i wanted to go play for practice was a mess

Forever Changing at this point.......

So, I think I got a fairly good offer from Callaway in the form of an out of warranty trade-in on an XR16 for $200. That sounds pretty good considering the new model club is still listed at $449.99 up here in Canada. I told the rep I was talking to that I wanted to hit one first before committing, but the truth is that I probably don't even need a driver. I suppose if I'm even thinking about buying another current type driver that I should take them up on this. Will mull it over the next few days.

Of more interest to the rest of you maybe that I had to deal directly with Callaway as they are no longer accepting "RA's" from Golftown while the parent company is in bankruptcy. It sure looked to me like a store that was going out of business in spite of the reassurances in the press that it would be business as usual during the process. Clearly that is not the case with suppliers. Inventory was extremely low particularly in consumables like balls, tees and gloves. I read elsewhere that 15 to 20 GT locations maybe closed and it's looking like the one close to me could be on the chopping block!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

LOL I just got my ghin update and I confess that I feel a little guilty by considering myself as a 'single digit' index when it is 9.9.

BroHamBro, forgive me, too. Last Saturday I flat out quit after 9 holes just 'cause I shot 47 and could not find my swing. I know, bro...quitters never win, and winners never quit...call me a loser fer shur.

9.9 is a single digit to me Bro hahaha!

No worries about having to call it a day after nine, live to fight another day. Sometimes we get into a real bad rhythm and it's like torture being out there, BTDT. However the "new" me would've gone straight to the range and find the culprit in my swing. That's actually gonna be a must for me moving forward, the warm down on the range. No longer will I go home and sleep on troubling golf swings and allow them to manifest in my psyche, then hope it's gone next time I tee it up LOL Hard to compete that way, for me.

So, I think I got a fairly good offer from Callaway in the form of an out of warranty trade-in on an XR16 for $200. That sounds pretty good considering the new model club is still listed at $449.99 up here in Canada. I told the rep I was talking to that I wanted to hit one first before committing, but the truth is that I probably don't even need a driver. I suppose if I'm even thinking about buying another current type driver that I should take them up on this. Will mull it over the next few days.

Of more interest to the rest of you maybe that I had to deal directly with Callaway as they are no longer accepting "RA's" from Golftown while the parent company is in bankruptcy. It sure looked to me like a store that was going out of business in spite of the reassurances in the press that it would be business as usual during the process. Clearly that is not the case with suppliers. Inventory was extremely low particularly in consumables like balls, tees and gloves. I read elsewhere that 15 to 20 GT locations maybe closed and it's looking like the one close to me could be on the chopping block!

Sounds like a pretty good deal, but yeah if you feel you don't need a driver then perhaps it's not worth forking out the coin.

I think with the internet age of purchasing it's becoming harder for stores to stay competitive, of course I could be wrong though LOL

As for weather, I won't rub in great the weather is here most of the year :beach: :D

All courses here use motor carts, almost all don't allow you drive on the course. Whenever I'm off island and get actually walk and play I enjoy it MUCH more, gives you time to think about things, let go of terrible shots, feel the terrain beneath your feet, etc. Some courses here would be dreadful to walk, actually most would. Most of the courses here have lots of jungle between holes, and some tee boxes are 3-400 yard walks up and down steep hills, not to mention the relentless heat and humidity. I think people would drop like flies if they walked, unless they were in good shape.

Leo Palace, one of my favorite golf courses here, used to host an Asian Tour event here back in the late 90's. They stopped coming here because the course was too difficult, and the walk was more difficult than the course haha. Those guys got pretty tore up when the wind kicked up a little above normal (there is ALWAYS wind here)

No worries about having to call it a day after nine, live to fight another day. Sometimes we get into a real bad rhythm and it's like torture being out there, BTDT. However the "new" me would've gone straight to the range and find the culprit in my swing. That's actually gonna be a must for me moving forward, the warm down on the range. No longer will I go home and sleep on troubling golf swings and allow them to manifest in my psyche, then hope it's gone next time I tee it up LOL Hard to compete that way, for me.

I think the best time to spend at the range is after a round, and just like you state it is best for troubleshooting a current swing issue. The more I golf, the less time I spend at the range before a round and the more time I spend there after a round. I don't do it 100%, but then again I'm not trying to make it on the tour.

