How Do I Use My Stats To My Advantage?

Pigems

Hey everyone, thanks for stopping in. I’ve been keeping my scorecards for the past 3 seasons in hopes to one day work out my stats and some how use that information to help me continue to improve at golf. So tonight I finally took the time to do the math and now I have all these stats and no clue what to do with them or how to use them to improve. How do you know what’s good and what’s not? How can I use this information? I only used this seasons cards, 15 in total(I’ve played 20 rounds but only kept stats for 15), this is what I came up with, if my math is correct haha.

Unofficial Index. 9.2

Average Score. 83.4

High Score. 90

Low Score. 68

Total Cards. 15

FIR %. 40.7%

GIR% 48.3%

Putts Per 18. 35.5

Putts/Hole. 1.97

Putts Per GIR. 2.09

Birdie %/GIR. 14.9%

Par %/GIR. 53%

Bogie %/GIR. 22.9%

Doubles +/GIR. 0%

Birdies/18. 1.4

Pars/18. 6.5

Bogies/18. 7.1

Doubles/18. 3.0

Tripples +/18. 0.1

1 Putts/18. 3.7

2 Putts/18. 10.5

3 Putts/18. 3.8

4 Putts +/18. 0

I have no idea what to makes of all of this? Is any of it not worth keeping? Is there things I’m not tracking that I should be? Is it useful to keep track of it for any other reason than tracking improvement? Thanks for any and all I for on the subject guy, Happy Friday!! :D

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you’re averaging 8-9 GIRs you should be scoring in the high 70s consistently. Looks like your putting needs work probably around lag putting and making 3-5 footers.

You should look at the shot gained info here (I believe that someone provided a free template or use ShotByShot.com or another statistical analysis program.

If you’re averaging 8-9 GIRs you should be scoring in the high 70s consistently. Looks like your putting needs work probably around lag putting and making 3-5 footers.

You should look at the shot gained info here (I believe that someone provided a free template or use ShotByShot.com or another statistical analysis program.

Damm, that’s kinda depressing, I knew my putting was bad but didn’t know it was that bad haha. Thank you very much for the info though. :)

Putting is the main this I’ve been working on this year, mainly 8’ or Less, I mis a LOT of short putts, I’ve been working on this in my living room daily. Also I’ve been working on the 2 Putt drill from longer distances when I can, mostly before rounds. I’ve also been working on Driver and Fairway wood at the range when I can. Is there any other info I can get from these stats?

How do I find the Shot Gained info? What is it? How do I use it? Thanks again for the help :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

For the fairways, I'd track % missed left or right. For GIR, I'd track % missed left, right, long, or short.

I don’t need to track fairways missed Left/Right, I know that one. 99% Left, 1% Right haha, I don’t miss right with a driver or 3 wood very often. But for GIR that’s a great idea, I’m gonna do that from now on. I don’t miss long and short all that often unless it’s windy or I have a shotty Lie, I’d say definitely miss left more than right, but I’m now curious to see by how much. Thanks for the Idea :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

You are averaging 3 doubles per round and almost Four 3 putts per round.

Why?

Answer why and you'll have a better idea on what to work on.

For example, could be you hit 3-5 tee shots OB every round leading to doubles, or could be you hit approaches to 50+ feet all day making 2 putts difficult, ect ect

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

This coming from a not-so-great (but recently improved) putter so hopefully not too direct but... your putting really sucks. Averaging 4 3-putts is astronomically high and you should be able to cut 2-3 strokes off your score with about 2 weeks practice on lag and short putting. If you can cut 3 strokes out by just not 3-putting so often you'll be averaging 80 and likely shooting in the 70s 50% of the time. Good luck!

Yup, it’s definitely the putting, I’ve gotta get this sorted out. I got out this morning for 18(two 9’s at a 9 hole course)and had a great ball striking day. I shot 76 with 34 putts lol, 7/14 Fir, 12/18 Gir with only two 3 putts. The good news is I got my driver sorted out, got to 2 par 5’s in 2 and missed one with a Pw haha for what would have been 3/4 par 5’s in 2. Had a lot of decent looks at birdie and a few really good looks. Only two dropped though, from inside 10’. I’ll get there!! I’m bound and determined now. Thanks for all the advice and info guys. It’s much appreciated. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

You are averaging 3 doubles per round and almost Four 3 putts per round.

Why?

Answer why and you'll have a better idea on what to work on.

