Car died am I nuts for not replacing it?

One_Putt_Blunder

So my car died (mechanical not collision) last weekend on the way to my round of golf. Long story short $2700 to fix the issues on a car that is worth $2500 at most. I also realized in the last 13 months I have only driven 3000 miles and started working 1/2 mile from home about 7 months ago. I knew this day was coming and was just hoping it would make it until next year when the car I want becomes a little more available used and depreciates more, plus by then I'll have enough saved up to pay off 40%-50% up front. I could go out and get a new car right now if I really needed to but there is a few reasons I think I am just going to sell it for scrap and go without a car for the next year

1: Were going to be buying a home in the next few months so taking out a car loan right now is about the dumbest thing I could do financially.

2: It is a 10 minute walk to work and I live in AZ so weather is usually not an issue

3: 6 mile round trip bike ride to the gym.

4: Wife has a car that I can use for grocery shopping and errands when needed occasionally for golf when her work schedule lines up with my tee times.

Golf is really going to be the biggest issue I see especially in winter. I live 1.5 miles from the TPC Champions course which has a reasonable walking rate and I can either ride the bike to the course or take a 6$ Uber. On weekends I want to play further away from home I can rent a car for $25 a day which would be cheaper than Uber in that case.

I figured in addition to not paying for the repairs I would be saving about $60 a month on insurance, $75 for registration next month, ~$400-$500 on new tires this summer, oil changes gas etc. Even if I rent a car 1 day every weekend which would be ~$100 a month I would still be coming out well ahead over the next 12 months vs paying to have it fixed. The money I would get for selling it for scrap would just go into my down payment savings account.

I've never not had a car in the 24 years I have had a license even when I was away at college I had a car. I'm trying to think if I've overlooked anything but cant think of anything. Anyone gone through something similar and regret not having a car or did it work out?

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure sounds like it would be worth trying, no? If it doesn't work out after a month, then it's time to look for a personal vehicle. $500 to $1000 a month sure buys a lot of Uber rides and/or rentals.

I walk/bike 2 miles to work, with the occasional bus/train when the weather is really bad. My SUV sits in the parking garage 5 days a week, and 7 days a week during the winter months. I live in the city, so access to bike sharing, buses, trains, cabs, Uber, and car sharing services is abundant. I've said for years that I wouldn't own a vehicle if I didn't play golf, as I really only use it on the weekends to play out in the suburbs. If I really had to, I'm betting I could do without for a lot cheaper.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

How is a 10 minute walk in blazing heat not an issue?

It's a dry heat. It's 10 minutes. You get used to it.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

How is a 10 minute walk in blazing heat not an issue?

Cooler in the morning at 8 when I go to work, plus I'd prob ride the bike. throw some shorts and tshirt in the backpack and ride/walk home for when it is really hot. If the weather is really bad everyone who works at this office has to drive by my place on the way to or from work so getting a ride is pretty easy if needed.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

So my car died (mechanical not collision) last weekend on the way to my round of golf. Long story short $2700 to fix the issues on a car that is worth $2500 at most. I also realized in the last 13 months I have only driven 3000 miles and started working 1/2 mile from home about 7 months ago. I knew this day was coming and was just hoping it would make it until next year when the car I want becomes a little more available used and depreciates more, plus by then I'll have enough saved up to pay off 40%-50% up front. I could go out and get a new car right now if I really needed to but there is a few reasons I think I am just going to sell it for scrap and go without a car for the next year

1: Were going to be buying a home in the next few months so taking out a car loan right now is about the dumbest thing I could do financially.

2: It is a 10 minute walk to work and I live in AZ so weather is usually not an issue

3: 6 mile round trip bike ride to the gym.

4: Wife has a car that I can use for grocery shopping and errands when needed occasionally for golf when her work schedule lines up with my tee times.

Golf is really going to be the biggest issue I see especially in winter. I live 1.5 miles from the TPC Champions course which has a reasonable walking rate and I can either ride the bike to the course or take a 6$ Uber. On weekends I want to play further away from home I can rent a car for $25 a day which would be cheaper than Uber in that case.