Registered Bladeocrat

Confession (holy cow two from me in a week?):

I actually hate the range. Now I like going to hit a small bucket just to keep a few things in check or get loose, but I can't sit there and beat balls for more than 30-45 minutes. It just gets too boring or to static for me. Maybe it's because our range is pretty dull. There are a few flags and "greens" out there but it's just blah hahha.

Now chipping and putting I'll do for like 3 hours if I have the time haha. Allows me chop from a lot of different lies try to styles or attempt fancy techniques until I get comfortable enough to do it on the course. Putting is fun too because the green is huge and has a lot of different slopes. Sometimes it's frustrating but overall good practice. I only wish it was faster speed and less receptive to chipping like the greens are on the course.

This keeps getting better. Considering the situation at Golftown stores as a result of the bankruptcy proceedings I called up the local green grass pro-shop to see if they still had an XR-16 driver that I could hit. (This is the same pro-shop that I was fitted for my Ping i25 irons and subsequently ordered from)

I explained the situation to the head professional, who also happens to own the course and he said that he will look after me on this including a fitting and handling the details with Callaway including shipping the damaged club back to them at his expense! :swoon:

How do you refuse that? I can't. That's the definition of going above and beyond for customer service! So now I have a fitting booked for when I return from holiday. I may not need a new driver, but I'm going to get one. I almost feel obligated! :lol:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I actually hate the range. Now I like going to hit a small bucket just to keep a few things in check or get loose, but I can't sit there and beat balls for more than 30-45 minutes. It just gets too boring or to static for me. Maybe it's because our range is pretty dull. There are a few flags and "greens" out there but it's just blah hahha.

Now chipping and putting I'll do for like 3 hours if I have the time haha. Allows me chop from a lot of different lies try to styles or attempt fancy techniques until I get comfortable enough to do it on the course. Putting is fun too because the green is huge and has a lot of different slopes. Sometimes it's frustrating but overall good practice. I only wish it was faster speed and less receptive to chipping like the greens are on the course.

I will practice short game for as long as my back doesn't get sore, but range time is limited to a bucket max. I look at short game practice like a basketball shoot around - random practice of various 'shots'. The hole being present and the fact that the practice green is actually like the course greens helps with the fun factor. OTOH, the range is a bit of a departure from the actual course, so it is not as close to it as the short game area is. Add mats to this and it gets even more foreign...BORING...

Registered Bladeocrat

I will practice short game for as long as my back doesn't get sore, but range time is limited to a bucket max. I look at short game practice like a basketball shoot around - random practice of various 'shots'. The hole being present and the fact that the practice green is actually like the course greens helps with the fun factor. OTOH, the range is a bit of a departure from the actual course, so it is not as close to it as the short game area is. Add mats to this and it gets even more foreign...BORING...

I agree completely haha. The range is just so monotonous. Need course time haha

This keeps getting better. Considering the situation at Golftown stores as a result of the bankruptcy proceedings I called up the local green grass pro-shop to see if they still had an XR-16 driver that I could hit. (This is the same pro-shop that I was fitted for my Ping i25 irons and subsequently ordered from)

I explained the situation to the head professional, who also happens to own the course and he said that he will look after me on this including a fitting and handling the details with Callaway including shipping the damaged club back to them at his expense! :swoon:

How do you refuse that? I can't. That's the definition of going above and beyond for customer service! So now I have a fitting booked for when I return from holiday. I may not need a new driver, but I'm going to get one. I almost feel obligated! :lol:

that is awesome! congrats there man

Sounds like a great deal to me!! Perhaps you'll end up having a driver that out performs your 3 wood haha :taunt: Let us know how it goes, and enjoy your Holiday!

