2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NC, VA - Late March

Hi everyone,

I'm flying down South in the last week of March to check out some colleges in VA and NC. I'll definitely be going to Wake Forest, Duke, UVA, W&M and Davidson. I'd really like to play some golf while I'm down there. Does anyone have any suggestions for courses nearby some of the aforementioned schools?

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

I'm flying down South in the last week of March to check out some colleges in VA and NC. I'll definitely be going to Wake Forest, Duke, UVA, W&M and Davidson. I'd really like to play some golf while I'm down there. Does anyone have any suggestions for courses nearby some of the aforementioned schools?

Thanks

I don't know if you have any ins at private clubs in the area, but Birdwood is your best bet in Charlottesville. If you can get on Farmington there, then I would do that. With Davidson, you have all of the Charlotte courses. Birkdale isn't too far from the school and is an okay option. I guess with Wake Forest the best bet would be Tanglewood and I don't know if the course assoicated with Duke is private or not, but I'm not too sure about that part of the state. I'm not positive, but I think Williamsburg has some very good golf courses. I just don't know names, but is Golden Horseshoe there?

Good luck getting on Farmington unless you know someone. Birdwood is a nice course, very expensive, not a good course to walk, either. That's where UVA plays.

Easily the best course in the area is Spring Creek 15 minutes east of Charlottesville, just off 64 and well worth the short drive. Old Trail is a good alternative as well.

The Duke course is one of the best courses in that area and a bargain. The UNC course is good as well. Lots of not so good courses in that area along with the good ones, so do your homework.

Tanglewood can be hard to get on - call in advance. Bryan Park north of Greensboro has two good courses as well. Oak Hollow and Jamestown Park have very good, cheap muni golf.

Best bets in the Williamsburg area - bang for the buck and quality wise - are Kiskiak and Williamsburg National. Stonehouse, a little further toward Richmond is a heck of a layout, but wasn't in good shape last I played there.

Of course, all this input supposes that you aren't having all this paid for by a wealthy dad. If that's the case, go for the Golden Horseshoe and the River Course at Kingsmill.

Near Charlottesville, play Spring Creek. It's head and shoulders above everything else.

In Williamsburg, there are lots of good choices. The River Course at Kingsmill, Royal New Kent, and the Golden Horseshoe (Gold Course) are the real standouts.

Of course, you could stop on your way from UVA to W&M and play Kinloch or the Federal Club, if you really know people.

PM if you'd like more recommendations, especially in the Williamsburg area.

WW

Near Charlottesville, play Spring Creek. It's head and shoulders above everything else.

In Williamsburg, there are lots of good choices. The River Course at Kingsmill, Royal New Kent, and the Golden Horseshoe (Gold Course) are the real standouts.

Of course, you could stop on your way from UVA to W&M and play Kinloch or the Federal Club, if you really know people.

PM if you'd like more recommendations, especially in the Williamsburg area.

WW

Kinloch is the only course where I was scared to take divots on the driving range.

I live outside of Greensboro and would recommend the following NC courses: Tanglewood, Bryan Park, Oak Valley, Fox Den, Greensboro National, Oak Hollow, Tot Hill Farm and Tobacco Road. Both Tanglewood and Bryan Park have multiple courses and all are fairly challenging. If you are looking for a forgiving course I would recommend Jamestown Park, Blair Park and Old Homeplace.

If you have any other, or more specific questions shoot me a PM.

Lysle

If you can get on River Run in Davidson, it's really nice. Michael Jordan bought his brother a house on #15 just so he could keep a membership to the club.

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Black
Nike VRS 15°
Nike VRS 19°
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-PW
Nike VR Forged Black Oxide 50°
Nike VR Forged Black Oxide 54°
Nike VR X3X Dual Sole 58°
Nike Method 001 33"

If at Duke, play Duke. Findley at UNC is first rate. Wake does not have a golf course. When there play Tanglewood, maybe, but conditioning is an issue. In WinstonSalem area go play Meadowlands. Best course around, except for OldTown Club (next door to WFU). If you are at Davidson (a great place I might add and I didn't go there) cruise over to Kannapolis and play the Club at Irish Creek (I think it is open now). You have a ton of options. Hard to make a bad choice.

Thanks all,

I'm really looking forward to my trip...I can't wait to play some golf on some of the suggested courses. I knew that money I made caddying this summer would pay off sometime.

- jfr

Sideways gave you the best advice of all the posts. Spring Lake is awesome, and if REALLY MUST visit Duke :coolpics: There course is very very good as is the UNC Finley course (I'm biased though) As others have suggested Tobacco Road which is about 30 to 40 minutes from Chapel Hill is worth the time and effort to get there.

Again to echo some of the Williamsburg choices.....Royal New Kent, Golden Horseshoe, Kingsmill, and Brickshire are great. It may be out of your way but about an hour or so northwest of Williamsburg is Mattaponi Springs. Voted the best new upscale course of the year in 2005 I think. Also if you go about 45 minutes or so the other direction of WB, is Bay Creek in the town of Cape Charles VA. It's not the easiest course to get to from Williamsburg, across a cople bridges and through a tunnel, but it is a phenominal 36 hole facility.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Being at Duke myself, I'll also recommend the Duke course. It's in pretty good shape despite our general drought in NC and I'm out there at least once a week. I also recommend Tobacco Road - I was just out there last weekend. They finished aeration and seeding about two weeks ago and the greens are in great shape for this time of year. It's about a 1hr 15min. drive from Duke's campus. Expect a longer round at Tobacco Road though - I haven't got off the course in under 5 hours. Well worth it though.