2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How to Select an OEM (adult) Fairway Wood and Hybrid

My 7 year old has grown out of the USKG 45" set so instead of buying a full set of the next size I went ahead and put in a OEM (adult) driver into the bag but for irons i will stick with the USKG UL pieces as it makes the most sense.

I do have questions though regarding the fairway wood(s) and hybrid(s), specifically what lofts do i want to get and what lengths do i trim the junior shafts to(3w vs 5w and 5i vs 6i)?

Do i just find something what USKG or Flynn golf has identified as a loft to use or do i go and get something stronger lofted to match the loft gaping between the driver and fairway wood as well as the lofts between the fairway woods and hybrids?

Or do i just skip getting the adult OEM woods and hybrid and stick with USKG or Flynn products?

Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion is to get an OEM head and get a junior shaft from someone like Flynn to put in it. As far as lofts go, I have used the US Kids specs to go by. I got my daughter a Cobra women's driver and 3 wood and they have same lofts as what the US Kids clubs do. For boys it's harder to do because the men's clubs have lower lofts. My son has an F7 5 wood for his fairway wood. The loft on it is set at what US Kids recommends for a 3 wood. My son's coach recommended the 5 wood because he gets more carry out of it because of his slower swing speed. I also use the US Kids recommended lengths for what I cut my kids clubs down too. I hope this helps.

Just my opinion but I think a head made for a man is too heavy for a young kid. Why would you want a 50 pound kid hitting the same head as a 170 pound man?

The US Kids woods don't get much respect around here. You can still play good golf with them. When my boy was 7 he won every single tourney he was in except his first one (nerves) and hit the UL driver. He pounded it.

He has the UL 60 clubs now and hits them extremely well. He has a lot of swing speed so he is going to get some new ones but he still pounds those UL's.

The US Kids woods at 7 years old are just fine. I don't think kids that age have a significant enough of swing speed to really make a difference in the OEM Adult head or the US Kids head.

Once they hit the 9-10 year old age, the US Kids Metal Woods just can't compete anymore.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

The US Kids woods at 7 years old are just fine. I don't think kids that age have a significant enough of swing speed to really make a difference in the OEM Adult head or the US Kids head.

Once they hit the 9-10 year old age, the US Kids Metal Woods just can't compete anymore.

I would agree. Tried to rush my 8 year old daughter in to OEM stuff with kids shafts and now back to US Kids TS Irons and woods with great results.

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

Food for thought:

Just had a side by side comparison between his UL driver and the Cobra F7 youth model. No difference I kid you not. I was shocked and still am. His driver (which was his sister's 4 years ago) was either $40 or $50 compared to the $300 Cobra.

The Cobra F7 youth model is a beast. If my kid was right handed he would have played it when he was younger. There is Zero Comparison in a UL or Tour Series Driver when you match it up against the Cobra F7.

Food for thought:

Just had a side by side comparison between his UL driver and the Cobra F7 youth model. No difference I kid you not. I was shocked and still am. His driver (which was his sister's 4 years ago) was either $40 or $50 compared to the $300 Cobra.

The Cobra F7 youth model is a beast. If my kid was right handed he would have played it when he was younger. There is Zero Comparison in a UL or Tour Series Driver when you match it up against the Cobra F7.

My son is left handed and he has a Callaway XR driver with a senior shaft in it. It is cut down to the US Kids length for his height. I added lead tape to the bottom of the head to add some swing weight back to the club. When you cut the clubs down, you lose a bunch of swing weight. He also has a Cobra F7 driver as well with a senior shaft in it. He doesn't hit it long by any means and the senior shafts aren't giving him any trouble. I have the senior shafts in his fairway woods and hybrid. You can start off with a Flynn junior shaft and work your way up to the adult shafts.

Food for thought:

My son is left handed and he has a Callaway XR driver with a senior shaft in it. It is cut down to the US Kids length for his height. I added lead tape to the bottom of the head to add some swing weight back to the club. When you cut the clubs down, you lose a bunch of swing weight. He also has a Cobra F7 driver as well with a senior shaft in it. He doesn't hit it long by any means and the senior shafts aren't giving him any trouble. I have the senior shafts in his fairway woods and hybrid. You can start off with a Flynn junior shaft and work your way up to the adult shafts.

