wrist brace to wear golfing???

juliette91

Started a different thread about thumb arthritis but today picked up a wrist brace and noticed that while trying to swing while wearing it I had less pain in my STT/CMC joint (basal thumb arthritis near the wrist).

Problem was that this Mueller wrist brace had some metal spoon shape in it that made it impossible to grip the club. Maybe that's why it helped but if anyone out there is using any wrist brace while golfing (I think one that extends a bit up the forearm is best?) please respond and let me know which one it is.

Maybe the requirements of gripping a golf club make it an oxymoron to say a wrist brace for golfing, that the whole concept of a wrist brace is in opposition to gripping a golf club--which requires a molded hand around the club and feel within that hand on the club grip?

Anyway, I'm close to giving up the game and grasping at any straw, so if I can somehow grip the club--even if it's not really great--and swing with less pain then I'll wear it.

Basal thumb arthritis, as far as I can tell from my own pain, mostly affects golfers in taking the club back as you get closer to the top of the backswing. The pain is felt primarily not in the thumb but the base of the thumb where it meets the wrist---and down the wrist a bit.

Thank you for responding!

Started a different thread about thumb arthritis but today picked up a wrist brace and noticed that while trying to swing while wearing it I had less pain in my STT/CMC joint (basal thumb arthritis near the wrist).

Problem was that this Mueller wrist brace had some metal spoon shape in it that made it impossible to grip the club. Maybe that's why it helped but if anyone out there is using any wrist brace while golfing (I think one that extends a bit up the forearm is best?) please respond and let me know which one it is.

Maybe the requirements of gripping a golf club make it an oxymoron to say a wrist brace for golfing, that the whole concept of a wrist brace is in opposition to gripping a golf club--which requires a molded hand around the club and feel within that hand on the club grip?

Anyway, I'm close to giving up the game and grasping at any straw, so if I can somehow grip the club--even if it's not really great--and swing with less pain then I'll wear it.

Basal thumb arthritis, as far as I can tell from my own pain, mostly affects golfers in taking the club back as you get closer to the top of the backswing. The pain is felt primarily not in the thumb but the base of the thumb where it meets the wrist---and down the wrist a bit.

Thank you for responding!

I always go to Walmart for these types of things. If it doesn't work, it's an easy return.

Ill send a photo when I get home, I had a similar issue. Broke my wrist in college and it never healed properly. I got a wrist brace from Meijer up here and it has been a cure all for me. Have to wear it the entire round which is a pain in the butt but I can still fit the golf glove over it. Ill send some photos of what mine looks like.

I'm pretty sure that even strapping a ruler to the back of your wrist is not allowed in Golf. Seems to me any artificial aid attached top you for the purpose of playing Golf is at the very least, questionable.

Shambles

While that may or may not be true in "the rules" (I.e. not intended to gain an advantage but is for medical reasons) the OP isn't trying to play on tour I'm assuming. Just looking for a brace to play golf with...

I also have STT arthritis and it is painful and at times has made me want to stop. I don't want to have surgery yet(late 40's). I have taken a few cortisone injections and that helps at least for a few months. I did switch to graphite shafted irons(wedges still steel shafts) and that has helped a lot. I have also gone to thicker jumbo grips and that has helped.

As for a brace, I have worn a P-TEX Adjustable wrist brace for the last year. That helps. IT does restrict some movement somewhat and feel(along with the jumbo grips) but it does help with pain. They do not have a metal or plastic rod inside.

As for it being against the rules. I don't care. I am not playing on tour or in competitive golf. I am trying to continue to play.

As for the P-TEX. I get mine at a major sporting goods store that starts with a D and they have a subsidiary that is purely a golf store in this Galaxy . I am sure you can find them on-line. They are $12.99. There may be something better, but I haven't found one yet. The Ptex I am talking about wraps around the thumb and then goes around the wrist. I am also going to try some the latex wraps. Just ordered them on Amazon.

I will say since going to graphite shafted irons it has 8 months since I have had a cortisone injection. I also take a couple of Tylenol arthritis pills along with 2 ibuprofen and that helps as well.

