2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

When we were at fuel they were filming southern charm - - bravo reality show. Staging an entrance by some southern belle , ..... we did not get included. They were having folks sign consent forms that were being filmed.

Lots of our usual haunts we didn't get to - hometeam BBQ, tattooed moose, sesame, poogahs, sea biscuit, ...

we've been wanting to get to sea biscuit for brunch but its always a huge wait. i hear its really good. love home team on sullivans

Forever Changing at this point.......

When we were at fuel they were filming southern charm - - bravo reality show. Staging an entrance by some southern belle , ..... we did not get included. They were having folks sign consent forms that were being filmed.

Lots of our usual haunts we didn't get to - hometeam BBQ, tattooed moose, sesame, poogahs, sea biscuit, ...

we've been wanting to get to sea biscuit for brunch but its always a huge wait. i hear its really good. love home team on sullivans

we get out to sea biscuit in the "off season" which really starts once school begins since though we went over in late August on a weekday around 9:00 and only waited about 15 minutes. I always seem to go with the green chile omelet with potatoes and lots of coffee. very good stuff. way better than any chain.

we go to the west ashley hometeam - the original. they've expanded it recently. you order at the counter and they bring it out - usually we sit in the bar area - they used to jam in a band in evenings but now with the expansion they have plenty of room- they took over the space that used to be a hair salon - knocked a hole in the wall and there you go. used to have half off wings during happy hour or Sunday - now it's just 30%. Our personal record is 36, years ago - at this point we get through about 18 and take 6 home - great leftover. When we roll into town our typical stop is hometeam with a run out to Costco. haven't been to the new place downtown.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

we get out to sea biscuit in the "off season" which really starts once school begins since though we went over in late August on a weekday around 9:00 and only waited about 15 minutes. I always seem to go with the green chile omelet with potatoes and lots of coffee. very good stuff. way better than any chain.

we go to the west ashley hometeam - the original. they've expanded it recently. you order at the counter and they bring it out - usually we sit in the bar area - they used to jam in a band in evenings but now with the expansion they have plenty of room- they took over the space that used to be a hair salon - knocked a hole in the wall and there you go. used to have half off wings during happy hour or Sunday - now it's just 30%. Our personal record is 36, years ago - at this point we get through about 18 and take 6 home - great leftover. When we roll into town our typical stop is hometeam with a run out to Costco. haven't been to the new place downtown.

That's good to know about sea biscuit. We haven't had the want to head to WA for home team. Only time we go there to eat is if I'm working in that area and the wife wants to meet up.

Playing with a guy in his 70s from NY retired. He's actually showing me some things and my back nine turned around. Awesome guy

Good deal. Hope you can make some of those things permanent.

Sometimes I pick up simple things when watching/playing with a really good player. Yesterday I was out to practice a bit since I really hadn't in about 2 weeks or so.

The tee sheet at Holston was pretty filled and playing wasn't going to happen until after 4 so ....

Turns out Peter Malnati was out. I was at the practice green when he and his group pulled up to the 13th tee. I recognized him and took a break and watched them tee off. Then watched him plan in to #15.

Just got a sense of rhythm which I took over to the range afterwards and had a very productive session with my trusty 9i.

I've also watched Scott Stallings play a few holes earlier in the year - the man has a swing that appears short and is very quick and he takes little time in pulling the trigger - must be one of the fastest guys out on tour - his psr must be like 5 sec then he gets over the ball it is gone - he had a down year (looks like his putting sucked) and just missed keeping his card but I watched him a bit over the weekend at Boise and a poor Sunday cost him a win but it looks like he's made enough money to get his card back next year.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

So in coming out of my putting slump I have simplified my putting key to one thing now: at impact I simply feel like my left (lead) shoulder goes in a straight up direction. Also it is a feel key only. I don't really care if, in actuality, it goes up at an angle or arc and not straight up. It is simply an easy action to feel and thus repeat.

