2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Portable Golf Sim

TourSpoon

Hey guys, 

I have been researching the heck out of this topic and feel like I am starting to get some clarity around the direction that I want to go in. I am looking for your collective wisdom on what is possible so don't hold back! I want to jump into the launch monitor/sim world but space is an issue. We are planning to move and this build will most likely be poolside (under roof of the porch) with laptop and big screen, but for now it may be in my living room that has 20' ceilings (townhouse) and tile floors. For both reasons, this has to be somewhat portable if I start now, because I would have move the net between sessions. This is what I am proposing and want your feedback. 

Bushnell Launch Pro - It fits the space and radar is out of the question. I want all the data/accuracy I can get as this would be practice first and sim second. I would most likely try the gold package out for the first month and then go year-to-year with the subscription. I can't see unlimited ever paying off (everyone eventually upgrades right?). The basic just doesn't give path, so it seems limited, plus I might really enjoy the sim.  

Net Return Home Series V2 - Seems like a popular option, it goes up and down easily, can slide out of the way, can travel as well. This just seems like a versatile and reliable product and at 7x7 isn't too big

Mat - The return mat doesn't seem like its a really decent hitting mat so maybe would do a Country Club Elite and put it as close to the net as possible and maybe do some generic indoor green to fill in from HD or Lowe's to keep the balls bouncing off the tile.  

Laptop - I need to spec this out. 

Monitor - no issues here. I have a couple that would work. 

So here are my questions:

1. The Net Return Home - seems like a solid option. If I play close to the net, do I need side protection? I am a solid 5 for the last 20 years but things happen, but close to the net could it be missed? Disclaimer: even though I am a WRXer, I am not capable of surpassing the 225 mph ball speed max. 

2. Mat - Is the return mat an option? Am I better off with CCE? Is the 3x5 a good place to start? What about filling in between the mat and net? This would be moved and put into another room when not being used. 

3. Laptop - I have no idea on this.

4. Am I crazy to budget 6,000+ on this? I don't mind spending the money, because I will geek out on this especially with the approach shots, wedge game, etc. 

5. Anyone ever put the monitor behind the net? I have a big screen on the wall that is perfect for this. 

6. Am I missing the big picture? I don't think I will ever buy a place that would be able to have a fully built out projection sim room and I am perfectly happy with a monitor set-up with quality net. 

Thanks for any input. It has taken a while just to get to this point. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Rad Tour 16*, Even Flow White 6.0, Tour Edge 19* 3H, Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

So the first update is that Bushnell just went to 4k for the base device but has all data parameters unlocked on their base subscription model. The unlimited is now the same price as GC3. It makes me want to just go GC3 and call it a day and not bother with the Bushnell sister.  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Rad Tour 16*, Even Flow White 6.0, Tour Edge 19* 3H, Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0

I’ve got a net return pro which I think is a hair bigger than the home series, but I’ve never gotten that close to missing the net even on a shank.  I think you a pop up sky ball would be your only possible concern there.   I’ve been happy with the net and a tv screen off to the side and don’t feel the need to get the impact screen.

On the mat, I would make sure to get something good or you are definitely going to want to upgrade quickly.  I started with the country club elite, and then moved on to the fiberbuilt strip because the CCE was pretty harsh on the joints.  The CCE seemed too forgiving and didn’t give the interaction I wanted so I then moved on to the holy grail hitting strip from gunghogolf and I’ve been happy with that.  I would recommend getting a cheaper large mat that is the right thickness and then cutting a spot for the hitting strip into that.  

Don’t have much thoughts on the rest except the budget.  I think that 6000 is enough to get a solid setup that should last you for years.  If you go too much cheaper, you will likely end up upgrading most of the components.

1 hour ago, ddm1106 said:

I’ve got a net return pro which I think is a hair bigger than the home series, but I’ve never gotten that close to missing the net even on a shank.  I think you a pop up sky ball would be your only possible concern there.   I’ve been happy with the net and a tv screen off to the side and don’t feel the need to get the impact screen.

On the mat, I would make sure to get something good or you are definitely going to want to upgrade quickly.  I started with the country club elite, and then moved on to the fiberbuilt strip because the CCE was pretty harsh on the joints.  The CCE seemed too forgiving and didn’t give the interaction I wanted so I then moved on to the holy grail hitting strip from gunghogolf and I’ve been happy with that.  I would recommend getting a cheaper large mat that is the right thickness and then cutting a spot for the hitting strip into that.  

Don’t have much thoughts on the rest except the budget.  I think that 6000 is enough to get a solid setup that should last you for years.  If you go too much cheaper, you will likely end up upgrading most of the components.

Thanks for the feedback.  The bigger mat ideally could roll out and act as a ball dampener on the roll out and then pop in a hitting strip. 

And yes, the budget just went up with the new Bushnell pricing that came out yesterday! 

Thanks @JAM01 what is your feeling about the return mat as far as a primary hitting mat? Shank net? 

Edited by TourSpoon
clarification

9 minutes ago, JAM01 said:

Return mat was costly, I kept it but added a thicker mat. Side netting was essential as a just in case add on. 

Thanks, so if I did a generic green mat to deaden the bounce back, I could do a better hitting mat. I haven't really seen any feedback saying the return mat was a great hitting mat. 

I just saw a new special on Foresight and you buy the GC3 and for $500 more they throw in the Return Net and mat with free shipping. That's a deal! 

It's official, I just became a GC3 owner. I pulled the trigger and than had a to get a brown bag to breathe into. So it looks like I will be all in under 10k with the GC3 (GC3 Essentials + Hitting Bay for 7999 free ship), gaming laptop (1k - Best Buy), and have enough leftover to find a decent mat solution to go over the return mat once I get it set up (if needed). The Hitting Bay is exactly the set-up I have been researching so I am glad it popped up. The Net Return lists at 699 and the mat is 599 so the promo fits the bill for a 500 dollar add-on and Foresight waves their ridiculous 650 dollar shipping fee.  

I know that this is an investment into myself, no more renting the trackman bay at 50 per hour (that hour goes by so fast), and I can geek out with some healthy entertainment and get that 4.8 index down a bit. Updates to follow. 

• TourSpoon changed the title to Portable Golf Sim
3 hours ago, jmevox said:

I may or may not have sent a ball right through a window

Plausible deniability is an admirable strategy! 🤣

• Like 1

The laptop came in last night and I installed the FSX 2020, the FSX Play, and the FSX Pro. There was nothing too tricky other than going into the FSX Play files and "activating" the Download manager. On the FSX 2020 you have to manually download each course, but on the Play you can download from the course tab by just clicking a button. I spent 40 minutes this morning watching the FSX Pro videos and I can tell that may become my favorite app. The kit showed up today on a pallet and the GC3 comes in tomorrow night. It's getting real! 

I got the GC3 yesterday, charged it up, and let er rip! This thing is amazing! I loved the FSX Pro app and the data points around it. The FSX 2020 had some cool contest features with the 6 foot challenge and the online closest to the pin contests. I tried my hand at the sim golf, but really need to get a bit more comfortable in the environment to be swinging driver and woods. There are some nuances about sim golf that I need to figure out, but I will get there. I finished up on the Pro app hitting 58 degree wedges to targets at 50, 60, 70, and 80 yards. I really was impressed with how much there is to do, but I am sure I will settle into it. 

I really have to say that the whole process has been really easy to get this thing up and running. The GC3 unit itself was foolproof, the laptop set-up was a little more challenging because of the various file downloads (but I got it right the first time), and the settings are a matter of trying them out to figure out preference. From the first shot to the last, I didn't have a misread unless I had the ball outside the zone.  It is remarkable how deadly accurate the stats are being on the money. It really fits the bill for me in my limited space and it makes practicing really convenient. 

On 8/16/2022 at 8:49 AM, TourSpoon said:

I got the GC3 yesterday, charged it up, and let er rip! This thing is amazing! I loved the FSX Pro app and the data points around it. The FSX 2020 had some cool contest features with the 6 foot challenge and the online closest to the pin contests. I tried my hand at the sim golf, but really need to get a bit more comfortable in the environment to be swinging driver and woods. There are some nuances about sim golf that I need to figure out, but I will get there. I finished up on the Pro app hitting 58 degree wedges to targets at 50, 60, 70, and 80 yards. I really was impressed with how much there is to do, but I am sure I will settle into it. 

I really have to say that the whole process has been really easy to get this thing up and running. The GC3 unit itself was foolproof, the laptop set-up was a little more challenging because of the various file downloads (but I got it right the first time), and the settings are a matter of trying them out to figure out preference. From the first shot to the last, I didn't have a misread unless I had the ball outside the zone.  It is remarkable how deadly accurate the stats are being on the money. It really fits the bill for me in my limited space and it makes practicing really convenient. 

Do you have any pics of your new setup 

On 8/17/2022 at 10:50 PM, Pens #1 fan said:

Do you have any pics of your new setup 

So slide out the couch on the left and in just a few minutes it’s my golf studio. Webcam coming tomorrow for swing analysis! 

F54E57EF-4C97-4D80-B92B-D0BAC3B9A045.jpeg

221C8570-C8A2-42F0-9F30-B805B8F5F4E5.jpeg

9 hours ago, Pens #1 fan said:

Damn in the living room. Looks good though 

Thanks, we are moving so this is the “temp” portable studio. It’s less than 10 minutes to set up or break down. It is a blast to use  and the 64” tv is a perfect size for display.  

On 8/21/2022 at 8:44 AM, TourSpoon said:

Thanks, we are moving so this is the “temp” portable studio. It’s less than 10 minutes to set up or break down. It is a blast to use  and the 64” tv is a perfect size for display.  

How easy is it to take the net up and down? I'm trying to put together a similar setup, and I'm curious if it's a pain to take the net up and down. Seems like it's working well for you, but curious for more detail.

3 minutes ago, Dollafiddy said:

How easy is it to take the net up and down? I'm trying to put together a similar setup, and I'm curious if it's a pain to take the net up and down. Seems like it's working well for you, but curious for more detail.

I keep the 4 pieces that make up the base assembled behind the couch when not in use. I slide the couch out, put down the base and the rest of it takes about 3 minutes to assemble. I watched this video before I got the net and its that easy. 

I ended up getting a high quality web cam (Logitech Brio) from Amazon. It's so easy to set-up and use in FSX 2020. I really don't need a high speed camera, I just need a good reference. So far so good! Here is the video that sold me on going this route.