2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Strokes Gained apps / subscriptions

3 hours ago, RCGA said:

The only solution I've found is to use a scorecard. They're always available and most golf "things" accommodate them (carts, bags, push carts, etc.) 

Anyone can remember their score, so I use the 4 lines for:

2nd shot distance 

Chip/3rd shot distance 

Putt one distance

Putt two distance

Any 3rd putts are most likely within 2ft. I pace off all the putts I can and get close enough (one step per 3ft). 

Take a photo with your phone and then toss the card after the round. 

Thank you! I will give this a try. After the round, which strokes gained program/app to you use?

• Like 1

Circles (drawmorecircles.com) is fantastic! Collection through their printout (can go straight into webapp if you want) takes ~10 seconds after each hole. Easy to input post round. This method ensure the data is super accurate and the insights and actions are amazing!

https://help.drawmorecircles.com/en/articles/5427106-shot-collection

On 5/9/2022 at 2:44 AM, kiani said:

@_chs , we're actually building a tool to calculate strokes gained (among many other stats), we're still developing it but you can already use it if you want: https://golfity.com/

Please give it a try and tells us what you think!

Thanks!

Here is some feedback after I collected data today and went to input it into golfity. I stopped entering information after 2 holes because it is cumbersome.   If I am missing something, please let me know and please know that I am expressing this with the best intentions to help you improve your product.

here is a recap of my first hole.  I started on the tee box and it is 515 yards to the middle of the green.  I hit my tee shot and now have 275 to the middle of the green.  My second shot ended up 46 yards from the green.  My 3rd shot was 30 feet from the hole.  My first putt ended up 3 feet from the hole.  I made my second putt.   In order to keep me engaged with the data entry, I would prefer to not subtract 275 from 515 to know that my drive went 240 yards, 46 from 275 to know my second shot went 229 etc.....  Can you build the application so it does the math for the user?

I hope that makes sense.

Respectfully,

chs 

8 hours ago, _chs_ said:

Here is some feedback after I collected data today and went to input it into golfity. I stopped entering information after 2 holes because it is cumbersome.   If I am missing something, please let me know and please know that I am expressing this with the best intentions to help you improve your product.

here is a recap of my first hole.  I started on the tee box and it is 515 yards to the middle of the green.  I hit my tee shot and now have 275 to the middle of the green.  My second shot ended up 46 yards from the green.  My 3rd shot was 30 feet from the hole.  My first putt ended up 3 feet from the hole.  I made my second putt.   In order to keep me engaged with the data entry, I would prefer to not subtract 275 from 515 to know that my drive went 240 yards, 46 from 275 to know my second shot went 229 etc.....  Can you build the application so it does the math for the user?

I hope that makes sense.

Respectfully,

chs 

You've arrived quickly at the basic divide that any app maker has to deal with in this space. There are people whose main goal is doing a Strokes Gained analysis of the elements of their game. And there are people who want to know how far they hit the ball with each club. Sometimes the same person wants to do both, of course. 

Those two purposes require different ways of arranging and presenting the data. Strokes Gained does not really address how far you hit certain shots or hit certain clubs. Its fundamental data layout is just how far to the hole and what lie, before and after each shot.

Sounds like you want a more general GPS based mapping of where each shot ends up. Some apps and devices (like Arccos, etc.) do both functions but they are basically doing parallel computations of the Strokes Gained metrics and the distance/dispersion metrics.

Here's the problem. If you kept the ball directly between you and the hole on that tee shot and second shot then yes you can subtract to see how far the shot went. But what if your approach went over the green? What if your tee shot was 40 yards offline? 

You said your second shot was "46 yards from the green". If it was 46 yards short and online then you hit the ball 275-45=229 yards. But if it was 46 yards OVER the green then you hit the ball 275+46=321 yards. Or if it were pin high and 46 yard left of the green then you hit it something like 290 yards. 

No app that lets you enter just distance and lie is ever going to be able to compute how far you hit each shot. That requires mapping all shots in two dimensions. It's easy for the app to compute Strokes Gained's distance from the hole from a two-dimensional mapping of shots (plus the location of the hole) but it's impossible to get two-dimensional information for computing shot-traveled distances from the SG type distance and lie.

So what you're asking for is a computation that would be misleading for the majority of shots in a typical round, where the ball does not stay between you and the hole after each shot. 

12 hours ago, _chs_ said:

I hope that makes sense.

Respectfully,

chs 

@kiani  Actually I think it was user error on my part, sorry. I entered 9 holes on the website from yesterday under _chs_. 

Here was my process  on the course:

I added the following to my scorecard and based on the yardages from my SkyCaddie Watch, I wrote in the numbers.  I input on your website when I got home.  