I confess that this season was my absolute worst putting season in a few years. For my long putts I simply lost my distance and direction control and then that spread to overall lack of confidence with every putt. My stroke was lost and this was something I have never experienced with putting. It has been frustrating since my swing is better than ever but yet I'm not scoring better. Getting the Piretti has helped, but that lead shoulder key is even more important.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

So in coming out of my putting slump I have simplified my putting key to one thing now: at impact I simply feel like my left (lead) shoulder goes in a straight up direction. Also it is a feel key only. I don't really care if, in actuality, it goes up at an angle or arc and not straight up. It is simply an easy action to feel and thus repeat.

I confess that this season was my absolute worst putting season in a few years. For my long putts I simply lost my distance and direction control and then that spread to overall lack of confidence with every putt. My stroke was lost and this was something I have never experienced with putting. It has been frustrating since my swing is better than ever but yet I'm not scoring better. Getting the Piretti has helped, but that lead shoulder key is even more important.

I hate that. Im a feel putter and when those long distance putts start to not be so good it definitely affects the short ones too for the same reason as you claimed. Nothing seems to come close to going in and you just don't feel comfortable over any putt. That is when I have to get back to basics and just focus on my posture and stance. Usually comes back ;)

I hate that. Im a feel putter and when those long distance putts start to not be so good it definitely affects the short ones too for the same reason as you claimed. Nothing seems to come close to going in and you just don't feel comfortable over any putt. That is when I have to get back to basics and just focus on my posture and stance. Usually comes back ;)

With me this season 'usually comes back' was the issue. I went back to all my basics but still at the moment of truth I would brain fart and 'yip' the putt and all my technique would fall apart. It has been a struggle for months which was a new thing for me. Usually I struggle with putting for maybe a few rounds max. It is amazing and frustrating with this game how much a mental block and lack of confidence will set you back.

Registered Bladeocrat

I haven't paid much attention to my putting this season. Just started a bit this week. It's been okay so with less attention needed on my swing I turned to the flatstick.

Other than setup - I'm left hand low - with shaft aligned with left arm, right wrist hinged, and a tensionless grip, shoulders, etc - my swing key is to start by feeling like the palm of my left hand is pushing the club back. Spend some time rolling putts over a dime from about 3/4 feet on carpet at home - then doing putting circle out to about 5 feet on practice green and mix in a bit of 25/30 footers back and forth on the green - find a holes that are on a slope so I go down then up ...

On another note, today with be day #74 over 90 or better temps (17 90s in September so far so looks like we will hit 20 days of 90 or better) - and Sat/Sun are forecast in the 90s two - couple that with about 2 inches total of rain since August and can you say drought - we've only had about 16 inches of rain since May. We leave for San Diego next Tuesday and wouldn't you know - rain in the forecast with upper 70s afterwards. The weather people here in Knoxville area started talking about the fall feeling about 3 weeks ago - my wife and I just laughed. Only positive is these 90s are no where near the intense heat and humidity of July and most of August - the dew points have been running in the mid 60s rather than the low to mid 70s. Still little to no breeze.

Oh and the ball is still carrying quite nicely but with the watering required the fairways are somewhat firm but the greens are pretty soft - gotta keep that bent grass alive so it's kinda shaggy - used to be 11 up until early June but it's just been a game of keep it alive by the super since then - he talked about how the fall will really bring the return of firm/fast greens - think he's looking at October for that. LOL.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Well the tee times are set for the first day tomorrow. I am teeing off at 10:40. A little later than I would have preferred, but gives me a little more time to have a good morning/breakfast/warmup. The butterflies are already churning haha. I know I can't stop it, but my head keeps trying to make this a big deal for me (kind of is as I have never done a tournament that wasn't a scramble haha) even though I have no expectations to do really well. I have confidence, but I know that if I don't play well, it's not a huge deal. Not like I am trying to make it haha. I just want it to go semi good to keep me motivated to play in more tournaments.

LOL PJ the butterflies are because of your competitive spirit. Channel it! (And don't quit your day job yet.)

