Fujimoto Ft2 CB vs. Kyoei KK CB

kekoa

Hi guys.   Thanks to a few of you have helped me via pm, I think I have narrowed my iron choice to the above two.  I'm normally a blade player but want a players CB to lean on when my game is off.  Also, I need a backup set of irons.

I'm going strictly by which is always hard to do when making a big purchase.  Anyhow both have great looking profiles.   The first pic is of the Fuji ft 2 and the second is of the Kyoei.  By looks alone I'm leaning towards the Kyoei as it seems to have minimal offset and thinner topline.  From what I've read, both irons appear to be very soft feeling, which I want.

If anyone has personal experience with either of these irons please chime in.  I appreciate it.

ft1.jpg

kkcb.jpg

Edited by LionGolfer

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

• 1 month later...

I’m a die hard fujimoto fan, so the choice is clear. I would take the fujimoto mb-X everyday over the cavity back’s just based on personal preference, but I’ve heard good things about the ft-2 cb. I’ve been speaking with fujimoto corporate for some time now about a custom set of the old iura wing blade(discontinued) and they told me that the ft-2cb is the only iron in production currently. Ft-1 all discontinued and ft-2mb is still in beginning of design process, will not be seen for another few years. My whole point is the the ft2 cb should be in high demand and you won’t see many out there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 3:07 PM, Gmoney777 said:

I’m a die hard fujimoto fan, so the choice is clear. I would take the fujimoto mb-X everyday over the cavity back’s just based on personal preference, but I’ve heard good things about the ft-2 cb. I’ve been speaking with fujimoto corporate for some time now about a custom set of the old iura wing blade(discontinued) and they told me that the ft-2cb is the only iron in production currently. Ft-1 all discontinued and ft-2mb is still in beginning of design process, will not be seen for another few years. My whole point is the the ft2 cb should be in high demand and you won’t see many out there.

On 4/17/2023 at 3:07 PM, Gmoney777 said:

Hi must ask you. 

How is the fujimoto-mbx

Never tired any of the seven, kyoei or fuji how can you say the head compare to the above one in forgivnes and length

I know tietleist and play and t-100 how would you say the mbx is there is it way tougher to.play.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, per780716 said:

Hi must ask you. 

How is the fujimoto-mbx

Never tired any of the seven, kyoei or fuji how can you say the head compare to the above one in forgivnes and length

I know tietleist and play and t-100 how would you say the mbx is there is it way tougher to.play.

As stated above, by and large Fuji over many other brands. The MB-X is an excellent club with a touch more forgiveness than the standard MB’s. But if you are comparing the T-100’s you will most likely fit better into the FT-2 CB’s as both are considered “players irons”. The MB-X, although easier than the MB’s is still a fairly demanding club in turns of skill level. The FT-2 CB’s offer a good combo of workability and buttery smooth feeling.

I have the FT-2 CB’s and can shoot some pics if you’d like, just send me a message 🙂

Driver: Ping G425 SFT 10.5* w/ Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 5S

Fairway Wood: Ping G425 SFT 3 Wood & 5 Wood

Hybrids: Ping G425 4-Hybrid (Ventus Blue)

Irons: Proto Concept C01TB 5-PW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105S

Wedges: Proto Concept Forged CB 50*, Miura K-Grind 2.0 54* & 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER5 w/ Stability Tour 2 Shaft

On 5/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, per780716 said:

Hi must ask you. 

How is the fujimoto-mbx

Hey man, glad to see your response. In all honesty, I don’t like the fujimoto mb-x after having them for a few weeks. The fujimoto mb-1 ft is my favorite iron all time and I thought the mb-x would be similar but a little more pop off the face. They look amazing and definitely go further, but I think they lack the feel of a forged club which is what makes fujimoto great. I highly recommend the ft-1 mb, but the mb-x gets a7.5/10 in my honest opinion. 
min regards to t100 comparisons, I think the Fuji’s might be easier for you to hit, especially the mb-x. They have a longer blade length akin to a p7tw and launch the ball nice. I was never a fan of the t100 even when I played them for a month. 
I have a set of the mb-x that I’m selling for Pennie’s on the dollar if you’d like to try them. If you have the budget, buy a new sets of ft-1 mb before they’re all gone. Production of them has ceased. 

On 5/11/2023 at 3:54 PM, Gmoney777 said:

Hey man, glad to see your response. In all honesty, I don’t like the fujimoto mb-x after having them for a few weeks. The fujimoto mb-1 ft is my favorite iron all time and I thought the mb-x would be similar but a little more pop off the face. They look amazing and definitely go further, but I think they lack the feel of a forged club which is what makes fujimoto great. I highly recommend the ft-1 mb, but the mb-x gets a7.5/10 in my honest opinion. 
min regards to t100 comparisons, I think the Fuji’s might be easier for you to hit, especially the mb-x. They have a longer blade length akin to a p7tw and launch the ball nice. I was never a fan of the t100 even when I played them for a month. 
I have a set of the mb-x that I’m selling for Pennie’s on the dollar if you’d like to try them. If you have the budget, buy a new sets of ft-1 mb before they’re all gone. Production of them has ceased. 

Have you tried the quad 9 in fujimoto irons

8 minutes ago, per780716 said:

Have you tried the quad 9 in fujimoto irons

They stopped making those over a year ago. If you can find some second hand jump on them for sure. They only do black copper and regular copper finishes now. Might bring back the black but not sure

38 minutes ago, NerdyGolfer said:

They stopped making those over a year ago. If you can find some second hand jump on them for sure. They only do black copper and regular copper finishes now. Might bring back the black but not sure

Yes i can get them in black.

