Chris Hudson on Hogan

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 5:19 PM, virtuoso said:

He has the interpretation of Hogan's pivot exactly backwards--literally the opposite of what Hogan did. Doesn't mean his advice can't help someone, but that is not what Hogan did.

I just started watching some of Hudson's videos after seeing this thread and I was curious about his background since I've never heard of him before.  He is obviously a passionate Hogan fan and I don't know enough of what Hogan was actually doing to judge his content for accuracy.  I have to admit his production is quite polished and he has an unusual delivery to say the least.

Anyway, as a Hogan fan since my teenage years I always like to see Hogan's swing dissected.  Especially since so many people propose all kinds of "secrets" that they have claim to have found.  As you have always shown a pretty deep understanding of all things "Hogan" is there a particular video of Hudson's that you watched that contradicts what you know Hogan actually did.  I'm curious about a lot of the things that Hogan did that made his swing so iconic and apparently so hard to duplicate.

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have time and don't mind spending it sharing your knowledge.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:49 PM, otto6457 said:

I just started watching some of Hudson's videos after seeing this thread and I was curious about his background since I've never heard of him before.  He is obviously a passionate Hogan fan and I don't know enough of what Hogan was actually doing to judge his content for accuracy.  I have to admit his production is quite polished and he has an unusual delivery to say the least.

Anyway, as a Hogan fan since my teenage years I always like to see Hogan's swing dissected.  Especially since so many people propose all kinds of "secrets" that they have claim to have found.  As you have always shown a pretty deep understanding of all things "Hogan" is there a particular video of Hudson's that you watched that contradicts what you know Hogan actually did.  I'm curious about a lot of the things that Hogan did that made his swing so iconic and apparently so hard to duplicate.

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have time and don't mind spending it sharing your knowledge.

Otto, check pm for video

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

On 7/10/2023 at 3:04 AM, virtuoso said:

Otto, check pm for video

Can I have a look at that as well mate?

As for this Hudson guy, another trying to exploit the Hogan name without any actual links to Hogan and his knowledge of the swing. 

Ben Hogan successfully sued someone for using his name and likeness in a book. To use his likeness and manipulate it with artificial intelligence like a puppet is shameful. He had better start running before @SwagGolf6112 gets onto this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powerfade66 said:

Can I have a look at that as well mate?

As for this Hudson guy, another trying to exploit the Hogan name without any actual links to Hogan and his knowledge of the swing. 

Ben Hogan successfully sued someone for using his name and likeness in a book. To use his likeness and manipulate it with artificial intelligence like a puppet is shameful. He had better start running before @SwagGolf6112 gets onto this. 

Sure, I’ll pm you the vid. Its posted on my channel.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Tpfol said:

I've checked out a few of his videos and while there seems to be some creative license, I think he does a decent job.  I do find it a bit curious though that I havent seen him actually hit a ball at any time

Yeah, he's not going to do that anytime soon. His narrative would come crashing apart. If you are just going to swing a plastic club in slow motion, you can make all kinds of things seem plausible.

...but even with his plastic club, its amazing how wrong he gets it. Some of that stuff might help somebody, but it has nothing to do with Hogan. 

Edited by virtuoso
  • Like 2

Hogan does not re-center
Make an OTT and take a downswing

OTT is not a natural move

The backswing is made by rotating the right hand and right shoulder around the right chest.
Copy the Right Chest from the initial down, move it slightly to the right, and swing against the copied Right Chest. 
This action is a floating action and not an OTT action

Edited by ShimJoonW
Font Size Rev.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where the reply button is on this forum so had a few replies to comments. Thanks.

VIRTUOSO - He has the interpretation of Hogan's pivot exactly backwards--literally the opposite of what Hogan did. Doesn't mean his advice can't help someone, but that is not what Hogan did.

Like to see your video if possible please.

POWERFADE66 - Ben Hogan successfully sued someone for using his name and likeness in a book. To use his likeness and manipulate it with artificial intelligence like a puppet is shameful.

I put a comment on one of his videos - he didn't care. Arrogant. He also likes to generalise that modern teaching isn't good to say the least.

TPFOL - Agreed - like to see him hit balls... He is the Pro at Willow Brook Golf Course Tyler Texas for 22 years.

8 hours ago, dougkpga1 said:

VIRTUOSO - He has the interpretation of Hogan's pivot exactly backwards--literally the opposite of what Hogan did. Doesn't mean his advice can't help someone, but that is not what Hogan did.

Like to see your video if possible please.

Check pm for vid

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is his old channel. It looks like it was based on some kind of polygon geometry system he came up with. It looks like he teaches a lot of the same things but just rebranded everything as the Hogan method. Probably thought he'd get more eyeballs on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 1:44 AM, snick59 said:

Has anyone seen this guy, he has a channel on YouTube dedicated to Hogan. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2BgOXtYgno

Hi, I think Chris is a breath of fresh air tbh, he takes the golf swing back to basics and common sense, there are so many so called experts on the modern swing who just repeat each other. I think he knows more about the Hogan swing than any of the other guys on YouTube.

