New Garmin Fenix 7 - Touch Screen!

Garmin released the Fenix 7 in the last 24 hours. The Fenix lineup finally gets a touch screen (that you can also turn off). Anyone know if the Golf app functionality will be the same as the S62? I can not find information anywhere about this specific question. I tried the S62 and loved the touch screen functionality for my golf game but the watch wasn't adequate in build quality and applications for all my other sports - running, mountain biking, indoor cycling, windsurfing, skate XC skiing, etc. Would be super stoked if the Fenix 7 did everything.

I purchased an EPIX Gen 2, and from what I read the golf functionality was the same as their dedicated golf GPS watches.  I believe the Fenix 7 was the same.  All the same features of the golf centric Garmin watches with all the other sports/health features as well.  Although, I can't comment on if one or the other is easier to use...I haven't had a chance to really test it (walked one hole with it and it seemed spot on)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 6:03 PM, Murdock said:

I purchased an EPIX Gen 2, and from what I read the golf functionality was the same as their dedicated golf GPS watches.  I believe the Fenix 7 was the same.  All the same features of the golf centric Garmin watches with all the other sports/health features as well.  Although, I can't comment on if one or the other is easier to use...I haven't had a chance to really test it (walked one hole with it and it seemed spot on)

Did you test out the watch yet? Does it have the virtual caddy?

6 hours ago, 3PuttPro said:

Did you test out the watch yet? Does it have the virtual caddy?

Haven't tested it for a full round, plan on doing it this weekend.  But I'm certain it.doesnt have virtual caddy, Garmin website says only on the S62 and Marq golfer watches.  I learned also, I believe the S62 and Marq are the only ones that show wind speed/direction, which is somewhat a letdown.  My Z82 rangefinder shows the wind, so I ended up keeping that instead of selling it.

One would hope the newer Fenix and epix would get the same functionality as the Marq, because who wants to spend the extra money for a Marq for a few minor upgrades for golf, but serious downgraded when it comes to sensor and build hardware

Epix = Full Fenix sport functionality, plus OLED screen brightness and more screen pixels and colors like other mainstream smart watches.  Reduced battery life compared to Fenix line, battery life probably not quite as good as S62 unless you turn off a lot of always on features.

Fenix = Struggling to see the benefit of Fenix 7 over Fenix 6, I'm sure there are some improvements embedded in the feature set.

S62 and Mark = Still the only two models with Virtual Caddie and wind speed, Marq model is really expensive for the features you get over the S62.

• Thanks 1

@3PuttPro, same as what @nezander said basically.  It's a full fledged high end sport/health tracking watch.  Plus has 95% of the golf functions the Marq/S62 has.  I can live without the virtual caddie and wind, since I've already got the Z82 rangefinder.  

Personally, I don't see why you wouldn't pay the extra money for the Epix2 with the AMOLED screen.  Look at all the very in depth reviews from DC Rainmaker, who's probably the most detailed reviewer out there.  

the newer models, beginning with the new Venu apparently, use new updated health sensors and things like the sleep app has been upgraded (think the app has been upgraded on the older models as well).  It seems extremely accurate and tracks everything well.  Plus I believe the GPS sensor or satellites have been upgraded as well, that seems WAY more accurate than my old instinct Solar. 

Honestly, battery life is pretty darn good.  Way better than a Samsung smart watch I had.  I'm getting 5-6 days per charge, which is fine with me.  I'm not running anything overly stripped down either, just recommended settings.

Overall I'm very happy and impressed with the Epix2.  Will update how the golf functionality is after this weekend.  But honestly I was really only looking for the Auto shot function of the golf app, as my old watch didn't have it.  

Edited by Murdock
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, I do miss having an AMOLED screen on my S62.  It's one of the features I miss the most.  And I really would like to add all of the other functionality that the higher end models have, because I hike, bike, etc.  But, my S62 can run for two weeks if I don't play any golf, and run for a week if I play 2 or 3 rounds.  There's no way the Epix can match that, and the Fenix doesn't have the AMOLED screen, and Marq, which ticks pretty much every box is $1500 or whatever.   

It sounds like I'm b****ing, I really don't mean to.  They're all great products and it's not exactly surprising you can't get every feature you want at an affordable price.

Everyone is different, obviously, but I don't find it a hassle whatsoever to charge the Epix once a week or so.  I haven't timed it but I'd guess 1 to 1.5 hours for a full charge.  I'll try and time it, but I'm sure DC Rainmaker has.