Registered Bladeocrat

LOL PJ the butterflies are because of your competitive spirit. Channel it! (And don't quit your day job yet.)

Haha no worries about that. My job is safe and sound. Thanks for all the advice guys and I'll update tomorrow

Good luck!! AND remember, it's just another round of golf so don't over prepare, eat a good breakfast, don't get to the course too early, stay relaxed and most importantly HAVE FUN :)

So that was not so great haha. It was sloppy. Shot 95. Putting was a little off and my chios weren't as it usually is. I know it's all on me, but the group I was paired with today was painfully slow. We teed off at 1040 and finished around 4. We maybe waited once or twice early on the group ahead and the group behind was always waiting. could not stay in a rhythm. Hopefully tomorrow just go well. I also don't have anything to worry about haha so go out without a care.

Also, three 20 hc players apparently shot lights out with 80,81 and 84..... i mean I guess it's possible but damn three people?

Tournament rounds are often 5 to 5.5 hours. Takes some getting used to. Best to take your time, cause you can't go anywhere. Goodo luck tomorrow. Don't worry about the sandbagging. Happens in every net event.

I'm not worried really about sandbagging. I just can't understand how people can do that and feel good haha. (Again maybe I'm just too competitive) about the pace, I guess in just spoiled that I usually play by myself or with one other and usually end up playing well under 3.5 hrs.

Course was in great shape though. Only thing tough were some of the pin placements. Some were right badger ridges where landing on the wrong part of the green meant auto 3 putt

So that was not so great haha. It was sloppy. Shot 95. Putting was a little off and my chios weren't as it usually is. I know it's all on me, but the group I was paired with today was painfully slow. We teed off at 1040 and finished around 4. We maybe waited once or twice early on the group ahead and the group behind was always waiting. could not stay in a rhythm. Hopefully tomorrow just go well. I also don't have anything to worry about haha so go out without a care.

Also, three 20 hc players apparently shot lights out with 80,81 and 84..... i mean I guess it's possible but damn three people?

Over the last few years at around a 10 index I have shot anywhere between 82 and 94 in club championship rounds. I really don't like having a bad round in a money game, but it is inevitable. LOL I *try* not to make a habit of it.

LOL three 20 'caps going that low has happened at my club before.

Registered Bladeocrat

RIP Mr. Arnold Palmer

Your entire army salutes you. :hi:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Confession: I am an insensitive ba$t*rd.

I've always had an axe to grind about this country's fascination with youth and our inability to promote aging gracefully. Mr. Palmer is a perfect example of a man that aged gracefully. He lived an incredible life that most of us can only look into like opening the cover of a book with pages filled with fairy tales. So, why does the media act as if it's a shocking story that he passed away well into his eighties? They've been running stories for two years about his declining health and even produced a feature length documentary film about his entire life. A moment of silence and some touching stories from those that knew him would have sufficed for me. I don't feel like interrupting their normal schedule and changing every single program has been very tasteful. It's almost as if the Golf Channel has no valuable programming... oops, I guess they don't. Well, maybe when a tournament is going on and the networks aren't running anything :: eye rolling emoticon ::.

So I've been drumming a bunch lately, trying to knock the rust off. Youtube has been a fun source of music and lessons actually, never had internet until 4 years ago amazingly, anyway I'm always on youtube looking for stuff to drum along to, stumbled on this. This is probably to most amazing version of this song I've ever heard since the original, as a matter of fact the chord selection and arrangement almost make this an original in itself. It's 8 minutes long so yeah, I recommend headphones or higher quality speakers than just laptop speakers. Sorry I had to share this! LOL

http://youtu.be/0g0R3skcTDQ

Halauan Pammer I get an error that the uploader is not allowing it to be viewed in my country.

Registered Bladeocrat

Halauan Pammer I get an error that the uploader is not allowing it to be viewed in my country.

