Joined a Men's league

Decided to try and up my golf game by joining a men's league. The group plays out of Hopkinsville, KY and the nicest gentleman ever. We play Western Hills Golf Course, and I am playing off the senior tees. I did okay for the  first time hitting my 17 hdcp on the number, an 89. The first nine was really good as we played the back nine first. The costs were very reasonable, so that is good. I was the D player with the 17. On the front I tied the C player, so felt good about that. It was rather cool in the morning, then warmed up. I was very nervous playing in this format. I thought it would be a scramble, but you play your own ball, and they take the best three shots on each hole, so I have a lot to learn here. If I am not to sore I plan to play tomorrow. This format really puts the pressure on your shots, so I will have to learn how to deal with it better. But this format is the best for increasing ones skill as well. I have been playing with a player who is not as good as I am, so these guys showed me a lot of skill, and also the way they talked their way around the course. I am not used to playing with guys who always get up and down for par. I seen some great shots, and was shown better ways to approach the hole, just amazing. These guys can play. 

• Like 3

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I had two rough days, probably due to dizziness from the medication I was taking. So not to happy with that. Today was much better and I was only one stroke behind the B player, and they have me at D player. The C player shot my score last game, a 93, and today I had an 85, 45 front and 40 back. My take from playing with these guys, I am better than I thought I was. There short game is impressive, they usually chip and one putt.  Length wise I am right there with them, as I have improved with a stretching program.  Putting is a problem for all of us. The A player usually  has amazing length and a superb short game, always under 80 and near par most times. I tied the B player on the back. This competition really blares out my short comings hard and fast, it is not easy at all like I thought it would be. I hope that the next week, done with the antibiotics, brings back lower scores. I also hope to keep up with the short game, as these guys can really chip. They have amazing control. My goal is C player next year as I am already close to it now. The B players have a bit of an edge over me right now, but not much.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Decided to take a break from the men's league and played Eastland Greens to see if my game has improved. I shot an 83 and was very surprised. I was also wearing four layers of clothing as it was 41*F when I started . The driver was hot and accurate on most fairways. That 7 wood really comes through for me as it will go and carry hazards with no problem, and has been a real game changer for sure. I am sticking with this set for now, except the chipping iron as that is an ongoing experiment. The Ping S 56 has that role now and did I chip one in with it. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Played Friday and Saturday. Played in the men's league Friday and shot an 83, so starting to relax and strike the ball better. I am still a D played that is doing quite well, with an 85 and now 83. Played Saturday with my old golf bud and he is not happy as he can tell that Tournament Golf has really elevated my game quite a bit. When he has somewhat of a chance to catch me, I just pull away again. I told him that I can't wait till he can join us. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

The best part of this league is the comradery that exists here. If you have thin skin they will find it out. Just a super friendly bunch, and so glad my golf game improved so I can be a part of it. Playing along side A players is an eye opener. I am starting to  pick up the course management side of it playing with these guys. The biggest strengths of the A and B players is chipping and reading the greens. Also they do not let frustrations from a previous shot discourage them at all. 

• Like 3

Bag is in overhaul mode

5 hours ago, platgof said:

The best part of this league is the comradery that exists here. If you have thin skin they will find it out. Just a super friendly bunch, and so glad my golf game improved so I can be a part of it. Playing along side A players is an eye opener. I am starting to  pick up the course management side of it playing with these guys. The biggest strengths of the A and B players is chipping and reading the greens. Also they do not let frustrations from a previous shot discourage them at all. 

Chipping and putting are the most over looked areas of most mid cap players.. 

Anytime I go to my local range to hit balls its full of folks out there banging away with the driver... I hit a bucket of balls with just my wedges... 

Then it's time to work on the putting.. I have played  some of my best golf this year.. Manly from putting in a ton of effort into my putting.. I started working with a dedicated putting coach 

Played a few weeks ago with a couple of scratch golfers and I putted circles around them.. Putter was on fire that day.. I just wish it would work like that all the time.. 

One other thing I have really worked on this year  is not focusing on the score card.. What I mean by that.. is not letting thoee bad shots creep Into my head.. 

