2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Best color/pattern ball for color blind?

GriperRiper

So I know I may be in the minority in this but as someone with partial colorblindness I have yet to find the "perfect" color/pattern combo that works year round for me. I was wondering if anyone else is in this situation and what you may have found?......I would love to play pro V1 but feel that I need a "patterned" ball to help me be able to spot it (Pix/truvis), also I find yellow balls are a lot easier for me to spot then even white balls......has anyone found certain colors to be easier to spot (i know it will depend on color blindness spectrum)?.....I am just tired of legit "losing" balls in the fairway (when there is leaves) or in the 1st cut.....thanks

• Like 1

Well, I can't help you with the colorblindness  question (though both of my sons are colorblind), but I can tell you that when there are leaves on the ground, which are also usually accompanied by low sun, I've found that it's very easy to lose balls no matter what color they are.  I once lost 8 in a round playing orange (which is a bad option for colorblindness regardless), so I switched to white for the fall and found them somewhat better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GriperRiper said:

So I know I may be in the minority in this but as someone with partial colorblindness I have yet to find the "perfect" color/pattern combo that works year round for me. I was wondering if anyone else is in this situation and what you may have found?......I would love to play pro V1 but feel that I need a "patterned" ball to help me be able to spot it (Pix/truvis), also I find yellow balls are a lot easier for me to spot then even white balls......has anyone found certain colors to be easier to spot (i know it will depend on color blindness spectrum)?.....I am just tired of legit "losing" balls in the fairway (when there is leaves) or in the 1st cut.....thanks

I am red-green colorblind.  Yellow is the only color that has worked for me.  You could always mark your ball with a sharpie color that you can easily see.

Also - if you are red-green colorblind like myself, I highly suggest investing in a pair of colorblind glasses for putting purposes. My wife bought me a set two years ago for fathers day. The first time I wore them during a round, my green reading was so much better - I could see the subtle breaks. I always thought I was a bad putter, but it turns out I couldn't read a green very well. Food for thought..

• Like 1

I am significantly red/green colorblind. One quick anecdote: I was playing on a course that was heavily-wooded along the perimeter of the fairways. They had red flags on the pins. It was a hot, still day. I couldn't see the red flag against the green background of the leaves and vegetation. Fortunately, a slight breeze developed in which the movement of the flag let me see the position of the hole. I later mentioned that to the course manager. The next year they switched to a blue and yellow checkerboard flag pattern. I have no idea if it was based on my comments or if they just wanted to make a change.

I have had some success playing with yellow balls. It is said to be the most visible color. I see orange balls well, even better than yellow. However, in the approaching darkness of an early evening round, orange is a color that quickly fades from view in low light conditions. This is supposedly why many hunting clothing and road workers' vests are now yellow rather than orange. I never used a lime green ball, but a number of golfers have said that they are highly visible. Regarding patterned golf balls, they are not my preference, but I did try a few of Callaway Truvis balls in past and did best with the black/yellow soccer ball  pattern.

VladDrag, where can I find those glasses for colorblind individuals? Thanks.

• Like 2

stevegp

9 hours ago, VladDrag said:

I am red-green colorblind.  Yellow is the only color that has worked for me.  You could always mark your ball with a sharpie color that you can easily see.

Also - if you are red-green colorblind like myself, I highly suggest investing in a pair of colorblind glasses for putting purposes. My wife bought me a set two years ago for fathers day. The first time I wore them during a round, my green reading was so much better - I could see the subtle breaks. I always thought I was a bad putter, but it turns out I couldn't read a green very well. Food for thought..

thanks....i am the same.....and you may be on to something here.....i dont see the "burn marks" in greens or the different "shades" to help read a green....what type do you have, I actually think I will get some as I have seen them for many years but didnt want to get my hopes up on something that I didnt think would work....and agree about the yellow, just wish I could get a yellow pix

8 hours ago, stevegp said:

I am significantly red/green colorblind. One quick anecdote: I was playing on a course that was heavily-wooded along the perimeter of the fairways. They had red flags on the pins. It was a hot, still day. I couldn't see the red flag against the green background of the leaves and vegetation. Fortunately, a slight breeze developed in which the movement of the flag let me see the position of the hole. I later mentioned that to the course manager. The next year they switched to a blue and yellow checkerboard flag pattern. I have no idea if it was based on my comments or if they just wanted to make a change.

I have had some success playing with yellow balls. It is said to be the most visible color. I see orange balls well, even better than yellow. However, in the approaching darkness of an early evening round, orange is a color that quickly fades from view in low light conditions. This is supposedly why many hunting clothing and road workers' vests are now yellow rather than orange. I never used a lime green ball, but a number of golfers have said that they are highly visible. Regarding patterned golf balls, they are not my preference, but I did try a few of Callaway Truvis balls in past and did best with the black/yellow soccer ball  pattern.

thank you, and I have the same struggle as you and im going to look into the glasses as well

9 hours ago, stevegp said:

Mine came from Enchroma - https://enchroma.com/

they are not the cheapest, but they are really cool. Do the test, see which glasses work the best for you. 

also, it take a bit for your eyes to get used to it. The reds, pinks, oranges were different immediately, but the greens too some time for my eyes to adjust to.

@GriperRiper

Edited by VladDrag
  • Like 1