2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Fitting Options Phoenix Area

Scottyb943

After a 10 year run together off the rack, it has come time to fit the only club in my bag I have never been fit for. 

I live in the Phoenix area and am looking for feedback on where I should go, who I should schedule with, etc. I have tried to research here some of the following spots and haven’t seen any complete results. 

Does anyone out there have any advice on where to head in the Phoenix area? 

Or what about information on the following shops do you have: 

2nd Swing Scottsdale Tour Van Fitting 

TrueSpec 

Club Champion 

Cool Clubs 

Other? 

Looking to have a large variety of brand options to try to make sure I am not missing any opportunities (Scotty, Betty, Toulon, Ping, etc), knowledgeable fitter, and good data to lean on for the decision (I am a numbers guy). 

Appreciate the help! 

Ping G425 LST 9º | Graphite Design Tour AD TSG Blue 65X

Callaway Great Big Bertha 15º | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS X

Srixon ZX 3I | KBS TGI 100 X
Srixon Z U85  4i & 5i | KBS VC Taper LIte 115X
Srixon Z 585 6i-PW | KBS VC Taper LIte 115X
Cleveland RTX 4 Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/mid | KBS 610
Odyssey RSX #7 Milled | Replacement Soon!

I had a putter fitting with Club Champion in Phoenix at the same time I was getting fit for irons. To be honest I didn't find it all that useful, they make you putt from a specific point so they can capture data, the problem is there appeared to be a groove worn in the putter surface to the hole. I made all 10 putts with my current putter to get a baseline, I'm a decent putter but not that good. At that point it seemed like the fitter lost interest.

I went through a putter analysis at the Legacy Golf Course Performance Center in Phoenix, not really a fitting since the goal was more to analyze your current putter and stroke and not to test out other putters. That was maybe 8-10 years ago when they were first starting out so it's possible they have expanded and offer more services. I thought the analysis was very well done and useful.

Limited to Ping only but Ping has a fitting setup at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale, I've only done iron fittings there but they also offer putting fittings, it's also free. There is another thread here about the Ping PLD fitting done at the Ping Phoenix facility, sounds very thorough and you'll get a nice custom putter, but it is pricy.

Edited by AzRoger
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AzRoger said:

I had a putter fitting with Club Champion in Phoenix at the same time I was getting fit for irons. To be honest I didn't find it all that useful, they make you putt from a specific point so they can capture data, the problem is there appeared to be a groove worn in the putter surface to the hole. I made all 10 putts with my current putter to get a baseline, I'm a decent putter but not that good. At that point it seemed like the fitter lost interest.

I went through a putter analysis at the Legacy Golf Course Performance Center in Phoenix, not really a fitting since the goal was more to analyze your current putter and stroke and not to test out other putters. That was maybe 8-10 years ago when they were first starting out so it's possible they have expanded and offer more services. I thought the analysis was very well done and useful.

Limited to Ping only but Ping has a fitting setup at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale, I've only done iron fittings there but they also offer putting fittings, it's also free. There is another thread here about the Ping PLD fitting done at the Ping Phoenix facility, sounds very thorough and you'll get a nice custom putter, but it is pricy.

I have heard similar feedback about TrueSpec and their fitting which prompted me to make the ask here....

Definitely considering the PLD program but am worried about anchoring to a single brand of options. Didn't know about Legacy so I will look into them. 

I've done one at club champion and at a big box (Roger Dunn) in CA in the past.  It's helpful to find head shape that fits your eye, as well as info on face path, stroke type, etc to find what type of toe hang works well for your swing, loft/lie, etc..

The one at club champion was fine, they just bent my current putter (at the time) to the right specs. Big box store was ok - they used the cameras and what not which was great to see how the ball was rolling off of the face of different inserts, etc.. But, to what the previous reply said, it's all just hitting straight putts.

I'm doing one at the Talking Stick 2nd Swing today.  The putter fitting room is straight putts, but they also have that new putting green with lots of different breaks that show you your aim line and the intended break line to the hole (which is awesome), that I also plan on testing the putters on.  They charge $200 but if you buy anything above $200 it's free.  I also don't know if they just make adjustments to your current putter, if that $200 can be spent on other clubs, balls, etc. to negate that fee.  I'll report back what I find after the fitting today.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, GolfChicago91 said:

I've done one at club champion and at a big box (Roger Dunn) in CA in the past.  It's helpful to find head shape that fits your eye, as well as info on face path, stroke type, etc to find what type of toe hang works well for your swing, loft/lie, etc..

The one at club champion was fine, they just bent my current putter (at the time) to the right specs. Big box store was ok - they used the cameras and what not which was great to see how the ball was rolling off of the face of different inserts, etc.. But, to what the previous reply said, it's all just hitting straight putts.

