2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Which golf distance measurer is the best for the money?

Skycaddie, etc. etc.
Hi, I am looking for a distance measurer I can use in practice rounds to get precise yardage's for real tournament rounds. Which one do you think is the best for the money? I don't want to pay for memberships every year for it either. Would hunting distance devices do pretty much the same thing as most golf related distance measurers? Thanks a lot.
:cheesy: :rockon:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='lora84' post='831570' date='Dec 20 2007, 10:58 AM']Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 tournament edition. The best investment in golf equipment I have made in a long time.[/quote]

Awesome. Just wondering, how much did you pay? Do you have the one with slope in it too? Have you tried any other ones? Thanks.

Bushnell 1500 TE. The one with slope is not conforming for tournaments or posting.
Hunting rangefinders are the same. Most range finders have 2 modes, near target or far target. If a number of targets are in the field of the range finder it picks one to display distance. For example far target might give you the distance to an animal standing inside the tree line. Near target would give you the distance to the nearest tree of the tree line (or the flag stick instead of the tree directly behind the green). Hunting range finders usually default to far target and you push a button to switch them to near target. Golf range finders usually default to near target and you push a button to switch them to far target. Most remember the last mode set and they have an indicator.

[quote name='samsquanch' post='831578' date='Dec 20 2007, 02:05 PM'][quote name='lora84' post='831570' date='Dec 20 2007, 10:58 AM']Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 tournament edition. The best investment in golf equipment I have made in a long time.[/quote]

Awesome. Just wondering, how much did you pay? Do you have the one with slope in it too? Have you tried any other ones? Thanks.
[/quote]
I don't know the cost because it was a gift from my very loving and understanding wife. It seems like they sell for about $400.00 in most golf shops.

I have a 1500 TE and love it! Makes a difference playing.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

So many posts on this already...I'll represent the 500G, G. It's compact, only about 200 bones, and it works like a charm from 200 yds and in. I even found a way to attach the case to my carry bag handle so I don't have to dig it out of a pocket. I love mine so much that when my first one got stolen, I bought another one the next day. The rangefinder so nice, I bought it twice!

When you say best for the money you've got to first determine the features you want, then look at price, then start comparing one range finder to another.

For me, I wanted small size and good functionality inside 200 yards. So I bought the Nikon 500G and am extremely happy with it. At the time, 2 months ago, the price was $211 on Amazon but I noticed today it is higher at $249.

At the same time, the Bushnell pinseeker 1500 is known by everyone including me to be more precise especially at longer distances. But it is bigger and heavier. While it used to be $399 best price now today it is $329 and I've seen it as low as $299 last week on Amazon. So prices are falling on this one.

Work through it logically, decide what features you want, check out the prices, and then pull the trigger.

I love my SkyCaddie...tried the Bushnell and its good...but I love the feature of having the green displayed on the screen and that it can be used for blind shots...hell get both :cheesy:

Titleist TSi2 10° w/Ventus Blue 6x w/VeloCore

Titleist TSi2 15° w/Ventus Blue 7x w/VeloCore
Titleist TSi2 21° w/Ventus Blue 8x w/VeloCore
Titleist T100S (2021) 4-PW w/PX LZ 6.0
Vokey SM8 Raw 52.12F, 56.10S, and 60.08M
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5 34"
Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='samsquanch' post='831525' date='Dec 20 2007, 12:12 PM']Hi, I am looking for a distance measurer I can use in practice rounds to get precise yardage's for real tournament rounds. Which one do you think is the best for the money? I don't want to pay for memberships every year for it either. Would hunting distance devices do pretty much the same thing as most golf related distance measurers? Thanks a lot.
:drinks::lock:[/quote]

Actually I would recommend THE BEST range finder POSSIBLE! Works on every single course all around the world. I use it in EVERY round and up until 5 or so years ago, so did every Tour Pro. Eyes!!!! Yes, EYES!! I know, I know, sounds tooo good to be true! If you get out of the cart and walk, you can actually confirm the distance with something called PACING OFF distances!!! :) Sweet huh? I know, its super human to call em down to the yard like The Great Ben Hogan, but you can get pretty close. I would hazard a guess that Nicklaus became the best player, to ever strap on spikes, without a range finder or gps of any sort.

I dont know if any of my rant would actually be helpfull, but it's all I had. I dont use electronic range finders, so I couldnt give an honest review.... :)

[quote name='OldSkoolTexan' post='857248' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:42 AM'][quote name='samsquanch' post='831525' date='Dec 20 2007, 12:12 PM']Hi, I am looking for a distance measurer I can use in practice rounds to get precise yardage's for real tournament rounds. Which one do you think is the best for the money? I don't want to pay for memberships every year for it either. Would hunting distance devices do pretty much the same thing as most golf related distance measurers? Thanks a lot.
:drinks::lock:[/quote]

Actually I would recommend THE BEST range finder POSSIBLE! Works on every single course all around the world. I use it in EVERY round and up until 5 or so years ago, so did every Tour Pro. Eyes!!!! Yes, EYES!! I know, I know, sounds tooo good to be true! If you get out of the cart and walk, you can actually confirm the distance with something called PACING OFF distances!!! :) Sweet huh? I know, its super human to call em down to the yard like The Great Ben Hogan, but you can get pretty close. I would hazard a guess that Nicklaus became the best player, to ever strap on spikes, without a range finder or gps of any sort.

