P90X DVD

Emperoryder

After an Ebay debacle where the auction got shut down (I got my money back), I ordered p90x last night from Beachbody. You really do have to becareful when checking out, they try selling you everything but the kitchen sink! Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting starting. I'm sure it's going to be rough, but it's better than what I'm doing now. Nothing!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After an Ebay debacle where the auction got shut down (I got my money back), I ordered p90x last night from Beachbody. You really do have to becareful when checking out, they try selling you everything but the kitchen sink! Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting starting. I'm sure it's going to be rough, but it's better than what I'm doing now. Nothing!

I can't believe that I can say this, but there is one advantage we have in Canada then. My understanding is it is only available through Beachbody in the States, whereas my wife was able to grab it right at a store. No selling of extra stuff.

Glad to hear you got your money back.

What an awesome series of workouts. I first thought it was a goofy infomertial but a couple friends and I tried to get it anyway. 3 of the 5 kept up with it with great results. This was up to thanksgiving so the holidays hurt a bit now with the year already 50 plus days in we are getting going and the adjust of Titleist Performance Institute Screening to work further on specific golf related weaknesses.

Finishes week one, and I feel alot stronger in my legs and lower legs especially. My major weak spots are legs, and shoulders... Shoulders still need work, and Im being careful with them... but so far so good. I also have more energy than before. Im not following the diet as much, just trying to eat normal, reasonable meals, cutting out the sugar, limiting the bread. Im feeling good. Yoga kicked my a**, though. Downward dog is my enemy, and I hate it with a passion.

Day 4 for me. OUCH am I sore. Yoga today, can't wait (yea right). The wife and I started on Friday and we havent truned it off early once (yet). We are determined to finish it. I think we push each other well. I hope it results in a better swing with more flexability and better stamina. Hopefully being more consistant and a little stronger and lighter.

Update.....

The wife and I are on week 5. Going back a little because of recent illness. Thankfully we have both lost some decent numbers and our stamina has improved. The only drawback is when I play a round now, I only feel like I am loose if a do a lot of warmup. I think I will incorporate some yoga moves and stretching to get loose before the round. I start just as stiff as before the program, but when I loosen up I am far more ready for action!

I got a 30 dollar pull-up bar that rests on a door frame... no screws or nails involved, but I did put a screw in at a 45 deg. angle so the back bar doesnt slide down and kill me while IM doing a pull up. I have 35 lb weights, but will get some 20s today... A guy I know who is a big guy is using 25s, and will move on to heavier weights later on.

I bought a set of the Weider adjustable dumbells. Not cheap but I got them when Sears had them on sale for 250. That way I can go from 10 - 50 lbs and it doesn't take alot of room. That's been working good for me since I use 10 lbs on some stuff and I'm using 45 on some of the back excercises.

It also doesn't limit me when I'm ready to up the weight on an excercise unless I'm at 50 lbs. They are a bit bulky though.

Just ordered P90x and starting to get all of the "equipment" in order. What is everyone using for the chin-up bar? My door frames are a little thicker than most (6-7 inches), I think, and I don't want to screw anything into my frame...any suggestions? Also, what kind of weights is everyone using?

The kind of pull up bar (like the Iron gym) that hooks into the door frame won't fit in a 6" door frame.

I have both resistance bands (for travelling) and Nautilus select tech dumbells that can be adjusted up to 52.5 lbs. And a yoga mat.

I just started tonight. I'm doing the lean version first so my first workout was core synergistics. If anyone is still skeptical about this program try one workout and you will know it is for real. Also, there is no way this program will not improve my game and swing as you pound the core mucles, flexibility, strength ect... It's certainly hard but I would honestly say the extra level of fitness will translate to at the minimum a few strokes a side just from be mentally stronger.

I'll post this just for motivation. I'm in the middle of my 5th week and I can tell you all that are just starting to stick with it. I started at at 212 pounds (I'm a little over 6 ft tall) and today I'm exactly 200 pounds. I'm doing the classic version so I'm gaining a good amount of muscle while shedding fat so while I have only lost 12 pounds I have lost more fat than that number suggests. I was in size 36 pants and now my 34's are almost to big. I don't use the p90x diet. What I'm doing is just eating sensibly. Cut out probably 75% of my fried food intake, cut out sodas and any kind of cakes or cookies. I eat a very small breakfast like a 100 calorie pack of some sort. I have an average lunch like some grilled chicken and a baked potato and maybe a side salad. A small snack in the afternoon and then a decent dinner. I throw in a protein shake befor bed and thats it. The first 3 weeks I felt hungry all day but now I'm used to it and sometimes don't even eat all my food. Energy level is WAY up and the mental aspect is definitely positive. To show the strength that you can gain, the first week on the chest and back dvd I could do maybe 12 of each kind of push up each time through. Today when I did it I was doing 25-30 of each one each time through. Now I don't even look forward to break time because I'm able to handle the workouts so much better. My goal is 190-193 pounds and a lot leaner than I am now. Anyway you people that are just starting, stick with it. You will be glad you did in a month or so. Just be prepared for plyometrics and core synergistics.

