Struggling to Decide Between Palm Beach Course Options

jontrcy08

I am heading to Palm Beach next month for a few days of golf. I've done a lot of research on the forum, but am still having trouble deciding between a few options. Would love advice from some who have experienced these courses to help me compare and contracts. I am a 12 handicapper, not overly concerned with cost, and no one in the group belongs to a local club, so our private options are limited. 

Options we are considering, and open to others 

NPBCC - reviews seem great, but we have read some notes about course conditions being mediocre and a little beat up

Reese Jones - more expensive, not a lot of feedback on the forums 

Abacoa - seems to have positive forum feedback but is dated, more recent reviews indicated slow play, is the layout intriguing or do the rave reviews just come from great conditions?

PGA Village Dye - is this really worth driving the extra 40 minutes?

Ironhorse - have access here, can't find much on the forums on the course at all

would love any feedback on these options or comparisons if anyone has played some or all of these or any others we should consider.

I think Abacoa is great. Good variety of holes, and greens are as good as the private clubs. 

North Palm is just a step below Abacoa. Maybe just a taste thing as I feel the greens are a bit over the top at some spots at North Palm. 

Which Rees Jones course are you referring to, the one at The Breakers?

Dye course is solid, but I wouldn’t put it ahead of Abacoa, and conditions can be spotty.  I’ve never seen the greens roll there fast, but have only been there a few times. 

Two that aren't on your list that should be:

Palm Beach Par 3 is a must play if you're in the area, its just as good as any private there. When friends and family used to come visit we'd make the rounds to the privates but we would always play there. Great course lots of fun!

The Florida Club in Stuart. It underwent a renovation and it is fantastic, a great little gem off Kanter highway. Not the longest but a great collection of golf holes. 

Dye Course at PGA Village is 100 percent worth it.

Abacoa is a good solid golf course. 

North Palm Beach CC just had a total renovation recently (within 3 years I reckon) should be in excellent shape. One of three (I think) Nicklaus Signature designs that are public.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jpt1101 said:

With their renovation, was The Florida Club just regrassed, or did they change any of the actual holes, or do any tree clearing, etc?

I know it was regressed and bunkers were redone, I do not know about any other work that went into it as far as tree removal or redesign. I had only played it post renovation and I thought it was just as good as any of the private clubs in the area. Greens were great, fairways were excellent, bunkers were really good as well. 

23 minutes ago, jpt1101 said:

Thanks. I’ll have to check it out. I had only played it pre reno and it was always a little overgrown and not in the best shape. 

Not a problem glad to help! Now that I am thinking of it though I think 16 green was moved to the right so now the approach is over the water instead of playing alongside of it. 

20 hours ago, jpt1101 said:

I think Abacoa is great. Good variety of holes, and greens are as good as the private clubs. 

North Palm is just a step below Abacoa. Maybe just a taste thing as I feel the greens are a bit over the top at some spots at North Palm. 

Which Rees Jones course are you referring to, the one at The Breakers?

Dye course is solid, but I wouldn’t put it ahead of Abacoa, and conditions can be spotty.  I’ve never seen the greens roll there fast, but have only been there a few times. 

Sorry the reese jones is the breakers reese jones. Anyone played there, how would it compare to abacoa and North Palm? 

Sounds like not much love for Ironhorse so I think Abacoa will be above that on our list. 

thanks for all the help, appreciate any added feedback!

20 hours ago, BNGL said:

Two that aren't on your list that should be:

Palm Beach Par 3 is a must play if you're in the area, its just as good as any private there. When friends and family used to come visit we'd make the rounds to the privates but we would always play there. Great course lots of fun!

The Florida Club in Stuart. It underwent a renovation and it is fantastic, a great little gem off Kanter highway. Not the longest but a great collection of golf holes. 

Dye Course at PGA Village is 100 percent worth it.

Abacoa is a good solid golf course. 

North Palm Beach CC just had a total renovation recently (within 3 years I reckon) should be in excellent shape. One of three (I think) Nicklaus Signature designs that are public.  

i should have added we intend to play the par 3 on the last day of our trip! thanks!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jontrcy08 said:

Sorry the reese jones is the breakers reese jones. Anyone played there, how would it compare to abacoa and North Palm? 

Sounds like not much love for Ironhorse so I think Abacoa will be above that on our list. 

thanks for all the help, appreciate any added feedback!

In my opinion Breakers Jones course is better than abacoa and NPBCC. 

I’ve only played the Reese Jones Breakers course once, and I thought it was very nice, upscale, but very tough. Probably a good one to have on your itinerary. 

I’ve played Ironhorse a couple of times when they were allowing some outside play, and I would put it at the bottom of those courses mentioned on this thread. Not bad, I just prefer the others. 

I’m looking to join a club in the Palm Beach area. I was invited to play the Preserve at Ironhorse last month by the membership director. The club is completely private and I thought it was a great track. I really enjoyed the club and all the people were great. I went back last week for another tour and I also took a cart out to look around to the course again. I think it’s on the top of my short list of 3 clubs. 

