2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New R7 Quad TP 425

TeeBonZ

WTF Are They Thinking???
Ok, I was just thumbing through my new Golfsmith Store catalog and came across the new TM R7 Quad TP 425 driver. Maybe I'm crazy but how in the hell can they charge $799.00 for this club when all the other new drivers are $299.00 - $399.00. I just looked and the New Cally FT3, Ping G5, Nike SQ, Mizuno etc. are all $400 to $500 less. I realize that the TM comes with a FUJI but hell you can get a pretty damn good Fuji for $400.00. Is this driver really that much better than the others to warrant the price difference :tongue:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,  I was just thumbing through my new Golfsmith Store catalog and came across the new TM R7 Quad TP 425 driver.  Maybe I'm crazy but how in the hell can they charge $799.00 for this club when all the other new drivers are $299.00 - $399.00.  I just looked and the New Cally FT3, Ping G5, Nike SQ, Mizuno etc. are all $400 to $500 less.  I realize that the TM comes with a FUJI but hell you can get a pretty damn good Fuji for $400.00.  Is this driver really that much better than the others to warrant the price difference :tongue:

71771[/snapback]

They can charge that much as long as people are willing to pay. I guess they can justify the price when you consider the amount of people willing to pay $599-$699 for a TP last year.

Hungrymarine hit the nail on the head. As long as a consumer is willing to pay $799 for a driver or other club, a manufacturer(s) will charge that price. Just look around this site and you'll see people willing to pay just about anything for the latest and greatest product. For example, the Ozik shaft that goes for $1,000. If you had one, you could put it in BST and it would sell almost immediately.

Ok,  I was just thumbing through my new Golfsmith Store catalog and came across the new TM R7 Quad TP 425 driver.  Maybe I'm crazy but how in the hell can they charge $799.00 for this club when all the other new drivers are $299.00 - $399.00.  I just looked and the New Cally FT3, Ping G5, Nike SQ, Mizuno etc. are all $400 to $500 less.  I realize that the TM comes with a FUJI but hell you can get a pretty damn good Fuji for $400.00.  Is this driver really that much better than the others to warrant the price difference :tongue:

71771[/snapback]

They can charge that much as long as people are willing to pay. I guess they can justify the price when you consider the amount of people willing to pay $599-$699 for a TP last year.

71790[/snapback]

I agree with this to a point. It just appears weird to me when you open up a retail catalog and see everyone else's latest and greatest selling for $400 to $500 less. To me that is them saying "Our driver is far superior to anything on the market now by $400 to $500" and I don't think it is. I guess that if it is your "Holy Grail" than you can't put a price on it but IMO they are screwing the public with this price. Again this is just MO, which I'm entitled to :help: .

Regular is $399, TP is $799. Same as when the first r7 came out if I'm not mistaken.To me, paying $800 for a single club is crazy, if I were going to pay for $800 for a driver it better guarantee me at least 12 fairways and 310 yard drives. But my $200 finds 9-10 fairways at 285 yards so and extra $600 doesn't seem worth it to me.

History lesson:

A ton of whackos paid well over $1000 for these "tour" drivers from the medicine show known as BSg and other outlets. The best way for TM to take the revenue away from the caddies and thieves (intentionally labelled as two separate groups) and put the revenue on their balance sheet was to create a TP line and price it at an attractive level for club ho's and at the same time make a big margin. It's was a win-win for awhile, it's still a TM win, but maybe not that big of deal to consumers anymore.

So this is not a case of TM trying to stick it to us. Compared to the past, TM has been doing club hos a very big favor. Why pay over $1000 for a same tour issued driver that has unpredictable characteristics coming out of a tour van compared to a consistent specification coming from the retailer?

I don't think TM is too concerned over the higher price turning off buyers. The TP line marketing is clear, the market size is small, and worse case scenario they can always lower the price later.

There will be lots of these drivers sold for $799, but I think there would be drivers just as good available for cheaper. What comes to mind a J44 460 with diamana upgrade only $499 on tgw, cheaper elsewhere I would imagine.

Aerojet LS 9*

ST-G 15*

TBD

Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW

RTX4 56*

RTX4 60* 

Phantom X 12.5

History lesson:

A ton of whackos paid well over $1000 for these "tour" drivers from the medicine show known as BSg and other outlets.  The best way for TM to take the revenue away from the caddies and thieves (intentionally labelled as two separate groups) and put the revenue on their balance sheet was to create a TP line and price it at an attractive level for club ho's and at the same time make a big margin.  It's was a win-win for awhile, it's still a TM win, but maybe not that big of deal to consumers anymore.

