Dear PE idiots....

2 hours ago, Greanhouse said:

Software subscriptions don't work in conjunction with expensive hardware.

Every industry except automotive and golf sims seems to have learned this lesson already. 

LOL, no. Pretty much every industry is going in exactly the same direction.

Edited by whumber

2 hours ago, Greanhouse said:

The "free" month expired on 11/27....

Bought a yearly Gold license today 12/4...

Valid until 10/27 of next year.

Just your standard Private Equity Scammers.....  GTFO of passion industries and go back to consolidating regional HVAC companies and fast food franchises you Muppets.  K, thx, bye.

PS.  I want my two months I paid for!

Check how much they actually charged you, most likely they only charged for 10 months. They're operating on some kind of pro-rated fiscal year billing system.

14 hours ago, Pens #1 fan said:

Besides that how is the BLP working for you? 

It's ok.  They fired out a couple of FW updates to fix some issues last week.  Haven't had a chance to see if they worked.

Overall I'm ok with it.  Got the BLP because I couldn't decide between a GC Quad and a Trackman so wanted to try Foresight a bit first as I have a lot of experience with Trackman already.

Will be upgrading to a Trackman next year just because their customer support is so much better.  The extra distance behind the ball the Trackman requires kind of sucks but I would rather deal with that then what I've experienced with the BLP so far.

Driver - TSi3 8 deg, Project X HZRDUS SB PVD 60 6.5

3 Wd - TSI3 15 deg, Project X HZRDUS 70 6.5

3i-PW - Mizuno Pro 221, Oban CT-115 Stiff

Vokey SM9 50 deg, Oban CT-115 Stiff

Vokey SM9 54 deg, Oban CT-115 Stiff

Vokey SM9 58 deg, Oban CT-115 Stiff

Putter - Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Triple Wide

Simulator - Bushnell Launch Pro, Foresight Sim In A Box Birdie

On 12/5/2022 at 12:18 PM, Pens #1 fan said:

I assume you use it more for practicing than sim golf. I was looking at BLP this weekend, the space for Trackman is hard to do. I will use mine more for sim golf than practice. Hope to have the Sim room done by May. 

yeah, I'm trying to get my setup ready for remote instruction.  Its fun to play the courses but 90% of my sim time is on the range.

On 12/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, Krt22 said:

Fully unlock it and show those PE idiots who is boss

I nearly died.  lmao.

Unfortunately they assigned a ~$3500 price tag to end user software for a single seat so they have made certain I will never buy it.  Gold is $700 per year so we are looking at a 5y break even and a huge gamble on whether or not the hardware will last that long and/or the software will be updated frequently enough to maintain its value.

Just now, Greanhouse said:

I nearly died.  lmao.

Unfortunately they assigned a ~$3500 price tag to end user software for a single seat so they have made certain I will never buy it.  Gold is $700 per year so we are looking at a 5y break even and a huge gamble on whether or not the hardware will last that long and/or the software will be updated frequently enough to maintain its value.

I understand your quips with their model, but the fully unlocked BLP is still great bang for the buck if you are after all the data and full software package. There isn't anything on the market that is as accurate and reliable indoors and out at the 7k price point. This coming from someone who paid 17k for a quad lol.

20 hours ago, whumber said:

I can't imagine why anyone would move to TM for indoor use. You're paying more, plus adding both a hardware and software subscription so that you can get worse data as Trackman can't measure spin axis indoors and can only estimate it.

For me, its literally down to the local Trackman rep having all the units in our area reading extremely similarly to eachother and to what golfers in my area achieve on the course.  The customer service is really good regarding setup and consistency.

I don't really care if the ruler is exactly accurate, I just care that everyone is using the same ruler so results are comparable.

6 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I understand your quips with their model, but the fully unlocked BLP is still great bang for the buck if you are after all the data and full software package. There isn't anything on the market that is as accurate and reliable indoors and out at the 7k price point. This coming from someone who paid 17k for a quad lol.

I can't argue this.  The entire industry is overpriced for the most part.  I bought the BLP because I couldn't decide between a Quad and a TM.  If my BLP gave similar results to the GC2's (unfortunately I don't know anyone with a GC3/BLP/Quad locally) in my area I would feel more comfortable with Foresight overall.  Before buying the BLP, I went to 4 TM's and 3 GC2's and benchmarked my results and a few of my friends'.  We easily moved between those monitors and were never surprised with the results but my BLP is markedly different.

2 minutes ago, Greanhouse said:

I can't argue this.  The entire industry is overpriced for the most part.  I bought the BLP because I couldn't decide between a Quad and a TM.  If my BLP gave similar results to the GC2's (unfortunately I don't know anyone with a GC3/BLP/Quad locally) in my area I would feel more comfortable with Foresight overall.  Before buying the BLP, I went to 4 TM's and 3 GC2's and benchmarked my results and a few of my friends'.  We easily moved between those monitors and were never surprised with the results but my BLP is markedly different.

I have been keeping tabs on it and it really seems the "subscription" aspect of the BLP results in weird firmware issues, that ultimately can impact accuracy (seems like they mess with the weather and barometer settings). Hardware wise it's identical to the GC3, which has been benched marked by many as being toe and toe with the quad. I am guessing if you fully unlocked it, it won't cause you any issues. That or keep tabs on the most stable firmware and don't auto-update anything

As for the industry price model, it's a high end industry and launch monitors cater to the upper end of it even more so. Something is really only "overpriced" if no one is buying it, but clearly that isn't the case. Based on the foresight black friday says, its quite obvious the macro-economic conditions are impacting their sales volume. So there is obviously some softening of the price, but I don't think we are going to see the huge reduction most entry level consumers are looking for, at least not for their top tier products. 