Is there any club from the known manufacturers like taylormade or tietleist in sole width becuase i don't like crazy thin sole. But slim is fineand how are they to hit 

17 minutes ago, per780716 said:

Yes i can get them in black.

Is there any club from the known manufacturers like taylormade or tietleist in sole width becuase i don't like crazy thin sole. But slim is fineand how are they to hit 

Others will disagree for sure as this area is subjective, but these are MB’s through and through. I’m not a scratch golfer, but if you don’t like a thin profile, I’d be apprehensive to pulling the trigger on these. I’d say maybe the Taylormade TW blades? Or the Titleist MB’s, but I think the Titleist MB’s are slightly more wide, marginally though.

if you are looking for something slightly easier to hit, I’d go MB-X or FT-2 CB’s. Both would be good options!

9 minutes ago, NerdyGolfer said:

Others will disagree for sure as this area is subjective, but these are MB’s through and through. I’m not a scratch golfer, but if you don’t like a thin profile, I’d be apprehensive to pulling the trigger on these. I’d say maybe the Taylormade TW blades? Or the Titleist MB’s, but I think the Titleist MB’s are slightly more wide, marginally though.

if you are looking for something slightly easier to hit, I’d go MB-X or FT-2 CB’s. Both would be good options!

Thank you for the great reply.

Would you take copper or normal satin.

Is there any other  reason to take copper over satin then just pure look.

1 hour ago, per780716 said:

Thank you for the great reply.

Would you take copper or normal satin.

Is there any other  reason to take copper over satin then just pure look.

You bet! I would take satin if you aren’t too caught up on looks. The copper adds no benefit, purely aesthetic and it’s pricey. Doesn’t change anything in terms of feel from my experience either.

11 minutes ago, NerdyGolfer said:

You bet! I would take satin if you aren’t too caught up on looks. The copper adds no benefit, purely aesthetic and it’s pricey. Doesn’t change anything in terms of feel from my experience either.

You seem like a good golfer. Who know lots about not so well known brands. 

I never saw any tour player with Fujimoto but with Miura

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, per780716 said:

You seem like a good golfer. Who know lots about not so well known brands. 

I never saw any tour player with Fujimoto but with Miura

The JDM section here is full of folks like me who love the “not so conventional” clubs 😉

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NerdyGolfer said:

The JDM section here is full of folks like me who love the “not so conventional” clubs 😉

They look beautiful the heads. A question tough why don't any tourplayer use any of the fujimoto lineup.

Maybe its just the money that they get from the more so called famous heads. 

But Fujimoto could be smart and sign a tourplayer to get more acknowledgement.

26 minutes ago, per780716 said:

They look beautiful the heads. A question tough why don't any tourplayer use any of the fujimoto lineup.

Maybe its just the money that they get from the more so called famous heads. 

But Fujimoto could be smart and sign a tourplayer to get more acknowledgement.

Well it’s really all about what the brand is looking for, right? Some brands do better being more “elusive” or hard to get. But also, some brands just don’t have the marketing dollars to push their product all over. Fujimoto is huge in Japan, just not the states and that might be fine with them. They struggle to push out clubs because their process takes so long and that might be another reason.

$$$ is almost always the reason tour players aren’t playing clubs that we find to be excellent. Theirs a bit of marketing on the players part too where they get recognition from the brand, money and other perks. Even independent folks won’t usually play a JDM head because there isn’t the tour rep support either. That’s an often overlooked piece. 

Proto concept is the one exception to this though. They have the $$$, have the production and finally have some tour recognition. They also have part time tour reps that travel to LPGA events. I assume they would get another person on board for PGA specific support if that opened up. Miura would fall into this category as well.

this is only US focused as Asian tours are another animal 

there are so many reasons, the list could go on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NerdyGolfer said:

Well it’s really all about what the brand is looking for, right? Some brands do better being more “elusive” or hard to get. But also, some brands just don’t have the marketing dollars to push their product all over. Fujimoto is huge in Japan, just not the states and that might be fine with them. They struggle to push out clubs because their process takes so long and that might be another reason.

$$$ is almost always the reason tour players aren’t playing clubs that we find to be excellent. Theirs a bit of marketing on the players part too where they get recognition from the brand, money and other perks. Even independent folks won’t usually play a JDM head because there isn’t the tour rep support either. That’s an often overlooked piece. 

Proto concept is the one exception to this though. They have the $$$, have the production and finally have some tour recognition. They also have part time tour reps that travel to LPGA events. I assume they would get another person on board for PGA specific support if that opened up. Miura would fall into this category as well.

this is only US focused as Asian tours are another animal 

there are so many reasons, the list could go on.

When you wrote about the Fujimoto Mbx they look like blades or maybe there is a modern technology which leads to a muscleback instead of a blade.

You have the Knowledge.

3 minutes ago, per780716 said:

When you wrote about the Fujimoto Mbx they look like blades or maybe there is a modern technology which leads to a muscleback instead of a blade.

You have the Knowledge.

I would consider the MB-X a more forgiving muscle back iron. Some people use the term “blades” for MB and I occasionally do as well. The golf world is starting to stray away from these insanely hard to hit Samurai swords and leaning into something that has some meat on it (like an MB). So that’s why I think blades and MB are becoming similar terms.

hope I understood your question

• Like 1