2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The "Belly Putter" and why I am glad Garcia (his putter rather) Lost the OPEN

BEND OF THE RIVER GC

wow, lots of guys with a chip on there shoulder over a putter.

I putt equally well with and without a belly putter, the advantages of a belly putter is they let you release your putter thru impact better. they also are more difficult to use in the sense that set up must be absolutly perfect everytime, ball position is critical.

for those that scream about tradition, put away your titanium and grab some persimmons

for those that claim weaker putters use them, how do you know that? speculation perhaps

so if a guy on a mini tour uses one and he is a better player than yourself, what does that say about your putting.

pretty silly really, guys obviously get worked up over it because they see an advantage, if they didnt see one then they wouldnt care. this game is hard enough, might as well take all the advantage you can get. if your sticking with a short putter and struggling and wont change due to a stigma, then your the one with issues.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is no matter what kind of putter that you choose to use , you still have to get the ball in the hole , and to those who complain a belly or long putter they are still USGA legal the last time i checked , and i wonder how many who are struggling with putting would switch to improve their own game vs. having 35 plus plus rounds or close :drinks:

I am not against 460 cc drivers (I use a 395 cc one though) and NO I do not even own a persimmon wood, but I do yearn to hear the distinct "CRAAAAAAAAAAAACK" of one off the tee!

Just simply not a fan of LONG PUTTERS, plain and simple.

What would have been funny is if Rodney Dangerfield had pulled a long putter out of his monstrosity of a golf bag!

One cannot also wonder if Steve Stricker (I was pulling for him) will now go to the belly putter since he missed so many close birdie putts....I don't think so.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Well, everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes.

Personally, I am not a fan of the belly putter. I have putted with a couple and just hated the way it felt and the way I putted with one. Am I opposed to anyone using one? No. There isn't any reason to be. Things have evolved so much in this game that each year clubs get more advanced.

Whatever works for someone is fine, as long as it fits in the rules it is ok with me.

Sorry, just kidding about persimmon (but I still have one PING persimmon 3 woods just for show). ^_^ Now, here my though... I think a putter is the ONLY the golf club that depend on "FEELING" more than anything else, then if the players feel good with belly putter and its allowed to use on tour, it would be o.k. with every players could find the "RIGHT" putter for their "RIGHT" putting stroke. That's all. ^_^ And I don't like belly putter too... its look so trouble, never see cool belly putter at all.

I'm add my vote to the ban the sucka's, if you can't stoke it with the traditional putter style and length, then hit the darn shufleboard courts. Sorry Sergio...I was pulling for you even though the Tall Taylor Made Broomstick!

You still climbed the ladder well. Maybe a major shutout for the world's Number 1 player?

Loved the countless camera shots on the bull logo on his Taylor Made balls too!

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

I agree that for some, they make a poor putter better. I also agree that they aren't

"Traditional" in either the method by which they are used, or appearance. But come on guys!

Using that argument, so are our Drivers (460 cc's, 46 inch Graphite/composit shafts, Titanium Heads). These things are now stupid-easy to hit and are nowhere near the spirit of the Hickory-shafted, Pear shaped 180cc "traditional" Persimmon-headed Drivers of the past..... And they have affected the game much more than some poor guy with the yips using a long

or belly putter.

I just find it amusing that there's not one person who is calling for them to be banned

who doesn't admit to using one of these 21st-Century Bazookas........

I agree that for some, they make a poor putter better. I also agree that they aren't

"Traditional" in either the method by which they are used, or appearance. But come on guys!

Using that argument, so are our Drivers (460 cc's, 46 inch Graphite/composit shafts, Titanium Heads). These things are now stupid-easy to hit and are nowhere near the spirit of the Hickory-shafted, Pear shaped 180cc "traditional" Persimmon-headed Drivers of the past..... And they have affected the game much more than some poor guy with the yips using a long

or belly putter.

I just find it amusing that there's not one person who is calling for them to be banned

But theses big 460cc drivers are not "anchored" to your body and that is the argument.

Apples and oranges, IMHO. The act of anchoring a putter against your body negates one of the great (and most subtle) challenges of the game. After covering hundred of yards with powerful, fast swings a player must calm his nerves & execute a very delicate fine motor exercise to coax the ball those final few feet home.

