2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Spider X Hydroblast Short Slant - Release Date

Catrick_Pantlay

On 2/26/2023 at 4:29 PM, So_Cal said:

Can you comment on how it plays compared to the flow?  I actually have the flow and the face balanced.  Never rolled a slant neck but it’s tempting because I love the Spider X design and feel. 

Limited usage so far, but I was fitted for 30-40 toe hang, so the #3 fits better (30 degree hang) vs the #9 (21 degree) and the cleaner view at address are positives 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 3:24 PM, altitudegolfer15 said:

While were on the subject about the Hydroblast short slant, I was at the Genesis yesterday and had a chance to look at Rorys Putter up close and noticed it had milling. I found a couple close up pics and sure enough you can see the milling throughout the face aside from the insert. I found that interesting.

Screenshot_20230217_152005_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230217_151951_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230217_151913_Gallery.jpg

I also see milling between the face and the true path alignment 

• 3 weeks later...

The Spider X and the Hydro blasted in particular is still a tour favourite!

Rory has one.

Kurt used one with flow neck (I think) to win Arnolds 2023

https://www.golfmagic.com/equipment-news/winners-bag-what-equipment-did-kurt-kitayama-use-claim-maiden-pga-tour-win

Tom Hoge used a tour issue special (?) plumbers neck one with dark insert to make course record at Players 2023

https://www.golfwrx.com/701644/tom-hoge-witb-2022-december/

All while the SPIDER X HYDRO BLAST FLOW NECK and Single Bend is listed last on TaylorMades webpage sold at discount.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, salmon1man said:

Not much of a good look with Rory trying out a Scotty and rumors of him making some changes in the bag...

It is what it is. 

Doesn't change the fact there is a proliferation of Spider X putters in any competitive tournament. Just go to any college tournament and see how many elite golfers are using it. 

Coming from someone who exclusively used a blade putter (as per my sig), I don't think I'll ever switch back to a blade if I'm trying to shoot low. 

I can either choose to look "cool" and use a Scotty like Rory and worry about being steady with my hands OR use a modern design that practically eliminates the thought of pulls and pushes. If you swing it right, this putter genuinely feels like it swings itself and you have to really try to get it off line. 

• Like 2

TM SIM 8* Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TS2 16.5* Ventus Black 7x

Mizuno MP-32 3-PW S300

Titleist Vokey SM6 52*F, 56*F, 60*S
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 34/340g

8 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

It is what it is. 

Doesn't change the fact there is a proliferation of Spider X putters in any competitive tournament. Just go to any college tournament and see how many elite golfers are using it. 

Coming from someone who exclusively used a blade putter (as per my sig), I don't think I'll ever switch back to a blade if I'm trying to shoot low. 

I can either choose to look "cool" and use a Scotty like Rory and worry about being steady with my hands OR use a modern design that practically eliminates the thought of pulls and pushes. If you swing it right, this putter genuinely feels like it swings itself and you have to really try to get it off line. 

We all know that tour wins sell product, but in the case of Rory's putter TM has lied from the beginning! 

The less good your are at golf, the more you need a "high moi" putter like the Spider X. The bigger aiming line and insert for improved feel and topspinn is a nice bonus.

I haven't been as consistent with long puts with anser-style putters as I am with the Spider X. I tried other high MOI putters before, but since they all used to be face balanced I never felt at ease.

If Rory changes to a Anser style putter, that will not improve his putting. It would prove that he is searching for the wrong solutions. No major 2023 for Rory in that case! 😉

Edited by ShortGameGod
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

My local GolfTown just got a new shipment of these (Counted 10 units)...

Had both right handed and left handed, annoying as hell as the lefty versions have the 'no step' KBS shafts and the right handed have the stepped version. Why?? I can't stand a stepped shaft, drives me bonkers for some reason....

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
:taylormade-small: BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Cameron, and circle gets another Square, says Rory! The best Putters with the truest feel always know that Scotty Cameron is the creme de La Creme. A guy by the name of Tiger, world number one Scottie Scheffler, JT, and 60% of the PGA tour winners last year know this.

As Rory rockets in his third long putt from outside of 20 ft today in the quarterfinals of the match play. He wants a major in Augusta this year and he knows his only chance is with the Cameron Newport proto.

What else has gone in Rory's bag, Anyone? He tried some of Scheffler's vokey wedges, realized how good they were and how he longed for his old Vokey's he used to play. Threw them in the bag immediately. 

He's apparently very thrilled about negotiations with TaylorMade as per his equipment contract this year affording him room to play *some* Titleist apparently. Although the bulk of his clubs especially the woods will remain TM.