Put one in the water or ob.. Take the drop and move on.. As my coach said jokingly one day.. You're not good enough to get mad.. Enjoy the game for what it is 

• Like 1

Played today and shot an 82! This is my best yet in league play, 43 front and 39 back. I am leaving a lot of shots out there, and that is so frustrating. I should have shot 76 and I know it. Today was one of those gorgeous days that feels amazing. Just a little cool breeze to make it awesome. Rode with a legend A player. This guy was an All Army semi pro golfer. He played 12 rounds of 18 hole golf in one day, at 1 1/2 hours each round, and shot even par, a real beast. These are the guys that really help my game. I think I beat the C player again, lol!! Next year I will be a C player if I keep improving!! But being one of the better D players is okay too.

• Like 2

Bag is in overhaul mode

So much for leaving shots out there! Shot 86 Wed with two birdies. So far I am doing great on the money as I have won $40. The buy in is only $9 and that keeps it friendly. Had a chance to play with Jim again. Jim opened Western Hills Golf Course as the club pro in 1985!! He has a wealth of information and was the superintendent for many years also.  Playing with the A players really opens up your mind to strategic golf. 

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Enjoyed reading about your experiences @platgof.  Somewhat similar to my own when i joined a men's group 4 years ago.  I found my game got measurably better the first season.  It was noticeable the effect of playing with better players and what that had on my own play as well as my strategy for playing certain holes.

I've slid back some since those days for a number of reasons, but I do know that the quickest way to get better at most any sport is to play with better players.  You pickup quite a bit by osmosis.😎

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks for the positive comments scomac. Took a break today, being a wuss. You see your game very clearly when playing and riding with an A player. But it is a blast when I am able to tie a hole with one, or get the birdie. I never thought I would get this opportunity but it may pass, as I am looking at getting back to work, and put golf on hold for who knows how long! Got to pay the bills somehow!

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 4 weeks later...

Played Thursday and it was windy and cold. The kind of wind that gets to the bones. Shot 90 with 4 blow up holes. The front nine was rough dealing with the wind, but the game turned for the better on the back nine with a birdie. The wind had already got into my head, so that was that. Cold and wind no good. Then last night a storm rolled across Louisiana to Illinois and racked some serious destruction and death, including a tornado nearby. It kept a lot of people up last night.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Tomorrow will be my last game for probably quite some time. I thought I was retired, but just bored out of my mine. You can only play so much golf at my age. It takes a day to recover from each round, as the body gets very sore. So back to work on the 20th, and really glad to be going back to work as I miss using my skills and tools as I have a great tool box. It took three of us to get it on a trailer, it is that heavy. The forklift at work grunts trying to lift it. Golf is more fun when it is harder to get a tee time. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 7 months later...

Finally, fully retired now. I am having a blast playing in the men's league. I am still a D player, but playing really well right now. I am averaging 80.8 over the last 5 games, so something got better. I think playing with these guys helps my game a lot. Their short game really stands out, especially chipping. Shot 37 and 41, and was just beat on the back as the humidity was choking. My driver was amazing at times. Being exhausted on the back nine really cost me a lot of strokes. What a great bunch of guys to play with.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 1 month later...

I am bouncing between being a C or D player. For some reason I was shooting a couple of 78 rounds, then went back to 82-85, then 79 pops up last Thursday! The pro in our group was very pleased with my game. What a great group of guys to play with. I am getting the most out of it by watching them and learning their techniques with the game. Our A player shot 75 and is a recognized pro at other courses in the USA. I had a lot of GIR's and need to be more focused, especially the second round when everyone gets tired.

Edited by platgof
forgot something

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I am officially a "C" player now. I keep hovering around 80 which is a C player's score. I am hitting the wall at 80 right now and not sure how to get over it. I improved my putting so that helps. The mental game is next on my list, and my health has been slacking quite a bit.

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 4 months later...

Well, I am back to being a "D" player as my hdcp shot up a bit. However, today I shot an 81 that surprised even me. The weather was absolutely perfect and hit 64* F. I really enjoyed my playing partners, we had so much fun. I stunk up the front nine with a 43 but came back with a 38 on the back. Did not check to see if we won money or not, hope to play Thursday. I feel so privileged to be able to play with these guys, just awesome. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 1 month later...

Taking a break from the men's league until my game picks up. After that I shoot a 76! Maybe the stress was getting to me from playing poorly. I will give it another shot later on after the grass starts growing again. That 76 was a real shocker.

Bag is in overhaul mode