On 3/3/2021 at 3:22 PM, jontrcy08 said:

I am heading to Palm Beach next month for a few days of golf. I've done a lot of research on the forum, but am still having trouble deciding between a few options. Would love advice from some who have experienced these courses to help me compare and contracts. I am a 12 handicapper, not overly concerned with cost, and no one in the group belongs to a local club, so our private options are limited. 

Options we are considering, and open to others 

NPBCC - reviews seem great, but we have read some notes about course conditions being mediocre and a little beat up

Reese Jones - more expensive, not a lot of feedback on the forums 

Abacoa - seems to have positive forum feedback but is dated, more recent reviews indicated slow play, is the layout intriguing or do the rave reviews just come from great conditions?

PGA Village Dye - is this really worth driving the extra 40 minutes?

Ironhorse - have access here, can't find much on the forums on the course at all

would love any feedback on these options or comparisons if anyone has played some or all of these or any others we should consider.

PGA Dye is AWESOME!  All 3 courses there are great.  However, they shut off play to non members starting 3/15 until after 4/15 due to some upcoming tournaments and they are trying to make sure conditioning is top notch.  They also went to cart path only I believe.  I normally go down there to visit my Uncle and that is what I was told. 

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 9:20 PM, BNGL said:

I know it was regressed and bunkers were redone, I do not know about any other work that went into it as far as tree removal or redesign. I had only played it post renovation and I thought it was just as good as any of the private clubs in the area. Greens were great, fairways were excellent, bunkers were really good as well. 

They closed and top-dressed their fairways. Florida Club right now is truly a private club feel. Every blade of grass is exactly in place and pristine at the moment. (Save maybe one par 5 tee box where grass was a tiny bit sparse.) Florida club is worth the drive, I drove 65min south last weekend to play. I was told Chi Chi Rodriguez was there teaching his grand kids the day we played.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

7 minutes ago, markheardjr said:

They closed and top-dressed their fairways. Florida Club right now is truly a private club feel. Every blade of grass is exactly in place and pristine at the moment. (Save maybe one par 5 tee box where grass was a tiny bit sparse.) Florida club is worth the drive, I drove 65min south last weekend to play. I was told Chi Chi Rodriguez was there teaching his grand kids the day we played.

That’s awesome I’m so glad to hear that! I left the area almost three years ago now and I always kinda thought that the young man running it, it was his first sup job would get poached (and rightly so he’s done a fantastic FANTASTIC job there) and then it would slowly regress to what it was a good Florida public course. But it appears that isn’t the case and by all accounts is still in excellent shape! I can’t stress this enough if you have the chance to play it go play it it’s great!

OP probably already went on his trip but I wanted to give a shoutout to Sandhill Crane. It's a bit short (6300 from the tips), but really good condition and some unique holes. I particularly like the stretch from 10 through 13, with 13 being my favorite. 13 is super tough but I haven't seen a hole like it anywhere else (to be fair I haven't played in many places).

I played Abacoa for the first time in a long time a  few days ago and while the conditions there were great (definitely better than Sandhill) I much prefer the layout at Sandhill Crane. There are very few houses on the course, which is a nice change of pace in Florida, and a lot of trees. It really has that quality of blending in to it's natural environment which Abacoa completely doesn't have (Abacoa is very hilly for Florida and very open. Doesn't feel like you're in Floridian nature, feels quite artificial). A lot of times instead of water there will be a tangle of natural Floridian plants at Sandhill. You'll also see a lot of native wildlife (gators, sandhill cranes, etc.). They really did a great job of integrating "real florida" nature into the course, IMO. For a public course, especially a municipal one, the greens are really good. 

It's also 49 bucks at 3 PM and later, which is an absolute steal considering golf club of jupiter is I think 45 and Abacoa I think is at 75 after 4 PM still.

Edited by titan124

• 2 years later...

I have to add to this thread. Just played north palm beach Cc today. Played Loxahatchee club as well. NPBCC was a really fun track. In great condition. Lots a variety of shots and tees for every skill level. Comparable to private course conditions. 

Lox was ok on the tee shots, but the second shots are insanely difficult. Very well protected by water everywhere. I mean everywhere. Not for the faint of heart. 

• 3 weeks later...

Headed to West Palm at the end of January so if anyone has any updates on conditions or courses to play let me know.  We probably would be sticking to public courses since we don't have an "in" at the private course.  Going with a group of 8.  Last time we went we played PGA National and Bear Lakes but had a connection that is no longer there.  Thanks in advance.

On 12/31/2023 at 1:11 PM, bearyjohnson said:

Headed to West Palm at the end of January so if anyone has any updates on conditions or courses to play let me know.  We probably would be sticking to public courses since we don't have an "in" at the private course.  Going with a group of 8.  Last time we went we played PGA National and Bear Lakes but had a connection that is no longer there.  Thanks in advance.

Everything should be in good condition at that time.