TBH I'm not sure who would buy a Marq at this point.  Unless they've upgraded the sensors and everything with the hardware to match the new Venu/Fenix/Epix.  

Worth mentioning that I've observed the wind to not be very accurate.  It's 'okay' for general guidance, but because of the spread out weather stations/data they use, you could be getting wind results from 20 miles away.  It's not like they use the PWS network, they use some worldwide weather data service (can't recall name and I'm on my phone but it's easily to find). 

@3PuttPro sorry for the delayed response, I haven't had much time behind the computer this week...and I figured it would be too much to type over phone.  First off, congrats!!  I'm sure you'll love the EPIX.  I don't have any complaints about it personally!  Thought it might be too heavy, coming from the Instinct, but surprisingly I couldn't tell the weight difference.  

In regards to the golf functionality, and coming from never having used a gps watch and/or shot tracking....I think I'd classify it as 'undetermined'.  The GPS seemed to work great, I'm just not used to tinkering with my watch before a shot, and I was the one driving the cart at a new course.  Plus I have a Garmin Z82, with the GPS and rangefinder in one, so I honestly didn't plan to use the actual GPS too much on the watch. 

Mainly I wanted it for shot tracking (Autoshot they call it).  But, because I don't have the tags, the watch asks you to input which club you hit everytime...and quite frankly I forgot to input my club after each shot multiple times.  It doesn't auto register chips/putts unless you have the club sensors/tags, so you have to input those manually after each hole.  As I use it for more rounds, I figure I'll get used to using it and remember. 

What was strange, is the next day when I looked at the actual data in my Garmin Golf app, I initially was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to (mostly) get all of my shots correct.  This is because I swore that I screwed up a couple of times (there was one erroneous shot on the first or second hole, which was easily deleted).  However, as I got to hole 13...everything went haywire (and this was when I thought I was kind of getting the hang of it).  It registered 10 shots on that hole and none on the next few holes until #17.   I do know that I input my hole score after each hole, which I thought 'reset' the tracking...but I guess it didn't.  Only thing I can think it would be attributed to was these holes kind of overlapped and were right on top of each other.  I'm waiting on a response to Garmin to see if there's some way I can manually transfer shots to a different hole, otherwise this round's data is shot.  Also, what I didn't like was if you mess up and select the wrong club (it auto defaults to driver each time and you have to scroll down for the club), you can't change the club on the watch...at least from what I was able to gather.  

So I think the club tracking would be ideal if you are either walking or riding.  Kind of hard to keep the pace up if you're driving, while also trying to select things on your watch.  Doesn't sound very difficult, but mix some adult beverages into the equation at an unfamiliar course and you could see how things could get wonky.  

I did notice that it zapped the battery more than normal use, which is to be expected.  For reference, I charged it I believe Thursday night, played 18 on Saturday and am down to 16 hours left (and charging it) right now (Tuesday evening).  So overall not horrible.  

On a separate note, did you see the announcement that Garmin just released green contours?   From the articles I read, it just came out the end of January.  It shows a watch on the webpage, but I saw a business insider article that didn't list the EPIX or Fenix as having this available.  Only the Z82, S60, S62, G80 and R10 (for simulator purposes).  Does show on the phone app no matter what though.   I don't pay for premium (yet), so I can't verify if it can show it on the EPIX or Fenix 7.  I posted some questions in the R10 forum on here as well.  

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/garmin-technology/golf-science/garmingolfapp/contour-data/

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220125005228/en/See-the-greens-like-never-before-with-the-introduction-of-Green-Contour-data-to-the-Garmin-Golf-app-and-compatible-devices

Edited by Murdock
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2022 at 2:08 PM, letsrig said:

Garmin released the Fenix 7 in the last 24 hours. The Fenix lineup finally gets a touch screen (that you can also turn off). Anyone know if the Golf app functionality will be the same as the S62? I can not find information anywhere about this specific question. I tried the S62 and loved the touch screen functionality for my golf game but the watch wasn't adequate in build quality and applications for all my other sports - running, mountain biking, indoor cycling, windsurfing, skate XC skiing, etc. Would be super stoked if the Fenix 7 did everything.

I can say this, the Fenix 6x Pro sapphire in Golf mode, and 51mm screen is superior to the 47mm touch screen S62 which my buddy has, though he likes his.  My big fingers don't fit S62 screen very well.  If I turn off PulseOx on 6X battery charge lasts 4-6 weeks.  I haven't found any problems with 6X, and I use many of its functions, have it on 24/7.  I like the way the screen looks, it's better than the 5X I had.  Golf functions and all other functions are no-brainer easy, and work nicely my Garmin Z82 laser/GPS unit to provide windage.

