2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Rory Sabbitini's irons

I do n't think that 's right analogy !

Ball striking is ball striking . Lot of people on this board have tried blades than given up as they could not hit them consistently or loss of distance. All power to you if you can hit the MP 67 consistently and you are playing MP 60 for other reasons , but a large majority of recreational golfers do not play blades as they simply are not good enough to hit them consistently .

Since you are playing with Mizuno . The Mizuno handicap chart shows MX series shovels followed by MP 60 , MP 32 , MP 67 in the decreasing order of handicap . Even though it is flawed ( you could be a great putter but lousy ball striker ) . They assume that the low handicaps have better ball striking.

So simple as this, blades are harder to hit than GI irons .

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On of my friends was in town visiting a few weeks ago to golf. He just got a HUGE, and I mean HUGE bonus check and was in GolfGalaxy to buy new irons. Money was absolutely no option.

What did he select? Mizuno. Nope. Titleist. Nope. PING, Nope. He bought the Nike Ignite irons with the 3H.

They are pretty good, maybe one of the best for the price range.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

i respect him a little less now, knowing he's playing shovels...

ignorant...? maybe, but it's just a personal opinion...

The opposite could hold true for you... You'd think someone who's best ever round is 78 would be playing something similar to what Rory plays. I mean if we go by your logic good players should use forged blades and chops like you should play big bulky cavity backs right?

"should" is a loaded term there... and while for the majority you are probably right... i personally can't get passed the look of a GI iron...

it's obviously apparent that more and more pros are using CB's, heck i'd say the majority of them do now... but how many of them are being paid to hit them too...? would they play something else if they weren't under contract...?

Ezgolfer;

Thanks for joining in on the debate. I guess we agree to to disagree. Bottom line is that I could care less what you put in your bag to play this game.

I was taught that the object was to put the ball in the hole in the least number of stokes possible. For me to do that well, I play the easiest clubs that money will buy.

I only know what you must do as a fellow player to get my respect and that is to put the ball in the hole with the least amount of strokes. We have a guy in our group that has played my home course since it opened in 1965. He has always been one of the clubs better players. He won five club championships in his younger days. Today at a young 76, he still playes every Thursday in our group. He is allowed of course to play from the senior tee's. He still carries a HC index of 5.0 from these tee's. Here is the part about him that may interest you. He plays with a bag full of knockoff clubs. These clubs while not the real deal, still represent modern technology. I really don't give a second look to what is in his bag because I could really care less.

However, I give him my full respect because of his ability to shoot scores at or under par even at the age of 76. I have in my life handed him a lot more $$$$ tha he has ever handed me. So I respect him for what he does on the course, not what is in his bag.

With that being said, it is great to debate this subject with everyone here, but for me all that matters is the score you put up at the end of the round. What you do it with means nothing to me.

I have said many times that I would carry my wifes clubs if it would mean that I could shoot better scores, pink shafts and all.

Ezgolfer;

Thanks for joining in on the debate. I guess we agree to to disagree. Bottom line is that I could care less what you put in your bag to play this game.

I was taught that the object was to put the ball in the hole in the least number of stokes possible. For me to do that well, I play the easiest clubs that money will buy.

I only know what you must do as a fellow player to get my respect and that is to put the ball in the hole with the least amount of strokes. We have a guy in our group that has played my home course since it opened in 1965. He has always been one of the clubs better players. He won five club championships in his younger days. Today at a young 76, he still playes every Thursday in our group. He is allowed of course to play from the senior tee's. He still carries a HC index of 5.0 from these tee's. Here is the part about him that may interest you. He plays with a bag full of knockoff clubs. These clubs while not the real deal, still represent modern technology. I really don't give a second look to what is in his bag because I could really care less.

However, I give him my full respect because of his ability to shoot scores at or under par even at the age of 76. I have in my life handed him a lot more $$$$ tha he has ever handed me. So I respect him for what he does on the course, not what is in his bag.

With that being said, it is great to debate this subject with everyone here, but for me all that matters is the score you put up at the end of the round. What you do it with means nothing to me.

I have said many times that I would carry my wifes clubs if it would mean that I could shoot better scores, pink shafts and all.

I agree.

