2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MacGregor or MacGregor

Trying to make up my mind about buying one of two sets of vintage/classic irons. I've read that the Mac MT S/S Tourney's are to die for and the Mac Jack Nicklaus JNP's are also much sought after. If I had these clubs at the range I could probably sort out pretty quickly which ones would fit me but unfortunately that won't be the case. Has anyone out there some experience of these?

(of course I could buy them both and then spend the rest of my life as a single man)

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy both. Sell something else. :)

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Price dependent, IMO. Heard good things about the Tourneys - but have hit the JNPs as a 2 iron. As far as I can make out, the JNP is slightly long heel to toe and relatively shallow in the face. The Tourneys look a bit bigger all around. The JNPs have a fairly straight leading edge, but nicely blunted. Great, solid but soft feel. JNPs came towards the tail end of MacGregor's glory days. The Tourneys were part of the attempt to recover their position after the bad times had set in. Not saying that the Tourneys aren't a great club - but if you're wanting a set of vintage MacGregors then I think the JNPs have a little more of the classic bloodline.

Price dependent, IMO. Heard good things about the Tourneys - but have hit the JNPs as a 2 iron. As far as I can make out, the JNP is slightly long heel to toe and relatively shallow in the face. The Tourneys look a bit bigger all around. The JNPs have a fairly straight leading edge, but nicely blunted. Great, solid but soft feel. JNPs came towards the tail end of MacGregor's glory days. The Tourneys were part of the attempt to recover their position after the bad times had set in. Not saying that the Tourneys aren't a great club - but if you're wanting a set of vintage MacGregors then I think the JNPs have a little more of the classic bloodline.

thankyou for that, I'm used to blades having played most of my golf with them

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

I would have to sell another set of Macs and I couldn't do that so it would be "Hi ho hi ho, it's a single way to go"

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

I would have to sell another set of Macs and I couldn't do that so it would be "Hi ho hi ho, it's a single way to go"

You can't bribe her with shoes or a purse?

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

in solid gold? probably. I sold 3 full sets a while ago and still have 3 bags full, baaaaaa. I'm just a serial hoarder.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

in solid gold? probably. I sold 3 full sets a while ago and still have 3 bags full, baaaaaa. I'm just a serial hoarder.

I have three bags full too!

But then there's all the ones in boxes...

jus chillin

Those MT Tourneys are cast 304 stainless with chrome plating. Amazing soft feel. A lot like the much lauded Maxfli Revolutions. They are midsized and have a bit of offset. They come with superlight shafts. Those JNP irons are a completely different breed. Carbon steel forged with a flat sole and minimal bounce. Less offset, a smaller blade, and much heavier shaft. Apples to oranges.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I have three bags full too!

But then there's all the ones in boxes...

my commiserations, we are kindred hoarders

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Those MT Tourneys are cast 304 stainless with chrome plating. Amazing soft feel. A lot like the much lauded Maxfli Revolutions. They are midsized and have a bit of offset. They come with superlight shafts. Those JNP irons are a completely different breed. Carbon steel forged with a flat sole and minimal bounce. Less offset, a smaller blade, and much heavier shaft. Apples to oranges.

Yes I knew they were s/s and was curious about that - something different that MacGregor tried after stopping forged. I'm more of a heavier shaft player and like a bit of weight so the JNP's are probably more like my early Spaldings and better suited. Most of the grips on the JNP's are shot and some of the shafts are past their use-by-date so the heads are all I would really be getting versus the MT's which are in all over great condition - can you see the quandary? I think anyone who has a love of vintage clubs gets a lot of satisfaction from restoring them to playing condition and I wouldn't mind doing that, Thanks for the good info.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Of the two.......JNP

Then you can go find some Don Whites, or the rumored Miuras. Or both. :)

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Curious to see which way the wind blows on this. Picked up a random pw in the tourneys, at a goodwill and really liked the feel of it.

Let us know what you think about it ok?

Of the two.......JNP

Then you can go find some Don Whites, or the rumored Miuras. Or both. :)

Now you're really turning the thumb screws !

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Curious to see which way the wind blows on this. Picked up a random pw in the tourneys, at a goodwill and really liked the feel of it.

I did a similar thing when I bought a nice bag with a few mixed clubs (mostly rubbish) but hiding in there was a Hogan Apex Equalizer forged - which I kept and all I can say is wow

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Agree with Ness that these are totally different animals. I myself would opt for the JPN's. I much prefer the compact cb design. Combine these with some nice DG's or Nippon's and you would be hard pressed to find a more playable set, even with today's offerings.

Agree with Ness that these are totally different animals. I myself would opt for the JPN's. I much prefer the compact cb design. Combine these with some nice DG's or Nippon's and you would be hard pressed to find a more playable set, even with today's offerings.

Thanks. With the higher launch I would lean towards the Nippon's

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

I'd go for the JNP's in a heartbeat. I game the Mac CB-92 irons, Macgregors other early 90's era forged cavity back iron. These really are vintage styled forged Macgregors with straight leading edge, nearly flat soles and little bounce. That's what I like about them. The late 90's Macgregors have a much more modern rounded shape. Totally different style club than the early 90's. Not to mention the JNP's are forged, and really great forgings too, compared to the MT which is cast stainless steel.

I put KBS C Taper Lite 110 Stiff shafts in my CB-92's and they play great. A set of JNP's with some modern shafts sound really sweet as well.

I'd go for the JNP's in a heartbeat. I game the Mac CB-92 irons, Macgregors other early 90's era forged cavity back iron. These really are vintage styled forged Macgregors with straight leading edge, nearly flat soles and little bounce. That's what I like about them. The late 90's Macgregors have a much more modern rounded shape. Totally different style club than the early 90's. Not to mention the JNP's are forged, and really great forgings too, compared to the MT which is cast stainless steel.

I put KBS C Taper Lite 110 Stiff shafts in my CB-92's and they play great. A set of JNP's with some modern shafts sound really sweet as well.

Thanks. That's what I'm leaning towards. Ideally, I would like to match them up with woods (Persimmon type woods that is), any ideas what to look out for? steel shafts of course

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Thanks. That's what I'm leaning towards. Ideally, I would like to match them up with woods (Persimmon type woods that is), any ideas what to look out for? steel shafts of course

I considered matching my irons with a set of Ping Zing woods, though I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I thought it would be cool to have the whole bag early 90's vintage. I recently picked up a Ping Zing 5 putter which has become my new gamer but have yet to go wood woods.

• 1 month later...

Nomad,

You sir, are not making it any easier for me to stay on the wagon, the no club-ho wagon, that is. Haven't been scrounging around my normal haunts much lately, but, I feel the slippery slope starting to slide...

Keep us informed on the JNPs.

Missed out on the JNPs but I'll keep that option open

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls