Pebble Beach - August vs October? (and a few other questions)

KParks

Looking to plan a trip to Pebble Beach for this late summer / fall with my pops to celebrate his finally retiring (for real this time) and had a few questions for the regulars up there:

1) Any major difference in weather between late August and mid October? I know October is more "peak" (and much harder to find reservations) while August is much easier to find tee times and rooms. Right now have a reservation for mid-October because that was the only Th, Fri, Sat or Sun they could get me a reasonable tee time at PB in the Sept-Oct time frames that worked for me. 

2) Any strong preference between the Inn at SB and the Lodge at PB? For an Oct reso the only availability they could get me for a double queen room was at the Inn at SB. All else being equal I would have chosen the Lodge at PB (since both are absurdly expensive what is another 10% a night) but I don't think it is a huge deal since we are planning on Playing SB, PB and Spyglass (in that order over three days).

3) Anyone have any insights on the caddie program, specifically if we think it will be fully operational (i.e. not forecaddie services only) by the late summer / fall? Reservation agent thought it likely would be (but he, while being very nice, is just a salesman still). 

4) Any tips or tricks for making this a slightly less expensive endeavor (I'm obviously accepting that it is going to be very expensive and want to do the whole 9 yards staying on property, but still looking for anything to make it not as bad)? Assume that there won't be any Stay & Play deals made available for this fall (considering likely pent up demand and assuming that we've finally got a good vaccination rollout here in CA by then), but if they do come up are they cool about switching you into them? I don't believe any travel agents / Virtuoso / FHR get any deals for the PB resort? Is it worthwhile to consider a Duke's membership if just going for one trip with two people (again that is likely conditional on being able to get the Duke's rates at SG and SB as a start)?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KParks said:

Looking to plan a trip to Pebble Beach for this late summer / fall with my pops to celebrate his finally retiring (for real this time) and had a few questions for the regulars up there:

1) Any major difference in weather between late August and mid October? I know October is more "peak" (and much harder to find reservations) while August is much easier to find tee times and rooms. Right now have a reservation for mid-October because that was the only Th, Fri, Sat or Sun they could get me a reasonable tee time at PB in the Sept-Oct time frames that worked for me. 

2) Any strong preference between the Inn at SB and the Lodge at PB? For an Oct reso the only availability they could get me for a double queen room was at the Inn at SB. All else being equal I would have chosen the Lodge at PB (since both are absurdly expensive what is another 10% a night) but I don't think it is a huge deal since we are planning on Playing SB, PB and Spyglass (in that order over three days).

3) Anyone have any insights on the caddie program, specifically if we think it will be fully operational (i.e. not forecaddie services only) by the late summer / fall? Reservation agent thought it likely would be (but he, while being very nice, is just a salesman still). 

4) Any tips or tricks for making this a slightly less expensive endeavor (I'm obviously accepting that it is going to be very expensive and want to do the whole 9 yards staying on property, but still looking for anything to make it not as bad)? Assume that there won't be any Stay & Play deals made available for this fall (considering likely pent up demand and assuming that we've finally got a good vaccination rollout here in CA by then), but if they do come up are they cool about switching you into them? I don't believe any travel agents / Virtuoso / FHR get any deals for the PB resort? Is it worthwhile to consider a Duke's membership if just going for one trip with two people (again that is likely conditional on being able to get the Duke's rates at SG and SB as a start)?

1.  I personally like August- October time frame as the marine layer is usually gone by the end of July.

2. My wife and I prefer staying at SB over PB but that's personal preference. SB doesn't have all the tourists that PB has it's very quiet and they have self parking. During normal times we like sitting at the fire pits having some wine or cocktails and once in awhile watch the bagpiper or we'll have some wine and cheese sitting on our rooms balcony overlooking the first fairway and ocean. We also like Stave Wine Cellar plus we know people who work at all of the restaurants at SB and PB.

3. I think it depends on where we are with COVID regarding caddies. I can give you information later in the year. 

4. PB Resorts usually have a package deal for rooms and golf as I get periodic emails from them. I'm a Duke's club member too and due to COVID the Duke's has been offering discounts on all 3 courses every month. If you joined Duke's then you would save ~$235 at SB and Spy. Normally SB and Spy would be $1420 for two and with Duke's $1185 including Dukes membership for two. You could play Del Monte for about $60+.The problem is that if every things back to normal then Pebble wouldn't be included with Duke's and also with Duke's you can only book Spy and SB 30 days in advance.

Edited by aloha b.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, aloha b. said:

1.  I personally like August- October time frame as the marine layer is usually gone by the end of July.

Thanks, this was my biggest concern about considering the last week of August. I live in coastal SoCal so I'm not totally shocked by fog/marine layer, just didn't really know when it was worst up there. Would just like a good chance that it will burn off (at least in part) by late morning before rolling back in during the evening since we'd be targeting late morning ~11ish tee times. 

• Like 1

Here's Pebbles current stay and play package

Our Stay & Play Package

Enjoy exceptional rates at the greatest golf resort in America.