I remember also that Rori also won tournaments with Nike NDS irons while back.

This thread has been an entertaining read. Most of us have played with guys who have had worse clubs but better swings at some point in time. When it comes to clubs, whatever brings a player the most confident are the clubs they should be playing. Blades or GI is irrelevant.

However, I think it's easy to get too focused on equipment. IMHO, what really matters in a round of golf is not your clubs or even your score, it's enjoying yourself and having a good time playing the game of golf.

Don't get me wrong, when I'm playing well I tend to enjoy myself, but some of my best golf memories have come during bad rounds with good friends.

here is my 2 cent....I can hit my mizuno blades anyway I want...high, low, draw, fade...and more times than not i hit it pure...give me a set of cavity backs (maybe with the exception of the r7 TP) and you would swear I couldnt break 80 bc I would hit it fat...ALOT...now maybe this is just a mental thing...or I have just got use to the heavier compact feel of a blade....nevertheless I do not think it is a safe assumption to say that better ballstrikers must play blades or that anyone who plays cavity backs must be an inferior player...its what looks right to the eye and feels the best...whether it be a volkswagen on a stick or 1990 norman style quarter size blade...and besides how much has iron technology changed...IMO the real place that technology or style of club helps is driver and the ball...so hit your cavity backs or blades...just make sure you beat the other guy..oh yeah...I think we all agree that SABBATINI is an INFERIOR player to TIGER!

This is a funny post. Kinda silly too.

The answer is...it all depends on your skill, your preference and sometimes your wallet. Regardless, If you can strike it well and you have a solid short game you will score and in the end the score is all that matters. That's why I love golf its so individual.

Rory is an interesting individual. I don't count him as my favorite to watch but his is different and that adds color to the tour witch can put me to sleep most Sunday afternoons.

As for the irons, I have herd that he hits the ball low and is a digger, maybe these irons let him make a natural swing and he gets a little help on misses.

The shafts he plays are probably more important than the club heads though. I have certainly learned that in my own experience.

Peace :-)

I remember also that Rori also won tournaments with Nike NDS irons while back.

The NDS irons are HIGHLY UNDERRATED. They really are a GREAT set of irons, but most people never looked at them because of their price. If they cost MORE, maybe more people would have bought them. :tongue:

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

I wasn't cutting down GI clubs at all. I was simply wondering why a player of rory's caliber (even though i hate him) would not be playing more of a player's club, even a cavity back blade. He's a pro player, he obviously has the talent to hit the player's clubs. I mean some guys will play a bigger clubhead in their long irons to help get the ball up in the air ( i play rac os 3, 4, and 5 irons). But Rory's whole bag consists of GI clubs. I have no ego (whoever the dumbf**k was who said that), i was just wondering if anyone new the reason for his playing those clubs. That's all.

The fact is Rory is a great player. However, ask any teaching professional and they will tell you his swing is absolutely horrendous. He only hits the ball left to right. So for a player who doesn't have the ability to work the ball, Ignite's may be the best bet. Good thing a good swing doesn't mean you're a good player.

The fact is Rory is a great player. However, ask any teaching professional and they will tell you his swing is absolutely horrendous. He only hits the ball left to right. So for a player who doesn't have the ability to work the ball, Ignite's may be the best bet. Good thing a good swing doesn't mean you're a good player.

Silly Rory. Trying to be Nicklaus....

i respect him a little less now, knowing he's playing shovels...

ignorant...? maybe, but it's just a personal opinion...

The opposite could hold true for you... You'd think someone who's best ever round is 78 would be playing something similar to what Rory plays. I mean if we go by your logic good players should use forged blades and chops like you should play big bulky cavity backs right?

"should" is a loaded term there... and while for the majority you are probably right... i personally can't get passed the look of a GI iron...

it's obviously apparent that more and more pros are using CB's, heck i'd say the majority of them do now... but how many of them are being paid to hit them too...? would they play something else if they weren't under contract...?

So, Rory is sponsored by Ignite irons or is it NIKE golf? I'm gonna say he could play any NIKE iron he wanted to, he chooses the Ignites just like the NDS before that and I'm sure could play the blades if he wanted to. You're practically playing blades and you can hardly break 80, speaks volumes for your golf game. :lol:

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]