1 minute ago, Krt22 said:

I have been keeping tabs on it and it really seems the "subscription" aspect of the BLP results in weird firmware issues, that ultimately can impact accuracy (seems like they mess with the weather and barometer settings). Hardware wise it's identical to the GC3, which has been benched marked by many as being toe and toe with the quad. I am guessing if you fully unlocked it, it won't cause you any issues. That or keep tabs on the most stable firmware and don't auto-update anything

As for the industry price model, it's a high end industry and launch monitors cater to the upper end of it even more so. Something is really only "overpriced" if no one is buying it, but clearly that isn't the case. Based on the foresight black friday says, its quite obvious the macro-economic conditions are impacting their sales volume. So there is obviously some softening of the price, but I don't think we are going to see the huge reduction most entry level consumers are looking for, at least not for their top tier products. 

I think you are bang on with your observations of the BLP firmware.  I think I am on 1.9 something currently.  1.7 was a bad cal on the baro sensor for certain.  I'm at ~600 ft altitude and it was reporting 350.  1.8 saw the baro reporting more accurately but I was getting different carry numbers on the BLP display than the FSX software displays.  1.9 has me seeing the same carry on the BLP and the FSX softwares, baro is only off by about 50 ft.  However, I believe there is a problem with my BLP above 260 yds carry.  To keep it simple, ballspeed at 160-165mph and can't carry 270yds+ on the BLP.  TM and GC2's gives me easy 275yd carries, usually more like 280yds, sometimes 290yds carry, usually rolling out to 300-310yds, which is what I see irl.  Spin is always below 2500 unless I miss one and ofc expect it to carry lower.  My BLP has my driver pretty much dead even with my 3w.  3w is a 250-270yd club on the BLP, same as my driver on the BLP.  I was at a TM just yesterday and loving the 280yd+ drives again and magically my 3w was 260yds on the TM as it is on my BLP and should be.  I'm going to dive into spin data across the TM's, GC2's and my BLP over the winter and see if I can find something.

As any industry matures with the exception of fashion and art, the margins get thinner and thinner as synergies and efficiencies are developed and overall costs come down.  Private Equity is in so obviously there is a lot left on the table and the vultures have arrived.  The sim industry has an identity crisis at the moment where they can't figure out if they are a hardware company, a software company or a video game company.  I suspect they were founded with more hardware engineers than software engineers.  The current fight is to see if one sim company can grow so big they can stifle everyone else and keep it as an end to end closed systems with their hw, sw and game sw.  For the consumers, the best option is for good hw companies, good sw companies and good gaming companies to work separately whereas the LM is the console of the gaming analogy.  When VR meets this current AR model in the next decade or so it will be interesting to see if a Foresight or TM like company can even survive.  Eventually we will just be plugging our LM's into a metaverse.

7 hours ago, Greanhouse said:

I think you are bang on with your observations of the BLP firmware.  I think I am on 1.9 something currently.  1.7 was a bad cal on the baro sensor for certain.  I'm at ~600 ft altitude and it was reporting 350.  1.8 saw the baro reporting more accurately but I was getting different carry numbers on the BLP display than the FSX software displays.  1.9 has me seeing the same carry on the BLP and the FSX softwares, baro is only off by about 50 ft.  However, I believe there is a problem with my BLP above 260 yds carry.  To keep it simple, ballspeed at 160-165mph and can't carry 270yds+ on the BLP.  TM and GC2's gives me easy 275yd carries, usually more like 280yds, sometimes 290yds carry, usually rolling out to 300-310yds, which is what I see irl.  Spin is always below 2500 unless I miss one and ofc expect it to carry lower.  My BLP has my driver pretty much dead even with my 3w.  3w is a 250-270yd club on the BLP, same as my driver on the BLP.  I was at a TM just yesterday and loving the 280yd+ drives again and magically my 3w was 260yds on the TM as it is on my BLP and should be.  I'm going to dive into spin data across the TM's, GC2's and my BLP over the winter and see if I can find something.

As any industry matures with the exception of fashion and art, the margins get thinner and thinner as synergies and efficiencies are developed and overall costs come down.  Private Equity is in so obviously there is a lot left on the table and the vultures have arrived.  The sim industry has an identity crisis at the moment where they can't figure out if they are a hardware company, a software company or a video game company.  I suspect they were founded with more hardware engineers than software engineers.  The current fight is to see if one sim company can grow so big they can stifle everyone else and keep it as an end to end closed systems with their hw, sw and game sw.  For the consumers, the best option is for good hw companies, good sw companies and good gaming companies to work separately whereas the LM is the console of the gaming analogy.  When VR meets this current AR model in the next decade or so it will be interesting to see if a Foresight or TM like company can even survive.  Eventually we will just be plugging our LM's into a metaverse.

Hopefully not the Metaverse. Difficult to start the downswing properly with no legs, y'know?

10 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

Hopefully not the Metaverse. Difficult to start the downswing properly with no legs, y'know?

Oh that's just a simple design change.  Don't worry. (Zuckerberg slides under his desks and authorizes $40bil to develop legs for sports humans)

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, Greanhouse said:

You getting consistent ball speed and spin numbers between TM and BLP?  Just an algorithm difference, or measured differences driving the distance gap?