The secret is easy to see...

Take a good look at these images. Note the relationship between the lead n trail arms/hands unit compared to his body.

HoganNoRollRelease.jpg.ab698c80e053e83530c673d0641a7475.jpg

To the naked eye, people will say "oh smack, so he keeps the lead n trail arms in this position while pivoting real hard to "collect" the ball rather than "hit" it with his hands n arms.

That's only half true. Why?

Noticed his bent right arm in frame 1 then 2. While it looked like the right arm and hand was just "along for the ride" nothing could be further from the truth. At this point Hogan was letting his right hand and arms releasing as hard as he could. But why didn't his right arm straighten with the right elbow flying away from his right hip just like the rest of us if he was really doing that? I don't blame you if you say bullsh*t. In normal circumstances the trail elbow will want to fly away from the trail hip the harder we use it to hit. Hell, even Hogan himself suffered from this swing flaw in his "duck hooking" days.

Don't believe me? Check out these images. Left image before secret. Mid and right after secret.

threecomp.jpg.9ad0f46e622d55a0f6618c5de47fff96.jpg

Noticed anything different between the left image and the two middle and right image? Apart from the obvious crossed over look on the left image, anything else you can see?

Here let me make it easier...

threecomp2.jpg.a67dae72b4377e9070e03fb613309bc8.jpg

Now do you see? It's the direction in which the elbows are pointing. 

Now there will be people who have the impression that these positions are merely the same as when one hits a sand shot where we hold the face open.... oh boy, nothing can be further from the truth. Hogan wasn't doing that one bit. He was still using his right arm and hand to smash the ball with the same "intent" and force as in the "before secret" image.

But how? Same intent but different arms position? Hell even his backswing was not that different from before the secret. Well through the years he got flatter and flatter but that's another topic for another day.

Oh and "skipping the stone" move isn't the answer either. Anyone could do that motion if they practice enough. But the question still stands... how did he square the face and locked it there the way he did it.

So back to topic. But how?  He said "my secret is easy to see, if i tell you where to look"

Well sir, Mr.Hogan I'm looking right at it but still no idea!!! LOL 

Have a lovely weekend folks.

Edited by SwagGolf6112

If you wind your hands together on the top of the handle at setup, it gives you the range of motion to REVERSE those windings after the takeaway and to continue those torques through impact.

It produces a very stable clubface as the left arm tries to rotate counterclockwise with the pivot on the DS while the right retains some of its clockwise torque on the handle (from a right handed player’s perspective). The opposing torques are applied with grip pressures, the same ones a Hogan mentioned in 5 Lessons, last three fingers of the left hand and middle two fingers of the right.

DS pivot must be aggressive and cannot stall or you’ll hit it right of right. Left side of the course is taken out of play.

Was this Hogan’s secret? Can’t say for sure but it’s a possibility. It fixed my hook and it’s reasonable for an accomplished player to successfully implement in one range session.F6565C95-50AC-4C90-9C29-8587C48002AA.jpeg.8be1bd2cd59c1541ca5958f3a5e2bdd4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 2:16 AM, moehogan said:

If you wind your hands together on the top of the handle at setup, it gives you the range of motion to REVERSE those windings after the takeaway and to continue those torques through impact.

It produces a very stable clubface as the left arm tries to rotate counterclockwise with the pivot on the DS while the right retains some of its clockwise torque on the handle (from a right handed player’s perspective). The opposing torques are applied with grip pressures, the same ones a Hogan mentioned in 5 Lessons, last three fingers of the left hand and middle two fingers of the right.

DS pivot must be aggressive and cannot stall or you’ll hit it right of right. Left side of the course is taken out of play.

Was this Hogan’s secret? Can’t say for sure but it’s a possibility. It fixed my hook and it’s reasonable for an accomplished player to successfully implement in one range session.F6565C95-50AC-4C90-9C29-8587C48002AA.jpeg.8be1bd2cd59c1541ca5958f3a5e2bdd4.jpeg

I've read all your posts on this forum and have nothing but respect for you. What you described will help countless golfers if they open their hearts and minds and practice this one thing. 

With that being said, I'm gonna bite my tongue and say while what you're telling us is "exactly" what takes place in the Hogan swing. It is an "effect" of the secret and not the cause. Meaning, once the secret is activated, what you described will be built into the swing without the golfer even having to think about it... ever. Actually to be more clear, once activated, no matter how the golfer takes the club away from the ball, that "pressure" will not dissipate and the only way to deactivate it is to let go of the club altogether. And on the downswing as long as the golfer does not "change his spine angle" in relationship to the set-up, the hands and arms will automatically and comfortably "snap" into square all by itself beginning around P6 and hold that position almost to the finish. That's why Hogan is the only golfer to have that unique follow through.

Hence what Hogan said about the secret "I can't even hook it even if I want to". 

But I could be wrong as well sir. Just my two cents. Cheers!

Edited by SwagGolf6112

Thanks for the kind words! Hogan left lots of clues like the bolded interview answer and the Five Lessons dust jacket below. Many of them point to the grip ... it certainly received a great deal of attention from him.

Ben Hogan: The Golf Magazine Interview

By George Peper

September 1987

HOGAN: Yes, years ago. When I first started on Tour, I had a terrible problem with a hook and I struggled constantly to learn to fade the ball. Finally, one day I said to myself, “Henny Bogan, you have got to go home and correct this. Otherwise you’re never gonna make a living.”

So I came home for two weeks and worked and thought about my game. I’ll never forget, one night in bed I got an idea, something I might try. Well, I could barely wait for the sun to come up the next morning. Out I went to the practice tee and started trying out my theory. It worked. It worked all day long. And the next day. And the next day too.

So I said, I’ve got to take this out on Tour and put it under some pressure. The next week was the George May Tournament in Chicago—and in those days he had two events, back to back. A big field of players competed the first week, and then the top 12 from that tournament went on to play for big money the following week. Well, I went up there and won both of them.

GOLF: What was that inspiration?

HOGAN: I’m not telling (smiling).

GOLF: Did it relate to one of the fundamentals in your book, “Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf”?

HOGAN: Yes, it did.

GOLF: It was the part about pronation and supination, wasn’t it?

HOGAN: Well, yes it was, but it all gets back to the grip. You can’t make those moves unless you have the proper hold on the club. It’s like steering an automobile. You don’t steer to the right all the time, you also steer to the left. That ability has to come from the grip, which is the transformer through which the juice flows. 

8B3EDDC5-6D26-4949-BB53-6B19B01C9BE7.jpeg.766dc2b931cff1e471e28de9e17a6997.jpeg

Edited by moehogan

3 hours ago, moehogan said:

HOGAN: Well, yes it was, but it all gets back to the grip. You can’t make those moves unless you have "the proper hold on the club". It’s like steering an automobile. You don’t steer to the right all the time, you also steer to the left. That ability has to come from the grip, which is the transformer through which the juice flows. 

8B3EDDC5-6D26-4949-BB53-6B19B01C9BE7.jpeg.766dc2b931cff1e471e28de9e17a6997.jpeg

So true sir.

Edited by SwagGolf6112