I figured in addition to not paying for the repairs I would be saving about $60 a month on insurance, $75 for registration next month, ~$400-$500 on new tires this summer, oil changes gas etc. Even if I rent a car 1 day every weekend which would be ~$100 a month I would still be coming out well ahead over the next 12 months vs paying to have it fixed. The money I would get for selling it for scrap would just go into my down payment savings account.

If never not had a car in the 24 years I have had a license even when I was away at college I had a car. I'm trying to think if I've overlooked anything but cant think of anything. Anyone gone through something similar and regret not having a car or did it work out?

I had to junk a car for mechanical reasons a few years back as well. Rode my bike to work and everywhere else for about 4 months. The inconvenience of not being able to just hop in and go will get old real quick, at least it did for me.

From an outside perspective, I don't see a whole lot of issues here. You are not really "without" a car, you are just reducing your fleet to one. A 10 minute walk to work seems like it is simply around the block and something most of us would do anyway. I assume you are a bike rider, at least to some extent, so riding it to the gym and back seems like a no brainer. Simply add it to your exercise program.

The golf is a bit of a stickler as you have to get your gear there. You could go minimalist with your gear set up and simply ride your bike to the course. Uber seems like a simple solution.

I have two cars, but for the most part, we live off of one. If you need a car, simply drive your wife to work and pick her up, unless her commute makes that unfeasible.

Why not just try it and see how it goes. You can buy a car nowadays in very short order if it does not work out.

It sure sounds like it would be worth trying, no? If it doesn't work out after a month, then it's time to look for a personal vehicle. $500 to $1000 a month sure buys a lot of Uber rides and/or rentals.

I walk/bike 2 miles to work, with the occasional bus/train when the weather is really bad. My SUV sits in the parking garage 5 days a week, and 7 days a week during the winter months. I live in the city, so access to bike sharing, buses, trains, cabs, Uber, and car sharing services is abundant. I've said for years that I wouldn't own a vehicle if I didn't play golf, as I really only use it on the weekends to play out in the suburbs. If I really had to, I'm betting I could do without for a lot cheaper.

Agree with Argonne. Give it a try you never know. I would give it a shot if work wasn't 50mi round-trip and I didn't live in Colorado.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

From an outside perspective, I don't see a whole lot of issues here. You are not really "without" a car, you are just reducing your fleet to one. A 10 minute walk to work seems like it is simply around the block and something most of us would do anyway. I assume you are a bike rider, at least to some extent, so riding it to the gym and back seems like a no brainer. Simply add it to your exercise program.

This is a big reason why I am doing this. If I was single and living by myself I think I would lean towards getting a new car

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I would actually hold on to your "junk" car for a month and try to live without it. Once you sell it, you can't get it back and new/used cars are ridiculously expensive these days. So if you keep it in your garage for a month, and then decide you want a car, if you go car shopping and don't find anything you like, you still have the old car to repair and use for 6 more months to a year. (sorry for the run on sentence).

Alternatively, your used car could be worth a lot more than you think. Especially if it is actually running. I would definitely take it to the dealer to at least get a quote for it before sending it for scrap.

This is all assuming that the car is in decent shape (less than 200k miles). If you put $2700 into the car just to have something else on it break, then this is all for naught, but since you aren't going to be putting many miles on it, it is probably worth it to fix it before buying a new/used car.

RBZ Stage 2 Tour Driver Adjusted to 10.5*
RBZ Stage 2, 3 tour Hybrid Adjusted to 17*
Titleist CB712 3-PW
Titleist Vokey 56* wedge
Nike Method Core 4 Putter

I would actually hold on to your "junk" car for a month and try to live without it. Once you sell it, you can't get it back and new/used cars are ridiculously expensive these days. So if you keep it in your garage for a month, and then decide you want a car, if you go car shopping and don't find anything you like, you still have the old car to repair and use for 6 more months to a year. (sorry for the run on sentence).

Alternatively, your used car could be worth a lot more than you think. Especially if it is actually running. I would definitely take it to the dealer to at least get a quote for it before sending it for scrap.