So this is not a case of TM trying to stick it to us.  Compared to the past, TM has been doing club hos a very big favor.  Why pay over $1000 for a same tour issued driver that has unpredictable characteristics coming out of a tour van compared to a consistent specification coming from the retailer?

I don't think TM is too concerned over the higher price turning off buyers.  The TP line marketing is clear, the market size is small, and worse case scenario they can always lower the price later.

71952[/snapback]

(Tongue in cheek) I somewhat agree, except that "tour issue" clubs have better weighting, square to open faces, and higher grade titanium. :tongue: :help: ;) :nono: :lol:

At least that's the line you get from other discussion boards.....you know, the one with dancing bananas everywhere.

Seriously, you bring up a great point. TM is providing tour level clubs to the general public and there's a higher price to pay for that. It's up to each consumer whether he/she wants to pay $800 for a driver.

So for $800.00 you can get a retail "Tour" driver. They should just bag the hook faced, cheap shafted retail "Retail" driver and offer the TP for $399.00 or maybe $499.00 since it does come with a Fuji. But I agree with the above posters in that they will probably sell quite a few of them at the $800.00. Crazy.

History lesson:

A ton of whackos paid well over $1000 for these "tour" drivers from the medicine show known as BSg and other outlets.  The best way for TM to take the revenue away from the caddies and thieves (intentionally labelled as two separate groups) and put the revenue on their balance sheet was to create a TP line and price it at an attractive level for club ho's and at the same time make a big margin.  It's was a win-win for awhile, it's still a TM win, but maybe not that big of deal to consumers anymore.

So this is not a case of TM trying to stick it to us.  Compared to the past, TM has been doing club hos a very big favor.  Why pay over $1000 for a same tour issued driver that has unpredictable characteristics coming out of a tour van compared to a consistent specification coming from the retailer?

I don't think TM is too concerned over the higher price turning off buyers.  The TP line marketing is clear, the market size is small, and worse case scenario they can always lower the price later.

71952[/snapback]

(Tongue in cheek) I somewhat agree, except that "tour issue" clubs have better weighting, square to open faces, and higher grade titanium. :) :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

At least that's the line you get from other discussion boards.....you know, the one with dancing bananas everywhere.

72041[/snapback]

It happens here and other boards as well but not as much. I share your laughter at the wisdom of this as well. Pity those that have paid over a grand for tour heads. Bet they saw a 3 yard increase in distance. Yeah right... :cheesy:

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

Prediction: The R7 425 will be a flop from a sales standpoint. After almost a year on the market from most major OEMs (including TM's R5), Joe Golfer has moved onto a 460cc head. It's a step back to go to 425cc. How many folks are looking at the BB2, Bridgestone 420, Titleist 905 S/T, Launcher 400, X-Drive 420, etc. At the $800 price point, the consumer expects freakin' cutting edge technology. 420cc is not perceived as cutting edge, when you can get 460cc. TM should just release the 460cc head, and forego the R7 425.

Someone pointed out the fact that the shafts only cost like 40 to make but in truth the research that goes into shafts cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. You are really paying for that. But I have to agree if you are talking about the head. The 425 is just a bigger version of the reg R7. Im no expert but I dont think 25cc will make any difference. But the 460 a 60cc difference makes more sense.

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,][size=4]?️ UnProfessional Golfer
? Indiana and ? Florida Raised

Prediction:  The R7 425 will be a flop from a sales standpoint.  After almost a year on the market from most major OEMs (including TM's R5), Joe Golfer has moved onto a 460cc head.  It's a step back to go to 425cc.  How many folks are looking at the BB2, Bridgestone 420, Titleist 905 S/T, Launcher 400, X-Drive 420, etc.  At the $800 price point, the consumer expects freakin' cutting edge technology.  420cc is not perceived as cutting edge, when you can get 460cc.  TM should just release the 460cc head, and forego the R7 425.

72658[/snapback]

no, i don't totally agree, the manufactures are not forced right now to reach out and make a 460cc head. I think 425 is a real sweet spot for the next year or so. There are still lots of people playing 300-400 cc heads that would settle for something smaller than the huge mamma. Including me.