I'm doing one at the Talking Stick 2nd Swing today.  The putter fitting room is straight putts, but they also have that new putting green with lots of different breaks that show you your aim line and the intended break line to the hole (which is awesome), that I also plan on testing the putters on.  They charge $200 but if you buy anything above $200 it's free.  I also don't know if they just make adjustments to your current putter, if that $200 can be spent on other clubs, balls, etc. to negate that fee.  I'll report back what I find after the fitting today.

Very curious how the 2nd swing fitting goes! There isn’t much info out there on it, wondering if it is any different than CC of TrueSpec. 

Well the 2nd Swing putter didn’t go according to plan but I’ll write part 1 here. 

For starters, they use Quintic that has the little light bar and cameras to analyze how the ball is coming off of the face of the putter. Back when I went to CC they used SAM Lab I believe. 

Anyways the first concern I had with 2nd swing is the fitting is only 30 min. It’s always been an hour everywhere else whether or not you need it.  

When I arrived we went right into the studio to get started. Unfortunately the Quintic wasn’t picking up my putts. The fitter recalibrated and set everything up 3 or 4 times. All in all it took 15 minutes to get it up and running so we only had 15 minutes left. 

In that 15 minutes, we did identify a few things. The biggest thing was that with my current gamer - Scotty phantom x 11.5 mallet - I was actually hitting up on the ball and creating backspin. The fitter explained this was due to the weight placement in the rear of the putter that gives it a high MOI/more forgiveness. However my putts were rolling on line with little side spin. We first tried adjusting the loft of my putter to help with the backspin but it didn’t help much. 

Next he gave me a blade to try - a Scotty Newport. Now I don’t pay attention to the ball necessarily going into the hole. As others have said, the greens always seem to slope into the hole. What I paid attention to is forward roll, side spin, and face at impact. He adjusted the loft of the Newport and I started rolling it. Voila, perfect loft at impact, roll numbers and no side spin. I rolled a few more with similar results. 

Here is the problem: I wasn’t ready to just purchase the first putter he put in my hands that I tried, even if numbers were better. So, what he said was I can do was either buy the Newport and I get 30 days to try it, and come back in and refit/adjust if I don’t like it, or option two, which I’m doing, was go back tomorrow morning and try a bunch of similar putters to find the one I really want. 

so, I’m going back tomorrow am and will update. I don’t think I was going to get charged either way due to how everything went down, but interestingly they don’t take CC info when you book which was odd. Looking forward to the full follow up tomorrow and I’ll post an update. 

• Thanks 2

If I were in AZ I wouldn’t be going anywhere but ping. 

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

19 hours ago, GolfChicago91 said:

Well the 2nd Swing putter didn’t go according to plan but I’ll write part 1 here. 

For starters, they use Quintic that has the little light bar and cameras to analyze how the ball is coming off of the face of the putter. Back when I went to CC they used SAM Lab I believe. 

Anyways the first concern I had with 2nd swing is the fitting is only 30 min. It’s always been an hour everywhere else whether or not you need it.  

When I arrived we went right into the studio to get started. Unfortunately the Quintic wasn’t picking up my putts. The fitter recalibrated and set everything up 3 or 4 times. All in all it took 15 minutes to get it up and running so we only had 15 minutes left. 

In that 15 minutes, we did identify a few things. The biggest thing was that with my current gamer - Scotty phantom x 11.5 mallet - I was actually hitting up on the ball and creating backspin. The fitter explained this was due to the weight placement in the rear of the putter that gives it a high MOI/more forgiveness. However my putts were rolling on line with little side spin. We first tried adjusting the loft of my putter to help with the backspin but it didn’t help much. 

Next he gave me a blade to try - a Scotty Newport. Now I don’t pay attention to the ball necessarily going into the hole. As others have said, the greens always seem to slope into the hole. What I paid attention to is forward roll, side spin, and face at impact. He adjusted the loft of the Newport and I started rolling it. Voila, perfect loft at impact, roll numbers and no side spin. I rolled a few more with similar results. 

Here is the problem: I wasn’t ready to just purchase the first putter he put in my hands that I tried, even if numbers were better. So, what he said was I can do was either buy the Newport and I get 30 days to try it, and come back in and refit/adjust if I don’t like it, or option two, which I’m doing, was go back tomorrow morning and try a bunch of similar putters to find the one I really want. 

so, I’m going back tomorrow am and will update. I don’t think I was going to get charged either way due to how everything went down, but interestingly they don’t take CC info when you book which was odd. Looking forward to the full follow up tomorrow and I’ll post an update. 

Thanks for sharing. I Iive not far from 2nd Swing in Scottsdale and have always thought about doing a fitting. Look forward to hearing the end result. 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

19 hours ago, GolfChicago91 said:

Appreciate the feedback! 30 minutes for what they are pricing at a $200 fitting seems very short to me so we shared the same concern. With them being a a big store with almost every brand available, you would think they would align with the hour offered by others (club champion, TrueSpec, ect.). My fear seems to be your reality, you get to try 1 or 2 putters and then have to choose before hitting every option that may be lining up with your stroke/data. 

