2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Car died am I nuts for not replacing it?

One_Putt_Blunder

Figured I would post a long term update here. Been a little over a year, still rolling without a car. In a way I am glad I have held out. All the walking to work has lead me back to hiking on the weekends. I've dropped about 20lbs since this time last year. I have also re evaluated my desires in a car because I have been hiking in the back country so often. Instead of getting a 2 door sports car, I am leaning to a 4wd Tacoma to get me to some more remote trailheads that I can't get to even with the wifes 2wd suv. Plus the one car I really liked the Genesis Coupe R-spec warranty does not transfer to the 2nd owner really turned me off and the other options 370z I don't love, the Mustang GT crazy expensive to insure etc.

I have not even needed to rent a car on the weekends. Occasional Uber rides to/from local trailheads and golf courses, and careful planning with the wifes schedule has made it a bit easier than I anticipated. Are there times where I miss having a care absolutely. especially this time of year where I need to travel further for affordable golf. But I have been putting $ away so hopefully next year Ill have enough saved up to put 40-50% down on a new or 1-2 year old Tacoma and have an affordable payment.

It is weird, the last year without a car I have explored more of the back country around the valley than I have in the 19 previous years I lived here with a car.

ONe Putt, just buy a new Tacoma. Resale prices on used Tacomas are unbelievable. You’ll only save two or three thousand by buying one a couple years old. With new vehicle financing options and having all the new car warranty, new on those is a much better option.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured I would post a long term update here. Been a little over a year, still rolling without a car. In a way I am glad I have held out. All the walking to work has lead me back to hiking on the weekends. I've dropped about 20lbs since this time last year. I have also re evaluated my desires in a car because I have been hiking in the back country so often. Instead of getting a 2 door sports car, I am leaning to a 4wd Tacoma to get me to some more remote trailheads that I can't get to even with the wifes 2wd suv. Plus the one car I really liked the Genesis Coupe R-spec warranty does not transfer to the 2nd owner really turned me off and the other options 370z I don't love, the Mustang GT crazy expensive to insure etc.

I have not even needed to rent a car on the weekends. Occasional Uber rides to/from local trailheads and golf courses, and careful planning with the wifes schedule has made it a bit easier than I anticipated. Are there times where I miss having a care absolutely. especially this time of year where I need to travel further for affordable golf. But I have been putting $ away so hopefully next year Ill have enough saved up to put 40-50% down on a new or 1-2 year old Tacoma and have an affordable payment.

It is weird, the last year without a car I have explored more of the back country around the valley than I have in the 19 previous years I lived here with a car.

ONe Putt, just buy a new Tacoma. Resale prices on used Tacomas are unbelievable. You’ll only save two or three thousand by buying one a couple years old. With new vehicle financing options and having all the new car warranty, new on those is a much better option.

Yeah that's the way I was leaning after looking at prices. Wifey is due for a new ride soon too and she likes the 4 Runners might do a 2 car deal plus my sis is really really close friends with one of the bigger car dealers in the valley who happens to have a Toyota dealer. Unless I find a really really good used one 99% chance I'll go new since they hold their value really well and I'll likely be putting 3-5k miles a year on it which will really help resale time.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Haven't read all of the responses yet, but a used golf cart costs about $1500-$2000. Check and see if your local course allows "trailering" your own cart. If work and the gym are within a few miles, you may be able to drive it there also, especially if you don't have to drive on busy high speed roads.

Your DMV should have all the info you need to be on the right side of the law.

Edit: just read more and see you're already happily living the car-free life. Congrats!

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

• 5 months later...

Final Update

Well finally broke down and picked up a new ride. Starting in October I will be spending my weekends section hiking the 804 mile Arizona Trail and can't get around that without a vehicle. However I am still walking to work every day. I have come to really enjoy the walk in the morning as a way to get the blood moving. Walking home in the afternoon in 105+ heat I could live without but it is only 10-12 minutes

2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad with premium pack.