I'll post this just for motivation. I'm in the middle of my 5th week and I can tell you all that are just starting to stick with it. I started at at 212 pounds (I'm a little over 6 ft tall) and today I'm exactly 200 pounds. I'm doing the classic version so I'm gaining a good amount of muscle while shedding fat so while I have only lost 12 pounds I have lost more fat than that number suggests. I was in size 36 pants and now my 34's are almost to big. I don't use the p90x diet. What I'm doing is just eating sensibly. Cut out probably 75% of my fried food intake, cut out sodas and any kind of cakes or cookies. I eat a very small breakfast like a 100 calorie pack of some sort. I have an average lunch like some grilled chicken and a baked potato and maybe a side salad. A small snack in the afternoon and then a decent dinner. I throw in a protein shake befor bed and thats it. The first 3 weeks I felt hungry all day but now I'm used to it and sometimes don't even eat all my food. Energy level is WAY up and the mental aspect is definitely positive. To show the strength that you can gain, the first week on the chest and back dvd I could do maybe 12 of each kind of push up each time through. Today when I did it I was doing 25-30 of each one each time through. Now I don't even look forward to break time because I'm able to handle the workouts so much better. My goal is 190-193 pounds and a lot leaner than I am now. Anyway you people that are just starting, stick with it. You will be glad you did in a month or so. Just be prepared for plyometrics and core synergistics.

Im not using the P90 diet either, but I wonder if I should cut back on my intake here... I usually have a small sandwhich or fruit shake with coffee for breakfast, and a large sandwich for lunch, and a large salad for dinner, sometimes with chicken and beef too, depends on whether i had a decent lunch or not... Im trying to cut back on the sugars, cept for a couple spoons in my coffee in the morning... Im just really weary of feeling run down, or hungry all the time since this routine and all of this activity is new to me.

I'm on the fence about ordering P90X, maybe you guys can help me out. I'm a 26 years old former athlete (junior hockey), but carrying a lot of weight these days. I am 5'11" and 250lbs with a torn meniscus in my right knee that acts up from time to time. I'm pretty active, despite my weight, playing hockey twice a week and doing a light workout at the gym 3 days a week. I'm really intrigued by the no nonsense hard-work approach and the results people are getting, but I'm concerned that it may be too much for a guy my size with a bum knee. I'd love to hear from others who have started the program in similar shape to me and how they faired. I'm truly motivated to do the work necessary, just curious if this is the best approach given my current fitness level.

Cheers

Titleist TS3 10.5* w/ Diamana Ltd. D+ White 70
Titleist TS2 16.5* w/ Diamana Ltd. D+ White 80
Titleist TS2 21* w/ Diamana Litd. D+ White 80
Titleist U500 4i w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Titleist T100-S 5-PW (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Vokey SM8 50.12F Brushed Steel w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Vokey SM8 54.12D Brushed Steel (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Vokey SM8 60.12D Brushed Steel w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select 34.5” (Heavy)
Titleist 2019 ProV1x

Im not using the P90 diet either, but I wonder if I should cut back on my intake here... I usually have a small sandwhich or fruit shake with coffee for breakfast, and a large sandwich for lunch, and a large salad for dinner, sometimes with chicken and beef too, depends on whether i had a decent lunch or not... Im trying to cut back on the sugars, cept for a couple spoons in my coffee in the morning... Im just really weary of feeling run down, or hungry all the time since this routine and all of this activity is new to me.
Thrown in some snacks.

I eat a bagel for breakfast, a 1/2 clif bar at around 10, lunch at 12, the other 1/2 of the bar or a piece of fruit around 2, protein shake after my workout, then dinner around 6 or 7.

I'm on the fence about ordering P90X, maybe you guys can help me out. I'm a 26 years old former athlete (junior hockey), but carrying a lot of weight these days. I am 5'11" and 250lbs with a torn meniscus in my right knee that acts up from time to time. I'm pretty active, despite my weight, playing hockey twice a week and doing a light workout at the gym 3 days a week. I'm really intrigued by the no nonsense hard-work approach and the results people are getting, but I'm concerned that it may be too much for a guy my size with a bum knee. I'd love to hear from others who have started the program in similar shape to me and how they faired. I'm truly motivated to do the work necessary, just curious if this is the best approach given my current fitness level.