I am curious how the lofts were being adjusted for you? I have heard that Scotty's typically can't be altered in fittings unless you already paid for them like your gamer (could be bad info from word of mouth)

Very curious how this all ends up and how this morning went. 

Putter fittings should go fairly quick, don't think I would have an issue with 30 minutes. That's assuming the equipment is setup and ready to go unlike what GolfChicago91 had to deal with a 2nd Swing. You can pretty much cut out all of the shaft testing except for length so once that's determined you're basically testing heads. Your initial testing should tell you what style of putter best fits your stroke so that should again cut down on the number of options, usually putt 7-8 balls with each head to collect data, should easily be able to test multiple heads.

Update: so when I went back in yesterday, the fitter had a few clubs lined up for me to test. After rolling 5 or so on the Quintic, we took the top 3 out to the larger putting green (they have a setup that shows aim line and break line and it’s pretty sweet). We hit a few long lag putts, short breaking putts, etc.

I was down to 2 putters and settled on a bettinardi BB1 tour carbon putter. It is definitely cool that 2nd Swing has some tour/non standard offerings. The other good thing is you get 30 days to play it and can exchange it for another putter if it doesn’t work out (fitter gave me his cell number and said to text him in a few weeks if it’s not working and we can refit). The 30 min wasn’t as big of a hurdle as I thought. You can tell pretty quick if you like a putter or not. The hard part is picking between the last two or so. 

As far as loft adjustments, they had a loft/lie machine in the studio and would adjust any putter right there for me to try. For me they were all adjusted down to 1.5* of loft. Didn’t have to buy first. So that was cool/interesting. If you’re not doing a fitting and buying off of the rack from there, I’d have that checked first haha

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 8:17 AM, GolfChicago91 said:

Update: so when I went back in yesterday, the fitter had a few clubs lined up for me to test. After rolling 5 or so on the Quintic, we took the top 3 out to the larger putting green (they have a setup that shows aim line and break line and it’s pretty sweet). We hit a few long lag putts, short breaking putts, etc.

I was down to 2 putters and settled on a bettinardi BB1 tour carbon putter. It is definitely cool that 2nd Swing has some tour/non standard offerings. The other good thing is you get 30 days to play it and can exchange it for another putter if it doesn’t work out (fitter gave me his cell number and said to text him in a few weeks if it’s not working and we can refit). The 30 min wasn’t as big of a hurdle as I thought. You can tell pretty quick if you like a putter or not. The hard part is picking between the last two or so. 

As far as loft adjustments, they had a loft/lie machine in the studio and would adjust any putter right there for me to try. For me they were all adjusted down to 1.5* of loft. Didn’t have to buy first. So that was cool/interesting. If you’re not doing a fitting and buying off of the rack from there, I’d have that checked first haha

Glad it ended up working out for you! 2nd Swing does have some awesome putters just sitting around, makes that place a fun stop when I am out that way. 

I went ahead and did a TrueSpec fitting off a recommendation from a friend, figured I would share my experience to compare. 

I went to the location in Scottsdale. The putting area is in the very front of the store and the sun beats down on that window in the afternoon so word of advice, do a putter fitting in the morning here. 

Met with my fitter and first thing was analyzing my 2 most recent gamers. Measure out lofts, lies, etc to get some basics of where I was at. We briefly spoke about what I was struggling with, any preferences, and then we began putting. Noted by others I have read, you stand on the 10ft putting surface which they "align" before you start. They leverage Foresight for their fittings. Definitely seems that the balls go towards the hole but if you can get past that and focus on the data and feel, you will be fine. Started with 5-7 rolls with my current gamer, then started playing around. They will let you roll with anything they have in the shop but my knock on the overall experience was lack of selection. There weren't a wide variety of models within each brand they carry and I felt there were some missing (most notably Toulon putters). Additionally, when working with Scotty's that do not adjust loft and lies during the fitting. They are all stock and if you like one, they provide what your specs should be based on data. 

Overall, the experience was very informative. The data is interesting, I had no issues with the Foresight and the putting platform overall. The fitting team there is amazing but in the end, I didn't buy. I wasn't confident I had been able to experience every putter that could match up my stoke and felt like I was settling on what they had. 

With that said, I am taking Phabs comment to heart and have scheduled a fitting in the Ping PLD program. Yes, this is a single brand and my knock against TrueSpec is selection however, one of the putters I was liking was a PLD. After reading the thread on the program and the ability to fully customize through them, I am excited for the fitting but glad I went to TrueSpec to experience their fitting after considering them for a while.