DkbbjB0U4AA0YcQ.jpg

DkbbjyeU0AAqB2T.jpg

Wheels i got thrown in with the deal which will be mounted up with some beefier All terrain tires in the next week or so and IMO will be a big improvement over the stock ones

DkSjZK2U4AED3LT.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

You are very smart not taking out auto loan when you know you will be applying for a mortgage. Not to mention saving on insurance. Doesnt sound like you will be missing out on much not having one. Now days with Uber, home delivery groceries/everything and if you really needed a car short term Turo is a great option. 1 bit of advise is if you have the cash to put 40-50% down on a car... DONT!! Depending on the amount of $ we are talking about. If its only a few grand no big deal please disregard my rant. Cars are a liability not an asset, meaning they lose value not gain. Money is cheep to borrow these days and if done right that downpayment cash could profit you much more than what it cost you to borrow the money. Thats assuming you can get a reasonable interest rate. I would much rather spend someone elses money over mine. Just bought the wife a new car. We are fortunate to have the cash to where if we wanted to forgo the loan we could. But we took the loan. Loan is going to cost us about $2k over the next 5 years and trust when i say that cash have will FAR EXCEED $2k in profits working somewhere else the next 58 months.

You are very smart not taking out auto loan when you know you will be applying for a mortgage. Not to mention saving on insurance. Doesnt sound like you will be missing out on much not having one. Now days with Uber, home delivery groceries/everything and if you really needed a car short term Turo is a great option. 1 bit of advise is if you have the cash to put 40-50% down on a car... DONT!! Depending on the amount of $ we are talking about. If its only a few grand no big deal please disregard my rant. Cars are a liability not an asset, meaning they lose value not gain. Money is cheep to borrow these days and if done right that downpayment cash could profit you much more than what it cost you to borrow the money. Thats assuming you can get a reasonable interest rate. I would much rather spend someone elses money over mine. Just bought the wife a new car. We are fortunate to have the cash to where if we wanted to forgo the loan we could. But we took the loan. Loan is going to cost us about $2k over the next 5 years and trust when i say that cash have will FAR EXCEED $2k in profits working somewhere else the next 58 months.

See above post.

I ended up leasing the Tacoma. Did pretty well on it for how popular Taco's are here in AZ sticker 41,108. 3yr lease 12k a year based on gross price of $35,700 residual of $29,500 2k up front. Dealer paying first two payments and got the TRD wheels for free retail aprox $1k There are 2016's being sold for 34-35k so I should have a bit of equity at the end of the lease term especially since I will likely have around 20k miles at the end.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

See above post.

I ended up leasing the Tacoma. Did pretty well on it for how popular Taco's are here in AZ sticker 41,108. 3yr lease 12k a year based on gross price of $35,700 residual of $29,500 2k up front. Dealer paying first two payments and got the TRD wheels for free retail aprox $1k There are 2016's being sold for 34-35k so I should have a bit of equity at the end of the lease term especially since I will likely have around 20k miles at the end.

Ohh yea if you know how to buy a car right like this then do it. I bought a 2000 f-250 powerstroke for $1,500 years ago and had to put about $400 into it over the 3 years (outside of normal maint). Drove it for 3 years, beat the brakes off it then sold it in 1 day for $4,500. There are ways to actually make money on cars its just tricky and you really have to know your market. Tacos are gold in the southwest as are 4x4 powerstrokes here in the cornfields of MI.

See above post.

Ohh yea if you know how to buy a car right like this then do it. I bought a 2000 f-250 powerstroke for $1,500 years ago and had to put about $400 into it over the 3 years (outside of normal maint). Drove it for 3 years, beat the brakes off it then sold it in 1 day for $4,500. There are ways to actually make money on cars its just tricky and you really have to know your market. Tacos are gold in the southwest as are 4x4 powerstrokes here in the cornfields of MI.

Tacomas are gold everywhere. The amount of money they bring at dealer auctions is mind blowing. High, high miles, hail damage, rough condition, it doesn’t matter.