I used to actually be scared of the range at one point. When playing a tournament or skins game I would actually avoid the range at all costs. For me, I'd start hitting the ball terribly, then have to head out to the course lost as ever. Also, like Ninja mentioned, the range conditions make a difference. That being said, I now have a range routine, and even before my long break I learned how to warm up and how to practice. Especially knowing the difference. When I get back out there range time will be important, but it will be LOTS of drills, then target practice. It can be boring, but as long as I practice things I'm NOT good at I should be fine. Also, I treat practice like working out, it can be a drag, but I think of the results I'll get from putting in the time. Of course my goals make range time an absolute must thought LOL

I used to actually be scared of the range at one point. When playing a tournament or skins game I would actually avoid the range at all costs. For me, I'd start hitting the ball terribly, then have to head out to the course lost as ever. Also, like Ninja mentioned, the range conditions make a difference. That being said, I now have a range routine, and even before my long break I learned how to warm up and how to practice. Especially knowing the difference. When I get back out there range time will be important, but it will be LOTS of drills, then target practice. It can be boring, but as long as I practice things I'm NOT good at I should be fine. Also, I treat practice like working out, it can be a drag, but I think of the results I'll get from putting in the time. Of course my goals make range time an absolute must thought LOL

I absolutely hate warming up and feeling lost for the first tee. Another big reason I don't like doing it haha

Been waiting to see this song on video. Woke up to rain and thought of it.

Registered Bladeocrat

I think the best time to spend at the range is after a round, and just like you state it is best for troubleshooting a current swing issue. The more I golf, the less time I spend at the range before a round and the more time I spend there after a round. I don't do it 100%, but then again I'm not trying to make it on the tour.

I wholeheartedly agree.

No room for debate, right there.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

I absolutely hate warming up and feeling lost for the first tee. Another big reason I don't like doing it haha

Ever think of hitting a bunch of, (15-20) easy full swing, 8i, for the sole purpose of loosening up before tee time?

Ever think of hitting a bunch of, (15-20) easy full swing, 8i, for the sole purpose of loosening up before tee time?

Doesn't even take that many, I find. 10 swings are plenty with an 8 iron. That does seem to be the magic club to use though.

I even found that the practice green can be a waste of time as it is often quite a bit different than greens on the course which almost always are faster. I do find a few chips/pitches can be worthwhile if just to get the wrist action going though and get a sense of clean, crisp contact.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

That's basically all I do. Pw, 6, driver just to warm up. Not swinging that hard. Theni chio and putt for about 29 or so minutes.

Doesn't even take that many, I find. 10 swings are plenty with an 8 iron. That does seem to be the magic club to use though.

I even found that the practice green can be a waste of time as it is often quite a bit different than greens on the course which almost always are faster. I do find a few chips/pitches can be worthwhile if just to get the wrist action going though and get a sense of clean, crisp contact.

Chipping is for just getting my wrist to work the way I want them to, to make sure I am turning and using my shoulder properly, and to focus on a decent setup. Putting pre round is for alignment purposes only. I don't do many longer putts more than 4-5 feet. I just want to make sure I can hit my line for the day. Like you said speed is usually no where close so taking longer putts for feel is worthless

@Papa Johick

After my initial warm up, with the 8i, I use my weighted doughnut on my driver, to help out with further stretching.

Whenever I use a variety of clubs during, what should be *warm-up*, it turns out to be a mini range session. That will instantly add stress before I even get to the first tee, should I muff one.

I never hit more than ±10 shots on the Putting green. Usually 5-6, rarely more.

SIDE NOTE:

Should I've been at the Mini Golf, (Putt-Putt) within the last couple of days, I ignore the Practice Green.

I know it's weird, but for some reason, it works for me.

@Papa Johick

After my initial warm up, with the 8i, I use my weighted doughnut on my driver, to help out with further stretching.

Whenever I use a variety of clubs during, what should be *warm-up*, it turns out to be a mini range session. That will instantly add stress before I even get to the first tee, should I muff one.

I never hit more than ±10 shots on the Putting green. Usually 5-6, rarely more.

SIDE NOTE:

Should I've been at the Mini Golf, (Putt-Putt) within the last couple of days, I ignore the Practice Green.

I know it's weird, but for some reason, it works for me.

I can understand that. And didn't mean to be so precise about 29 minutes haha. I'm pretty sure I meant 20 or so haha. Darn fingers. I just like putting haha

I mostly hit wedges when I'm warming up. Maybe 20 or 30 shots to hone in my timing and exertion level. Then I hit 2 or 3 shots with a mid-iron, a fairway, a short iron, lastly driver then putt. For a big round I'll chip and pitch too. Every putt has a purpose. 10 from 5 or 6 feet to check alignment, 10 or 15 for speed, and then I'm off. A true practice session I might hit 30 or 40 balls with one club.

