golfing in Fort Walton Beach/Destin FL

pjammer13

any where I just MUST play when there?
I am going to Fort Walton Beach for a week starting this Sunday. Is there anywhere that I just must play while there? I am looking for any advice on where I should be teeing up next week so I can try and get some tee times before I leave. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

CP

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly Plantation is a very nice course, it is a Fred Couples signature course. Regatta Bay is also very nice. Both have been in great shape when I have played them. Both have websites also.

Steven

TEE EXS 8.5* HZRDUS Yellow 65S
TEE EXS 15* HZRDUS Yellow 75S
PXG 0311X Gen2 DG 120X
Taylormade 2012 MC 3-PW X100
Ping Glide 54/60 S400
SC Select Newport 2.6

• 1 month later...

Must play would be http://www.sharkstoothgolf.com/ if you can get on (private). If you are a member of a country club your pro might be able to call down and get you on, but be prepared to drop some coin.

http://www.joetowns.com/campcreek/index.asp would be my #2 but I've heard they have gone private also. It is a Fazio course and a great layout. You should be able to get on this time of year.

If you don't mind driving over to Panama City Hombre is a good course also. You can get a free round off their website right now. http://www.hombregolfclub.com/golf/proto/hombregolfclub/

I've heard Windsweep Dunes is nice but I have not played it. In Destin my favorite was Kelly Plantation. It has some nice holes along the bay. http://www.kellyplantation.com/

• 3 months later...

I spent six weeks in Panama City (Tyndall AFB) last year and explored most of the courses between there and Ft. Walton Beach. My #1 choice to play would be Camp Creek...absolutely fabulous. Close 2nd would be Burnt Pines at Sandestin. After that I'd say Raven at Sandestin. I played Regatta Bay and it just wasn't that impressive to me...typical Florida course. I've also played The Eagle and The Falcon at Eglin AFB. The Eagle was awesome...great value too. The Falcon had a few holes on it that I thought were gimicky. Hurlburt Field has an 18 hole course but the two nines were built in different decades so they don't match at all. The back nine there is great, however. Same thing at Tyndal AFB, back nine is much better. I didn't play the Hombre, but every one told me it's very nice. The Nicklaus Course at the Bay Point Marriot in Panama City Beach is a great place to go play, too. Very nice condition and a pretty stout layout.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

I go every year at least once to the north Myrtle Beach / Calabash area and also I go every year around spring break (teenagers!) to the Destin area. I hate to say it but Destin is really pretty poor for selection and pricing for golf when you compare it to other golf destinations such as Myrtle or frankly, even my home area in Atlanta. The suggestions above such as Kelly plantation are very good ones, but have you checked out the prices? They are out of sight.

The last few years I have been playing at Bluewater Bay which is just a mile or two back across the bay bridge, leaving Destin. The rates are reasonable and they have I believe 2 or 3 different 18 hole courses that they mix and match front nine and back nine when assigning tee times.

I really don't mean to diss the golf in the Florida panhandle, but to me, I go there for the beach and while there, I try and find a place to play golf. Don't ever go there as a golf destination, unless of course you have lots and lots of cash.

[quote name='fratlord' post='663722' date='Aug 2 2007, 10:35 AM']Kelly Plantation is a very nice course, it is a Fred Couples signature course. Regatta Bay is also very nice. Both have been in great shape when I have played them. Both have websites also.

Steven[/quote]

Kelly Plantation, Regatta, Burnt Pine, and the Raven are money........

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody played the Sharkstooth? I don't think it was open when I was there last year. I would have jumped on it if it was. On the other hand I didn't know about The Tribute in The Colony, Tx until after I left Witchita Falls. I went back and played that one...holy cow. Now I have to figure out a way to play Sharkstooth.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

[quote name='67VIP' post='842238' date='Dec 30 2007, 02:47 PM']Anybody played the Sharkstooth? I don't think it was open when I was there last year. I would have jumped on it if it was. On the other hand I didn't know about The Tribute in The Colony, Tx until after I left Witchita Falls. I went back and played that one...holy cow. Now I have to figure out a way to play Sharkstooth.[/quote]

I think you have to stay at the Water Colors resort. I think Camp Creek is the same. I'm going to Destin in 3 weeks, and am planning on playing 1.) Kelly Plantation, 2.) Windswept Dunes, 3.) The Raven @ Sandestin, and 4.) Camp Creek ( I think I have a connection)

[quote name='67VIP' post='842238' date='Dec 30 2007, 01:47 PM']Anybody played the Sharkstooth? I don't think it was open when I was there last year. I would have jumped on it if it was. On the other hand I didn't know about The Tribute in The Colony, Tx until after I left Witchita Falls. I went back and played that one...holy cow. Now I have to figure out a way to play Sharkstooth.[/quote]

I was in Destin in 2003 and Sharkstooth was open at that time. If I remember correctly it was $150 with a member. I had my pro call down and he could get me on for $200 but that was more than I wanted to pay. If you can get on Camp Creek you will not regret it.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from Sandestin...

We played the following courses:

Regatta Bay: Very nice course. Played it in 42 degree, windy weather which took some enjoyment out of the round, but I do recommend the course. Played once.

Raven at Sandestin: Great layout and challenging. The greens were not in great shape. It was like they were dorment. The course is a lot of fun. Played three times.

Baytowne at Sandestin: Just an average course. A few nice holes, but nothing that makes you say wow. Played twice.

Burnt Pine at Sandestin: Very nice course. Challenging but fair. Best conditioned course at Sandestin. Played once.

Kelly Plantation: Excellent course and wonderful layout. Best staff in area. Conditions were the best we saw. Played once.

My ranking:

1) Raven

2) Kelly Plantation

3) Burnt Pine

4) Regatta Bay

5) Baytowne

• 2 months later...
Curious for you guys that know the area. Is the Eglin AFB golf course still phenomenal or has it slide .

I only got to play it about three times like forty years ago. I still rember the day I shot even par there. Thought I was a god.

To this day the deepest bunkers I have ever seen.

was at eglin for 4 years and the only courses i didn't see listed were on the robert trent jones golf trail in south AL. no more than couple hour drive.

as far as eglin afb golf courses, they are my fav, falcon even that the eagle course is #3. i'm a memeber of the #1 dod course (eisenhower in CO) and have also played a good 7 or 8 of the top 15 dod courses and elgin rates as my #1.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]