Garmin is pushing Fenix 7 Solar too, hard to find non-solar 7 version. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

@Murdock Hey so my Epix came in last Thursday and got to wear to through the weekend. Did not get to play golf with it yet, but overall I am extremely happy with the look and feel of the watch compared to my previous one. Will let you know the outcome after a round of golf with it. 

@3PuttPro glad you like it!  I'm still very happy with mine as well.  Especially the new health sensors and the upgraded sleep tracking function.  Now my wife wants me to get her one for Mother's Day!

I was able to play 27 yesterday and being more conscious of the watch, I was able to track all my shots accurately.  I would like to have a way to not count certain shots (OB, etc) towards the performance stats.  I also noticed, that the more you play, the more Garmin understands what club you'll hit where.  My first round, it defaulted to Driver everytime, but that was because it didn't have any data.  If I was say my 7I range, it would default to the 7I, so I didn't have to scroll the list of clubs everytime.  

Another tip is to just name your clubs D, 3W, 4I, etc....because I had the actual model input originally, and the screen can only show so many characters.  So I couldn't use it the first test round, because I didn't know what iron I was selecting.  Everyone started with Mizuno.

I signed up for Garmin Golf premium to get the green contours (you can do a 30 day trial).  It showed up on the Garmin Golf app on my phone, but not on my Z82 rangefinder, and not on the EPIX.  Guess the only watch that does that is the S60 or S62?  Is a really cool feature, and would be really useful on a watch....nobody wants to carry their phone with them on the putting green.  It would find you orientation and adjust/rotate the green based on your location, which was really cool.  

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on these watches?

I am having a hard time deciding which one to get.

venu 2 has all the features I need as a fitness watch but not the full hole maps. 

epix has everything but it is also a lot more than I need.

Fenix7 has everything and is cheaper but of course missing the amoled screen.

I will be using the watch as a golf gps, smart watch and as a tool to get in better shape. Any input is welcome.

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]

I'm in the market and still undecided- Originally was interested in the Fenix 7X Sapphire but then learned about the Epix 2 Sapphire. Still considering Apple Watch Series 7 and possibly the Tag Heuer Connected V3 bright black edition. 

For me, I'm after style, amoled screen, features (health), golf and the occasional bike ride with my kids. 

Still torn- If I can get a good deal on the Tag, I'll probably go that route. 

Apple and Epix are a close 2nd option. Downside is Epix 2 Sapphire isn't available for 5-8 weeks. There was one on eBay that sold for ~$275 over retail price!

Apple is available within 2-3 days delivery.

Fenix 7X readily available at good prices. 

Doesn't help anyone with their decision but at least you know I'm going through the same thing- difficult to make a decision. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2022 at 12:50 AM, 3PuttPro said:

@Murdockhave you had any issues with club prompts while playing? My watch almost never records the drive off the tee box. I have to manually add it then the rest of the hole is no issue. Then the process starts all over on the next hole. 

Not recently, I did seem to have some issues at first...but I attributed that to user error more than anything.  I have noticed that after a few rounds, it will 'default' to the club that it thinks you would be hitting from that distance.  The first couple of rounds were a pain to have to scroll all the way down the list to the club you hit, because it didn't have any data and would default on Driver.  So for instance, if you were in your 9I range, at first it would default to Driver and you'd have to scroll to 9I.  Now that it has my data, it will automatically have the club on 9I after I hit (of course, you can still adjust club if you want to)

Great news for those who were looking at the Epix 2 for golf functionality.  As I'm sure most of you know, a couple of months ago Garmin came out with 'green contours', that originally were only available on the golf-centric watches (S62 etc) and the Z82 rangefinder, R10 launch monitor (for simulator use) and select GPS devices.  You have to pay the $99 per year for Garmin Golf Premium, so it's not free.  You can get a 30 day free trial though, so it's worth testing out.  

Originally I was taken aback that the Epix 2 didn't get the green contours on the watch itself, as it has the AMOLED screen.   Well, they've apparently released it for the Epix 2!  Woo hoo!  

It's not out as an official release update just yet, but it came out with the beta version of software 8.13.  The beta software in now on version 8.15 and it's very easy to update it.  I just updated mine to 8.15, but have not had the chance to test out the green contour function.  Hopefully, it works just like the S62.

You can find the beta version 8.15 here with instructions on how to install:  https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/epix-2/291426/epix-2---software-version-8-15---public-beta 

This in my opinion makes it a complete no brainer to get the Epix 2, if you can find it, as opposed to the S62.  The green contours were the only thing missing between the two basically.  