I just throwing my 2 cents in. My son is swinging adult clubs with regular flex shafts now.

Food for thought:

I just throwing my 2 cents in. My son is swinging adult clubs with regular flex shafts now.

No problem Heavy. Best course of action is to start off with one of the Flynn junior shafts and then move up to the adult shafts.

Food for thought:

Well numbers don't lie. Hit both in a simulator. The salesman totally agreed, not worth buying. I have ZERO affiliation with US Kids Clubs or anything golf related.

IDK what to think about it, I was shocked as I REALLY wanted to buy it. :)

Food for thought:

Well numbers don't lie. Hit both in a simulator. The salesman totally agreed, not worth buying. I have ZERO affiliation with US Kids Clubs or anything golf related.

Then your kids swing speed isn't fast enough to take advantage in the technology. I have seen this club in use and it is a beast.

Food for thought:

Then your kids swing speed isn't fast enough to take advantage in the technology. I have seen this club in use and it is a beast.

Well he's 11, only about 85 pounds but can hit it close to 200 with his little $40 club. I'm no expert but the kid has no problem with swing speed. Pound for pound you won't find a stronger kid. He's a multiple state champ in wrestling and can flat out play the game of golf. I'm not trying to brag, just saying I don't think speed is an issue cuz from my eyes he gets her moving pretty good.

Well he's 11, only about 85 pounds but can hit it close to 200 with his little $40 club. I'm no expert but the kid has no problem with swing speed. Pound for pound you won't find a stronger kid. He's a multiple state champ in wrestling and can flat out play the game of golf. I'm not trying to brag, just saying I don't think speed is an issue cuz from my eyes he gets her moving pretty good.

Strong means nothing in golf. Bubba Watson looks like a pretzel, but he can hit a golf ball a mile. In golf it is about speed.

What do you mean by "Can Flat out play the game of golf"? Is he shooting mid to low 70's?

Are you sure he can hit it close to 200? The UL 60 club is made for swing speeds up to 69 mph. If his swing speed is higher than that, the club has to spray shots everywhere. That club was also not made to perform at swing speeds that exceed 69 mph. It is technology from 20 years ago. If that technology was good, they would still be using that technology in adult heads.

All I know is that when we go to the World Championships of golf, the girl's aren't even using the UL sets.

Strong means nothing in golf. Bubba Watson looks like a pretzel, but he can hit a golf ball a mile. In golf it is about speed.

What do you mean by "Can Flat out play the game of golf"? Is he shooting mid to low 70's?

Are you sure he can hit it close to 200? The UL 60 club is made for swing speeds up to 69 mph. If his swing speed is higher than that, the club has to spray shots everywhere. That club was also not made to perform at swing speeds that exceed 69 mph. It is technology from 20 years ago. If that technology was good, they would still be using that technology in adult heads.

All I know is that when we go to the World Championships of golf, the girl's aren't even using the UL sets.

Yep, around the upper 180's and lower 190's. Confirmed outdoors and indoors. I'm no swing expert but on the indoor simulator he was averaging around the mid to high 70's with his speed. Highest was like 83 if I remember correctly. Not sure if that agrees with his distances. If they don't I guess call me out, I have no reason to play internet tough guy.

Once again, I was surprised that the Cobra didn't perform any better. He (the EE) just said that for HIM, that US Kid driver must be the right loft/weight/length/etc. for him.

Yep, around the upper 180's and lower 190's. Confirmed outdoors and indoors. I'm no swing expert but on the indoor simulator he was averaging around the mid to high 70's with his speed. Highest was like 83 if I remember correctly. Not sure if that agrees with his distances. If they don't I guess call me out, I have no reason to play internet tough guy.

Once again, I was surprised that the Cobra didn't perform any better. He (the EE) just said that for HIM, that US Kid driver must be the right loft/weight/length/etc. for him.

That sounds right if he is hitting upper 180's lower 190's. He would get more accuracy out of the Cobra, the US Kids Tour Series, or a Flynn Driver because those shafts are a stiffer. Is his miss a hook?

So would one be doing the child a dis-service if they were put into an OEM versus a USKG of equal club and loft or are they just NOT able to maximize the benefit of using an OEM so the cost wouldn't be worth the purchase?

