2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Who Will Be IU's New Men's BB Coach?

Hybrid

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No chance it's Stevens. As much as IU fans would like to think it is, that job is not as big as an NBA job. Especially the Celtics gig.

As an Ohio State fan, I would love to see Alford at IU. I think it's a bad hire. UCLA was about to fire Alford last year. Ball shows up and suddenly Alford is a genius again. IU has passed on Alford in the past and if they are smart, they will pass on him again.

As a Buckeye fan, the hire which scares me (and is the one I ultimately think will happen) is Gregg Marshall. Gregg Marshall with Indiana recruits... watch out.

Now I am just hoping the Buckeyes wise up, thank Thad for his years of service, and move on. Give me some Chris Mack!

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

In all seriousness though I'm a Illinois fan living in Indiana and they're in the same predicament, fertile recruiting ground right in your backyard and can't recruit. Duke and Kentucky get all the top recruits and it's kill IU and Illinois. They need an outside the box coach kind of like how Illinois wanted Monty Williams initially or they need to stick with a guy for awhile and let him build a program. Painter was almost fired and he is doing fine imo IU and U of I should stick with Crean and Groce.

Glad State pulled the trigger on Keatts! With Archie turning down the job at state our search could have been ugly like it was when we ended up with gottfried. A lot of people on the NC State message boards are saying Indiana isn't a good big program but I think different. I still can't believe they fired a guy who won 25 or so games last year?

No chance it's Stevens. As much as IU fans would like to think it is, that job is not as big as an NBA job. Especially the Celtics gig.

As an Ohio State fan, I would love to see Alford at IU. I think it's a bad hire. UCLA was about to fire Alford last year. Ball shows up and suddenly Alford is a genius again. IU has passed on Alford in the past and if they are smart, they will pass on him again.

As a Buckeye fan, the hire which scares me (and is the one I ultimately think will happen) is Gregg Marshall. Gregg Marshall with Indiana recruits... watch out.

Now I am just hoping the Buckeyes wise up, thank Thad for his years of service, and move on. Give me some Chris Mack!

Be ready for Archie Miller. He will be the coach after next season at Ohio state.

Be ready for Archie Miller. He will be the coach after next season at Ohio state.

I would be thrilled with that hire as well. Chris Mack or Archie Miller and I'm happy.

I would be thrilled with that hire as well. Chris Mack or Archie Miller and I'm happy.

So happy to see Crean gone with all his sideline antics, including stepping onto the court during games. I so wanted to see him get run over by a fast break.

In any case (threadjack), what happened to Thad? Seemed like he walked on water for a number of years, but now it looks like he's lost his mojo. Is that pretty much it?

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

And who made The General look like a genius in '76, '81 and '87? When you look at the '76 roster it is clear-it's all about the players holding the coach's paycheck in their jock straps. IU fans have good memories and whoever the coach is, IU fans remember Knight's legacy. I say someone with Indiana roots:Alford, Drew or Holtmann. Mack would be great as well.

Anyone want to steal Kevin Stallings away from Pitt? Now there is a cluster f**k. New Chancellor, new AD, Dixon hits rough spot - yeah in the dance 3-5 years - 64% winning - real rough - then they waive the buyout basically confirming that he was not fired but not wanted - AD hires Stallings from search firm that has ties to AD and Stallings - Stallings was going to be canned at Vandy so he gets a 6 years golden parachute - AD leaves for Oregon State - Stallings takes a team that won 21/22 games lost a a close one to Whisky in the 3rd round with 6 of top 7 scorers returning and drives it into the ground at 16-17 - with just some horrendous loses - most notable a 60 point lose to the Ville at home after Stallings calls out virtually the entire team in a press interview a day before the game - he names names - loses team. Dixon takes a TCU team that has won on average 2 conference games the last 5 year to 6 conferences win - upset of Kansas - NIT bid where they are a game away from being in the final 4. Vandy makes the dance with Bryce Drew. Idiot fans blame Dixon. Yeah and the AD thought cause Sean Miller was a Pitt grad he would leave Zona - forgot that the Miller family has bad blood from when Sean was an assistant at Pitt back in the 90s - and yeah Calipari was on staff too but they weren't about to hire him. ......

Been happening ever since the Pitt admin refused to pay Jackie Sherrill and he went to Texas A&M after three straight 11-1 seasons with guys like Marino, Jackson, Green, May, Fralic, Covert, .... list goes on. Howland/Dixon was the best decision the PItt Admin has ever made in the since Majors/Sherrill. You do not want Pitt searching for a new head coach. Just waiting to see how they screw up the Narduzzi hire. Hard to be an optimistic PItt fan but ....at least I was in the stands from during Majors and most of Sherrill (and for Hart and Depasqua tragedy before them).

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

On topic, I was surprised IU hired Cryin' Crean in the first place - guess a little Dwayne Wade goes a long ways. OSU was be foolish to dump Matta cause of a rough patch - most all coaches go through one - Huggy Bear at WVU is a good example of not jumping ship too early. Always a roll of the dice - remember when Smart was the hot commodity out of VCU? VCU still rolling and where is Texas?

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I've always thought Crean was a good coach but I've only watched one or two Indiana games a year.