• Like 2

Have you considered the Gene Sarazen grip? Ten finger with thumb wrapped around the shaft.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Have you considered the Gene Sarazen grip? Ten finger with thumb wrapped around the shaft.

Yes, actually. The problem is that the pain persists because the pain is in the wrist too and it's the turning of the club shaft via the rotation of the hands/forearms that produces that pain. Restricting that turning somehow with a wrist/thumb brace could help a little. All I need is a little help and I can bear through the pain. Right now cannot do that.

I also have STT arthritis and it is painful and at times has made me want to stop. I don't want to have surgery yet(late 40's). I have taken a few cortisone injections and that helps at least for a few months. I did switch to graphite shafted irons(wedges still steel shafts) and that has helped a lot. I have also gone to thicker jumbo grips and that has helped.

As for a brace, I have worn a P-TEX Adjustable wrist brace for the last year. That helps. IT does restrict some movement somewhat and feel(along with the jumbo grips) but it does help with pain. They do not have a metal or plastic rod inside.

As for it being against the rules. I don't care. I am not playing on tour or in competitive golf. I am trying to continue to play.

As for the P-TEX. I get mine at a major sporting goods store that starts with a D and they have a subsidiary that is purely a golf store in this Galaxy . I am sure you can find them on-line. They are $12.99. There may be something better, but I haven't found one yet. The Ptex I am talking about wraps around the thumb and then goes around the wrist. I am also going to try some the latex wraps. Just ordered them on Amazon.

I will say since going to graphite shafted irons it has 8 months since I have had a cortisone injection. I also take a couple of Tylenol arthritis pills along with 2 ibuprofen and that helps as well.

Thanks, will go to the store beginning with D and buy the brace beginning with P. Had 3 cortisone shots, helped for short time but the arthritis will get worse with more shots (who knows it might have gotten worse with them, that's how cortisone works in the first place). Will get graphite shafts on more clubs. have jumbo grips but trying to avoid pills to avoid getting hooked and their other side effects.

the metal brace will pull out. it works great after you do it. i wore one off and on for 10 years. finally had hand surgery about 6 years ago. you might have to slit the threads. but it comes out. works great after you do it

what type of surgery did you have? was it successful?

i broke 5 bones in my hand at the age of 45, trying to skate board with my 14 year old son. i waited 6 weeks before i went to the dr. they said it was to late to do anything, they put a cast on it and then 7 years later. i was trying to hit a 9 iron out of long rough. i heard a big pop. it broke the ligament that runs across the top of your hand where you wrist starts. it was put together, by a surgeon that works on NFL players in Lville Ky (the Bengals and Colts) So now i have 5 titanium pins in my right wrist. i go off when i go thru those xray machines at courthouses and airports.

i did therapy for 6 months. this was 6 years ago. i played 5 times the first year, 1 time the next year, and the 3rd year it healed up enough to play without to much pain. I am also a now semi retired (sheetrock finisher) as a hobby kinda. Or Christmas money. Or to buy golf stuff. The sad thing is the next year after I could play. I had to have plical surgery on my left knee, and this past year I had the other knee replaced. It is just part of getting old. From about 1990-91 to 2012. I played golf about 200 times or more a year. I miss it now, but playing is not worth the pain. i am bound and determined to recover and play by June of this year.

the metal brace will pull out. it works great after you do it. i wore one off and on for 10 years. finally had hand surgery about 6 years ago. you might have to slit the threads. but it comes out. works great after you do it

i broke 5 bones in my hand at the age of 45, trying to skate board with my 14 year old son. i waited 6 weeks before i went to the dr. they said it was to late to do anything, they put a cast on it and then 7 years later. i was trying to hit a 9 iron out of long rough. i heard a big pop. it broke the ligament that runs across the top of your hand where you wrist starts. it was put together, by a surgeon that works on NFL players in Lville Ky (the Bengals and Colts) So now i have 5 titanium pins in my right wrist. i go off when i go thru those xray machines at courthouses and airports.