I'm with the big easy on this one...

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't see it as

Apples and Oranges. If you want to "protect the integrity of the game" I understand

that argument. But then if we're going to do it, lets address EVERYTHING......

Q: Why did the USGA ban croquet style putting?

Ans: Because it was deemed too untraditional and too advantageous

Should we allow that to come back?

I don't see much difference between croquet style and anchoring the club to the body from a logic perspective in terms of the justification for banning them.

As someone who actually has used a belly putter in the past I can tell you with 100% certainty that it doesn't stop you from making a bad stroke. It is more of a confidence thing than anything else. I always end up going back to my shorty after I play around with the mid for a while. It just seems to get my head in the right place.

I don't want to go all Bob Rotella on anyone, but if you think you will putt better you will putt better. Sergio needs to think he can putt better.

Obviously the R&A and USGA seem to differ as it is legal, at least for now.

So it seems as if the people the govern the game think it is ok. So if they think it is ok, then game on. They think that 460 CC's of fun are ok for fairway machines, then belly and long putters should be ok too.

IF you want to pick on a putter, then you should pick on the drivers, grooves, putter inserts for roll performance, etc....where do you stop????

Technology is a force to be dealt with, not sure where they should draw the line, but as a person that used a belly putter, a long putter, and a standard putter. It is much easier to hit a 300 yard split fairway jobber with one of those square ashtray drivers, then it is to hit a 10-12 footer in the schmiddle with a belly putter. IMO

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Funny this bitching about belly putter. Over and over again.

Belly putter don't give that much of an advantage IMHO. You loose some distance control (feel) when you anchor the shaft to your belly. Also the stroke with belly putter is very arched and your setup must be perfect to hit the ball straight.

I say it's more confidence thing than anything. (for example Vijay swithcing back and forth with belly and normal)

...I just find it amusing that there's not one person who is calling for them to be banned

who doesn't admit to using one of these 21st-Century Bazookas...

Count me as one who hasn't used an oversized putter & thinks they should be ruled non-conforming. :drinks:

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't see it as

Apples and Oranges. If you want to "protect the integrity of the game" I understand

that argument. But then if we're going to do it, lets address EVERYTHING......

Well said, and I agree completely. I alwasy enjoy your posts here, and don't mean to give you a hard time.

Just to clarify, I don't hold anything against someone who uses a long putter, as they are simply playing equipment in accordance with the rules. That said, it's my belief that governing bodies have been much too lax in regulating equipment over the past 20 years, including balls, clubs & yes putters.

...I just find it amusing that there's not one person who is calling for them to be banned

who doesn't admit to using one of these 21st-Century Bazookas...

Count me as one who hasn't used an oversized putter & thinks they should be ruled non-conforming. :drinks:

Well that cat's not being put back in the bag. Any chance of that was smashed when the R&A first ruled the Futura non-traditional looking, but then reversed their decision.

I'm opposed to the "traditional in shape" rule. Who cares what clubs look like? And it's not like it's enforced anyway. There is only so much you can do with a blade/anser style putter.

I can see both sides of the belly/long putter debate. But it all comes down to an increase in stability at the expense of feel/distance control. So in effect it's a compromise. Maybe that's why they haven't been ruled non-conforming.

or belly putter.

Well, I do use an oversized driver (sort of by today's standards, 400cc), cavity backed irons and the modern ball, but I think that a stroke made with the putter anchored anywhere but in the hands (like the belly, chest, left armpit) and the putters designed for such a stroke should be ruled non-conforming.

I don't find it inconsistent to utilize the lastest technology vs. something that changes the fundamental nature of the swing.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

No one has ever won a Major with a belly putter. I really thought that Garcia would be the first to pull it off. I am glad he didn't as I am not really a fan of using the long putter, they are too "untraditional"....

Whereas cavity back irons, graphite shafts, hybrids and 460cc titanium drivers have always been around?

It's only a matter of time. It seemed like a hell of a lot of players were using a belly or long putter this week.

This isn't the same thing.