14 hours ago, GazBritish said:

Hi, I think Chris is a breath of fresh air tbh, he takes the golf swing back to basics and common sense, there are so many so called experts on the modern swing who just repeat each other. I think he knows more about the Hogan swing than any of the other guys on YouTube.

Not trying to be a jerk here.......but why on earth would you believe such a thing?  The man has never hit a golf ball on video.  I even asked him to post his swing, as have many others.  He never responds.  Why do you suppose that is?

Posing slow motion movement, or imagined static positions,  while never having to worry about a square club face is pretty easy.  He's never even posted a full speed swing without a ball.   I would imagine you could do a pretty fair recreation of Hogan's swing in slow motion. or pose some great Hogan positions standing in front of your mirror.

Until Chris puts his swing up for the world to see, he's just another pretender trying to get money from people that don't know any better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 9:52 PM, otto6457 said:

Not trying to be a jerk here.......but why on earth would you believe such a thing?  The man has never hit a golf ball on video.  I even asked him to post his swing, as have many others.  He never responds.  Why do you suppose that is?

Posing slow motion movement, or imagined static positions,  while never having to worry about a square club face is pretty easy.  He's never even posted a full speed swing without a ball.   I would imagine you could do a pretty fair recreation of Hogan's swing in slow motion. or pose some great Hogan positions standing in front of your mirror.

Until Chris puts his swing up for the world to see, he's just another pretender trying to get money from people that don't know any better.

Hi, why would I need to see him hitting golf balls! David ledbetter comes to mind, how many golf balls have you seen him hit over the last 40 years or so!! Anyone with a bit of skill can video themselves hitting great golf shots, Chris Hudson is a pro so doing a video of hitting great shots wouldn't be that hard for him! I am wondering how long you have been interested in the Hogan swing!? for me Chris makes sense and backs it up with common sense maybe he doesn't to you and contradicts your vision or idea of a golf swing.

7 hours ago, GazBritish said:

Hi, why would I need to see him hitting golf balls! David ledbetter comes to mind, how many golf balls have you seen him hit over the last 40 years or so!! Anyone with a bit of skill can video themselves hitting great golf shots, Chris Hudson is a pro so doing a video of hitting great shots wouldn't be that hard for him! I am wondering how long you have been interested in the Hogan swing!? for me Chris makes sense and backs it up with common sense maybe he doesn't to you and contradicts your vision or idea of a golf swing.

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but this is a terrible analogy.  Leadbetter was a very talented player.  He turned pro in 1974 and there is video of his swing.  But even better, we have video proof of his students hitting balls and demonstrating the quality of his instruction in ball striking.  His good youth players hit the ball well and there is no doubt that his instruction can produce very talented players.  He has a verifiable ability to teach the golf swing and he can point to hundreds of great players that have gotten better with his teaching.

Then we have Chris Hudson.  No evidence that he can even hit a golf ball.  Let alone hit a golf ball in any manner resembling the greatest ball striker in history.  This isn't about my vision of a golf swing.  Chris Hudson is selling lessons and giving instruction on how to swing a golf club just like Hogan.  This isn't some new methodology or a new swing pattern Chris Hudson is promoting.  He claims to know EXACTLY how Hogan swung a golf club. 

If Hudson does know how Hogan swung a club, and the secrets Hogan used to guide his swing and set-up, then let's see it at full speed.  Let's see ball flight and numbers.   Heck, I'd be inpressed if he could make a practice swing that resembled Hogan.  If he has physical limitations, then let's see his star pupil demonstrate how perfectly his instruction recreates Hogan's swing after a few years of Chris Hudson instruction. This should not be a problem for any quality golf instructor.  If you're good at teaching golf you will be eager to show off your students.  Let's see a youth player, or a college player Chris has taught.  Never mind a professional.  Because if he had a single pro in his stable we would hear endless hype about his success.  Gankas literally built his business on Mathew Wolf's success.

But we both know Chris Hudson will never do such a thing.  He's been on YouTube for years and he has never shown a single full speed golf swing.  He has never had a student demonstrate a "Hogan" looking golf swing. 

I'm fully aware that people like Chris Hudson will forever exist trying to make a living off of Hogan's legacy.  It's a shame, but it is the reality.  I dont expect you to change your opinion of Mr. Hudson just because some anonymous person on the internet disagrees with you.  I hope you continue to enjoy his videos and if he helps you hit the golf ball better, then continued success is a great thing.  We will just agree to disagree. 

Good luck on your golf journey.

• Like 3