i did therapy for 6 months. this was 6 years ago. i played 5 times the first year, 1 time the next year, and the 3rd year it healed up enough to play without to much pain. I am also a now semi retired (sheetrock finisher) as a hobby kinda. Or Christmas money. Or to buy golf stuff. The sad thing is the next year after I could play. I had to have plical surgery on my left knee, and this past year I had the other knee replaced. It is just part of getting old. From about 1990-91 to 2012. I played golf about 200 times or more a year. I miss it now, but playing is not worth the pain. i am bound and determined to recover and play by June of this year.

wow. good luck in your recovery.

which brace are you referring to "the metal brace will pull out"? is this the Dick's Sporting Goods one another poster posted on this thread?

wow. good luck in your recovery.

I also send my best wishes for you to get back to the game you love.

which brace are you referring to "the metal brace will pull out"? is this the Dick's Sporting Goods one another poster posted on this thread?

The brace that I mentioned from Dick's does not have a metal piece.

I'm pretty sure that even strapping a ruler to the back of your wrist is not allowed in Golf. Seems to me any artificial aid attached top you for the purpose of playing Golf is at the very least, questionable.

Shambles

While that may or may not be true in "the rules" (I.e. not intended to gain an advantage but is for medical reasons) the OP isn't trying to play on tour I'm assuming. Just looking for a brace to play golf with...

Correct sir!

Have you tried athletic tape? I've used that in baseball to good effect when dealing with a wrist issue.

My sports med doc fitted me with some K tape but I think it's not supportive enough. Supposed to increase blood flow to the area---which if it works is the body's way of healing or reducing the inflammatory response--but there's another tape that will work better.

the wrist widget its on amazon. had an ulnar nerve injury from golf/hockey very supportive and low profile

Thanks! My STT thumb arthritis is on the radial side so have to find other solutions. Glad yours worked for you!

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Thanks Rutgers golf, the SKLZ glove in only for right handed players (yeah, on top of all that I'm LH), the Bandit Power lock also not available and the bionic relief seems to be constantly out of stock on almost any right handed glove.  Totally appreciate you posting this helpful information.  I'm still looking...

37 minutes ago, juliette91 said:

I'm still looking...

I'm an Orthopaedic Technologist and have dealt with TONS of braces over the years. The best brace for CMC arthritis, IMO, is the Push MetaGrip. Not sure how it would interact with a club shaft, but it's pretty low profile compared to just about any other type of CMC brace. 

https://bracelab.com/metagrip.html

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, BigTerp1524 said:

I'm an Orthopaedic Technologist and have dealt with TONS of braces over the years. The best brace for CMC arthritis, IMO, is the Push MetaGrip. Not sure how it would interact with a club shaft, but it's pretty low profile compared to just about any other type of CMC brace. 

https://bracelab.com/metagrip.html

Thank you for that validation.  I ordered one hoping:1. that the STT arthritis I have is located close enough to the CMC to make the brace effective; and 2. That I can figure out a way to swing a club while wearing it- my STT arthritis is on my golf glove hand

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2021 at 10:06 AM, juliette91 said:

Thank you for that validation.  I ordered one hoping:1. that the STT arthritis I have is located close enough to the CMC to make the brace effective; and 2. That I can figure out a way to swing a club while wearing it- my STT arthritis is on my golf glove hand

Any luck with this brace?

No.  It isn't comfortable to wear under a glove or on top of it and position the grip properly (you'd have to change the way you grip the club) but I could easily overcome that if it gave me any relief.  It unfortunately hasn't and I stopped using it after 5 holes.  I could have stopped after 3 or 4 swings but wanted to give it a good chance.

It's not that this brace is ineffective, I can easily see its strengths, but for my unusual arthritis (my doc says he sees one STT severe arthritis for every 50 CMC arthritis patients he sees) it doesn't stop the pain of the takeaway.

What does stop the pain is adopting a swing like M. Wolff's where the backswing club stands up vertically.  There's very little hand strength required to stand the club up straight up and down.  I'm trying it now and have 50% less pain.  But good luck hitting the ball...especially since I was a 1.4 and whiffed the ball 3x out of 35 balls.  Upside, yes!  Work to get to be a 10 handicapper--alot!