Edited by Murdock

On 3/7/2022 at 3:47 AM, MizunoMade said:

Any updates on these watches?

I am having a hard time deciding which one to get.

venu 2 has all the features I need as a fitness watch but not the full hole maps. 

epix has everything but it is also a lot more than I need.

Fenix7 has everything and is cheaper but of course missing the amoled screen.

I will be using the watch as a golf gps, smart watch and as a tool to get in better shape. Any input is welcome.

I'm impartial to the Epix 2, being as that's the one that I got.  I just got my wife the Venu 2, and it's a nice watch but is definitely more of a fitness/health watch than sports watch.  

The release of the green contours for the Epix 2 (I'm not sure they released them for Fenix 7, as it is best viewed on AMOLED) make it a clear front runner for me.  Also, you can do the 'autoshot' auto club distance tracking with the Epix (and I believe the Fenix, but not sure).  Which is a really cool feature.  Its basically like having an Arrcos system, without the tags.  

On 3/7/2022 at 2:48 PM, laopadak said:

I'm in the market and still undecided- Originally was interested in the Fenix 7X Sapphire but then learned about the Epix 2 Sapphire. Still considering Apple Watch Series 7 and possibly the Tag Heuer Connected V3 bright black edition. 

For me, I'm after style, amoled screen, features (health), golf and the occasional bike ride with my kids. 

Still torn- If I can get a good deal on the Tag, I'll probably go that route. 

Apple and Epix are a close 2nd option. Downside is Epix 2 Sapphire isn't available for 5-8 weeks. There was one on eBay that sold for ~$275 over retail price!

Apple is available within 2-3 days delivery.

Fenix 7X readily available at good prices. 

Doesn't help anyone with their decision but at least you know I'm going through the same thing- difficult to make a decision. 

I looked at the Tag as well, and quite frankly it didn't seem to have all the golf bells & whistles that the Garmin does.  Unless they've released a newer version.   Plus, the Garmin is darn near indestructible.  I have the sapphire Epix 2 with the DLC case and one day I had it halfway taken off and picked up my baby daughter....only to have the watch fall off my wrist and land flat on it's face/crystal from about 4-feet up, on porcelain tile.  My instant gut reaction was "oh no, that shattered".  A phone screen would have been toast.  To my surprise, not a single scratch anywhere.  Plus with my work I sometimes have to get into areas where the watch may rub up against nails/wood/shingles/etc....and to this day, no marks on the crystal or the case.  Previous watches would be all scratched/dinged up. 

Been very pleased with durability.  You don't have to baby it, that's for sure.  Because of the price tag, I'd feel that I would subconsciously 'baby' a Tag Heuer

Edited by Murdock
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Murdock said:

I looked at the Tag as well, and quite frankly it didn't seem to have all the golf bells & whistles that the Garmin does.  Unless they've released a newer version.   Plus, the Garmin is darn near indestructible.  I have the sapphire Epix 2 with the DLC case and one day I had it halfway taken off and picked up my baby daughter....only to have the watch fall off my wrist and land flat on it's face/crystal from about 4-feet up, on porcelain tile.  My instant gut reaction was "oh no, that shattered".  A phone screen would have been toast.  To my surprise, not a single scratch anywhere.  Plus with my work I sometimes have to get into areas where the watch may rub up against nails/wood/shingles/etc....and to this day, no marks on the crystal or the case.  Previous watches would be all scratched/dinged up. 

Been very pleased with durability.  You don't have to baby it, that's for sure.  Because of the price tag, I'd feel that I would subconsciously 'baby' a Tag Heuer

Good feedback and great to hear you like the Epix 2 Sapphire. Availability is getting better since the launch, white is what's mostly available, black is harder to get (Sapphire edition). I found a good deal on the Epix 2 Sapphire in white, 10% discount and free overnight shipping. Received about 2 weeks ago and I also ordered that special Jacquard Weave band to match, spending $1200 total for everything. Wore it for a day and decided it wasn't for me. 

Screen and features are amazing. 45mm is a good size but it didn't feel like a $1200 watch and the white just didn't do it for me. 

I've moved from the Apple Watch. I've been an Apple user since whatever iPhone V1 but the shape of watch, stigma of Apple nerds and snobs just isn't for me. 

I've decided on the latest generation, Tag e4 connected. It's pricey so I'm saving my pennies and hoping to pick-up within a month.

• Like 1