And Sean Miller is supposedly the next coach at Carolina and that's why Archie didn't come.

Archie didn't come because he was a big herb sendek fan and NC State did him wrong and he holds that against us

Neither Miller brother is going to their homeland. Which I can see Sean not going to Pitt but Archie turning down State has been a hard one for me to swallow past week

I've always thought Crean was a good coach but I've only watched one or two Indiana games a year.

And Sean Miller is supposedly the next coach at Carolina and that's why Archie didn't come.

Archie didn't come because he was a big herb sendek fan and NC State did him wrong and he holds that against us

Neither Miller brother is going to their homeland. Which I can see Sean not going to Pitt but Archie turning down State has been a hard one for me to swallow past week

The Millers hold grudges. Back in the day, Sean was an assistant with Willard and Archie was to go play at Pitt. Sendek went to NC State and Miller went with him and so did Archie. Willard was not happy about Sean leaving and even more so when Archie went to NC state instead of Pitt. Bad blood on both sides as it went down.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

I'm not sure why people think he would go to Pitt from Arizona. Pitt a few years ago was a good good job. Then they came to the ACC and it's went down hill after doing very well early. Arizona is one the top 3-5 West Coast programs with not a ton of competition. Hopefully he will take the Carolina job and they hammer them about all their cheating scandals over the years.

So happy to see Crean gone with all his sideline antics, including stepping onto the court during games. I so wanted to see him get run over by a fast break.

In any case (threadjack), what happened to Thad? Seemed like he walked on water for a number of years, but now it looks like he's lost his mojo. Is that pretty much it?

I think the knock on Thad has been he doesn't develop his players. He never has. If you look at the year by year progressions of his players that stay more than a year, you really don't see any progression. In many cases, guys seemingly get worse (Marc Loving is a perfect example). Early on in Thad's tenure he could take undertalented kids, motivate them, and have them playing like 5 star recruits. Then he started getting the home runs in recruiting (Oden, Cook, Conley, Evan Turner, Sullenger, Russell, to name a few). His last handful of classes have totally flopped and he's not really coaching them like he once did. Health issues, maybe lack of interest, lack of a clear direction, etc. have led to a program was has plateaued and is moving in the wrong direction. There are a couple of good recruits coming in next year, but, I am not holding breath. Basketball in Columbus is bad right now.

Archie didn't come back because he wants the OSU job and knows the position will be open within 14 months. I'm not sure NC State is much better of a gig than Dayton at this point. The only thing it really has working for it is it's in the ACC.

On topic, I was surprised IU hired Cryin' Crean in the first place - guess a little Dwayne Wade goes a long ways. OSU was be foolish to dump Matta cause of a rough patch - most all coaches go through one - Huggy Bear at WVU is a good example of not jumping ship too early. Always a roll of the dice - remember when Smart was the hot commodity out of VCU? VCU still rolling and where is Texas?

Sometimes coaches need a change of scenery though. I agree, I think Thad is a great coach. I'm also not sure hiring Archie or Mack or whomever is a better move. But this program has clearly plateaued. It is what it is at this point. Thad has become lazy. The players are lazy. The whole program is lazy.

I think Huggy Bear was in a similar boat (although he had a ton of baggage). But a change of scenery re-motivated him. I think tOSU and Thad need to part ways to reenergize all parties.

Sometimes coaches need a change of scenery though. I agree, I think Thad is a great coach. I'm also not sure hiring Archie or Mack or whomever is a better move. But this program has clearly plateaued. It is what it is at this point. Thad has become lazy. The players are lazy. The

I think Huggy Bear was in a similar boat (although he had a ton of baggage). But a change of scenery re-motivated him. I think tOSU and Thad need to part ways to reenergize all parties.

Huggy had a rough patch at WVU where for 3 years from 2012-2014 his record was 49-49 with 19-14, 13-19,17-16 - no change of scenery but he changed his style of play to what is now PressVirginia - won 25,28,28 and made 2 S16s with losing a close one this year for the E8. Now what helps is that he is a WVU legend in basketball (800+ wins with a 70% win % - a national champ would clearly seal the deal) and most likely a future HOFer - they aren't about ready to give him the boot.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

I've always thought Crean was a good coach but I've only watched one or two Indiana games a year. And Sean Miller is supposedly the next coach at Carolina and that's why Archie didn't come. Archie didn't come because he was a big herb sendek fan and NC State did him wrong and he holds that against us Neither Miller brother is going to their homeland. Which I can see Sean not going to Pitt but Archie turning down State has been a hard one for me to swallow past week

Archie didn't go to NC St because it's not a destination job, didn't think twice about taking it. He wasn't leaving UD to play middle of the pack in the ACC. There were basically two jobs he was going to leave for - the one he took or OSU. It's a tremendous tremendous hire for IU.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

He will be fired at Indiana after 4 years unless he goes deep in the tourney next year. College basketball is a joke when it comes to coaching changes. Take over a program that wasn't good and don't win in 3 years, you're out on the 4th. Sidney Lowe took over a bad program didn't get much better but had a couple good recruiting classes and then got fired. Gottfried came in with lowes recruits and had a couple good years until his recruits didn't pan out. I usually hate firing coaches but gottfried had to go. More off the court isssues than there was on with him