Stay & Play Package includes:

Two nights at

• The Inn at Spanish Bay
  • or The Lodge at Pebble Beach

Two rounds of golf

• One round at Pebble Beach Golf Links, and
  • One round at The Links at Spanish Bay or
  • One round at Spyglass Hill Golf Course

Enjoy

• $200 Resort Credit per package
  • A complimentary round at The Links at Spanish Bay when booking a 3rd night
  • An opportunity to book a 3rd & 4th night at 25% off

Package starts at $2,445 for The Inn at Spanish Bay and $2,845 for The Lodge
Rates above include one round at Pebble Beach Golf Links and one round at The Links at Spanish Bay.

Offer valid through April 30, 2021.

Aug is still sketchy for fog - it doesn’t really predictably clear up til Sept. sept through Oct is the best weather of the year - warmest, lightest winds, no fog (unless you are really unlucky, but even then it tends to burn off). One thing to bear in mind is that there is no range at Spanish - you will have to get a shuttle to the PB academy (or drive over) if you want to hit balls. By summer, the new short course will be open so if it is truly a golf trip then PB is probably a better bet (plus I hate bagpipes....)

• Thanks 1

We stayed at Spanish Bay at the end of Sept. last year and the weather was great, warm enough to wear shorts.

The first picture is from our balcony overlooking the 1st fairway and ocean, second the ocean and third the first fairway at Pebble from the outside dining area of The Tap Room.

We also usually stay at Christmas and New Year's but not last year due to COVID shelter in place. 

DSC07260.JPG

DSC07257.JPG

DSC07267.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I would vote for October over August but as others have said anything past July is probably safe. More daylight in August may give you more flexibility and/or availability on tee times.

I played Pebble a few years back on December 27th and it was 70 and sunny, and another year it was like that on January 2nd, so the good weather often continues past October if your schedule allows it.

To save a little bit, maybe see if you can stay Saturday through Tuesday or even Monday through Thursday. It may be worth burning a day or two more of your vacation balance.

Or just retire like your pops! 😁

If caddies are not available, keep in mind that PB and SH are cart path only which may change your choice of month depending on how much your dad likes to walk. (Personally I use my pushcart at all the courses there which is not too much more walking than when taking a cart.) I would guess that caddies are more likely to be allowed in October than August but you won’t know for sure until you get here, I suspect.

You can have a forecaddie at all the PB courses currently so maybe that is an option for you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 11:56 AM, KParks said:

Stayed at the lodge for 4 nights in the “Ocean View Deluxe” rooms. The view of the 18th green and fairway are worth the extra expense. These rooms are newer than the rest and exceptional. They have an huge balcony. The top floor provides the best view and is on the same level as the putting green and restaurants so no climbing any hills if you go for a walk.

If I go back, I will only stay in those rooms. Price be damned.

Caddie’s - Only fore caddies allowed while we were there. Played and walked Spanish Bay, Spyglass and Pebble Beach. Spyglass clearly the hardest to walk. We used the courtesy pull carts and our caddies were superb to the 10th power. They did everything. Pick lines, read green, find unfindable balls and deserved the maximum tip available.

We rented a car at and flew into Monterrey Airport. The car just gave us some flexibility but the lodge will shuttle you to the range or other courses. Heck if you call the concierge, they will bring a large golf cart to your room and shuttle you the 100 yards to the restaurants.

One tip, food is outrageously priced, like everything else. LOL!

Get a reservation at Vesuvio in Carmel. Superb Italian food.

Service at every place we went was beyond expectations. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tstorm5 said:

Stayed at the lodge for 4 nights in the “Ocean View Deluxe” rooms. The view of the 18th green and fairway are worth the extra expense. These rooms are newer than the rest and exceptional. They have an huge balcony. The top floor provides the best view and is on the same level as the putting green and restaurants so no climbing any hills if you go for a walk.

If I go back, I will only stay in those rooms. Price be damned.

Caddie’s - Only fore caddies allowed while we were there. Played and walked Spanish Bay, Spyglass and Pebble Beach. Spyglass clearly the hardest to walk. We used the courtesy pull carts and our caddies were superb to the 10th power. They did everything. Pick lines, read green, find unfindable balls and deserved the maximum tip available.

We rented a car at and flew into Monterrey Airport. The car just gave us some flexibility but the lodge will shuttle you to the range or other courses. Heck if you call the concierge, they will bring a large golf cart to your room and shuttle you the 100 yards to the restaurants.

One tip, food is outrageously priced, like everything else. LOL!

Get a reservation at Vesuvio in Carmel. Superb Italian food.

Service at every place we went was beyond expectations. 

Just an Fyi all the rooms were renovated at Pebble, Spanish Bay and Casa Palermo in 2018 - 2019.

Vesuvio in Carmel and Peppoli at Spanish Bay are owned by the Pepe family. Vesuvio also has the only rooftop bar in Carmel

• Like 1