That sounds right if he is hitting upper 180's lower 190's. He would get more accuracy out of the Cobra, the US Kids Tour Series, or a Flynn Driver because those shafts are a stiffer. Is his miss a hook?

Miss is either hook or a push. Like you, I figured the Cobra would step up a little better on mishits due to better technology. Hard to justify the $ for better mishits right now. Since we can't golf year round, I think we will keep playing what he has and then get a complete overhaul next spring. These just worked this year as they were his sister's before. There's a guy a couple hours away that fits with a Trackman. I'm sure I'll write a big check but I'm fine with that.

Miss is either hook or a push. Like you, I figured the Cobra would step up a little better on mishits due to better technology. Hard to justify the $ for better mishits right now. Since we can't golf year round, I think we will keep playing what he has and then get a complete overhaul next spring. These just worked this year as they were his sister's before. There's a guy a couple hours away that fits with a Trackman. I'm sure I'll write a big check but I'm fine with that.

That hook is more than likely the whippy shaft not being able to handle his swing speed.

So would one be doing the child a dis-service if they were put into an OEM versus a USKG of equal club and loft or are they just NOT able to maximize the benefit of using an OEM so the cost wouldn't be worth the purchase?

My personal opinion is that you would be doing your child a dis-service. You will also be wasting money. Until they get to around 10-13 there is no reason to go with an OEM adult club. They need to be able to swing the driver 75MPH+ to get the benefit of the technology. This is strictly opinion and hearsay.

For what it's worth my 11 year old (who is only currently swinging 80mph) recently went to a local golf show and tried *every* driver, mostly fitted with a custom Ladies shaft. The one that went furthest and hit the most straight was the USKIDS Tour Driver. He was also pretty much 100% down the middle. He's been using the USKids UL's until now.

I did check the launch monitors to make sure that we weren't playing golf on Mount Kilimanjaro :pimp:

Jim

EDIT I should clarify that when I say every driver I mean the OEMs like TaylorMade M2, Titleist 917, Cobra King F7, a Wilson and several others. He was just a little too short for a ladies shaft and just hit beautifully with the USKids Tour 57

For what it's worth my 11 year old (who is only currently swinging 80mph) recently went to a local golf show and tried *every* driver, mostly fitted with a custom Ladies shaft. The one that went furthest and hit the most straight was the USKIDS Tour Driver. He was also pretty much 100% down the middle. He's been using the USKids UL's until now.

I did check the launch monitors to make sure that we weren't playing golf on Mount Kilimanjaro :pimp:

Jim

At 80 mph he should be in a men's senior/regular flex. A ladies shaft is meant for swing speeds of under 75 mph.

Jim

At 80 mph he should be in a men's senior/regular flex. A ladies shaft is meant for swing speeds of under 75 mph.

Hmm, I guess you're right. The problem is length - my son is not quite 5ft tall, to use a ladies shaft would require it to be cut down - not sure the lie angle would work out.. but since I don't play myself so I could be way off.

Jim

Hmm, I guess you're right. The problem is length - my son is not quite 5ft tall, to use a ladies shaft would require it to be cut down - not sure the lie angle would work out.. but since I don't play myself so I could be way off.

He is a big kid for 11 and in between flexes. You can take a senior flex shaft, cut it down, and he would be fine.

Jim

He is a big kid for 11 and in between flexes. You can take a senior flex shaft, cut it down, and he would be fine.

Thanks, just realised I mis-converted cm to inches (I'm in the UK) - he's actually closer to 4'8 so his current driver (which is the right length according to USKids) is 38 inches.

I was concerned that taking more than a couple of inches from a mens shaft would end up with weight distribution issues and would affect the flex - someone else also mentioned that cutting down a shaft too much would affect the lie angle.

As I said I don't play golf so this is all new to me!

He's enjoying playing with his USKids Tour clubs right now, but I think his next set will be Ladies or cut down Mens for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

How was the Cobra setup? It should have been a 41" shaft and set to 12* loft or lower. I find it hard to believe that if setup properly it would not outperform an UL60 at 40" and 14* loft. Plus launch monitors at big box and crappy balls make a big difference. The driver is only $200 now and you get 2 shafts. It needs to be compared on the course. I would get it and give it a try on course messing around with different lofts. At some point he will need the OEM setup.