Rory, don't touch the woods!💪

0325231500.jpg

Edited by WJack13

5 hours ago, WJack13 said:

Cameron, and circle gets another Square, says Rory! The best Putters with the truest feel always know that Scotty Cameron is the creme de La Creme. A guy by the name of Tiger, world number one Scottie Scheffler, JT, and 60% of the PGA tour winners last year know this.

As Rory rockets in his third long putt from outside of 20 ft today in the quarterfinals of the match play. He wants a major in Augusta this year and he knows his only chance is with the Cameron Newport proto.

What else has gone in Rory's bag, Anyone? He tried some of Scheffler's vokey wedges, realized how good they were and how he longed for his old Vokey's he used to play. Threw them in the bag immediately. 

He's apparently very thrilled about negotiations with TaylorMade as per his equipment contract this year affording him room to play *some* Titleist apparently. Although the bulk of his clubs especially the woods will remain TM.

0325231500.jpg

I'm usually behind Rory, but now I root for him to miss every single putt, so he can collect his senses and go back to the Spider X in time for The Masters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, WJack13 said:

I don't think you praised Scotty Cameron enough. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TM SIM 8* Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TS2 16.5* Ventus Black 7x

Mizuno MP-32 3-PW S300

Titleist Vokey SM6 52*F, 56*F, 60*S
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 34/340g

21 hours ago, WJack13 said:

0325231500.jpg

Let’s be honest - JT is a bad putter and Scheffler’s putting is the weakness in his game.  I like Cameron as much as the next guy but this is a bit too much. 

• Like 3

On 3/25/2023 at 8:12 PM, ShortGameGod said:

I'm usually behind Rory, but now I root for him to miss every single putt, so he can collect his senses and go back to the Spider X in time for The Masters.

Geez... I'm all for Taylormade to no surprise, but the 'battle' between blade and mallet is real and I don't blame him for trying to change it up...

I can actually relate, and I heard Rory say this when he last abandoned the blade after a brief go last year if I recall. I'm paraphrasing, but I think it was something like, 'I feel I'm capable of hitting more dramatic putts with the blade, but have more consistency with the mallet'.

I've had the same battles, and have gone with a mallet for consistency, but I have to say I love the look of a blade and always will. Not sure why he feels the need to go to a milled Scottie, when clearly the modern blade tech is best served with an insert, albeit not as appealing to some. I clearly love the Taylormade customizable 'MyTP' blades (my latest pictures below Rors), and love the consistency of the pure roll insert, Rory has used one before to decent results, winning Bay Hill a few years ago with a TM blade....

See The New Putter Rory McIlroy Used To Win The Arnold Palmer Invitational  | Golf Monthly

TM MY TP SOTO BLADE PUTTER C.jpg

• Like 1
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
:taylormade-small: BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

On 3/27/2023 at 9:58 PM, tarrantian said:

Geez... I'm all for Taylormade to no surprise, but the 'battle' between blade and mallet is real and I don't blame him for trying to change it up...

I can actually relate, and I heard Rory say this when he last abandoned the blade after a brief go last year if I recall. I'm paraphrasing, but I think it was something like, 'I feel I'm capable of hitting more dramatic putts with the blade, but have more consistency with the mallet'.

I've had the same battles, and have gone with a mallet for consistency, but I have to say I love the look of a blade and always will. Not sure why he feels the need to go to a milled Scottie, when clearly the modern blade tech is best served with an insert, albeit not as appealing to some. I clearly love the Taylormade customizable 'MyTP' blades (my latest pictures below Rors), and love the consistency of the pure roll insert, Rory has used one before to decent results, winning Bay Hill a few years ago with a TM blade....

See The New Putter Rory McIlroy Used To Win The Arnold Palmer Invitational  | Golf Monthly

TM MY TP SOTO BLADE PUTTER C.jpg

IMO, I think one of the most significant changes in Rory’s new setup might be the grip change. Going from a Super-Stroke, that he has used for years now, to a Dancing Cameron Pistolini (i don’t think it’s a pistolini plus) is an adjustment in itself

That being said he has used the Cameron grip before, so i’m sure it’s an easy adjustment

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

On 3/26/2023 at 12:03 PM, So_Cal said:

Let’s be honest - JT is a bad putter and Scheffler’s putting is the weakness in his game.  I like Cameron as much as the next guy but this is a bit too much. 

It’s astonishing how dominant Scheffler is despite being so mediocre (for a player of his caliber) at putting. And JT is just difficult to watch on the greens, idk how many X5 models he’s gonna go through until he realizes it’s just not for him

These guys need to take a note from Fowler: experiment with various putters and just go with what works best. He has been rolling the rock lately with that Jailbird Versa setup

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

On 3/25/2023 at 8:08 PM, WJack13 said:

Cameron, and circle gets another Square, says Rory! The best Putters with the truest feel always know that Scotty Cameron is the creme de La Creme.