This is all assuming that the car is in decent shape (less than 200k miles). If you put $2700 into the car just to have something else on it break, then this is all for naught, but since you aren't going to be putting many miles on it, it is probably worth it to fix it before buying a new/used car.

Good point about selling it Ill look around at other options besides selling to the salvage place. I was looking at the donation benefits but found out the tax benefit is not as big as described. I cant really see it getting to the point of me dropping the $2700 to get it running in good order again. I could rent a car for the entire weekend every single weekend for that cost and not have to deal with any other maintenance.

It will start and run no check engine light. Main problem is the catalytic converter bank is plugged and needs replacement which is the most expensive part. Valve cover gaskets are leaking which fouled the plugs and coils which in turn turned the cat's into a plugged up mess. Body is clean and dent free, interior is in good shape for age and mileage. Other maintenance issues will be coming up to add to the total cost. Tires and struts would need to be replaced by summer time. One of the biggest factors for me is I was planning on getting a new ride next year already so I'm at the point where I would rather save that $2700-$3700 to put towards my down payment fund. My next car will be more of a toy since I drive so little and kids are not in our future.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Good point about selling it Ill look around at other options besides selling to the salvage place. I was looking at the donation benefits but found out the tax benefit is not as big as described. I cant really see it getting to the point of me dropping the $2700 to get it running in good order again. I could rent a car for the entire weekend every single weekend for that cost and not have to deal with any other maintenance.

It will start and run no check engine light. Main problem is the catalytic converter bank is plugged and needs replacement which is the most expensive part. Valve cover gaskets are leaking which fouled the plugs and coils which in turn turned the cat's into a plugged up mess. Body is clean and dent free, interior is in good shape for age and mileage. Other maintenance issues will be coming up to add to the total cost. Tires and struts would need to be replaced by summer time. One of the biggest factors for me is I was planning on getting a new ride next year already so I'm at the point where I would rather save that $2700-$3700 to put towards my down payment fund. My next car will be more of a toy since I drive so little and kids are not in our future.

I would check junkyards for parts. Also, YouTube is great for learning to make basic auto repairs.

I would check junkyards for parts. Also, YouTube is great for learning to make basic auto repairs.

I appreciate that, but the cat system in my car starts in the exhaust manifold, it is way more labor intensive than I have the tools and time to handle. It is also one of those situations where I do not have the option to start with the biggest issue and fix them over time. It is all one big connected issue. In all honesty even if I could do it myself the cost of parts alone would still be over my justifiable limit to spend on repairs. I was thinking anything under $1000 would be worth getting fixed. Parts alone I am north of $1500. Ignition coil problems were a known issue in that car so going junkyard is not really worth it because would be likely to encounter same issues.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

It's not like cars won't be available at any time you want one (though you might have to ummm, you know, buy american cough, cough NAFTA, cough cough). LOL I kid

But seriously, cars will ALWAYS be available should you need one and there will always be deals. So just try without one and see how it goes. If you decide you need one, go buy one!

It's not like the dealer is going to be all like "Hey you're the guy who thought he didn't need a car....i ain't selling you nothing buddy!"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

What kinda car?

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

What kinda car?

05 Mazda 6s

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I appreciate that, but the cat system in my car starts in the exhaust manifold, it is way more labor intensive than I have the tools and time to handle. It is also one of those situations where I do not have the option to start with the biggest issue and fix them over time. It is all one big connected issue. In all honesty even if I could do it myself the cost of parts alone would still be over my justifiable limit to spend on repairs. I was thinking anything under $1000 would be worth getting fixed. Parts alone I am north of $1500. Ignition coil problems were a known issue in that car so going junkyard is not really worth it because would be likely to encounter same issues.

The more I think about it, it may not be a bad idea to just suck it up and fix it... I mean if you are truly are buying a new car in a couple months then yeah it doesn't really make sense... but $2500 is only 6 months of a $400 car payment... I know you said you were trying to put a lot down on a car so maybe your car payment is say $200 a month.. that's a year...