Darn, that sucks!! Perhaps youtube considers Guam not part of the U.S. that's why I can view it? LOL

NINJA, I switched the video, it's from a different poster, maybe it works now. This version is too awesome, like a blend of MJ, Daft Punk, and Classical. Amazing, hope it works now!

Darn, that sucks!! Perhaps youtube considers Guam not part of the U.S. that's why I can view it? LOL

NINJA, I switched the video, it's from a different poster, maybe it works now. This version is too awesome, like a blend of MJ, Daft Punk, and Classical. Amazing, hope it works now!

Amazing arrangement and great performances. The wife likes it. I do too, but...my issue is the digitized talk box. After Freak-a-zoid by Midnight Star and Scorpio by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, the talk box thing was played out. (And yeah that is one of my issues with Daft Punk.)

Registered Bladeocrat

Amazing arrangement and great performances. The wife likes it. I do too, but...my issue is the digitized talk box. After Freak-a-zoid by Midnight Star and Scorpio by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, the talk box thing was played out. (And yeah that is one of my issues with Daft Punk.)

I get what you mean, what really melts my butter with that song is the arrangement, and the chords they used. Gave me goosbumbs, and that type of drumming is my style. I've always been hired here for my "pocket"/groove/head bobbing not for flashy drum fills. Also, those back-up singers are WONDERFUL! Lastly, the Heritage Orchestra never ceases to impress me along with their composer Jules Buckley.

You forgot Zapp and Roger for the talk box action, and just to nitpick :) , one used a harmonizer and the other used a vocoder. I actually think a talk box would have been better, more organic sound as you can still hear the actual vocal albeit at a lower level the synthesized sound.

Over the last few years at around a 10 index I have shot anywhere between 82 and 94 in club championship rounds. I really don't like having a bad round in a money game, but it is inevitable. LOL I *try* not to make a habit of it.

Played in a tourney back in high school as the "ringer" for my dad's buddies team. Played to a 12 which would be my handicap at the time... we shot 68 as a team and lost out to a bunch of 18 'caps by NINE strokes! They somehow shot a 59 (-13) in best ball on a course where second place was 66. Needless to say, I think the committee congratulated them on the win and "suggested" next time they play to their actual handicaps and not sandbag a Red Cross tournament again.

Played in a tourney back in high school as the "ringer" for my dad's buddies team. Played to a 12 which would be my handicap at the time... we shot 68 as a team and lost out to a bunch of 18 'caps by NINE strokes! They somehow shot a 59 (-13) in best ball on a course where second place was 66. Needless to say, I think the committee congratulated them on the win and "suggested" next time they play to their actual handicaps and not sandbag a Red Cross tournament again.

I can understand if you are a rapidly improving 18 'cap, but if you net in the low 60s on a regular basis...sumpin' ain't right.

But in general the net score system is mathmatically advantageous for lower net scores for the higher handicaps. Higher 'caps also have higher standard deviations around said 'cap.

Registered Bladeocrat

I can understand if you are a rapidly improving 18 'cap, but if you net in the low 60s on a regular basis...sumpin' ain't right.

But in general the net score system is mathmatically advantageous for lower net scores for the higher handicaps. Higher 'caps also have higher standard deviations around said 'cap.

I spoke to the guy running the tourney (my dad's buddy who enlisted me for his team) and it was noticed the year before they were almost all 6 index and below... the high 'cap was a 10.5 one year prior. It was a charity tourney, so it wasn't like 1st was getting $10k or something like that. All the same ... amazing how much the 'caps changed from year to year on those guys only to have them "turn it around" for that tourney. Hmmmm...

Sandbagging, used to deal with it in bowling, then golf. That's why I'm glad I'm playing straight up, you score what you score. We have a lot of 2 man best ball and individual modified callaway charity tournaments here as well. I usually play just for all the free food and drink,fun and money going for a cause (hopefully lol). As for the individual modified callaway stuff, it's usually white tees and I'll have zero change winning the net division so I always just go for low gross. It's fun hitting wedge into basically every hole and mid irons into par 5's lol