For example, could be you hit 3-5 tee shots OB every round leading to doubles, or could be you hit approaches to 50+ feet all day making 2 putts difficult, ect ect

It’s putting, after seeing it laid out on paper and you guys confirming it I’m certain now. I might lose a ball once every 2/3 rounds. Typically because I pulled driver when I shouldn’t have or got a little to brave and bit off more than I could chew, or there’s always the odd bounce out of no where that kicks your ball in some funky direction. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I got out again today for 18 at the same place, 38/42 for 80. Would have been a round in the 70’s if not a a couple penalties off the tee today on the back 9, one being a hooked 6 iron on a par 3 which was really strange, I haven’t taken a par 3 penalty all season. The putter came through today though, I only hit 9/18 GIR but managed up and down a few times and had 8 onenputts today, none from inside 5’ and I made 2 birdies which was nice for 28 total putts. Thanks again for all the advice guys!! :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I got out again today for 18 at the same place, 38/42 for 80. Would have been a round in the 70's if not a a couple penalties off the tee today on the back 9, one being a hooked 6 iron on a par 3 which was really strange, I haven't taken a par 3 penalty all season. The putter came through today though, I only hit 9/18 GIR but managed up and down a few times and had 8 onenputts today, none from inside 5' and I made 2 birdies which was nice for 28 total putts. Thanks again for all the advice guys!! :)

I think you'll find that if you can continue to hit 50% of GIRS and keep your putting average in the high 20s/low 30s, you'll usually be closer to shooting even par than you will be to shooting 85. That assumes, of course, that you can keep penalty shots and doubles/worse off the card.

The best putter on tour (Phil) averages 13.5 putts per side. This is godly putting and a good thing to aspire to. You are averaging 17.75 putts per side. Knowing where the pinnacle of putting greatness is, is really helpful for me. Sometimes I count my putts at the turn to see how I stack up to old Phil. The closer I get, the better! Sometimes my scorecard looks bad, but I can glean some success from it. I may have hit 1 or 2 GIR but putted 14 times, well this gives me a feeling of success in one area and a good idea of what I need to work on.

The other important stat to focus on is GIR (greens in regulation). A GIR means on the green in one stroke on a par 3, on in two on a par 4, on in 3 on a par 5. You hit 48% of GIR, thats basically 4 or 5 GIR per side. Henrik Stenson hits 7 or 6 GIR per side. That's what godly GIR looks like. Again something to aspire to.

Now with both examples, these pros are playing very difficult courses from the tips. So its technically not fair to compare yourself to them. But, its an approximation and its fun to try to chase these numbers. The point is, that 13 putts per side and 7 GIR per side is a good ceiling of greatness to measure yourself by and to aspire to. If you achieve both on one side of the scorecard, you will have had a great round. Its a fun and simple way to look at these stats.

You can get deeper into it. For example, wedge play (how close to the hole you wedge it) will have a significant impact on Putts per side. By the same token, where you place your tee shots will have a significant impact on GIR. As you continue to try to figure out how to reduce these two numbers, you will shoot lower scores. The entire game revolves around these two numbers IMO.

Try to get a GIR on every hole.

7 GIR PER SIDE = GREATNESS

Try to 1 putt every time.

13 PUTTS PER SIDE = GREATNESS

It's ball striking - doesn't mean you have to ignore putting or short game but it is ball striking.

Even at the highest level.

Two tour players often can been seen playing at my club. So I've followed them the past few years. Their numbers are stark examples of how important ball striking is versus short game/putting.

SG tee SG approach SG green SG putt fedex standing

Stalling 2018 131st 35th 125th 132nd 107

Stalling 2017 90th 36th 140th 161st 101

Malnati 2018 179th 178th 32nd 8th 163rd

Malnati 2018 151st 181st 41th 16th 167th

Malnati is losing his card this year and into the web.com playoff - he has a world class short game and putting - Stallings will keep his card though with, for a tour pro, a below average short game and putting except he has world class iron game. The other big advantage that Stalling has over Malnati is length off the tee - he is typically in the upper 290s while Malnati is in the 280s. Something to chew on when consider the long term prospects of your game.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

https://drive.google...3B4eV84Q1U/view

These trokes gained analysis charts are helpful in understanding scoring relative to lie and distances.

http://www.golfwrx.c...ined-dashboard/

I appreciate the GolfWRX members that created the free to use excel spreadsheet. Initially it takes time to get used to the stat keeping on the course and spreadsheet entry after playing however, the detail helps identify the specific needs. Distance, club, lie and proximity are accounted for in the strokes gained analysis.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: DarkSpeed X [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small:  DarkSpeed LS [17.5*], TD Gloss 70; Iomic Evolution
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [19*], :kbs: PGH 85; Iomic Evolution
  • Irons & Wedges:  King Tour [4i & 5i], King CB [6i to Pw]; UST Mamiya Recoil 110; Iomic Evolution
  • Wedges: S23, 610; UST Mamiya Recoil 125 Prototype; Iomic Evolution
  • Putter: :cobra-small: Grandsport-35 [24]; :garsen: Quad Tour NT TPE
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: :cobra-small: -Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ w/Alphard Club Booster V2;