Cleveland 588p...

wayneebaby

talk amongst yourselves
Here's a topic: Cleveland 588p irons. Why do Jonathan Kaye and (earlier this year) David Toms still play these? Does anybody here play them? I really like the way they look with that funny cavity on the back. I think they look like great clubs, how much is a good price for a set of these? Thanks everyone!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a topic: Cleveland 588p irons.  Why do Jonathan Kaye and (earlier this year) David Toms still play these?  Does anybody here play them?  I really like the way they look with that funny cavity on the back.  I think they look like great clubs, how much is a good price for a set of these?  Thanks everyone!

68598[/snapback]

wayneebaby,

I just stole the best looking set of these off of ebay for $400.00 shipped. Satin tour issue. I tell you they are wonderful looking heads. Compact heads that look fantastic. Soft and solid feel. One of the best I have ever hit. Solid all the way. Probably the same reason why the pro still like them. Same goes for the old Taylor Made 300 forged. They are very popular out on tour.

here are some pics of the first set I had a foolishly sold a year ago compared to a Taylor Made 300

easyyy,

You're right, those satin ones do look great! Although, I think the "vintage" rusty look suits these sticks nicely, too. That rusty pic is from a set I just bought on ebay earlier today. I'm really pumped to get them, I've never hit these but I love the ta1 and cg2 models. I'm also very partial to a raw finish on any iron. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. How forgiving have you found the 588p to be? I'm hoping they're a little easier than my MP37s.

easyyy,

You're right, those satin ones do look great!  Although, I think the "vintage" rusty look suits these sticks nicely, too.  That rusty pic is from a set I just bought on ebay earlier today.  I'm really pumped to get them, I've never hit these but I love the ta1 and cg2 models.  I'm also very partial to a raw finish on any iron.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.  How forgiving have you found the 588p to be?  I'm hoping they're a little easier than my MP37s.

68625[/snapback]

Nice pickup!

Currently playing a set of TA1's and have another new set that I just shafted with Tour Concepts. I wish they were raw, but didn't want to hassle with removing the chrome and weight loss. I LOVE RAW IRONS! :tongue: I wish OEM's would start releasing raw and black options for irons. I think they are missing the boat as MANY golfers LOVE black and raw wedges.

easyyy,

You're right, those satin ones do look great!  Although, I think the "vintage" rusty look suits these sticks nicely, too.  That rusty pic is from a set I just bought on ebay earlier today.  I'm really pumped to get them, I've never hit these but I love the ta1 and cg2 models.  I'm also very partial to a raw finish on any iron.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.  How forgiving have you found the 588p to be?  I'm hoping they're a little easier than my MP37s.

68625[/snapback]

Rusty 588P's really are nice. I had a set of them few years ago and they are called RTG 588P. Chrome and RTG 588's are more desirable than other 588's(satin cast & melonite black). I wish that Cleveland will bring the design back since I'm also fan of those irons.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Max 7 wood

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

easyyy,

68625[/snapback]

I never had the old set out to the course. The new ones just got here last week and it freaking snowing as I write. :help:

The times I hit the 588's at the range, I can remember a few things. I was hitting them great. I was shocked about how solid the head felt. Solid and surprisingly solfter than I was expecting. Forgiveness? Well, with irons I have allways had a hard time assessing the forgiveness of an iron with out a lot of time under the belt. With out using the irons over a long period of time it is hard for me to determine forgiveness. The heads are shorter heel to toe than the typical cacity back (tm 300 forged, titleist cb's, etc) so you could conclude they are probably less forgiving. I didnt knowtice anything though.

Great head and great design. Love these things. :tongue:

I have multiple sets of 588P's and they were my every day sticks until a few months ago when Mp-32s arrived ...

I am in the process of reshafting one set as the only complaint I have was with the original lightweight shaft. They are very solid heads, compact and great view from the top.

I won't sell them as they aren't worth much on the open market ... they will be back up sticks once reshafted ...

• 2 years later...

Chrome and RTG 588's are more desirable than other 588's(satin cast & melonite black).

Just curious - but why is that?

Heard something about a softer - possibly forged version being offered either very limited or tour only....can someone confirm this?

I've seen sets that were "tour issued" and they have much more significant bag chatter over my 588 satins - non TI - possibly due to the softer metal? or just more use?

Anyway - very solid set with the right shaft....although I'd have to disagree with them being considered "soft". My 300's, side-by-side, felt much softer/less clicky....but those are in the shop right now and the 588's are in the bag - so not that big of a deal.