I dont know if any of my rant would actually be helpfull, but it's all I had. I dont use electronic range finders, so I couldnt give an honest review.... :)
[/quote]

You're right. Actually, I don't really want one. The only reason I am even considering one of these is because almost everyone else uses them in tournaments in our area, and I feel as if I'm coming out unarmed, which sort of sucks. But really, I think they should ban them, and tour pros shouldn't be allowed to play with caddies... I don't know, just my $0.02

Dont feel left out. Do the guys you play with score ANY better with those goofy electronic aids?? What seperates a Tour Pro from a scratch or 1?? Short game! 150yds and in. If someone needs to scope out a distance from 125yds, with GPS, I would OWN them all day long..... lol

Think about it, have even the PGA Tour GIR stats drastically improved in the last few years??? EVEN with the GPS and this and that laser range finder, not to mention them stating to play hybrids and perimeter weighted irons! You can't buy birdies!! :drinks: lol

Thats why most of these young guys maybe win ONCE then just kinda hang around but never dominate on tour. Noone wants to practice anymore. Ben Hogan would be highly dissapointed if he were around to see whats going on.

Here's how I use my rangefinder :[list]
[*]On the range, I use it to measure the distance to the targets. Because the hitting area's position changes all the time and the angle I'm hitting from varies, I find it real useful to know the exact distance of the target I'm going for.
[*]I also use the rangefinder on the range to constantly reevaluate my 5 fixed short distance swings with my 4 wedges.
[*]On the course, I use my rangefinder for almost every shot. Takes about 3-10 seconds max.:[list]
[*]On the tee, I'll scope out the distance to fairway bunkers, my intended landing area and the distance to trouble areas further away (dog leg corner, OB, etc.).
[*]For fairway shots, I'll scope front bunkers' lip, the pin and the back of the green. This provides me important information on the required carry and my post-landing working space.
[/list]
[/list]I no longer need to walk shots, except for situations when I need to evaluate the landing area more closely. I play my shots much faster than my partners who need to walk their distances. In addition to this, I know my distances are always exact to ±1 yard, whereas walked distances rely on most often unreliable sprinkler heads or other markers. Walked and GPS determined distances are also most often unreliable because they do not take into account actual pin positions.

To me, rangefinders provide a golfer with more information, and information is the foundation of golf. Whether it's our swing or creating a shot in our mind, the way we learn, improve and achieve good results in all this is through gathering and using information. There's no escaping this.

What's the most important piece of information a blind man needs before playing a shot? The distance. A rangefinder provides the the best information concerning distance, both quantitative and qualitative--better information than any human eye, brain or legs can provide. Period. Of course, a rangefinder doesn't guarantee better shots--just better information. Why would anyone insist on playing without a rangefinder?

[quote name='LucF' post='860557' date='Jan 12 2008, 09:03 AM']Here's how I use my rangefinder :[list]
[*]On the range, I use it to measure the distance to the targets. Because the hitting area's position changes all the time and the angle I'm hitting from varies, I find it real useful to know the exact distance of the target I'm going for.
[*]I also use the rangefinder on the range to constantly reevaluate my 5 fixed short distance swings with my 4 wedges.
[*]On the course, I use my rangefinder for almost every shot. Takes about 3-10 seconds max.:[list]
[*]On the tee, I'll scope out the distance to fairway bunkers, my intended landing area and the distance to trouble areas further away (dog leg corner, OB, etc.).
[*]For fairway shots, I'll scope front bunkers' lip, the pin and the back of the green. This provides me important information on the required carry and my post-landing working space.
[/list]
[/list]I no longer need to walk shots, except for situations when I need to evaluate the landing area more closely. I play my shots much faster than my partners who need to walk their distances. In addition to this, I know my distances are always exact to ±1 yard, whereas walked distances rely on most often unreliable sprinkler heads or other markers. Walked and GPS determined distances are also most often unreliable because they do not take into account actual pin positions.

To me, rangefinders provide a golfer with more information, and information is the foundation of golf. Whether it's our swing or creating a shot in our mind, the way we learn, improve and achieve good results in all this is through gathering and using information. There's no escaping this.

What's the most important piece of information a blind man needs before playing a shot? The distance. A rangefinder provides the the best information concerning distance, both quantitative and qualitative--better information than any human eye, brain or legs can provide. Period. Of course, a rangefinder doesn't guarantee better shots--just better information. Why would anyone insist on playing without a rangefinder?[/quote]

Same here.

A few friends who religiously use sprinkler heads have teased me about using a rangefinder, but generally quiet down when I remind them that it's merely a high tech option to a sprinkler head - they're just getting similar information the old fashioned way.

As far as value for the cost, there are great options out there, but I found the Nikon 500G does all I need it to for around $200 when I purchased it last year.

