2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

College Golf Private Jet Travel

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played D1 for UConn, definitely NOT the greatest team as far as the rest of the country but we could compete in the Northeast. We flew to a few events every year, and it was on a private jet :good:

-Jordan

I just saw the UConn team playing in a tournament at grand cypress. It was during the Golfweek Invitational. I know a player that is thinking about going to Uconn.

Private Jets are used more than people think.

What are we talking here? Charter/School owned/NetJets? 737/Gulfstream/Lear/Cessna?

The planes belong to rich alumnus/supporters of the program. It's fairly common for schools with deep pocketed donors.

Are you sure about that? That sounds like a pretty solid violation of NCAA rules - along the same lines as the Maurice Clarett car issues and Reggie Bush house issues.

I'm no experit in NCAA litigation, but I think donors can donate money for leasing a private jet, but not letting a team ride on theirs.

However, as convoluted and silly as the NCAA and their enforcement of the rules can be, it wouldn't surprise me if you were right.

What am I saying - I'm a mod, I should understand it perfectly. :good:

The planes belong to rich alumnus/supporters of the program. It's fairly common for schools with deep pocketed donors.

Are you sure about that? That sounds like a pretty solid violation of NCAA rules - along the same lines as the Maurice Clarett car issues and Reggie Bush house issues.

I'm no experit in NCAA litigation, but I think donors can donate money for leasing a private jet, but not letting a team ride on theirs.

However, as convoluted and silly as the NCAA and their enforcement of the rules can be, it wouldn't surprise me if you were right.

What am I saying - I'm a mod, I should understand it perfectly. :good:

Always work arounds for any of these types of situations...

e.g. I own private jet, team "leases" it from me at stupid low rate....I get the equivalent back in tickets/gear/blah blah blah to what the team just paid to "lease" my jet...etc.

Money goes around in a big circle....which is why the current NCAA regulations are a joke.

I understand the idea behind it...but really now...

With the amount of revenue generated via ticket sales/merchandising/licensing/etc. (especially with sports like football/basketball) it's just plain stupid and naive to believe athletes are not being "compensated" under the table.

Wasn't it just last year the University of Texas Longhorns set a merchandising royalties revenue record of like 8.2 million dollars because of their national football championship?

That's just one aspect in one school....add them all up, then tack on revenue from TV rights, ticket sales, etc.

CBS has like a 6 billion dollar deal to cover NCAA tournaments. That's not including the bowl games and such. (all worth 250k)

NCAA is Pro Sport...it may pretend to be amature...but in reality it's pro sport and very profitable sport to add.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

http://www1.ncaa.org/finance/2006-07_budget.pdf

Crazy dollar amounts...

Half a billion dollars in operating revnue!!!

The thing with not for profit is not how much money they generate, but how at the end of the day they are not "making money."....all money is diverted back into various areas.

Doesn't mean the top brass doesn't make big $$...just means at the end of the year they net close to zero.

When you generate 500 million in revenue a year... I wouldn't classify the NCAA as "amature"

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

I played D1 for UConn, definitely NOT the greatest team as far as the rest of the country but we could compete in the Northeast. We flew to a few events every year, and it was on a private jet :good:

-Jordan

Dude, what kind of scores were you shooting to get on that team or what tournaments did you do well in to get noticed? Interested in that uni

• 3 weeks later...

I have committed to play golf for Oklahoma State next year and we dont use the plane for every single tournament we go to and its not as cheap as everyone is saying it is. The only reason we use it is because it is more convient for us. For example if you were flying commercial the flight times wouldnt be the same and it wouldnt be able to get us back for class like our private jet will.

I have committed to play golf for Oklahoma State next year and we dont use the plane for every single tournament we go to and its not as cheap as everyone is saying it is. The only reason we use it is because it is more convient for us. For example if you were flying commercial the flight times wouldnt be the same and it wouldnt be able to get us back for class like our private jet will.

Seriously? Thats pretty impressive...

I'm assuming, by your bag, that you're not Peter Uihlein, but congrats on joining him at Ok St. It's definitely recognized as the best golf program to prepare you for the PGA Tour. It's an awesome accomplishment!

NO its not peter its DREW PAGE

i checked his profile and it said in one of his posts that he signed it with DREW so i just checked that with the names of those who commited this year on golfweek

I have committed to play golf for Oklahoma State next year and we don't use the plane for every single tournament we go to and its not as cheap as everyone is saying it is. The only reason we use it is because it is more convenient for us. For example if you were flying commercial the flight times wouldn't be the same and it wouldn't be able to get us back for class like our private jet will.

If I wasn't a Texas grad, I would congratulate heartily, tell you what a major accomplishment that is, express my jealousy at your obviously superior game, and wish you well.

