2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

GPS Watch vs Apple Watch

I've never owned a GPS watch, unit, or laser/rangefinder before. Always just relied on sprinklers, yardage books, or free iPhone apps.

I feel like I'd be the type of person that'd much rather have a wearable than a laser or hand held device. So I've been looking at some GPS watches. The Garmin S6 is standing out to me. But at those prices, why wouldn't I just get an Apple Watch with some golf GPS apps for it? One thing I love about the S6 is the feature where it pairs to your iPhone and pushes text messages to you. That's awesome.

But if I'm spending that much money on a golf GPS, it's basically just that. A golf GPS. If I get an Apple Watch for very similar price...I can have so much more. Golf GPS, Maps, Texts, Music, etc etc. So I'm just wondering, what reason would there be to buy a golf GPS watch over the Apple Watch?

Thanks for any info!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the Garmin S20 since the spring. For one the S20 has a phenominal battery life compared to the Apple watch. I charged my S20 on the 26th of last month and it now shows 31% charge. I have bluetooth, notifications an activity tracking on. I haven't played golf though since the last charge. To my understanding the Apple watch needs charging daily, which leads me to suspect it's capability to even survive a full round of golf? At the very least it's most likely nearly dead after a round.

S

I've never owned a "proper" smart watch as the idea of using maps or reading messages from a tiny screen is just not something I want to do. I rarely read the messages from the S20 eventhough it shows them. I don't know how many courses the Apple watch has or if it needs an internet connection to load courses? IMO, dedicated device works better from a golfers perspective. To my knowledge the S20 is also significantly cheaper than an Apple watch (gen2). Since gen 1 Apple watch has neither GPS or waterproofing I would not touch it.

If you would consider an older unit, the Garmin Approach S2 will be $100 on Costco.com starting 11/24.

I have an old Golflogix by Garmin that provides basic front/center/back along with layup yardages. No support or updates available any more and it's starting to have some reliability issues. This S2 may be a nice replacement for basic yardage functions which is all I care for.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

As an Apple Watch user, one of the reasons I bought the Apple watch was to use it as a GPS and I was completely let down. The problem is the GPS is only as good as the application and unfortunately, there is not a single GOOD application. There are some decent ones but I would much rather buy a Garmin S6.

If you plan to use the Apple watch for other things and Golf is just an accommodation then go for the Apple watch. The things I can do with this thing, I love. It makes a lot of stuff convenient. I can't wait til they make one that can tie into your LTE capabilities, then you virtually won't need your phone.

Currently, I use theGrint and they have told me via support that they're working on a new integrated app for the watch but don't have a time frame as to when it'll be release. It honestly sucks because you have to keep syncing it to your phone for yardages and you have to make sure you're continuously using your phone for yardages and stuff. It's more of a hindrance than it is helpful.

I was under the impression that with the Series 2 you don't need your phone around you any longer to play music... so does that mean that you can use the watch and a good app without needing the phone close to you?

I have an S6 that I was going to sell because I want the Series 2... but it's solely because of this new feature

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Having my phone close to me isn't a big deal. I already use it to manually enter my scores into Golfshot/Hole19/Nike Golf 360, or The Grint. If I'm walking, it goes in my bag which is right next to me. If I'm riding, it sits in the cupholder of the cart. So my phone is always easily accessible.

I guess I never thought about the watching having GPS capabilities or not. Basically it'd be the same as using it on my phone itself, just with a quicker display option on my wrist. The S6 is on sale now...and I'm really tempted to grab it.

I just looked... iphone series 2 has built in GPS so this would make me assume one could use it without the phone nearby. Which is a huge plus for me. I walk a lot even if my bag is on a cart and my phone is always in the cart or in my bag.

for what the golf GPS watches cost I will sell my S6 and buy the iphone series 2. The extra money is worth it simply because it will do more than just golf GPS

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

If you would consider an older unit, the Garmin Approach S2 will be $100 on Costco.com starting 11/24.

I have an old Golflogix by Garmin that provides basic front/center/back along with layup yardages. No support or updates available any more and it's starting to have some reliability issues. This S2 may be a nice replacement for basic yardage functions which is all I care for.

The S2 is a great unit...and all ya need !

The Apple watch 2 has build in GPS but that GPS is only used when it cannot connect to the iPhone (to save battery).

There is however another problem, most of the GPS apps are designed as iPhone apps with a display on the apple watch. The GPS app will not run when the watch is not connected to a phone (e.g. with hole 19 or GameGolf or GolfShot you have to start the round on the phone).

The only GPS app that will work on its own on the apple watch is the Ping app (but the GPS is not free unfortunately). Apparently the app will only last about 4 hours and then the battery is dead (as it also uses all other sensors in the phone).

One big problem with the GPS apps for the apple watch (or iPhone for that matter) is that they only offer distances to fixed front and back points. That is fine if you only ever approach the green from the centre of the fairway but if you are coming in from a significant angle (e.g. dogleg or when you found the fairway of another hole ;-) these distances might not be very useful (so you can't see how deep the green is and what's the min distance to get onto the green). Garmin or Skycaddie will give you NCF (Near/Centre/Far) distances as they have the greens mapped.

So far I haven't found a GPS app for my apple watch 2 that would completely replace my Skycaddie Linx. One annoying thing with the apps I've tried is that you don't have a 'auto' hole feature, where the app switches to the next hole when you get to the next teebox.

I just found the Vivoactive HR on Craigslist for $125. Anyone have any experience with it? I like the idea that it's kinda like an Apple Watch because it's a general smart watch, but has the Garmin name and GPS capability for golf still.

I don't think Vivofit HR is for golf? The Garmin x40 is for golf and fitness and looks nearly identical. I have the x40 and is worth a look if you want something for golf and fitness. The x40 can also provide notifications if you want. Also the Garmin s20 is worth a serious look.

I don't think Vivofit HR is for golf? The Garmin x40 is for golf and fitness and looks nearly identical. I have the x40 and is worth a look if you want something for golf and fitness. The x40 can also provide notifications if you want. Also the Garmin s20 is worth a serious look.

It's definitely not a golf specific watch, but it does have GPS built into it with a golf setting! Same course directory as their other golf watches, except they don't come pre-installed. I have to us the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone to download and install the courses into the watch before playing. But it should give me distances to front, middle, and back, as well as a layout of the green, and manual score entry.

KI1nWsH.png

I'll be trying it out this weekend for the first time!