My partner and I played pretty well for the member guest. Paired with the eventual winner on Sunday really negatively effected my partner. They did shoot a 63 best ball. I think I hit 9 fairways and 12 greens, only one bird though. I thought if I broke 80 that would at least give us a chance, not so. I shot a 78 with a double, but we had some bogies that killed our chances.

My swing is really coming along. Big test today. Had not touched a club for a week since our visit to our mt pleasant, sc townhouse. Played today. Cold. 78 with an iffy swing until the final few holes - I was a bit flat on my turn. Turned in 39 after a nice sandy on 9 ( grrrrh missed a 4 footer on 8 that also would have been a sandy. Then go bogey, double, bogey to start the back. Feel a bit lost. Par in with a birdie to finish on 18 - in front of the UT women's team that was playing in front of me - polite applause. I tipped my cap harry vardon style. Lol.

Seeing Monte next month. Hope to get the 0n boditrak and his 3D system.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

My swing is really coming along. Big test today. Had not touched a club for a week since our visit to our mt pleasant, sc townhouse. Played today. Cold. 78 with an iffy swing until the final few holes - I was a bit flat on my turn. Turned in 39 after a nice sandy on 9 ( grrrrh missed a 4 footer on 8 that also would have been a sandy. Then go bogey, double, bogey to start the back. Feel a bit lost. Par in with a birdie to finish on 18 - in front of the UT women's team that was playing in front of me - polite applause. I tipped my cap harry vardon style. Lol.

Did you eat well down here? We didn't get a chance to go out sadly haha. Oh well. It's comes around a few times a year.

Have two more practice rounds before the big day. Found out that only 16 people have signed up for the net division as of yesterday. If that's the case then I'm hooong I can st least get into the top half haha. I did keep score yesterday since it was my first round in about 3 weeks. It was sloppy but I got around in 91 with a 3 putt bogey on 18 haha. Driver was decent just need to get my timing down a little to keep the pulls from creeping in. Hit a lot of duffs with the old wedge which isn't like me but i straightened that out afterwards. Too much upper body and stabbing instead of having some hip rotation. Tomorrow will be just hitting two or three balls from all over the course working on bunker shots and hitting from the rough. It is super thick right now due to all the rain. Doesn't look like they are going to cut it much either haha.

Hope everyone is well

Did you eat well down here? We didn't get a chance to go out sadly haha. Oh well. It's comes around a few times a year.

Have two more practice rounds before the big day. Found out that only 16 people have signed up for the net division as of yesterday. If that's the case then I'm hooong I can st least get into the top half haha. I did keep score yesterday since it was my first round in about 3 weeks. It was sloppy but I got around in 91 with a 3 putt bogey on 18 haha. Driver was decent just need to get my timing down a little to keep the pulls from creeping in. Hit a lot of duffs with the old wedge which isn't like me but i straightened that out afterwards. Too much upper body and stabbing instead of having some hip rotation. Tomorrow will be just hitting two or three balls from all over the course working on bunker shots and hitting from the rough. It is super thick right now due to all the rain. Doesn't look like they are going to cut it much either haha.

Hope everyone is well

Swing & swine is really good. Brisket and pork belly excellent. Pies are great too. Sausage, meh.

Went to hymans for the first and last time - so mediocre but the deal was 5 for $ 25. Tons of food.

Did the Mac and cheese at crave and ate at fuel. Neither were restaurant week meals though my wife did have the crave restaurant meal. Thought of halls but we gorged there last month for our anniversary - - always top notch and best service I have ever had in any restaurant.

Still firm and fast here and the greens are still recovering from aeration last month - bit on the soft side. Have had 2 inches of rain in last two months and tons of 90 degree days - this week is just upper 80s. Imagine it is still soggy there. Our Bermuda is really tough. 3 inches but the ball just drops to the bottom and it is pretty much a gouge - 80 yard 8i at bedtime- plus you really need to eyeball any shot in the rough cause finding it can be tough. Miss the bluegrass rough in Chicago.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

When we were at fuel they were filming southern charm - - bravo reality show. Staging an entrance by some southern belle , ..... we did not get included. They were having folks sign consent forms that were being filmed.

Lots of our usual haunts we didn't get to - hometeam BBQ, tattooed moose, sesame, poogahs, sea biscuit, ...

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified