Need driver help

On 5/15/2023 at 11:25 AM, chollier986 said:

Pull hook AND push fade misses are complete opposites of each other.  Hard to imagine you can miss it like that with the intent being the same.  Are you seeing both misses while tryin to draw the ball?  Both while trying to fade the ball?

It’s the same issue.  Path too far right with face open to path.  Continue and it’s a push fade.  Body not wanting a push fade, reacts, stalls and flips face shut….snap hook.

The comment made of trying to hit up too much is very likely part of the issue.

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

It’s the same issue.  Path too far right with face open to path.  Continue and it’s a push fade.  Body not wanting a push fade, reacts, stalls and flips face shut….snap hook.

Beat me to it. Stop panicking and trying a million swing thoughts and equipment and post a video and/or go see a good instructor, it's something they will have seen a thousand times before.

17 hours ago, Nard_S said:

A doable is to take one side out of play. Keep the predominant flight, don't fight that, fight the minor one.  

I tried like all heck to go fade biased but reality is I'm draw biased. It was a waste of time. I now just hit draws, pushy draws with big stick. Have two heights, keep it simple.

Expecting 90% on a 20 yard window is too demanding, and I think there's data out there to suggest it is.

In general, hands react to position they are in, if you're stuck or OTT, you will calibrate release intuitively. It keeps coming down to finding ways to simplify hand action.

I was going for +\- 20y hahahah, so 40 window.   I think that is reasonable enough for 8/10.

So last night your last sentence hit.  After week the usual happened.  Some things work some don’t do what works in extreme find some “feels” then meld it back to what “feels” like your normal swing.   

I think that from deep diving ball flight patterns that my face is relatively square and my path is just outside , not a ton but enough for 270+ downfield to be 30y right even if the the first 150 is down the line. 

I have never been a technical player, my shoulders staying more level and my stance closing up some is already feeling normal after about 300 drives.  Last night I went more back to my old swing with these two things changed slightly and put my focus on path.  Now the gummy I took was kicking in at the time, but I had a stretch of hitting like 93 SS drives where I was focused and “seeing” the impact zone.  I never think about my path unless I am trying to work a ball, ever, but I was so focused I saw it for a stretch.  It isn’t like a chop outside in, I am just sliding it through the zone so that path and square may be 15y right and 1* open may be 30 or whatever.  My mind for sure had my path not where it was. 

I came to two conclusions.

1.  My left wrist moves some.  So if you hold your arm straight you can move your hand up or down.  So it is. I longer straight to your arm.  I’m doing some of that during impact (my wrist being sore from pounding drives confirms).  With my only thought not path but keeping my hand in line with my left arm I immediately took about 10-15y of tailing off of “slices” that went like 15 off line and had 50% accurate fades.  

2.  About path.  It is easier to work on the follow through than the coming down.  If I can have the club past the ball going down the target line and not as much “hitting the ball” then ripping around my body, it is increasing the amount of time the path is relatively neutral, which for me is still outside but we are talking actual fades that have power.  

I know me, I won’t ever get to scratch, I won’t ever not be handsy or a feel player and honestly I used to drive the piss out of it, the yips just got so bad for so long and mentally so devastating that I have no trust, no faith, no idea where it is going and why.

I am locking into the why and maybe that is all I need to manage my tee game in round. Maybe actively being aware of my path is a thought I can work with then it comes down to hands which may not even be that bad just bad sometimes.

14 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

This is nail on the head.  If I can get path consistent and reigned in I think the face is manageable, but when my path is mostly outside with 30% coming inside is where I have been left unable to fix, the breakthrough this time is path is changing so until that gets semi consistent I can’t go to next steps.  What I am thinking today anyway.

12 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Beat me to it. Stop panicking and trying a million swing thoughts and equipment and post a video and/or go see a good instructor, it's something they will have seen a thousand times before.

Well I tired this and I even sent a video to Monty many years ago when it first came up and so far either in person or videos I haven’t gotten that tip or thought to get it reigned in.  I can tell you when I went for a lesson this February I was hitting all my clubs good.  Either way he understood and stand closer and keep my hands closer together Was the main meat there.  

I will get a video this weekend.

2 hours ago, Bigmean said:

Maybe actively being aware of my path is a thought I can work with then it comes down to hands which may not even be that bad just bad sometimes.

It's what I do, my hands are good at fixing my schlock, lol so focus is the path, and good path is when hands have to do less. Rhythm means a bunch on this too. I'm getting positives just by honing that. 

Quick update.

played yesterday, missed one fairway by 3 yards(no joke, was not even close to missing another).  First hole was a baby draw up the gut, I shot 38 without my putter(left at home, used buddies) and that had a bogey on par 5 and 3 putt no birdies but I never got used to his putter.   Back it fell apart off tee and irons, duck hook on 10, still I could have par/bogeyed but I turned that to 6, tossed up another double then bogey to start the back.   Finished out in 41 I think but 3 left and 2 right stand out.  No penalties off the tee all round.  

I really needed this.  The last 7 days hitting balls in garage I felt like I was picking up good tidbits but Friday night I was again just confused as to if the changes were mattering or if my hands were going to make any setup and swing what they want.  

Edited by Bigmean
  • Like 1