Lie Angle Adjustment as Shaft Gets Longer Question

CKaneb

I know that the standard rule is that "for every half inch longer you make a shaft, you need to go 1° upright", but I am wondering if you break the shaft increase length down to quarter inches the rule stays the same. I am experimenting with shaft length for my irons because I am on the taller side (6'7") and I am trying to find the shortest length irons I can play so that I can still play the heavy shafts I want to play without playing them at an E swing weight. As of right now I have a set of Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100's that are 1.5" above standard and the heads that were on them were 3° upright. I remeasured my wrist to floor and I got 39" which leads me to wanting to try to do 3/4" above standard instead of 1.5". As a result I am asking if that means I should get my lie angles bent to 1.5° upright or I should round up or down and get them bent to 1° or 2° upright. Any suggestions as well as your reasoning why would be awesome

Driver: PING G400 LST 10° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua 59X Tour Issue

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (@ 14.25°, A4 SureFit Setting) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8-X

5 Wood: Titleist TS2 18° (@ 18°, D4 SureFit Setting) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8-X

Irons: TaylorMade P760 (4-PW) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (52°-12, 56°-13), Titleist Vokey SM7 Tour Issue (60°-04L) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Onyx Wedge S400

Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Ardmore 2 "L Neck" 

Grips: Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compound Midsize, Winn Dri-Tac X Putter

Ball: Titleist AVX

Bag: Titleist Linksmaster

12 minutes ago, CKaneb said:

I know that the standard rule is that "for every half inch longer you make a shaft, you need to go 1° upright", but I am wondering if you break the shaft increase length down to quarter inches the rule stays the same. I am experimenting with shaft length for my irons because I am on the taller side (6'7") and I am trying to find the shortest length irons I can play so that I can still play the heavy shafts I want to play without playing them at an E swing weight. As of right now I have a set of Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100's that are 1.5" above standard and the heads that were on them were 3° upright. I remeasured my wrist to floor and I got 39" which leads me to wanting to try to do 3/4" above standard instead of 1.5". As a result I am asking if that means I should get my lie angles bent to 1.5° upright or I should round up or down and get them bent to 1° or 2° upright. Any suggestions as well as your reasoning why would be awesome

For every half inch longer you make a shaft, you need to go 1º FLATTER, not upright.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dokex said:

For every half inch longer you make a shaft, you need to go 1º FLATTER, not upright.

wait what. Is this like a cardinal rule or does strike also play a factor because my miss is usually toe side. Isn't it usually you need to go flatter if you're hitting it out of the heel?

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (@ 14.25°, A4 SureFit Setting) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8-X

5 Wood: Titleist TS2 18° (@ 18°, D4 SureFit Setting) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8-X

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (52°-12, 56°-13), Titleist Vokey SM7 Tour Issue (60°-04L) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Onyx Wedge S400

27 minutes ago, dokex said:

??

It also takes a lot of lie angle adjustment to have a significant effect on the ball flight path. Your swing is the main factor in whether the ball goes left or right. Changing lie angle is just a very fine tuning of the result, and since your swing is what counts the most you need to see how the clubs react with your swing before deciding if lie adjustment is warranted, and if so in which direction.

Edited by Billfitz
  • Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with senior flex graphite shafts

JumboMax Ultra Lite size M on driver, size S on the rest

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

2 hours ago, CKaneb said:

I know that the standard rule is that "for every half inch longer you make a shaft, you need to go 1° upright"

You are confusing the static measurements relationship between length and lie with adjustments made to correct heel or toe strikes. 

For every 1/2” you make a club longer, the club will PLAY 1° more upright.  Conversely, 1/2” shorter and the club will PLAY 1° flatter.

• Like 2

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize