2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Looking to put graphite shafts in irons

19 hours ago, moorebaseball said:

Which shafts should I be looking at? Currently playing Nippon 120x and looking to possibly make a switch to graphite. 

Thanks in advance!

That's a little too open ended.    So the only answer I can give with that limited info  is to go try as many shafts as you can get your hands on.   And shaft weight is the first spec you need to pin down so probably best to start with the heavier options: 110 gm or heavier.  Also, x-flex in nippon is closer to s-flex in most other OEM's - so don't limit your search to just x-flex shafts.

Some more details might help:

1) why are you looking to make that switch?

2) Are you looking for a shaft that's similar to the steel one your playing or do you think you need to change something about it to get a better fit?  Lighter? softer?

6 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

That's a little too open ended.    So the only answer I can give with that limited info  is to go try as many shafts as you can get your hands on.   And shaft weight is the first spec you need to pin down so probably best to start with the heavier options: 110 gm or heavier.  Also, x-flex in nippon is closer to s-flex in most other OEM's - so don't limit your search to just x-flex shafts.

Some more details might help:

1) why are you looking to make that switch?

2) Are you looking for a shaft that's similar to the steel one your playing or do you think you need to change something about it to get a better fit?  Lighter? softer?

I have zero experience with Graphite in irons, so just looking for some shafts for a good starting point. I’m not a fan of the vibrations of steel shafts as I continue to get a little older, and just wanting to try something new.

I had a fitting a few months ago and the stuff shafts we tried were spinning too much and the ball flight was high. I was play 120tx , but there was much difference between the two shafts in flight window, so I have opted for the smoother feeling shaft. Im looking for something comparable that we’ll be a little easier on my joints as I beat balls. If I can get away with lighter but still maintain control, im all in.

25 minutes ago, moorebaseball said:

I have zero experience with Graphite in irons, so just looking for some shafts for a good starting point. I’m not a fan of the vibrations of steel shafts as I continue to get a little older, and just wanting to try something new.

I had a fitting a few months ago and the stuff shafts we tried were spinning too much and the ball flight was high. I was play 120tx , but there was much difference between the two shafts in flight window, so I have opted for the smoother feeling shaft. Im looking for something comparable that we’ll be a little easier on my joints as I beat balls. If I can get away with lighter but still maintain control, im all in.

When looking for a good fit for a shaft,  the material doesn't really change anything.  It's all about finding the right combination of stiffness and weight.

How much lighter you can go without effecting control is something only testing will show.   During that fitting did you try any lighter shafts - 105 or 110 or 115 gm options?    You'd want to pay more attention to the ball flight control and consistency (dispersion) than you would to launch and spin to determine if the weight is getting too light.   In fact, generally it's best to forget about launch and spin when choosing a shaft (for the most part) - since you can always use the head and loft to manage launch and spin with any shaft choice.

For higher speed players wanting lower launching options - the Aerotech steelfibers are a good place to start - the 110 gm and 125 gm would likely both be worth testing.   It couldn't even hurt to try the 95 gm version to see what happens.   You'll probably still want to try both stiff and x-stiff.  Many people seem to think they play stiff to flex when compared to many of the Nippon shafts.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

When looking for a good fit for a shaft,  the material doesn't really change anything.  It's all about finding the right combination of stiffness and weight.

How much lighter you can go without effecting control is something only testing will show.   During that fitting did you try any lighter shafts - 105 or 110 or 115 gm options?    You'd want to pay more attention to the ball flight control and consistency (dispersion) than you would to launch and spin to determine if the weight is getting too light.   In fact, generally it's best to forget about launch and spin when choosing a shaft (for the most part) - since you can always use the head and loft to manage launch and spin with any shaft choice.

For higher speed players wanting lower launching options - the Aerotech steelfibers are a good place to start - the 110 gm and 125 gm would likely both be worth testing.   It couldn't even hurt to try the 95 gm version to see what happens.   You'll probably still want to try both stiff and x-stiff.  Many people seem to think they play stiff to flex when compared to many of the Nippon shafts.

I tried a couple lighter shafts but fitter loved the 120x or TX for me and I enjoyed the x more because of smoothness. I’m playing the Zx7s 4-PW.

The Aerotechs are on my list to try and mmt. Not sure what else I should be looking at. I’m all for using as light of weight shaft as I can get away with that will hold up to my swing. Thanks for the help!

11 hours ago, moorebaseball said:

I tried a couple lighter shafts but fitter loved the 120x or TX for me and I enjoyed the x more because of smoothness. I’m playing the Zx7s 4-PW.

The Aerotechs are on my list to try and mmt. Not sure what else I should be looking at. I’m all for using as light of weight shaft as I can get away with that will hold up to my swing. Thanks for the help!

UST Recoils are also a solid option in the heavier weights. 

Not nearly as many options in graphite to choose from above 100 gm as there are below.  There are a few others but those three should be a good enough of a starting point.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Don't rule out Accra graphite for irons , they make a nice shaft from 100gm & up. I had a fitter shaft my 5 & 6 iron with different models in each , swung them & played a few rounds until I found the one I liked best , we tried quite a few different shaft options from different manufacturers doing this , finally settled on the Accra 105cw

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the MMT and love them.  They are mid launch but mid/low spin.  Really smooth feel as well.  I've played X100, C-taper, KBS Tour, PX 6.5 when it comes to steel and have tested pretty much everything from DG, Nippon, KBS and PX.  The Modus 120TX and X were both mid-high launch with mid spin for me and smooth.  MMT or LAGP A-Series would be pretty close IMO.  The Fujikura Axiom is being released soon so I would recommend testing those if you can. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

My suggestion would be the steel fiber shafts. 

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9* with Oban Isawa 55
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3hl and 5-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai smoke TD 7-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai Smoke 5h with Project X Cypher
Callaway Apex Pro  6-AW irons with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 52 with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 56 with Nippon Modus 105
Toulon LeMans or Ai Mini Jailbird