2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Newbie cack hander diaries

Hello all, new to the forum and looking forward to taking up golf after a 10 year absence. Played 9 handicap back then, and just opened a parcel with my old clubs posted to me. I had a few irons short on a fitted set of Dynacraft Copperheads and decided to start assembling a new set just to get the old swing going again.

Driver- Z Model foamless 10.5 with Aldila 4.0 don't laugh, for some reason this wannebie worked wonders with the old Topflite Aero and my cross grip.

3 Wood- Titleist Pro Trajectory 13.5 with S300, forced me to swing slow and bailed me out often.

Putter- Yes Golf Tracy putter, Retief Goosen winning the US Open got me on to this and I never changed it... awesome putter

Dynacraft wedges- lob and sand, won't part with them

So, got some Ben Hogan FTX's 4, 6-E for $44 and will start looking for 3,5 irons. Hit them as a student but could never afford them back then when they came out.

I'm considering a combo set with long irons similar to the FTX but with less off set... closer to blade spec (if such exists). I'm speculating that the Edge and Edge Pro have similar to greater off set than the FTX ... what about the Apex Plus? Anyone know if the long irons have less off set than the FTX? Any top line pics at set up to compare long irons would be appreciated! Can't seem to find definitive answers on the web anywhere.

Hope to tap into a great bunch of guys an girls who love the game

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say I have met with nothing but disappointment in my forays into the world of 'modern' Hogan clubs.

I have FTX 3-E and today have just taken delivery of a set of the original Edge forged irons 3-E.

While I love the short irons in the FTX set the rest are as the great man once said 'just playable',maybe just me but I have grown to dislike these mixed sets of cavities and blades,they don't seem to blend seamlessly which older sets do.

On opening the box I could see why Hogan is said to have hated the Edge,the amount of offset is horrible when the eye has become accustomed to Apex II's,which as a lefty is about the only Hogan blade I've been able to find and enjoy.

A shame that when they made the FTX they didn't go with the blade-on-blade design right through the set,could have been a classic.

I'm quite fond of my Apex Plus irons. They probably wouldn't suit a blade purist; too much offset, too thick a top line, but man do they play well!

By comparison, they have the same amount of offset as my Golden Ram Axial Tour Grind blades and about the same amount of blade length.

FWIW the Apex Plus and the Apex Edge Pro are basically the same head just two years apart in release.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks scomac, that helps aplenty, so which one of the post 1998 apex range has less off set in the long irons? Still want the clubs to sorta look like a set. I read somewhere that the apex Edge has less off set than the Edge Pro? Which is strange to me because the branding 'pro' tells me it's targeted at a better players.

Thanks scomac, that helps aplenty, so which one of the post 1998 apex range has less off set in the long irons? Still want the clubs to sorta look like a set. I read somewhere that the apex Edge has less off set than the Edge Pro? Which is strange to me because the branding 'pro' tells me it's targeted at a better players.

I'm a relative newcomer to playing the Hogan brand. There are others on here that will have the information you're looking for; teevons and HAB come to mind. What I can tell you is that the Apex + has a similar amount of offset to the original Edge irons from 1990. Of the early 2000 releases I would think that the Apex Edge Pro/Apex Edge/Apex Edge Plus would be the progression from less offset/sole width to more.

Fellaheen51 who posts in this section periodically has built a progressive set of irons using 98 Apex + from 4-6 and then switching to the 99 Apex for 7-E. A minor amount of bending was required to get the lofts to gap properly, but by all accounts this set-up is working well for him. He will be able to add to this discussion when he stops by.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I played the 'evens' as a half set today,4,6,8,E in the Edge irons,they take some getting used to visually because of size and thick topline but I hit some good shots with the 8 iron,some reasonable with the 6,okay with the Equalizer,4 iron unplayable.

There is so much offset that I am clueless as to how to play the ball,I somehow cannot see where the clubface is pointing LOL

Strangely the 4-iron in the Apex II I hit sweetly.

Ah well,seemed like a good idea at the time.....

Thanks for the input guys, seems like this family of long irons all have the same off set. So far I found the following on a 3 iron comparison:

CFT/Plus/Edge: .242 off set (as stated)

Apex blade: .120 off set

Agree .. my FTX 4 iron topline is so way out, it really dings the confidence.Hopefully we will have a few experts comment

Thanks for the input guys, seems like this family of long irons all have the same off set. So far I found the following on a 3 iron comparison:

CFT/Plus/Edge: .242 off set (as stated)

Apex blade: .120 off set

Agree .. my FTX 4 iron topline is so way out, it really dings the confidence.Hopefully we will have a few experts comment

How am I the only one asking what in the everloving hell is this thread title about?

Never a dull moment when Thrillhouse is in the house!!!! BTW I was thinking the same thing myself.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I just assumed you purposefully cross-handed the post by switching subjects. It's what y'all cack handers do. Lol.

It's an interesting tenure that Callaway had with Hogan. I'm not entirely sure they made much progress with the brand besides just taking the Apex name (and others) for themselves.

But on the Ftx, I feel they deserve a bit of tampering. If I owned a set, I would change the lofts, along with an attempt to remove offset. I would maybe even take a grind to the leading edges. I think they have potential, but they would not be my go to set.

Do not have the specific specs for offset in the various Hogan's referenced. General observations:

FTX - A combination set. CB 3 - 7, MB 8 - E. IMHO, not "real" Hogans and are dismissed. A Cally thing. Choose to play irons with a direct lineage to the Hogan company. YMMV.

Apex Edge & Apex Edge Pro - Both enhanced perimeter weighting compared to the A+. Chronologically, the AEP replacing the AE in the Hogan line. Ostensibly the same with a couple of notable differences. Pro's are reputed to be a slightly smaller head. Marginally smaller top line and sole, though I doubt one could tell the difference without measuring. The major difference is the Pro's have a solid back muscle compared to the AE. Would expect a better ball striking feel with the solid mass directly behind the ball. Would be leery of the AE open cavity on the back. An area for rust to form and difficult to keep clean and dry.

Apex Plus - The CB version of the the '99 Apex MB. Identical length and top line. Stronger lofts. More offset. Blends well with a DIY combo set. Although one needs to have some bending done to transition between the 6 iron and 7 iron. A 5.5* gap between the two, bent the A+ 1.5* weak to keep a consistent 4* gap in lofts. Not a concern if one is going full A+. The additional offset is not problematic for me. Probably helpful in the longer irons (only play down to a 5 iron). Of a greater asthetical appeal is a less "chunky" looking club head. One that blends with the Apex Mb's used 7 iron and up. Wouldn't recommend trying to "bend out" the offset in any of these clubs. Unintended consequences will result.

A pic of two 6 irons, a Apex MB on the left and the A+ on the right showing the difference in offset. If you what to play minimal offset, you'll need to buck up and get yourself a set of 1999 Hogan Apex blades. Marvelous irons. "Yes you can" with suitable shafts.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Just what I needed ... thanks Fellaheen, that settles it, The Apex blade is what I need for my 3/4 maybe 5 Iron, the 5 in an FTX would be acceptable me thinks, thanks for those pics posted.If there was a long iron in this family of clubs post 1999 with offset less than .242" in 4 iron, I would have gone with them ... but the next one down seems to be the '99 Apex blades you have at .120" offset in 4 iron.