Came across a situation this week where my playing partners skycaddie had me... it was a light fog, not too heavy to not be able to play.

My laser finder, read every distance as 14Yds. The fog was thin enough for me to see the flag at over 200yds, but it read 14 yds. The skycaddie of course gave him his correct yardage.+-/ 3yds to the center of the green.

Played today with both rangefinder and skycaddie. I continue to find the rangefinder more useful. Where it really stands out is getting the exact yardages for 200 yards and closer especially in the wedge range (50 to 110 yards). Really improves the up and down chances. Or when you're coming in from the rough, maybe 10 yards outside the fairway. Within 10 seconds you've got the exact yardage.

otoh the skycaddie gives front and back of green which is great for blind shots or uphill shots, also gives distance to blind hazards such as creeks and ravines. Some people say the skycaddie is good enough because most of us should be going for middle of green, but imho with 7 iron and shorter clubs, going for the pin is the way to go and the rangefinder gives it to you exact and quick.

for guys with rangefinders - do other player keep asking for yardage? My foursome won't give me a moment's piece if I bought one.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

Have any of you rangecaddiefinder users seen a great deal of increase in your GIR stats? Has having the GPS yardage down to the foot given you some 2 fold increase in birdies per round? Just curious....

I personally think they take some of the fun out of the game. Getting proficient at judging distance is a part of the course management aspect of the game. Am I wrong? Just wondering........

[quote name='8thehardway' post='860837' date='Jan 12 2008, 02:21 PM']for guys with rangefinders - do other player keep asking for yardage? My foursome won't give me a moment's piece if I bought one.[/quote]

It all depends who I'm playing with, but it's usually no extra trouble to provide my yardage or shoot another measurement from their ball. The biggest 'community usage' comes on par 3's where we no longer have to guess how far away the pin is.

[quote name='OldSkoolTexan' post='860917' date='Jan 12 2008, 03:39 PM']Have any of you rangecaddiefinder users seen a great deal of increase in your GIR stats? Has having the GPS yardage down to the foot given you some 2 fold increase in birdies per round? Just curious....

I personally think they take some of the fun out of the game. Getting proficient at judging distance is a part of the course management aspect of the game. Am I wrong? Just wondering........[/quote]

GIR improved slightly, mainly I find I'm closer to the pin when I choose the right club and strike the ball well. It's really helped on par 3's, we spend a lot less time compared to when we walked off the yardage and guessed how far away the pin is. After I got my Nikon, my friends gave me their yardage estimates on the par 3's the first time I used it and it was surprising how many times they were off by at least a club.

As far as taking the fun out of the game, I was a bit worried about that, but I find it makes the game more enjoyable because it speeds up the game and I can focus completely on hitting the shot without worrying in the back of my mind whether I have too much or too little club.

Keep in mind these gadgets aren't magic bullets. Just as with taking yardages from a sprinkler head, you still have to adjust for terrain and atmospheric conditions, and you still have to hit a good shot.

I have had a lot of people ask me what I'm doing with these newfangled electronical devices. One person was concerned that perhaps I was using the gps or rangefinder to beam in an alien spaceship. And a few people suggested this was only a step away from what comes next .... communism! But once I gave these people their exact yardages, they were generally pretty happy.

:drinks::lock:

[quote name='OldSkoolTexan' post='860917' date='Jan 12 2008, 06:39 PM']Have any of you rangecaddiefinder users seen a great deal of increase in your GIR stats? Has having the GPS yardage down to the foot given you some 2 fold increase in birdies per round? Just curious....[/quote]

I have just started to use GPS the past few months. From your other posts, it's clear that you are firmly placed in the Dark Ages of golf here, and obviously don't want to change. That's okay, I think we need traditionalists like we need dirty politicians. I mean, if there wasn't any, it'd be pretty boring, right? However, to answer your original question, I used to use sprinkler heads and standard yardage markers in the fairway. Now I can walk up to my ball, click the SkyCaddie to the pin, and have my yardage in less than 20 seconds. I don't care what you think of the modern game, but I think that any player (Including the glorified Ben Hogan) would enjoy getting accurate yardage numbers within 20 seconds and playing in under 4 hours. I could be wrong, but wasn't Ben Hogan to first to get distances before he played Tournaments and then writing them down in a yardage book? Bobby Jones was the first to put numbers on clubs, clearly to make the game easier to understand and play. Today, nothing is different. People want a game that is easier to understand.

But, hey, you still gotta hit the shot. I'm just saving time preparing for it.

[quote]I personally think they take some of the fun out of the game. Getting proficient at judging distance is a part of the course management aspect of the game. Am I wrong? Just wondering........[/quote]

I don't want to say you're wrong. You're just misguided. I've played with plenty of players who are very good players - but rely on people to give them yardages and sprinkler heads. Why? Because they have poor depth perception. I know that a lot of people just have trouble seeing or the archetect is playing tricks on them. For example, putting a lot of trees around the green to frame it and then putting nothing around the green could make it look 15+ yards different. Simply because of tricks played on your eyes.