Cheers

I believe HoganFan posted somewhere in this thread that he has knee problems but was doing P90x (minus the plyo)... Dig around, Im sure you will find it.

Thrown in some snacks.

I eat a bagel for breakfast, a 1/2 clif bar at around 10, lunch at 12, the other 1/2 of the bar or a piece of fruit around 2, protein shake after my workout, then dinner around 6 or 7.

Oops, my writing sucks. What I was worried about was eating too much. I eat plenty right now, but my question was how much should I scale back? I feel like an hour a day is alot of exercise and energy, which requires regular meals, and not just a bunch of salad all day. Are you guys just eating sensible (cutting out junk and unneeded foods), OR sensible + cutting back calories.

Thrown in some snacks.

Oops, my writing sucks. What I was worried about was eating too much. I eat plenty right now, but my question was how much should I scale back? I feel like an hour a day is alot of exercise and energy, which requires regular meals, and not just a bunch of salad all day. Are you guys just eating sensible (cutting out junk and unneeded foods), OR sensible + cutting back calories.

Something I saw on the Biggest Loser TV show, the trainer Bob was talking about how to eat while working out. One of the contestants cut his calorie intake WAY back, and he stopped loosing wait. Bob explained that he wasn't getting enough calories in his diet, to fuel his body. Which is why he was feeling tired all the time, and because he was tired all the time, his body was not working efficiently and he wasn't burning any calories either. He kinda put himself into starving mode.

The key is a balance. Not over-eating of course, but eating enough to keep you going.

Just something to think about that I heard that may help.

Cheers

do it and don't complain. there is a guy in the plyo workouts with a prosthetic leg, if he can do it so can you, you just might have to modify some of the leg stuff, in the end it will be better for you with stronger leg muscles. If you can play hockey you can do p90x.

Cheers

IMO, there are better programs for you than P90X. The X has some pretty high impact exercises in it, and those will not help your knee. I think the best thing you can do is go on the beachbody forums (http://forums.teambeachbody.com/eve) and ask for opinions there. They have a lot of knowledgeable, motivated folks who can help you find the program that's right for you.

Thrown in some snacks.

Did you get and read the nutrition guide? One of the things in there is the formula to determine how many calories per day you should be eating while doing P90X. Once you have that, you can cut up to 500 calories per day from that number. Any less and you risk going into starvation mode, which means your body will hoard it's fat reserves and burn muscle to make up the deficit.

My guess if you are weary and hungry is that you are not eating enough or you may need some more carbs if you really cut those back. A common recommendation I've seen for people that feel that way is to eat another 100 - 200 calories a day for a while to see if that helps them out.

I weighed in at 234 on day 0. I should be eating 3000 calories per day. However P90X is not a weight loss program, the diet is designed to help you maintain your weight while building muscle/lossing fat. So I dropped down to 2400 calorie per day. That's because 2400 calories is where my intake would be based on my weight goal. I normaly fluctuate between 2000 and 2400 calories per day. I have lost almost 20 lbs in 7 weeks.

I am trying to use the P90X diet as a guideline. For example I'm in phase 2 so I should have the following ratios in my diet 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat. I use myfitnesspal to track what I eat. I'm not always perfect but pretty close.

One of the things I have heard a enough times so that I believe it's probably true is that P90X results are 75 - 80% based on the diet. I'm sure if i was able to follow things closer that I'd be getting better results.

My recomendation is to use myfitnesspal or another calorie tracking website to see how much you are eating. I find that it doesn't take alot of time to do especially once you start building the list of foods you normally eat. That will tell you more about your diet and shed some light on why you might be feeling the way you do.

Cheers

I don't know if it's the best approach. I have tendonitis in my right knee. So on the leg day and the plyo day there are a couple things that I won't even try because they put too much stress on the knee. Outside of that I follow all the routines to the best of my abilities. Tony does talk about working around your limitations in some of the workouts. He shattered a knee skiing so some days he has to modify things based on how he's feeling. He makes another comment that just because you can't do an excercise doesn't mean you scrap everything. You work around it and do your best.

Most of the workouts are pullups, pushups, curls etc. The leg work, 1 day a week, is a mix of squats and lunges, along with wall squats. Plyo is a bunch of jumping and you can swap it out for the cardio disk if it's too hard to do. That is what they say at the start of the plyo disk, so you are still following the P90X program if you make that swap.

My guess is if you can play hockey, then you should be able to do at least 80% of this workout program.