Now the reason why it may be worth fixing is because you will probably recoup a solid portion of that money when you go to trade or sell it. Right now, a dead car is only worth parts (a couple thousand dollars). If you fix it and get it working again, what would you be able to trade it for? Or was the $2700 figure you mentioned earlier the value of it running? I'd find it hard to believe you'd get less than $4000 or so for a fully functioning 12 year old Mazda... that $2500 to fix it may only be say $800-$1000 at the end of the day.. and who knows, it could be less.

I faced a similar question with an Audi... it needed $3000... I ended up dumping the car and buying a new car... just 6 months earlier than I was going to. The cost wasn't worth it because if I drove it 6 more months I would break the 100k threshold and the value on the car would drop another $2000... so we reached a deal where I essentially took a $1500 hit on the trade but didn't have it repaired so they had to fix it to sell it, but I traded it before it hit 100k

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Just searched eBay. Type in 2005 Mazda 6s cat. They have the manifold with cat for about $245. There is also a full exhaust, manifold back (used) for $160. Hope that helps.

Thanks but even if I source the parts out cheaper a quick ebay/web search would roughly be $700-$800+ all in for both front manifold banks, gaskets, ignition coils, plugs, water pump. That still brings in labor as I simply do not have the tools needed to get in there to do all the work I would still be well north of what I am willing to spend for a running car. For what I would have to spend I could rent a car 4 days a month (weekends) and still come out a head for the next year which I would not need that frequently. On top of that I would not have to pay insurance on it, registration next month, or any other mechanical issues that arise.

Plus I may have found someone who may take it off my hands. Ironically the guy who does some work on my wife's suv dropped her car off from getting oil change and fixing an oil leak was there when the tow truck dropped off my car. He looked it over and his 16 yr old son is interested in picking it up as a project. At the price we are talking about I can walk away happily and would recoup the value of the car less the parts needed to get it back running. Even if he were to hook me up and charge me say $500-$600 in labor fixing the car would still be about $1400

The more I think about it the more and more comfortable I am going without. This week is about as cold as we will get in the AM mid 30's and the brisk walk to work is better than any alarm clock to wake me up lol. Thankfully even though Scottsdale public transit is pretty much non existent and things are spread out I am lucky to have 3 breakfast joints a grocery store a convenient store a pharmacy and a 3 restaurants/bars within a 1 mile walk. Having a affordable winter golf option within 2 miles and once summer rates hit Grayhawk(where I take lessons) is a very cheap Uber away. This is a big factor and would really limit my need for a rental to 1-2 days a month.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Since your wife has a good vehicle, you might want to consider getting rid of your car and getting some sort of vintage car. Insurance is cheap, plates are lifetime, and no emission or state inspections. There are a lot of over 25 year old cars out there, cheap and in very good condition, that will get you around when needed. I'm not talking about Jay Leno's type of cars, like Dueseys and Packards, but cars that you see on Ebay and Craigslist for a few thousand. Most old cars are relatively easy to work on, shade tree mechanics can repair them easily.

I own a very nice 85 Lebaron convertible, little old lady owned, bought for less than $4K five years ago. Perfect for someone who doesn't need a car for commuting to work. A little slow, but an infinitely fun car for errands and golf. I laugh when I see guys driving $100K roadsters.

Just a thought on a January morning.

how many miles on this car? whats the compression in all the cylinders? considering the body should be fine as you dont live in a snow area (road salt is a killer) those engines can last forever. Sure the exhaust is expensive but if the miles warrant it and its running fine, I cant see what its even a question. You could easily fix it and have it go another year or so. that's a lot of car payments it saves you. You coudl easily do the coil, valve cover gasket and plugs your self with simple tools. search kijiji for tires and struts if really needed. You could easily get a few years out of it.

Yikes!!!! No car in Arizona.

How about getting a cheap, used Scooter. Easier than a bike to get where you're going.

A word of advice. Don't ride your scooter to Cave Creek during bike week. The Harley's might get upset. :swoon:

maxresdefault.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I'd get a second opinion, and explain the situation.

Possibly nurse it together, and buy you some time.

Plugs, and a coil pack, and some stop leak would easily buy you 6 months or a year.

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60