But because I'm a Longhorn, I won't do any of those things. :shout:

(Way to go man, that's awesome. Good luck!)

(Oh, and please kick the crap outta OU whenever you play them. Thanks in advance.)

[quote name='thsgolfer61' post='797151' date='Nov 20 2007, 01:38 PM']I have committed to play golf for Oklahoma State next year and we dont use the plane for every single tournament we go to and its not as cheap as everyone is saying it is. The only reason we use it is because it is more convient for us. For example if you were flying commercial the flight times wouldnt be the same and it wouldnt be able to get us back for class like our private jet will.[/quote]

Hope you don't mind:

[quote][size=4][color="#4169e1"][b]Tuscola golfer Page rides west with Cowboys

[/b][/color][/size][size=1][color="#4169e1"]by Romando Dixson, [email protected]
published September 18, 2007 12:15 am [/color][/size][color="#4169e1"]

WAYNESVILLE — Tuscola senior Drew Page started the recruiting process thinking he would play college golf in the ACC.

He had that opportunity. But in the end, Page believed Oklahoma State had more to offer than the ACC schools that showed interest in him.

Page said he chose Oklahoma State over Wake Forest and N.C. State, even though the Cowboys didn't offer the most scholarship money.

"I always thought I'd play golf in the ACC," Page said Monday. "When I started getting recruiting letters, I had my mind set on playing in the ACC. It didn't matter which school. I always thought I was going to stay in the ACC.

"It's not always about which school gives you more money," Page added. "It's really about the opportunity and where you're going to be most successful."

Oklahoma State, a member of the Big 12 Conference, has won 10 national championships in men's golf. Page led the Mountaineers to the

NCHSAA 3-A state championship in the spring of 2006 — the same year the Cowboys won their last national title.

"The facilities there, and program in general, are amazing. And I don't think there's anything like it," Page said. "You come out there to play golf, and they expect you to be successful."

Page has earned the Mountain Athletic Conference Player of the Year award in each of his three seasons at Tuscola. He also has twice been named the Citizen-Times All-WNC Golfer of the Year.

Last season, Page had a nine-hole average of 34.8 and an 18-hole average of 69.6.

Tuscola coach Tommy Carswell said Oklahoma State, in Stillwater, Okla., would be a good fit for Page, who plans to major in business.

"I think he wanted to be challenged, and Drew responds to golf challenges really well," Carswell said. "I think it'll be the driving force Drew needs to move on to the next level."[/color][/quote]

[quote name='littleprov1x' post='797180' date='Nov 20 2007, 04:59 PM']I'm assuming, by your bag, that you're not Peter Uihlein, but congrats on joining him at Ok St. It's definitely recognized as the best golf program to prepare you for the PGA Tour. It's an awesome accomplishment![/quote]

[quote name='ccpgolf91' post='797474' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:31 PM'][quote name='thsgolfer61' post='797151' date='Nov 20 2007, 04:38 PM']I have committed to play golf for Oklahoma State next year and we dont use the plane for every single tournament we go to and its not as cheap as everyone is saying it is. The only reason we use it is because it is more convient for us. For example if you were flying commercial the flight times wouldnt be the same and it wouldnt be able to get us back for class like our private jet will.[/quote]

Seriously? Thats pretty impressive...
[/quote]

[quote name='Charlie_Foxtrot' post='797516' date='Nov 20 2007, 10:11 PM'][quote name='thsgolfer61' post='797151' date='Nov 20 2007, 01:38 PM']I have committed to play golf for Oklahoma State next year and we don't use the plane for every single tournament we go to and its not as cheap as everyone is saying it is. The only reason we use it is because it is more convenient for us. For example if you were flying commercial the flight times wouldn't be the same and it wouldn't be able to get us back for class like our private jet will.[/quote]

[color="#ffa500"]If I wasn't a Texas grad, I would congratulate heartily, tell you what a major accomplishment that is, express my jealousy at your obviously superior game, and wish you well.

But because I'm a Longhorn, I won't do any of those things. [/color] :shout:

[size=1][color="#c0c0c0"](Way to go man, that's awesome. Good luck!)

