2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Help choosing the right iron shaft- Something in between C-Taper lite and Tour-V

marlowe70

Hi folks, looking for the right shaft for my irons.

Currently I play 716 CBs with KBS C-Taper lite x-flex. I have the odd situation that half (9 to 3) and full swings result in the same distance with a different trajectory.

Before that I have played KBS Tour V x-flex and that never happened. The feeling of the Tour V was very nice, but at times when my swing was a little off or in cold weather I could not make the shaft work properly. It felt like too much shaft for me.

For those familiar with the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer my numbers are 83 - 8 1 5 2. The app recommends DG X 100, KBS C-Taper X, PX LZ 6.5.

A shaft that I would like to try is the N.S. Modus 3 120 which the Mizuno app recommends at 8th place.

Any recommendations?

Yes, I know I should do a fitting. I have my eyes on the Srixon 785 and they are not easy to take hold of in good ole Germany and being a lefty doesn´t help either.

Thanks in advance.

Modus 120X will "feel" softer than C taper X and X100 by quite a bit although how it launches the ball will come down to how you time the shaft. If the Mizzy optimizer suggests shafts like CT and X100 for you, it means you're probably fairly aggressive transition wise and you could load modus a little too much. It's very similar to PX LZ though, so if you hit that shaft and you like how it kicks a bit, you will likely find modus 120 enjoyable, too.

Currently I play 716 CBs with KBS C-Taper lite x-flex. I have the odd situation that half (9 to 3) and full swings result in the same distance with a different trajectory.

Before that I have played KBS Tour V x-flex and that never happened. The feeling of the Tour V was very nice, but at times when my swing was a little off or in cold weather I could not make the shaft work properly. It felt like too much shaft for me.

For those familiar with the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer my numbers are 83 - 8 1 5 2. The app recommends DG X 100, KBS C-Taper X, PX LZ 6.5.

A shaft that I would like to try is the N.S. Modus 3 120 which the Mizuno app recommends at 8th place.

Any recommendations?

Yes, I know I should do a fitting. I have my eyes on the Srixon 785 and they are not easy to take hold of in good ole Germany and being a lefty doesn´t help either.

Thanks in advance.

Your Mizuno DNA shows an aggressive swing with a very late release. This is only educated guesswork (forum musings) so some serious testing will be needed to give you the right answer. IMO the soft butt and very soft middle of the Modus 120 will be too unstable to stand up to your aggression and release, I think this is partly why the C Taper lite is letting you down.

Srixon offer the KBS $-Taper (S flex) which fits your request of hitting the middle ground in bend profile terms between C Taper lite and Tour V so this might be a good place to start.

If the Tour V x flex felt like too much at times, I would say the c taper x is definately NOT what you are looking for. It will feel alot stiffer especially with half and 3/4 shots.

If you like the feel of the tour v and still have the set, you could just soft step them. Would give you a nice in between flex.

If the Tour V x flex felt like too much at times, I would say the c taper x is definately NOT what you are looking for. It will feel alot stiffer especially with half and 3/4 shots.

If you like the feel of the tour v and still have the set, you could just soft step them. Would give you a nice in between flex.

In terms of C-Taper I was thinking S not X. Had them in my last set of wedges and the distance control was very good, but not the nicest feeling shaft.

And yes using the Tour-V and softstepping came to my mind, too, but I wanted to spare the work. :swoon:

Thanks for your reply.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Your Mizuno DNA shows an aggressive swing with a very late release. This is only educated guesswork (forum musings) so some serious testing will be needed to give you the right answer. IMO the soft butt and very soft middle of the Modus 120 will be too unstable to stand up to your aggression and release, I think this is partly why the C Taper lite is letting you down.

Srixon offer the KBS $-Taper (S flex) which fits your request of hitting the middle ground in bend profile terms between C Taper lite and Tour V so this might be a good place to start.