A belly putter or long putter takes a lot of the nervousness involved in a putting stroke out of the equation, because you anchor it against your body.

You can't do that with any other club. It's not a technological advancement, just a technique used by people who can't putt well otherwise.

I completely agree. You can't put cavity back irons, etc..... in the same category as belly/long putters. I am in the group that thinks belly putters and long putters should be made illegal.

A 460cc driver will increase distance but it will not turn a bad driver of the golf ball into a good one.

if you ban belly putters (et al.), what happens to all the professional tournament wins/winners who used one to win? do you put an asterisk next to his/her name saying they didn't win on the same level as those who didn't use a belly putter (et al.)?

personally, i don't like belly putters (more from an aesthetic standpoint) but don't think they should be banned. the only argument with any merit is if it's a matter of anchoring a club to a third point of the body but as others have already stated, if it was so advantageous, why aren't all the belly putters (et al.) the best putters on the various tours? IMHO, Vijay is a worse putter with the belly putter than when he uses a traditional length one.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

I'm viewing this argument the same way I view Pyramid and/or Get Rich Quick schemes. If they're so easy, why isn't everyone doing it??

If selling Amway is the easy way to a 6 figure income, why isn't everyone selling Amway? If using a belly putter to anchor the putter makes it that much easier, why isn't everyone putting that way? I've toyed with a long putter, and I'll admit it was a little easier than I thought it would be, but by no means was it helping me drain putts from all over the map.

Different people are able to achieve great results through different ways. If those means fall withing the rules, what is so wrong with that? Even though he obviously gassed the British Open, Sergio was putting noticeably better overall with the belly putter than he was with any other average-length flatstick for the first 3 rounds. If you give a belly putter to Tiger Woods...maybe he absolutely sucks with it? Maybe he putts better? Who knows.

I think that if you ban belly putters, then you should ban the claw grips, switch-hand grips, etc etc... The moment you take away innovation, it should ALL be taken away

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

"The belly putter provides a third anchor point to the body, and should in no way be legal. You should be required to hold a putter in your hands only."

Well said "Rollingrock"

I am firmly of the above belief, always have been, being able to control your nerves on short fast breaking putts is a huge part of this game we all love and if a self confessed twitchy putter like Tom Watson will not go near one because he believes it is contrary to the spirit of the game then that is good enough for me.

I am tight with a Japanese Tour player who played on the USPGA Tour last year who uses a long putter and he would be the first to say that they should be illegal but it allows him to compete whilst it is still legal, he also says that the long putters and belly putters have their own negatives as well such as in windy days and very long putts, but we all know it is the short putts that pay.....

It is not about tradition, it is about the protecting our game and identifying the very best IMHO.

No one has ever won a Major with a belly putter. I really thought that Garcia would be the first to pull it off. I am glad he didn't as I am not really a fan of using the long putter, they are too "untraditional"....

I guess you are not a fan of Boo Weekly's camo undershirt and Ian Poulter pants and Bubba Watson's pink shaft either. What about the commercial when Jack Nicklaus was hitting a drive with shorts on? I suppose that's untradtional too? The year is 2007, in case you have not look at a calendar lately.

Im all for change in golf but Boo Weekly looked like a complete idiot with the hunting sleeves. Belly putters are fine and all, 460 square drivers, check, but please dont try to look like the biggest hick tool on the planet. The worst part was I was at my uncles house in Florida, and all the local rednecks thought it was the greatest thing.

I guess this is how politics work though too. If you can't beat it, complain about it untill jackass makes a law about it.

Just a question....If the belly putter was the end all be all of putting, don't you think that more than 5 percent of the fields in professional golf would be doing it???? Just an observation.....I mean if like 1 in 25 are using it and winning occasionally, who really cares??? I look at it like if everyone was doing it, and causing the game to be to simple, then lets ban it, but since not everyone is doing it, and only a few benefit from it, not that big of a deal.

By the way if anyone has used a Belly or Long putter, distance control is a b****, but shorties are quite routine, so there is some give and take. Usually the people that are using the bellies or longies are super good strikers of the ball, that stink at putting....that is my observation anyhow....

Now juice is a whole other issue...

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H