2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Info re: MacGregor Colokrom Tourney M85 Irons

kmacdoug81

Hi,

New member here. Please excuse any missteps or faux pas I may make in the course of this first post.

I am not much of a golfer (bowl in the 70s and golf in the 100s - sheesh) but am rather computer literate. As such, I was tasked by my father-in-law with determining the value of a set of clubs that he wants to part with. He's 87 and doesn't golf much anymore.

I have only found 1 club anywhere (online - it was ebay) that looked exactly like his clubs. The seller said it was from 1957. They are Colokrom Tourney Tony Penna m85 irons. What I was hoping to find out was some information that filled in the gaps beyond "they are from 1957". I realize specific measurements like length and weight are peculiar to the set itself, but more like rarity, desirability, quality and so forth. Also, are there any specific pieces of information regarding the clubs that I should include (for potential buyers) when I do list them for sale?

Thank you all very much in advance, and excuse me if my post is not kosher in any way.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your response. I could only find 1 picture of one club on ebay that matched the set. The gentleman was asking $50, which seemed rather high. I have tried to contact hm. I will search the forums further. I didn't know if there were anything about these particular models that made them less, or more desirable. As far as information to include while selling, I will just study current ads.

Thank you again.

Perhaps I may be of further assistance. Indeed, the irons are from 1957. Distinguished by the Colokrom over Tourney stamping on the back. The M85 designates these were stiff flex True Temper shafts. They may have been designed by Toney Penna, Mac's head designer of the era (Rex or Charley confirm?), but they are not the TP specific model. They should have copper faces. What is the plating condition? Do you have a complete set (2 - 9)? Shaft condition? Excessive rusting or pitting? Grips condition, leather or no? Condition, condition and completeness is the determine factor on value. Depending on the anser's to these questions, +/- $75 at the very most. Sold off a same year set of VGUC M75 Colo's for around that amount a year or so ago. Not much demand for these irons, if not in A+ condition.

Here's a ebay sold comp of an actual set of TP Colokroms in pretty good shape.

The woods are Mac Super Eye-O-Matic of the same vintage (appx.). Cannot make out the model from the posted pictures. While these are decent persimmon woods, they don't hold the same cache as the EOM ones. Again, all about condition. The heads look a bit rough from the posted pics. Especially the driver finish. Conditions of the inserts? What's on the crown? Grips and shafts condition? Any head or hosel cracks in the wood are quite problematic. And should be disclosed if a listing is to have veracity. Not a complete set, lacking a 4 or 5 wood. Not many sold comps on eBay for valuation. Look at the sold listings, not a seller's listing price. Don't want to hazard a guess on a value. Incomplete information.

Much better and more complete pictures would have to be added to any listing to attract interest. Buyers of these types of clubs have knowledge of what they are, and can better determine condition and value from quality pictures than a written description.

Value is always determined by what a singular buyer is willing to pay. Doubt these items would bring forth much of a bidding war for their acquisition.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Perhaps I may be of further assistance. Indeed, the irons are from 1957. Distinguished by the Colokrom over Tourney stamping on the back. The M85 designates these were stiff flex True Temper shafts. They may have been designed by Toney Penna, Mac's head designer of the era (Rex or Charley confirm?), but they are not the TP specific model. They should have copper faces. What is the plating condition? Do you have a complete set (2 - 9)? Shaft condition? Excessive rusting or pitting? Grips condition, leather or no? Condition, condition and completeness is the determine factor on value. Depending on the anser's to these questions, +/- $75 at the very most. Sold off a same year set of VGUC M75 Colo's for around that amount a year or so ago. Not much demand for these irons, if not in A+ condition.

Here's a ebay sold comp of an actual set of TP Colokroms in pretty good shape.

The woods are Mac Super Eye-O-Matic of the same vintage (appx.). Cannot make out the model from the posted pictures. While these are decent persimmon woods, they don't hold the same cache as the EOM ones. Again, all about condition. The heads look a bit rough from the posted pics. Especially the driver finish. Conditions of the inserts? What's on the crown? Grips and shafts condition? Any head or hosel cracks in the wood are quite problematic. And should be disclosed if a listing is to have veracity. Not a complete set, lacking a 4 or 5 wood. Not many sold comps on eBay for valuation. Look at the sold listings, not a seller's listing price. Don't want to hazard a guess on a value. Incomplete information.

Much better and more complete pictures would have to be added to any listing to attract interest. Buyers of these types of clubs have knowledge of what they are, and can better determine condition and value from quality pictures than a written description.

Value is always determined by what a singular buyer is willing to pay. Doubt these items would bring forth much of a bidding war for their acquisition.

Thank you so much for your very thorough response. The generosity of your time involved and the amount of information is greatly appreciated. This is more than I could have hoped for. He is in TN and I am in CO so I will need to make a trip down there to determine all of the answers to your questions. I do have some other photos and in looking at those I'd say they are in good, not great condition. Yes, they are the 2-9 and have the copper face.

I believe I have all of the information I need now, and just need to see them in person and do the proper documentation (visual and informational) before determining how best to handle the clubs. I may even encourage him to donate them to some organization that aims to get new players involved in the sport.

Thank you again for your most helpful and thoughtful response.

I own a set, they aren't worth all that much, but I love to play them. I think I payed 125 for mine, and they are in better shape then the pictures you posted. Mine have the original leather grips, and very little damage to the heads none to the faces, I also have the dual purpose sand fairway wedge, and all matching serial numbers.

I own a set, they aren't worth all that much, but I love to play them. I think I payed 125 for mine, and they are in better shape then the pictures you posted. Mine have the original leather grips, and very little damage to the heads none to the faces, I also have the dual purpose sand fairway wedge, and all matching serial numbers.

Fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to answer. Your information is very helpful. Have a great day.