2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Bridgestone J33 CavityBack VS Miura Cb-201 CB's ?

Viking Golfer

What would you go for ?
Anybody konw when the new Bridgestone J33 CavityBack irons will be in the stores ?

I consider these irons as a back set to my Mizzie Mx-23, Mp-60 and Mp-32. Just got my GREAT Miura Cb-201 cavity back irons stolen from my car :crazy: ;)

I really loved my miura Cb-201, and I'm almost set to buy a new set from Miura, but then I see the BridgeStone J33 Cavity Backs are being released soon and think to myself "phewwww.......two sets of great cavity back irons to chose from - Bridgestone and Miura are both GREAT forged irons - but don't know much about the new J33 CavityBack - anybody with inside knowledge about these new J33 CB's from Bridgestone :pimp::smilie_cally:

What would you go for - the Miura Cb-201 or the Bridgestone J33 CavityBacks ?
As I said I loved my Miura, but still consider getting the new Bridgestone J33 CBs as I've never tried nor played with a bridgestone irons in my life, and have heard so many guys prase the J33 combo irons from Bridgestone - please help me with your advice - what should I buy - J33 CB' og Cb-201's :D :smilie_cally:

Bridgestone J33 CB's: http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en/prodj33cavity.aspx

Miura Cb-201 CB's: http://www.miuragolf.com/shop_cb201.asp

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the J33's. Two reasons. One, Im biased as these are on the top of my wish list, and...Price. I dont know what the J33's will be priced at but I would imagine cheaper than a set of Muira's.

Ive read around the net the J33's are set for an April 06 release date. That is shipped mid March and on the shelves 4/1.

This is what I read from someone who emailed Bridgestone directly.

I emailed them ~ a week ago as well with the same question but have yet to receive a response.

I've demoed the J33 Combos and own the Miura CB-201.

I think the Miura forging feels more soft and solid. The J33 feels a bit clicky but are very nice.

If I am buying the Miuras, I will get them from a clubmaker like Chip Usher who will blueprint them for you and allow you to change or select loft, lie, shaft, grip, hardstep/softstep, length, etc. for you at a price that is lower than the one on Miura.

Of course, you could probably buy the B/S on ebay and then get them blueprinted for about the same dollars or a bit more.

I would just find it difficult after playing with Miuras to be without. The unique solid soft feel is irreplaceable.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Claus (& anyone who's tried) - How would you compare your MP-60's to CB-201?

59149[/snapback]

I would say they're a very close - I really think both irons are very very pretty to look at. Regarding the playability, I find both sets easy to work the ball with, but to me the Mp-60 is a bit more forgiving, but we are talking minor differences between these two great sets of irons.

Mizuno forging versus Miura forging.......in all honosty I really have a very hard time telling you which one feels the softest.

To me they feel equally soft.

Both sets are pure class irons, top notch best of the best.

I've heard Bridgestone irons aere a bit more clicky and not so soft to hit, but never had the chance to test a Bridgestone iron myself.

The Mp-60 is the closest I've ever seen a cavity back iron resemble a blade iron - but the Miura Cb-201 is also very blade like in appearance.

One negative thing about these soft forgings - both my Mp-60 and cb-201 dinged pretty quickly, but this a given when you're dealing with soft forged carbon steel irons.

Claus, very sorry to hear that your Miura's got stolen!

I think you'll like the feel of the cb-201's better than the J33's. Plus, I know how much you liked your cb-201's :D

Personally, I would probably spend a little more, and go with the Nike splits. Miura forged and suuuuper sweet!

Or these :pimp:

xbladecbmain.jpg

59553[/snapback]

Hey Michael,

Tell me more about the Nike Splits - don't know anything about these irons - are they Miura forged and do you have a link and a release date ?

But I'm a big time iron snob - wouldn't want to play Nike irons, no matter if they were Miura forged.

After having Mizuno and Miura irons in my bag, I even have a hard time playing with Titleist irons - unless they are carbon forged and soft (like the 690.cb you play with and hopefully the succesor 695.cb)

It seems to me that you guys, like me, are huge fans of the soft MB or CB clubs.

Having said that, nothing I've ever tried comes close to the soft feel of Accuform PTM irons. I've owned MP14's, Mp33's, Nike blades, Hogan Apex, etc etc, not necessarily in that order. A close friend of mine ownes the Muira CBs and none of these can hold a candle to the soft feel of the Accuform PTM's.

The bad news ............... they're not even in business any more. They used to sponsor Davis Love III back in the day but couldn't afford to keep him being as they were only a small Canadian company that was founded on aircraft machining.

If you could find these rare irons you'd be well served by trying them. Davis was quoted saying they were the best irons he'd ever played.

I also own the Mp-32's Mp-60's and a set of Miura CB 201 & Tournament blade combos's.

I have to say after all the talk about Miuras on this site and TSG i was extremely excited and bought a set.

I was having a hard time deciding between the CB201's and the CB1005's since I heard the CB1005 were basically the Nike Splits which I thhink are awesome clubs.

Anyways I got the CB201's and Blade Combos and have to say I though they looked very long toe to heel at adress. I could not get over it, it was just bugging me whenever I set up to a ball, the tournamnet blades were beutiful and compact and set up great. But I just could not get used to their head length...is it just me?????

Are the CB1005's the same????

So i purchased a set of MP 60's and have stuck with those for the past two months.

I am thinking of replacing the 7 8 9 PW with either MP'32's to keep the look or MP33's for there awesome look and feel.

I have to say I'm a lover for the COMBO SETS.

I'm thinking of getting a set of Bridgestone 4-7 J33 CB's & 8-PW J33B with Project X. I think this could be a AWESOME SET.

Hey Michael,

Tell me more about the Nike Splits - don't know anything about these irons - are they Miura forged and do you have a link and a release date ?

But I'm a big time iron snob - wouldn't want to play Nike irons, no matter if they were Miura forged.

After having Mizuno and Miura irons in my bag, I even have a hard time playing with Titleist irons - unless they are carbon forged and soft (like the 690.cb you play with and hopefully the succesor 695.cb)

59774[/snapback]

The Nike Splits are tour only. They look a LOT like the CB1005's (the Japanese version of the CB201's). There are a few threads about them on here. They're pretty hard to come by, and are around $1500 if you're able to find a set. But you probably wouldn't like them since you're not a big fan of Nike and don't buy used stuff...

BTW why not get a set of blades?? I probably shouldn't be playing my MR23's, but I find it a lot more fun. And they feel sooooo solid. My 690.cb's feel clicky and dead compared to my blades.

Hey Michael,

59774[/snapback]

The Nike Splits are tour only. They look a LOT like the CB1005's (the Japanese version of the CB201's). There are a few threads about them on here. They're pretty hard to come by, and are around $1500 if you're able to find a set. But you probably wouldn't like them since you're not a big fan of Nike and don't buy used stuff...

BTW why not get a set of blades?? I probably shouldn't be playing my MR23's, but I find it a lot more fun. And they feel sooooo solid. My 690.cb's feel clicky and dead compared to my blades.

60010[/snapback]

I already own the Mizzie Mp-32, which is an almost blade set - and I love them.

If you were to buy yourself a new set of blades today, what would your top 3 list over blade irons be, Michael ?

• 3 months later...

Can anyone who tried both J33 CavityBack and CB-201 give detailed comparison of two iron sets.. in feel, forgiveness, offset, club head size, overall looks, ball flight pattern, and etc.?

I searched the forum, but I can't seem to find a good comparison between these two iron sets.

I am looking for a blade like performance, but with a bit of forgiveness from cavityback (player's iron).

Any comparison or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. ;)