2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Scotty Cameron to Ping

Tingting

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i highly doubt it considering how successful he is with titleist!!

He would be with anyone...or on his own. He is established.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

A goog friend of mine from Ping has said that Scotty Cameron is in the process of leaving titleist and will be joining ping. Has anyone else heard this rumor? Would make sense since most of his work is a copy from ping

Categorically, not true. Neither PING nor Titleist would ever allow such a move (for different reasons.) PING because of the close family ties to Karsten Solheim and their belief that Scotty has stolen many of his designs without proper credit (compensation is not an issue since most the family realizes the mistake not to properly patent the early designs) and Titleist will not lose it's most important tour tie (not to mention only remaining tie to Tiger).

you say properly patent

I did not think you could patent anything but so many years. I just assumed the patent ran out.

Basically when Karsten came up with the anser he came up with a whole new way to make putters any putter that is ever weighted that way will be to his credit.

Basically if Scotty copies it he is only giving the man a compliment.

Basically every club ever desighned in golf is a copy to some extent.

IF he worked for Ping who's putters would he copy?

:smilie_ping:

I'd like to see it happen just so that people will finally call Anser style putters Ansers instead of Newports.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

why does Scotty get blamed for copying putters?

Noone accuses Vokey of copying Cleveland or Taylormade copying both of them for the wedges?

Same thing, did Nike copy Callaway for the square drivers?

Jeez, give it a rest. There are only so many ways to design a golf club. Not all can be different. Some will be very similar, or, even the same!

Look at the drivers, irons, wedges, hybrids, many the same same with minor teaks. Why should putters be different?

Do th people who decry that Scotty copies decry Toyota for the Corolla copying the Honda Civic?

you say properly patent

I did not think you could patent anything but so many years. I just assumed the patent ran out.

Basically when Karsten came up with the anser he came up with a whole new way to make putters any putter that is ever weighted that way will be to his credit.

Basically if Scotty copies it he is only giving the man a compliment.

Basically every club ever desighned in golf is a copy to some extent.

You are correct they patented their putters properly but patents run out and you can't keep renewing them.

why does Scotty get blamed for copying putters?

Noone accuses Vokey of copying Cleveland or Taylormade copying both of them for the wedges?

Same thing, did Nike copy Callaway for the square drivers?

Jeez, give it a rest. There are only so many ways to design a golf club. Not all can be different. Some will be very similar, or, even the same!

Look at the drivers, irons, wedges, hybrids, many the same same with minor teaks. Why should putters be different?

Do th people who decry that Scotty copies decry Toyota for the Corolla copying the Honda Civic?

Every desighn will eventually be copied there is no question about that, as will every idea.

Also many many manufacturers have made copys of ping putters. But nobody has done a better job of making a career out of copying Karsten Solheims life work.

You seem to be a Scotty Cameron fan. I did a wicopedia search and it did not tell me much about him. Other than he worked for a lot of company's (I bet one of them was Ping) before starting his own and then going in to business with Titelist.

Can you name one original design idea that comes from Scotty Cameron?

This is a serious question for you all. Why are scotty's so good? It's obviously not his designs (being that they seem to be anser and zing copies). Is it just because he uses the best materials and manufacturing processes? If this is the case, then ping could easily make putters to compete...they would just have to settle for smaller margins. Let me know your thoughts. As I said, this is a serious question.

This is a serious question for you all. Why are scotty's so good? It's obviously not his designs (being that they seem to be anser and zing copies). Is it just because he uses the best materials and manufacturing processes?

I think you need to define "good". Good in what way? Do they have better performance? Do they have better forgiveness? Are they better quality?

If this is the case, then ping could easily make putters to compete...they would just have to settle for smaller margins. Let me know your thoughts. As I said, this is a serious question.

Why would they have to settle for smaller margins? Why shouldn't a high quality Ping command the same price as Camerons?

My reasons for liking Scotty Cameron go to the looks. I think that some of his putters are true works of art. I love the TEi3 series. The studios from a couple of years ago with the black pearl finish is drop dead gorgeous. The Circa 62 #2 of 2006 is beautiful. The 2007 catalina Classic is another gorgeous putter. The fact that they appreciate in value is what makes it an investment.

Ping makes good putters, just not really beautiful putters. I will never look at the Craz-E and go wow, that is a work of art, even though it is a great putter to use. Same thing with Ping's Doc, Ugli, G2 series, G5 series. The only putters I thought that were very nice looking were the Redwood series.

Most high end milled putters have good to great feel. To me what separates them is the looks.

This is a serious question for you all. Why are scotty's so good? It's obviously not his designs (being that they seem to be anser and zing copies). Is it just because he uses the best materials and manufacturing processes? If this is the case, then ping could easily make putters to compete...they would just have to settle for smaller margins. Let me know your thoughts. As I said, this is a serious question.

Let me preface by saying I'm not a Scotty basher. Just giving an honest opinion. I really don't think that Scotty's stand out from a feel or performance standpoint. None I have ever tried felt or rolled better than plenty of other putter makers out there. I've also found the quality to be inconsistent. His customization offerings are way behind. He has reached a point where he really doesn't have to cater to consumer needs. He can stamp his name on something and it will sell like hotcakes.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Let me preface by saying I'm not a Scotty basher. Just giving an honest opinion. I really don't think that Scotty's stand out from a feel or performance standpoint. None I have ever tried felt or rolled better than plenty of other putter makers out there. I've also found the quality to be inconsistent. His customization offerings are way behind. He has reached a point where he really doesn't have to cater to consumer needs. He can stamp his name on something and it will sell like hotcakes.

That's just as much a myth as the presumption that Cameron putters are so much better than other putters. Honestly, how many Detours or Circa 62s have you actually seen being played out on the course at your club or at the munis? There's a GolfMart near me that I visit frequently. They keep their Camerons and Bettinardis inside a glass case. IMHO, they're lucky to sell one Cameron putter a month. Granted, they have about 60 odd Odyssey putters that may or may not be moving as well, but one has to assume those are moving much faster than the Camerons are.

Isn't it interesting when someone, like Scotty Cameron, has been as successful at doing what they do for such a long time eventually become a target for the jealousy and envy of others. I think those who choose to bash Scotty probably cant afford his product(s). I also think that those who do not appreciate the craftsmanship and feel of Scotty's putters probably haven't even touched one of his putters outside of GolfGalaxy. Golfsmith, InsertYourFavoriteLargeGolfRetailerHere.

My $.02

Off the top of my head, I can name several original designs, Detour 1, Detour 2, Newport Detour, Futura, Futura Phantom, Circa 62 #5, Studio MB #5...

How were the sales for these putters? Any original idea of Cameron hasn't sold well.

And copying to the degree that he has isn't a compliment. Do you guys honestly think David Mills looks at the Circa 62 series as a compliment?