2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Electric cart: starting from scratch eWheels or MGI?

I have been really interested in a remote cart for a few exciting minutes. 

The idea of walking freely and not messing up my elbow with bags and pushcarts is hugely appealing. I read through the two large threads that debate eWheels V2 versus The MGI.

I wanted to focus in on one question: if you could start from scratch, what would your ideal fully loaded set up look like?

For the V2, I saw the Caddytek Cruiser One and the Clickgear Rovic get a lot of attention. And is the TFS a second piece of the purchase?

On the MGI, I think I would need a cup holder, ha.

IMO the fewer distractions the better.

Does anyone use the V2 option without the motor? Ie: is there option value in going back to basics?

So, what’s the dream set up?

Edited by roll - gybe

• roll - gybe changed the title to Electric cart: starting from scratch eWheels or MGI?

I don't have either of those carts, but I use a Stewart X9 Follow.  Electric carts are the best way to walk and golf.

As far as the drink holder.  I took mine off the cart.  I use the drink holder that is part of the club bag.  Its actually more convenient than the holder hanging from the cart.  The on cart holder swings a lot and bounces everywhere.  The mesh drink holder on my bag is stable and very handy.  Don't decide on a cart based on a drink holder.

• Like 1

Stewart Q Follow is what I decided on and so glad I did.  5 stars!!

• Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I have an MGI Zip Navigator and it came with a drink holder. I bought mine on Amazon. I really like that I can just walk and not have to carry or push a cart. 

yesterday I used it for the first time. In a comical moment I hit the wrong controls and basically ran myself over!

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Ventus Velo+ Blue 6S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 5W Tensei Blue 65 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Cleveland RTX6 54* & 58*
Odyssey Ai-One DW 34”

10 hours ago, 596 said:

I don't have either of those carts, but I use a Stewart X9 Follow.  Electric carts are the best way to walk and golf.

As far as the drink holder.  I took mine off the cart.  I use the drink holder that is part of the club bag.  Its actually more convenient than the holder hanging from the cart.  The on cart holder swings a lot and bounces everywhere.  The mesh drink holder on my bag is stable and very handy.  Don't decide on a cart based on a drink holder.

I was being a little facetious, but hey I would like to have my hands free!

9 hours ago, pmang said:

I have an MGI Zip Navigator and it came with a drink holder. I bought mine on Amazon. I really like that I can just walk and not have to carry or push a cart. 

yesterday I used it for the first time. In a comical moment I hit the wrong controls and basically ran myself over!

Look forward to your feedback and GoPro crash vids!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jaw2k9 said:

For me, it’s simple. I’d you already own a cart and the V2 is compatible it’s  as no brainer. If you don’t, then the alternative is a no brainer. 

i can’t see butting a cart then buying the wheels.  But that’s just me. 

that’s where my thought process started, but the V2 comments were so positive…

10 hours ago, 596 said:

10 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

Stewart Q Follow is what I decided on and so glad I did.  5 stars!!

The Steward Follow looks pretty sick and would totally unencumber my walk. Seems like the cost is climbing for a cutting edge product though versus the remote approaches. 

point taken though!

I've enjoyed my MGI AT this year and wouldn't have walked as much without it. While I'm still in my 30s and in shape, I don't deal well with heat over long periods and as weak as it sounds, the physical exertion of pushing a cart zonked me pretty hard after a round. 

I tend to zoom my MGI up to the ball while I plod along 100+ yards behind it. Maybe it's just me, but handsfree isn't that big of a deal and I have never been so distracted that I need something to follow like the Stewart. To each their own though. The MGI turns on a freaking dime, even moving at the fastest speeds. 

I got the one from Costco, can always return the thing if I want 🙂https://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navigator-at%2c-all-terrain-electric-golf-cart-bundle.product.100504700.html

• Like 1

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

9 minutes ago, roll - gybe said:

The Steward Follow looks pretty sick and would totally unencumber my walk. Seems like the cost is climbing for a cutting edge product though versus the remote approaches. 

point taken though!

The price of the X9 or X10 has not changed in 2 years.  I bought mine 2 years ago at that price.

On 9/7/2021 at 7:09 PM, Precis1on said:

I've enjoyed my MGI AT this year and wouldn't have walked as much without it. While I'm still in my 30s and in shape, I don't deal well with heat over long periods and as weak as it sounds, the physical exertion of pushing a cart zonked me pretty hard after a round. 

I tend to zoom my MGI up to the ball while I plod along 100+ yards behind it. Maybe it's just me, but handsfree isn't that big of a deal and I have never been so distracted that I need something to follow like the Stewart. To each their own though. The MGI turns on a freaking dime, even moving at the fastest speeds. 

I got the one from Costco, can always return the thing if I want 🙂https://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navigator-at%2c-all-terrain-electric-golf-cart-bundle.product.100504700.html

I couldn't agree more - This purchase was a game changer for me. I've got over 40 rounds on my Z.N-AT.  Is it perfect, no, are there others our there as good or better, probably but I have 0 Regrets with the purchase.

One thing I can rave about is the general use ease of setting up and breaking down each time I use it and the battery Life. I have actually yet to see the indicator move.  I have played 18, 36 and 45 holes with this thing without any change in performance.

Things I have changed:

1.) My Sun Mountain 4.5LS shifted a lot during the round and got tied of it so I have added to small bumps on the top of the cart to hold the bag in place (homemade ClicGear Cozy). THAT RESOLVED THE THE BAG SHIFTING. ($4.00)

2.) The cart with my bag on it was a bit top heavy and resulted in many wheelies and a few tip-overs. I purchased a 6lb weight used for a diving belt and velcro'd that to the base where the bag sits. - THAT RESOLVED THE WHEELIE and Tip-OVER ISSUES. ($35.00)

Things I would change or plan on changing:

1.) Make it WaterProof.  I am terrified of smoking the electronics getting stuck in a heavy rain storm so when the forecast calls for that, I'm carrying. I've gone through a few small puddles (casual water in the fairway/rough, etc and been caught in a drizzle but it would be nice to not worry about that.

2.) Storage - A small net or bag underneath would be nice, but not a show stopper.

I do own the V2 coupled with a Clic Gear and the conversion kit.  As mentioned above, if you have a push cart today that you like, then the V2 is the way to go.  If you don't have a cart, I would go with an all in one vs. the V2 + cart.  My final choices prior to purchasing the V2 was a CARTTEK out of Oregon.  Seemed like a great company, good service, quality product, etc.  But then again I think the Zip is all that as well.  

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

PXG Gen 5 5I-GW
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels