2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Aimpoint Express-6 feet and in

I just took the class and highly recommend. We went over 6 feet and in at first. I think he called it the “memory zone”. Basically you don’t use your fingers but use the cup for reference. Anyways I must of had a brain fog and can’t remember. Anyone familiar?

A slope 1 is inside the pin, a slope 2, then slope 3 the edge?

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

32 minutes ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

I just took the class and highly recommend. We went over 6 feet and in at first. I think he called it the “memory zone”. Basically you don’t use your fingers but use the cup for reference. Anyways I must of had a brain fog and can’t remember. Anyone familiar?

A slope 1 is inside the pin, a slope 2, then slope 3 the edge?

Why not email/text the guy back? You should get an email from AimPoint, too, when he registers you as a student.

I don't know that you should just expect others to put that info out there publicly. It's hardly state secrets, but it's a little bit of what you paid to learn.

Edit: Never mind, @Sean124 just giving it away. 🙂 @VanTheMan0519, it's probably almost directly from the AimPoint email you should get shortly if you haven't already. Send a message to your AimPoint instructor, please.

Edited by iacas

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

Just now, Sean124 said:

A97AFA56-BC58-46A5-810A-98ECD09CF1D0.jpeg.f10b74aa07e6e0a90295105444d51b5e.jpeg

Thank you!  Is there a copy of that anywhere or to purchase anywhere?

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why not email/text the guy back? You should get an email from AimPoint, too, when he registers you as a student.

I don't know that you should just expect others to put that info out there publicly. It's hardly state secrets, but it's a little bit of what you paid to learn.

Never received a registration 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

Email your instructor and he should get it sent to you. It’s a really basic email from Aimpoint. 

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
P-UDI 3 iron DI Hybrid 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Pro Platinum Newport 2

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Edit: Never mind, @Sean124 just giving it away. 🙂 @VanTheMan0519, it's probably almost directly from the AimPoint email you should get shortly if you haven't already. Send a message to your AimPoint instructor, please.

Am I about to get sued for copyright infringement? 😆

• Haha 1

Pro Platinum Newport 2

1 minute ago, Sean124 said:

Am I about to get sued for copyright infringement? 😆

I don't know. 😀 I'm not going to send it to Mark or anything, but… ha ha ha.

• Haha 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

15 hours ago, Sean124 said:

A97AFA56-BC58-46A5-810A-98ECD09CF1D0.jpeg.f10b74aa07e6e0a90295105444d51b5e.jpeg

How could a 2 or 3% putt have the same read relative to the cup from both 3 and 6 feet? I get there’s a margin of error since the cup is relatively large from short distances, but I want a method that hits center cup from all distances, since my dispersion pattern will be centered there. 

I’ve been using a self-taught version of AE for six years, so I’ll tell you what works for me (ymmv). My only adjustment when getting down to 6 feet and shorter is to gradually creep the edge of my finger(s) to the low side of the cup instead of the center of the cup, and extend my elbow more if I’m going to use more speed to “take the break out.”

From 4 feet with a 90° elbow, my finger is about the width of a cup (4.25 in), and with elbow fully extended is about 2.75 inches, so that method roughly fits with the guide above from that distance, but remains accurate closer and further. 

I think the reason AE “breaks down” for shorter putts is due to our height above ground level. Think of the angle of the line between our eyes, our fingers, and the cup, and how that line progressively steepens as we approach the cup to 90° right at the cup.  That means our “finger read” doesn’t change with a distance change from the cup as much as when that line is shallower from longer distances, where it is closer to the true distance from the cup. If we laid on the ground when taking a finger read, there should be no adjustment necessary, but that would be ridiculous and leave me with no playing partners 😂

• Like 1

B347F7E4-5D4F-4177-B344-7C57FFE9C98F.jpeg.808567ad45cfb3437b2e345897151856.jpeg

😜

The most important thing I’ve taken from Aimpoint Express and the biggest benefit to my putting is knowing that a 5-6 foot putt with a 2% slope needs to be played outside the hole. 

Within a normal range for my area, the green speed doesn’t seem to really matter. 

• Like 1

Pro Platinum Newport 2

3 minutes ago, GungHoGolf said:

How could a 2 or 3% putt have the same read relative to the cup from both 3 and 6 feet? I get there’s a margin of error since the cup is relatively large from short distances, but I want a method that hits center cup from all distances, since my dispersion pattern will be centered there. 

I’ve been using a self-taught version of AE for six years, so I’ll tell you what works for me (ymmv). My only adjustment when getting down to 6 feet and shorter is to gradually creep the edge of my finger(s) to the low side of the cup instead of the center of the cup, and extend my elbow more if I’m going to use more speed to “take the break out.”

From 4 feet with a 90° elbow, my finger is about the width of a cup (4.25 in), and with elbow fully extended is about 2.75 inches, so that method roughly fits with the guide above from that distance, but remains accurate closer and further. 

I think the reason AE “breaks down” for shorter putts is due to our height above ground level. Think of the angle of the line between our eyes, our fingers, and the cup, and how that line progressively steepens as we approach the cup to 90° right at the cup.  That means our “finger read” doesn’t change with a distance change from the cup as much as when that line is shallower from longer distances, where it is closer to the true distance from the cup. If we laid on the ground when taking a finger read, there should be no adjustment necessary, but that would be ridiculous and leave me with no playing partners 😂

The suggestions seem to work best for me from 4-6 feet, and I never use my fingers at that range. Inside 4 feet I play less break and tend to just bang them in anyway. 

I actually find myself holding up fingers less and less on longer putts lately. Just reading the slope with my feet allows me to visualize the break better. 

• Like 2

Pro Platinum Newport 2

The teacher sent me a tip sheet. Seems to be an updated to the 6 feet and in. More playing or outside the hole versus inside. 

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I invested in the Tour Read App to supplement my AimPoint practice and have found it tremendously useful in a lot of ways.

It's nice to show up to a green before a round, guess/dial in a stimp and then use the app to get an EXACT aimpoint in inches to dial in the amount of arm bend I'm going to need for that day.

Additionally (like a complete lunatic), it comes with charts for % slope vs aimpoint in inches from the edge of the cup for every half stimp, and so I've just begun to memorize all of these for the stimps I typically play. This completely solves the 6' and in problem (the tour read app gives aimpoint in inches from 2-10' every foot), and also makes my reads even quicker, as once I determine the stimp of the greens using a few putts, I no longer have to use my fingers if I don't want to. I know the cup is 4.25" and a ball is roughly 1.6" to use as gauges. 

• Like 1

Can I change a small part of the subject here? I need help. Been using AE for about 6 months and I am having trouble feel 1 vs 2 vs 3% slopes with my feet. I use a level app on my phone and practice guessing with my feet and seeing actual on the level. I am usually underestimating. 

Any techniques to help feel

the slope in your feet? Listened to a podcast yesterday with the AE Inventor and he mentioned feeling it in your hips. Any inputs from users on here how to “feel” the slope better? 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I have found the Bailie "knee-pop" read to be the easier method, mostly because I feel like it's loosely quantifiable and definite relative to just standing over a slope and getting the feel of it. I am not perfect, but that's the best way I've found and have had better results reading greens this way and using either the AimPoint finger method or the Tour Read charts than I have simply looking at a putt and guessing. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Can I change a small part of the subject here? I need help. Been using AE for about 6 months and I am having trouble feel 1 vs 2 vs 3% slopes with my feet. I use a level app on my phone and practice guessing with my feet and seeing actual on the level. I am usually underestimating. 

the slope in your feet? Listened to a podcast yesterday with the AE Inventor and he mentioned feeling it in your hips. Any inputs from users on here how to “feel” the slope better? 

Relax and let the weight sink into your legs.

• Thanks 1

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

21 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

Relax and let the weight sink into your legs.

I’ll try that. Relaxing. Thinking too much about it. That’s my biggest hang up with AE is not finding the correct percent slope. Love the technique and has made me a much better green reader, but want to get better at it. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

9 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

I take my slope reading standing sideways to the line with my feet close together, preferably with my toes on the downhill  side. 

I struggle with the straddle technique, I just couldn't feel it.  But with standing sideway to the line I feel it in my feet. 4-5%is in my toes almost falling forward. 3% is balls of my feet. Etc... 

Its so much easier to feel the difference. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Asics10 said:

I take my slope reading standing sideways to the line with my feet close together, preferably with my toes on the downhill  side. 

I struggle with the straddle technique, I just couldn't feel it.  But with standing sideway to the line I feel it in my feet. 4-5%is in my toes almost falling forward. 3% is balls of my feet. Etc... 

Its so much easier to feel the difference. 

I thought about trying this. I am going to try it in the morning and see. Appreciate it. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Update, spent time this morning working on relaxing and trying to feel the slopes in my glower and hips. Seem to work better and got better confirmation with the level.

The info posted here about 3-6 footers and where to aim was an eye opener. I really just used those targets for the 1, 2, and 3 percenters. Wow, not good at RTL sliders and was making way more today. Thanks for posting that. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick