2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rory Sabbitini's irons

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well considering I play them, yes I'm going to defend them.

I've hit a lot of irons, especially in the last 3 months, and I had a lot of trouble believing the negative hype on the Ignites. I don't know why Mr.Divots loves them that much more than CCI Cast. Personally I think the CCI Cast are great irons, but for some reason I don't notice the CCI cast on tour. I see Ignites in a few bags. I saw Trevor (Immelman?) using the 3 Iron for instance.

I think the Ignites are well kept secret. I think they're too cheap though. People are funny that way, I think if they cost 1,200 bucks, more people would be interested in them. ;)

Rory played the NDS Irons before this set. He seems to like the GI clubs a little better. He is a funny guy that way. My Nike rep kept talking about how many players were playing the CCi Cast and how great they were, but I always hit the CCi forged a little better.

I play Pro Combo OS irons, btw. Great set. Absolutely great sticks!

Well considering I play them, yes I'm going to defend them.

I've hit a lot of irons, especially in the last 3 months, and I had a lot of trouble believing the negative hype on the Ignites. I don't know why Mr.Divots loves them that much more than CCI Cast. Personally I think the CCI Cast are great irons, but for some reason I don't notice the CCI cast on tour. I see Ignites in a few bags. I saw Trevor (Immelman?) using the 3 Iron for instance.

I think the Ignites are well kept secret. I think they're too cheap though. People are funny that way, I think if they cost 1,200 bucks, more people would be interested in them. ;)

The CCi cast are quite harsh on mis-hits and have a very vague feel about them. I owned both sets simultaneously and could notice a markedly better feel and consistency of shots with the Ignites. I don't think the inserts on the CCi cast exactly "filtered" out the vibrations that they meant to. Having mis-hit a blade, and mis-hit the CCi cast, the blades did not feel as harsh or give as bad a stinger. My friend who has the slingshots also hit the CCi cast and did not like them one bit either. I am on to the CCi forged now, which set up fantastically, but of course are more demanding. The cavity insert is less intrusive on them, and there is a more definitive sweet spot on them.

I've been playing forged irons forever and dont plan on switching but the Ignite irons are pretty nice IMO. They look good at address, not much offset, super forgiving, and cheap. I think I could play these with no problem if I could change out the stock shaft.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Gotta love it. The second round leader at the Bridgestone Invitational and he did it with 'shovels'. Goes to show that when you can play, it doesn't matter what you use as long as you're comfortable with it. Just kinda funny that Rory has access to anything he wants from Nike yet he chose the less flashy non-Player set. That's pretty cool.

'...are horrible.'

Sorry, I thought it was a 'complete this sentence' post.

;)

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Why, of all the nike irons, does sabbitini play ignite irons? They're not exactly players clubs, are they? I mean maybe they feel the best to him, but it seems a bit odd to me.

Your EGO has got the best of you. It has clouded your thoughts. Looks like Rory has no EGO in his bag.

Who said better players could not play with cavity backs? That is your EGO talking. I would get rid of that ASAP. There is no room for ones EGO in your golf bag.

;)

Why, of all the nike irons, does sabbitini play ignite irons? They're not exactly players clubs, are they? I mean maybe they feel the best to him, but it seems a bit odd to me.

Your EGO has got the best of you. It has clouded your thoughts. Looks like Rory has no EGO in his bag.

Who said better players could not play with cavity backs? That is your EGO talking. I would get rid of that ASAP. There is no room for ones EGO in your golf bag.

;)

rory has a huuuge monster ego and its laame. hes such a tool

he has enough ego for everyone on tour

tigers all like "lego my ego" :D

I hate Sabbatini, so anybody else doing so I welcome, but for his club choice? Come on.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

;)

He was just asking a question. I see that you play x20s so you might be defending these types of irons but he was just wondering why a player played a certain type of equipment, not ragging on the type of it. However dieselmp might have a little ego problem.

i respect him a little less now, knowing he's playing shovels...

ignorant...? maybe, but it's just a personal opinion...

The opposite could hold true for you... You'd think someone who's best ever round is 78 would be playing something similar to what Rory plays. I mean if we go by your logic good players should use forged blades and chops like you should play big bulky cavity backs right?

;)

He was just asking a question. I see that you play x20s so you might be defending these types of irons but he was just wondering why a player played a certain type of equipment, not ragging on the type of it. However dieselmp might have a little ego problem.

I guess it is sort of a knee jerk reaction from me when we get on the debate of forged/blades versus cast/cavity backs. Bottom line is while I do not care much for the guy (Sabbitini) he can play any iron he wants to play same as the rest of us.

The original post to me seemed to lean towards the normal cut down of anyone playing cavity backs. I do not take the comments on this board all that serious when someone refers to my irons as "shovels". My guess always has been that most of the guys who make these kind of comments more than likely play forged/blades but have a double digit handicap and are not very good players. This is where EGO comes into play. Most of the guys that I know personally who play blades have the game for them and don't make stupid comments about my irons because we have exchanged enough money from each other so many times that we respect each others bag. Same with drivers. When I switched to the FT-i this spring I got the reactions from my group that I expected but I shut them up pretty quick with results. When it comes to irons though I just like the feel of cavity backs so I have no reason to change. Plus I again just let the results speak for me. I'm no Tiger, so I like all of the help I can get. Could be the same for Sabbitini as he has proven once again that he is no Tiger either.

:D

You can not ignore the simple fact that blades are difficult to handle unless you are a very good ball striker . Try hitting a MP 33 2 iron vs a rapture 2 iron. There is a huge difference.

GI irons are much easier to hit . If someone on the course is hitting blades consistently with long irons , gets more respect from me than a guy with cavity backs.

Straight out they are a club shorter than cavity backs even in the best hands , unless you are Tiger.

I recently switched to titelist 755 from mizuno blades. Same hands , no change in swing , i can hit 3 and 4 irons with ease and have gained distance at least one club . That made me appreciate the blades more . Sorry i can not still hit them consistently and will have to wait to get there.

You can not ignore the simple fact that blades are difficult to handle unless you are a very good ball striker . Try hitting a MP 33 2 iron vs a rapture 2 iron. There is a huge difference.

GI irons are much easier to hit . If someone on the course is hitting blades consistently with long irons , gets more respect from me than a guy with cavity backs.

Straight out they are a club shorter than cavity backs even in the best hands , unless you are Tiger.

I recently switched to titelist 755 from mizuno blades. Same hands , no change in swing , i can hit 3 and 4 irons with ease and have gained distance at least one club . That made me appreciate the blades more . Sorry i can not still hit them consistently and will have to wait to get there.

I sure disagree with that statement. The only thing that gets you any respect where I play and with my regular group is your SCORE. Your score at the end of the round is what gets you respect. I could care less about what is in your bag but believe me, in the group I play with, you better have the ability to have a good result or you will be cast down to the B & C players.

I play in group that comes and goes in numbers of around 25 - 30 players. Of that group, 99 percent have HC index's of 4 or lower, down to a couple of +1 to +3 guys. Many in this group carry cavity back irons and would no doubt eat your lunch with them.

Same thing when we talk about drivers. In this group is a 20 year old who carries a 13 degree driver and is the longest in the group and I'm not talking "a lucky" drive now and then, I'm talking high percentage points here, maybe in the range of 75-80 percent fairways hit at an average of around 270-290 every single day. He out distances most all of the lowest lofted players (8 to 10 degree) day after day after day.

What style of iron or other club you play has very little to do with playing golf. It is what you do with these clubs is all that matters. We love guys that think like you to join our group from time to time. It makes it easier to find the cash to buy new clubs.

Just to play devil's advocate:

There are two guys in your club championship final. Player one has brand new 755s, an FT-I, and a detour. Player two has an arnold palmer persimmon, macgregor VIP's, and a balata ball.

Player one finally beats player two in the third hole of sudden death.

I respect player two more, because he's obviously the better player.

analagous to this situation? maybe not, but it's a situation where score isn't everything.

There are two guys in your club championship final. Player one has brand new 755s, an FT-I, and a detour. Player two has an arnold palmer persimmon, macgregor VIP's, and a balata ball.

analagous to this situation? maybe not, but it's a situation where score isn't everything.

Score is everything. The result at the end of the round is all that matters. I could care less what one uses to get a good score it is the final tally that counts.

Do you really think for one moment Tiger cares what is in the bags of other players? Do you think that he cares what you think about what is in HIS bag? I think not.

I respect the guys at my club that can go low, no matter what they do it with. Only the final score counts in golf.

I sure disagree with that statement. The only thing that gets you any respect where I play and with my regular group is your SCORE. Your score at the end of the round is what gets you respect. I could care less about what is in your bag but believe me, in the group I play with, you better have the ability to have a good result or you will be cast down to the B & C players.

I play in group that comes and goes in numbers of around 25 - 30 players. Of that group, 99 percent have HC index's of 4 or lower, down to a couple of +1 to +3 guys. Many in this group carry cavity back irons and would no doubt eat your lunch with them.

Same thing when we talk about drivers. In this group is a 20 year old who carries a 13 degree driver and is the longest in the group and I'm not talking "a lucky" drive now and then, I'm talking high percentage points here, maybe in the range of 75-80 percent fairways hit at an average of around 270-290 every single day. He out distances most all of the lowest lofted players (8 to 10 degree) day after day after day.

What style of iron or other club you play has very little to do with playing golf. It is what you do with these clubs is all that matters. We love guys that think like you to join our group from time to time. It makes it easier to find the cash to buy new clubs.

Agree ... Score = $$$$ to buy more golf gear ... It's always fun wearing new Shirts/Gloves/Shorts/etc. courtesy of your playing partners ... Thx

I do a little club-level car racing. I've got a little car that I work on myself and take out to the track. I can beat a lot of very expensive performance cars in my dirty old backyard job. Even now, these guys come up to me afterwards and say "oh yeah, I have a fuelling problem at the moment" or "my setup is all wrong today". The standard answer is... ya bring what ya got.

Only the score matters. Your example plays on the assumption that Player Two could score better with better clubs but chooses to play with inferior gear. And because he lost on the 3rd play-off hole with obviously less-performing gear, he is obviously the better player.

Makes no sense at all. Player 1 made the putt. Player 2 did not. That is all.

peter

Off course the score matters . My statement was made about two being equal. if you win with blades that not only you are a winner but a better ballstriker.

That's why the GI irons are recommended by all manufacturers for higher handicaps and blades are for low handicaps.

I would like to win with blades . One of my goals in golf is to be able to hit them consistently. Everyone is different . If you play to win skins on the weekend and your cavity backs are doing it for you . That is fine . I am a weekend golfer with different goals .

Off course the score matters . My statement was made about two being equal. if you win with blades that not only you are a winner but a better ballstriker.

That's why the GI irons are recommended by all manufacturers for higher handicaps and blades are for low handicaps.

so let's apply your logic to the following scenario.

me, i'm a 10 handicap.

there is a 6 handicap player, who plays game improvement irons.

so when he and i play together, instead of he spotting me 2/side, i should make him play with blades because it'll make him a worse ball striker?