(all distances are to the hole)
Total Yardage 515
2nd shot distance  302
Chip/3rd shot distance 275 - 
4th shot distance - 46
Putt one distance 30
Putt two distance 3

Side question -- what setting do I need to change on my phone to input data?  Nothing happens when I search a course or hit play.

On 5/9/2022 at 4:44 PM, kiani said:

@_chs , we're actually building a tool to calculate strokes gained (among many other stats), we're still developing it but you can already use it if you want: https://golfity.com/

Please give it a try and tells us what you think!

Thanks!

Long time lurker, first time poster. thanks for the approval admin.

I tried it out, and do like simplicity of it.  Very quick to enter scores and the dashboard is nice and clean.  Very much what i've been looking for.

I do think I found a but though.  Here in Australia we use meters, so thats what i've written down for my distances to enter.  I also have my profile set to meters.  I enter the data just fine, but when I go to edit a hole (after entering all holes and saving round), it looks like it has converted it to yards, but still says meters.  For example i entered a par 5 tee shot as 451 meters.  When I go to enter the round it now says 493 meters (451 m = 493 yds).  

This new value seems to be what is stored, as if I switch my profile to yards (and back) the numbers change appropriately, but are just incorrect to start.

I can do some screenshots tomorrow if I have time.

SwingU has worked well enough for me at a very reasonable subscription cost. I believe it's $24 a year. Data is not ultra precise but is 100% actionable and identifies the weakest part of my game reliably. 

You don't even have to use it during play, you can fire it up and enter a round of golf afterwards if you want to. Takes me less than 10 seconds to enter information after each hole. GPS function is accurate and helpful, doesn't track shot distance unless you tell it to.

I use the Taylormade on Course which has gives me strokes gained (I do mine against a 5 hdcp) and pretty accurate distances that I check against my rangefinder. I have been happy with it. The first round is a bit painful to get used to inputting (putts mostly) but now I don't even think about it. 

Driver.png.b4813f7acc7c451c4128476fb9862305.png

1467655129_strokesgained.jpg.f2c766f794c712bf915e06260ded66d3.jpg

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

37 minutes ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

I use the Taylormade on Course which has gives me strokes gained (I do mine against a 5 hdcp) and pretty accurate distances that I check against my rangefinder. I have been happy with it. The first round is a bit painful to get used to inputting (putts mostly) but now I don't even think about it. 

Driver.png.b4813f7acc7c451c4128476fb9862305.png

1467655129_strokesgained.jpg.f2c766f794c712bf915e06260ded66d3.jpg

In Strokes Gained terms that says you are around 7-1/2 strokes better than a 5hcp. Are you something like a +2hcp or are those stats wrong? 

The +5.00 SG: Putting sounds almost impossibly good. That's better than PGA Tour average putting. How are you inputting your first putt distances? 

• Like 1

I walk off putt distances.

I agree the putting number seems high. I canned a 20 footer on #2 (1 putt). 2 putted from 70 ft and 65 ft. Made a 15 footer on #7 (1 putt). Made a 12 footer on #12 (1 putt). Made a 9 footer on #14 (1 putt). Had my only 3 putt of the day from 50 ft on 18. The only thing I can think of is that it is not calculating penalty strokes correctly. I hit two balls O.B. (both approach shots). Also, when I am behind a tree I mark the shot as "recovery" when I have to pitch out, not sure if that impacts SG. I will admit this is wonkiest SG round I have had. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Doesn't look like it has been mentioned, but DECADE strokes gained entry is my favorite. For up to roughly 3 days after a given round, I can visualize every shot I took for a given round (not sure if this is common or not). Using the DECADE on a PC, you basically just move around shots for each hole using a simplified GPS template of each hole. Because I can remember my round, the only thing I'll record on course is putt lengths. 

I feel like it isn't explained very well above so here is a step by step process:

1. Setup hole by confirming total length, enter your score for the given hole, and length of each putt

2. Once all of the holes are setup, you start on number one green and work backwards towards tee box:

• Move pin to approximate location on the green
  • Because you've already entered you putt lengths, you just orientate your putt locations around the pin (e.g. putt length is literally radius of a circle around the pin)
  • Work back towards tee box moving your shots to approximate locations for chips, layups or approaches (since you already entered putts and score, the program will know how many other shots there are), making sure to move them to correct lies (e.g., sand, rough, fairway)

The program will automatically identify recovery situations or penalty strokes. It gives you an option at the end to modify or add these situations before you finalize the stats entry. 

Edited by Habitual Flipper

Decade also gets my vote. You can enter your shots on the app during your round, or you can enter them post round on your phone or a PC/iPad. I note on my scorecard during play how far I had from the hole on each shot as I enjoy entering the data post round. It gives me an opportunity to relive the good bad shots and question why I made poor decisions. The video library on the Decade app/website and the ability to print custom yardage books for any course is really cool as well. When playing a course for the first time the yardage book is a really valuable tool for me.