If you want great milled feelings I suggest you give the Mizuno M.CRAFT II a try!

I have little experience with Scottys tour models, but comparing Mizunos to Scottys retail models the Mizunos wins easy in the feel department. The Scottys feels like putting with a putter made out of stone, when you compare the feel.

https://mizunogolf.com/us/golf-clubs/m-craft-putters/

Edited by ShortGameGod
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If someone has already posted my apologies. 
These are available on TMs site. I’ll be picking one up. 
IMG_0546.jpeg.c28b11fa641ae47e85c2bc3423383170.jpeg

• Like 1

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

First round of the season under my belt now. It was with the hydroblast with slant neck. I did buy some cheap aftermarket weights from China weighing 7 g each from the stock two. Well needless to say this putter is a keeper. I had 26 puts today. Drained several clutch putts in that 5 to 10 ft range which I usually don't do.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

Rory's switching back lol

I think it's objectively safe to say that a mallet is more stable than a traditional newport like putter. 

Proof he's back to S-X?

Yes that's beyond safe to say-its a fact... Mallets, especially the spider are among the highest Moi Putters in the game. that's why PGA pro's & good golfers who struggle with their putting and can't play a true Anser style putter anymore as well, will go to the spider/mallet. Rory won quite a few Majors with the Newport if you'll recall. That was literally Rory's reason in an interview several years back for switching from newport to Spider/X.. besides the MOI, Rory basically said with the Newport putter I have to be a much better Putter and all my Strokes need to be perfect whereas the spider X allows me much more for error.. almost verbatim Rory said I have to be on point every day with the Newport whereas the spider gives me the forgiveness I need nowdays.

Cite your source that Rory is back with the Spider X Hydro?

Honestly he putted much better with the Spider x hydro. Rory and the spider X Hydro just kind of go together now imo, yep! He's more comfortable with it. That's probably because he's been playing it for many seasons now. Hell, he only went back to the Newport for 2 tournaments so... maybe that's all he felt he needed but for a fair test he should have stuck with The newport for at least a season as I recall many tournaments Rory putted horribly with the spider x too...

Just now, WJack13 said:

Proof he's back to S-X?

Yes that's beyond safe to say-its a fact... Mallets, especially the spider are among the highest Moi Putters in the game. that's why PGA pro's & good golfers who struggle with their putting and can't play a true Anser style putter anymore as well, will go to the spider/mallet. Rory won quite a few Majors with the Newport if you'll recall. That was literally Rory's reason in an interview several years back for switching from newport to Spider/X.. besides the MOI, Rory basically said with the Newport putter I have to be a much better Putter and all my Strokes need to be perfect whereas the spider X allows me much more for error.. almost verbatim Rory said I have to be on point every day with the Newport whereas the spider gives me the forgiveness I need nowdays.

Cite your source that Rory is back with the Spider X Hydro?

Honestly he putted much better with the Spider x hydro. Rory and the spider X Hydro just kind of go together now imo, yep! He's more comfortable with it. That's probably because he's been playing it for many seasons now. Hell, he only went back to the Newport for 2 tournaments so... maybe that's all he felt he needed but for a fair test he should have stuck with The newport for at least a season as I recall many tournaments Rory putted horribly with the spider x too...

Go watch TaylorMades latest video of him on YouTube getting ready for the Wells Fargo.  

• Like 3

TaylorMade Qi10 9* PX Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70X

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 3W PX Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80X

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue 19.5 MCA Tensei AV Raw White 90X 

TaylorMade '23 P7MC KBS Tour 130X

TaylorMade Milled Grind 52, 56, 60 DG X100

TaylorMade Spider GTX Black 

TaylorMade TP5X

No need to watch it, I'll be there this Thursday!👍You get the heart because your comment cites the source and answers the question by implying the new TM vid shows RM seen at Wells Fargo during practice with the spider X. Rory loves Quail Hollow!

Again, the Spider X and Rory just go together as much as I love a non insert, true one piece head Newport 2 303SS or GSS milled putter. With all his major wins coming with the Scotty Cameron I feel he didn't give the Newport a fair chance to make the bag again with only two tournaments played with it.

What does that tell me? That Rory, in his heart, knows he belongs with the hydro blast! It's just the right decision. With where his putting game is today, he needs the extra forgiveness & stability that high moi spider x provides. Or should I say "fargiveness" Is he saying Fargiveness?!

3 hours ago, rukahs said:

Spider X Hydro Blast image number 2

Pretty annoyed that the retail isn't milled like Rory's is..... could be a pass from me now 😞  

I mean you’re hitting the ball with the insert so I’m not sure how much of a difference it’d make. 

• Like 2

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x