(Oh, and please kick the crap outta OU whenever you play them. Thanks in advance.)
[/color][/size]
[/quote]

[quote name='Missinglink08' post='797885' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:56 AM'][quote name='thsgolfer61' post='797151' date='Nov 20 2007, 05:38 PM']I have committed to play golf for Oklahoma State next year and we dont use the plane for every single tournament we go to and its not as cheap as everyone is saying it is. The only reason we use it is because it is more convient for us. For example if you were flying commercial the flight times wouldnt be the same and it wouldnt be able to get us back for class like our private jet will.[/quote]

What's up drew.... Congrats. I'm Mike Murray, i remember meeting you at golfweek. I'm good friends with Jordan L.
[/quote]

[quote name='Charlie_Foxtrot' post='798002' date='Nov 21 2007, 11:53 AM'][quote name='thsgolfer61' post='797151' date='Nov 20 2007, 01:38 PM']I have committed to play golf for Oklahoma State next year and we dont use the plane for every single tournament we go to and its not as cheap as everyone is saying it is. The only reason we use it is because it is more convient for us. For example if you were flying commercial the flight times wouldnt be the same and it wouldnt be able to get us back for class like our private jet will.[/quote]

Hope you don't mind:

[quote][size=4][color="#4169e1"][b]Tuscola golfer Page rides west with Cowboys

[/b][/color][/size][size=1][color="#4169e1"]by Romando Dixson, [email protected]
published September 18, 2007 12:15 am [/color][/size][color="#4169e1"]

WAYNESVILLE — Tuscola senior Drew Page started the recruiting process thinking he would play college golf in the ACC.

He had that opportunity. But in the end, Page believed Oklahoma State had more to offer than the ACC schools that showed interest in him.

Page said he chose Oklahoma State over Wake Forest and N.C. State, even though the Cowboys didn't offer the most scholarship money.

"I always thought I'd play golf in the ACC," Page said Monday. "When I started getting recruiting letters, I had my mind set on playing in the ACC. It didn't matter which school. I always thought I was going to stay in the ACC.

"It's not always about which school gives you more money," Page added. "It's really about the opportunity and where you're going to be most successful."

Oklahoma State, a member of the Big 12 Conference, has won 10 national championships in men's golf. Page led the Mountaineers to the

NCHSAA 3-A state championship in the spring of 2006 — the same year the Cowboys won their last national title.

"The facilities there, and program in general, are amazing. And I don't think there's anything like it," Page said. "You come out there to play golf, and they expect you to be successful."

Page has earned the Mountain Athletic Conference Player of the Year award in each of his three seasons at Tuscola. He also has twice been named the Citizen-Times All-WNC Golfer of the Year.

Last season, Page had a nine-hole average of 34.8 and an 18-hole average of 69.6.

Tuscola coach Tommy Carswell said Oklahoma State, in Stillwater, Okla., would be a good fit for Page, who plans to major in business.

"I think he wanted to be challenged, and Drew responds to golf challenges really well," Carswell said. "I think it'll be the driving force Drew needs to move on to the next level."[/color][/quote]
[/quote]

Littleprov1x- I know my bag didnt look very impressive lol. It had been so long since i had been on here i didnt even remember it was up. My bag as of now is in my signature if you must know haha. But thank you for the compliment.

ccpgolf91- Yes seriously haha and thank you very much.

Charlie_Foxtrot- I may not even want to say anything back since you're a longhorn haha. Once again we choked in the second half. But thats nothing new. I was at the game too. Thanks for the encouragement and i hope we can beat OU!
And no i didnt mind at all for posting the article. Where did you find it lol?

Missinglink08- Mike what up man. You holding down jl in florida still?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='franklingolf07' post='774622' date='Oct 31 2007, 07:40 PM']I flew from Newark to West Palm Beach once and Seton Hall's golf team was on the plane, it was preety cool talking to the guys and finding out about college golf but I doubt they ever take a private jet as they are in the bottom of D-1[/quote]

They are the bottom, but Seton Hall is pretty frugal always.... I loved the school while I was there, didnt play golf. But the things they would try to pass off as huge expenditures was a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Seton Hall grad here, too...they have had minor success at smaller D1 tournaments, but whereas major D1 programs take jets, etc., the Hall drives their team around in an old Econoline....nice, eh?

Vessel Player III Stand (White)

TaylorMade SIM 9.0* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6x
TaylorMade SIM Ti 15* Aldila XTorsion 70x
TaylorMade M4 19* Hybrid Fujikura Atmos S

Srixon Z u85 23* Graphite Design Tour AD-U 95s

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Project X LZ 5.5 

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore Tour Rack 52-10 | 56-10 | 60-10 Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Bettinardi Studio Stock 7 34" 
Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

I played collegiately at Villanova before transferring back home to North Carolina. While at Nova we played mostly in what I think was District 2 which included schools like Seton Hall, Navy, W&M, Penn, Delaware, Temple, etc. We traveled exclusively by van, but generally it depends on the overall budget of the school.

Generally schools from big time conferences will have revenues from both a D1 football and D1 basketball team along with booster donations and general endowments. So it's no surprise that OK State and others fly private from time to time. A place like Coastal Carolina clearly has a commitment to a high level of college golf which might explain the alternate travel methods.

• 1 month later...