With the $-Taper, do you think S straight in or hardstepped? Any thoughts on C-Taper S?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Modus 120X will "feel" softer than C taper X and X100 by quite a bit although how it launches the ball will come down to how you time the shaft. If the Mizzy optimizer suggests shafts like CT and X100 for you, it means you're probably fairly aggressive transition wise and you could load modus a little too much. It's very similar to PX LZ though, so if you hit that shaft and you like how it kicks a bit, you will likely find modus 120 enjoyable, too.

I've played both shafts in S flex and currently play Modus 120's.

I'd try out the Modus or PX LZ to see how those fare for you.

Hit the Modus 120 into a net. Felt very nice, but cannot say much about ballflight. May give this a try with outdoor testing.

If the Modus and PX LZ play similar I might get into some trouble. Play the LZ (6.0) in my current set of wedges and have some outliers distance wise. When I really go after it (which I rarely do with wedges, but on occasion) some shots carry 10 to 15 yards farther than expected. Thats not a nice surprise for a wedge shot.

Weird swing I have...

Thanks for helping out.

With the $-Taper, do you think S straight in or hardstepped? Any thoughts on C-Taper S?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

$-Taper S straight in would be my guess, KBS shafts are on the strong side when looking at base frequency. Based on your reasonable like of the Tour V and you comments on the C Taper Lite, I don’t think the standard C Taper will be a profile you like. C Taper Lite and C Taper share exactly the same profile, the standard just has more weight and overall strength. It has a much flatter EI slope than the Tour V which is much stronger butt through mid.

$-taper has some of Tour V’s butt strength and a little more tip strength, it has a steeper slope in EI terms, sort of a marriage between C Taper and KBS Tour.

You need to do your best to try the shaft, I’d never recommend a blind buy. Don’t forget your distance variations on partial swings might be as much swing related as shaft related, finessing shots with your aggression and release would potentially have the likelihood of going full distances from time to time.

• Like 1

In terms of C-Taper I was thinking S not X. Had them in my last set of wedges and the distance control was very good, but not the nicest feeling shaft.

And yes using the Tour-V and softstepping came to my mind, too, but I wanted to spare the work. :swoon:

Thanks for your reply.

I currently have the tour v x in an over length build (so basically soft stepped). I came from the c taper(stiff 120), and to me they feel way better. I have a shorter aggressive tempo, I'm 6'3 220lbs and take an aggressive swing, I can get steep at times and for some reason the c taper seemed to make this worse. I think it could be the profile or weight distribution (butt heavy) but I would somehow lose the feel for the head during transition/downswing and would cause weird compensations.

I find I can feel/time the tour v better for some reason. Also, miss hits with the c taper felt awful(hollow) and IMO they did not feel great in cold conditions either.

I would say that you will need to keep an eye on swing weights with both models. No experience with $ taper. But they tend to swing weight lighter, so I would request a slightly heavier swing weight imo.

I currently have the tour v x in an over length build (so basically soft stepped). I came from the c taper(stiff 120), and to me they feel way better. I have a shorter aggressive tempo, I'm 6'3 220lbs and take an aggressive swing, I can get steep at times and for some reason the c taper seemed to make this worse. I think it could be the profile or weight distribution (butt heavy) but I would somehow lose the feel for the head during transition/downswing and would cause weird compensations.

I find I can feel/time the tour v better for some reason. Also, miss hits with the c taper felt awful(hollow) and IMO they did not feel great in cold conditions either.

I would say that you will need to keep an eye on swing weights with both models. No experience with $ taper. But they tend to swing weight lighter, so I would request a slightly heavier swing weight imo.

I`m 6` 235 lbs and have an aggressive swing, I can get steep sometimes... :taunt:

That`s interesting to hear about your experience. Regarding swing weight...I am building MOI matched anyways..

Yeah it was odd, or more so unexpected. I have my clubs between 3/4-1/2 inch over (diy moi). And when I had them first built(w/midsize grips) the set was C7-D3. Put in 10g tip weights now back to D2-D7 and feels way better. Still might need some tape on a couple but didn't want to put over 10g of tape on the back.