What is the one rule you wish could be changed

Stroke and distance isn’t to make it equivalent to breaking a rule with a two stroke penalty.

Was watching a replay of the Solheim Cup the other day. On the 9th hope, Ciganda missed the fairway and it took her two shots to get the ball back to the fairway...not advancing the ball at all.

She had already hit a provisional into the fairway in case it was lost.

Allowing her to ignore her first ball (not look for it) and proceed with the provisional lying 2, as you would suggest, would be absolutely silly. A bad shot can indeed cost two strokes, and it did cost her two strokes.

You are proposing a fundamental change in the way the game is played, with less risk on losing a golf ball or OB.

• Like 2

No, I'm quite sure I'm familiar enough with the rules regarding penalty areas, I can't be bothered with the rules regarding water hazards anymore though. It would be kind of you to, for once, actually answer the questions presented to you.

Edit: Make your way back to September in this thread and pretty much everything was covered back then, it seems like that discussion was slightly more constructive, or at least started that way. But, unsurprisingly, it didn't really lead anywhere.

• Like 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Actually, it wouldn't, if there's no Reference Point that qualifies. That's the point I was trying to make, that you can treat it exactly the same as a Yellow Penalty Area, and end up having to take stroke and distance in almost every case. But again, I agree, I see a clear logical differentiation between a ball that has missed the entire playing field, and one that has found an unfortunate position ON the playing field. But you're right, a ball lost in deep jungle shouldn't be penalized MORE than a ball that missed the jungle entirely and went OB.
I said it before, and @LICC completely ignored it. Every penalty of this type costs a stroke, and every penalty describes a specific location to play from. These are two aspects of every single penalty in which you cannot play your ball as it lies. If you want to define stroke and distance as two penalties, you can also describe penalty relief for a red penalty area as two penalties. One stroke, and you MUST drop within a prescribed area. For a yellow penalty area, that could mean one stroke, and you must drop hundreds of yards back from where the ball was last in the General Area. One penalty, two parts, every single time.
If you read Tufts, he suggests that the consistent thing to do would be to use stroke and distance every time you cannot play the ball as it lies. This includes 4 basic situations: OB, lost ball, unplayable lie, and ball lost in a hazard (at the time he was writing). I'd recommend that anyone interested in really understand the rules give it a read.

• Like 1

In this respect I do not agree with Tuft's view as losing a ball altogether is different from knowing where it is on the course but not being able to make a stroke at it. Besides, IMO this view of his does not really help in understanding the current Rules as they differ quite substantially from his view.

This question has been raised on this forum many times and none of the times the person presenting that question has accepted the given answers. Nevertheless, I will try to give my view on it.

A penalty area (maybe a pond) is on the course so playing from a penalty area is allowed. Out of bounds is not on the course so playing from outside the course is not allowed. Sometimes it is actually possible to play from a penalty area, even from a pond if the ball lies in an area dry enough. I cannot imagine how we could treat different areas of a pond differently but same rule must apply to all balls within the margins of that pond. Thus a penalty area must be treated differently from OB even though sometimes the ball is so deep in the water that it cannot be found nor played.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The simple reason that the two are not the same is to make the game harder. There are areas of a golf course that are defined certain ways for the simple reason of making the game a challenge. If you think it’s challenging enough that’s fine. But it’s perfectly logical to say that a bunker is defined as something different than a waist area. A bunker is worse. The rules define it so. Rules define out of bounds as worse than the bottom of a pond. It’s simply a definition of a section of a golf course and the only reason they do that is to make the game harder. They apply that rule and it’s definition by making it more penal. Again, you simply want the game to be easier than it is. I understand.

• Like 1

I have found there is nothing easy about this game. Which, while being frustrating, is also part of its attraction. Not trying to be too philosophical here, but I think there is a lot more to this game than hitting a ball, finding it and hitting it again. You can learn a lot about a person (and yourself) on not how they play golf, but how they handle playing golf.

Their explanation included that the added danger of people off the course getting hit by a ball needs an added penalty to disincentivize golfers from hitting it OB. Which is ridiculous and irrational. You can just follow along like sheep and try to defend this no matter how irrational, but I question it as a bad and illogical rule.

The biggest difference between a ball in a Penalty area and a ball OB is permission. You are specifically permitted to play a shot from a penalty area of you can, and choose to. You are specifically NOT permitted to play a shot from OB. The logical reason is that this is NOT within the property dedicated to playing golf. You aren't permitted to trespass into a neighbor's property, you are not permitted to play from the public street, you simply have no right to play golf from somewhere that's not on the golf course's property. If you are permitted to play the shot, but are physically are unable to play it (too deep in the water, up in a tree, deep in thorn bushes, as a few examples) you're not required to go back to the tee. In this way, the penalties for Penalty Area relief and Unplayable Lie relief are similar. A ball OB is most similar to a lost ball, and those penalties are identical.